Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Taste Halloween Costumes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Just wear a bin bag and a plastic mask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭WhoWhatWhere

osarusan wrote: »
    Get the costumes of priests with small childlike dolls attached at the groin.

That will make them wish you'd worn the skanger ones.

Holy mother of god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Holograph

Katgurl wrote: »
    Dressing up as scobies IS offensive.
    Why is it offensive though? As others have said, deeming it offensive to working-class people implies working-class people = scobies. Although on the other hand, people who are working-class may not always see it as being so cut and dry. But (and this is only what I have observed) those who give out the most about "scobies" are people who have to live near them.

Personally though, I think there are more imaginative costume ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Jesus Christ. Even picking a costume these days is a ****ing minefield that will probably get you villified on facebook.

In my day Fellas made ****e all effort. Women dressed as slut/nurses/nuns/etc.

Everybody was happy. No harm done.

These days its gonna be some one wearing the equivalent of a Band Aid covering their bits and then moaning that they are being perved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    6 ninja turtles?
    The data team - surely they should be better at numbers.

One of them shud attach a shredder to their chest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

Mind you, the data department have it right - Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo, Donatello, Venus de Milo and Slash. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Eh, I don't find this offensive, and I think you and your colleagues are coming at it innocently, but I do think it's a pretty bad idea, and far from good taste.

The problem I see with it is that it's people from a certain socio-economic bracket dressing up as those from a lower one, for fun. Even if you don't mean to cause offence, you're deliberately dressing up as those who have less status and power than you, and have probably had tougher lives than you. F*ck that.

And think it through. Ireland is a small country with a reasonable degree of social mobility. There's a good chance one of our colleagues grew up in situations like the "skangers" you'd be dressing up as. I can completely understand if they'd be p*ssed off by it. I grew up on a council estate and a lot of the people from my childhood would dress like "skangers" but be normal people. And some of them would be skangery. And I'm sorry to say that I know if any of my colleagues dressed up like that, I'd think that at best they were naïve, and at worst, snobbish.

And I especially wouldn't dream of dressing up like that for a work event. Do you think your company would want to be associated with snobbery? Not that I believe that any of you intend to be snobbish, but it's obvious that your costumes could be interpreted that way.

Even if it weren't a work do, would you dress like that in public? What if some of these "skangers" saw some middle-class guys dressed in a parody of they way they dress? Would they be understandably angry?

Just don't do it OP. I don't think you have bad intentions, but I don't think it would go down well.

Eh, I don't find this offensive, and I think you and your colleagues are coming at it innocently, but I do think it's a pretty bad idea, and far from good taste.

The problem I see with it is that it's people from a certain socio-economic bracket dressing up as those from a lower one, for fun. Even if you don't mean to cause offence, you're deliberately dressing up as those who have less status and power than you, and have probably had tougher lives than you. F*ck that.

And think it through. Ireland is a small country with a reasonable degree of social mobility. There's a good chance one of our colleagues grew up in situations like the "skangers" you'd be dressing up as. I can completely understand if they'd be p*ssed off by it. I grew up on a council estate and a lot of the people from my childhood would dress like "skangers" but be normal people. And some of them would be skangery. And I'm sorry to say that I know if any of my colleagues dressed up like that, I'd think that at best they were naïve, and at worst, snobbish.

And I especially wouldn't dream of dressing up like that for a work event. Do you think your company would want to be associated with snobbery? Not that I believe that any of you intend to be snobbish, but it's obvious that your costumes could be interpreted that way.

Even if it weren't a work do, would you dress like that in public? What if some of these "skangers" saw some middle-class guys dressed in a parody of they way they dress? Would they be understandably angry?
    If they were angry, it definitely wouldn't be understandable in my opinion - just hypersensitivity! But you make good points.

Holograph wrote: »
    If they were angry, it definitely wouldn't be understandable in my opinion - just hypersensitivity! But you make good points.

In fairness, I think it depends. If there's no personal involvement for them, then it probably would be hypersensitivity. But if someone recognised part of their or their loved ones' experience in the costume, and felt it was being laughed at or looked down upon, it'd be understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I think they are being a bit sensitive but it is a work do so it will probably be less hassle if ye change.
    If you were just nipping over to a friends then it would be different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

If you really want to cause a stir, dress as the grim reaper, wearing a black sweatshirt with REPENT written across it in white lettering.

That or sexy Donald Trump

Dolbert wrote: »
    If you really want to cause a stir, dress as the grim reaper, wearing a black sweatshirt with REPENT written across it in white lettering.

That or sexy Donald Trump

Ah now, that's too far. You don't want to give people nightmares!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Go as Sinn Fein rapists...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

You are offending the right people. These are not innocent parties. For the good of society, you must take the piss out of people who are damaging society. This is important.

The people telling you not to do it have control Issues. They want to control you, again you cannot let them beat you.

You are offending the right people. These are not innocent parties. For the good of society, you must take the piss out of people who are damaging society. This is important.

Says the man who won't have to deal with the fallout of it in his workplace!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,135 ✭✭✭✭looksee

While I don't personally think the original costume idea was particularly interesting, have you thought about who was doing the complaining...people from other departments who would be your competition in the fancy dress stakes! Maybe they thought it was brilliant and were just trying to psych you out :D

Do like the snowflake idea though, go for it! (Let on you are doing the chav thing up to the last minute though). On the other hand you will only be 'getting at' a relatively few people, all the rest might be understandably confused at this attack of passive aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

How ? like i said we all are pretty middle class so leninster hoodies / jersey whatever and |Chinos would be failry standard of a casual friday for the lads on my team. short of actually sticking on a pair of Dubes not sure how we could do the Ivor piece hahaha

But seriously, hows it offensive ?

because you're dressing as an insulting parody of poor, powerless people? Not much of an 'SJW' myself but "Poor ppl lol" isn't very funny.

Mind you, the data department have it right - Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo, Donatello, Venus de Milo and Slash. :P

Gummy Venus De Milo

Mmmmm... gummy Venus

goose2005 wrote: »
    because you're dressing as an insulting parody of poor, powerless people? Not much of an 'SJW' myself but "Poor ppl lol" isn't very funny.

Ah simmer down. It's just a halloween costume if they don't want to be poor they should shape up and get a job. These "chavs" cut around looking like they're fresh out of rehab or prison. With their hitop sneaker shoes and their tracksuit shorts and that. Not in my day, not in my day.

But in all seriousness **** em tbh the most of the chavs are scum anyway if they don't want to be made fun of don't walk around like losers.

I don't think they're being mocked for being poor. And the ones who terrorise their neighbours certainly aren't powerless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Venus de Milo, a turtle with inexplicable boobs.

And just like Mona Lisa the human/Salamander mutant, could the writers not have looked up a couple of female renaissance artists. There weren't a lot but a number of women did carve out very successful lives as artists, were accepted to the same guilds and have their works hanging in the same museums as the turtle namesakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

If the OP costumes is good enough for RTE on TV then its good enough for an office party.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

You'd think the team trying to have 6 turtles would just make two people be Beebop and Rocksteady/April and Splinter.

Between that and your overdone scaldie "costume" idea, there's not a creative thinker between ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,105 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

How could people get offended by that? Seriously

People tend to be easily offended these days. As for the OP..dress anyway you want and **** the Aholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

ugh even worse than people offended by native american head dresses. **** em

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Honourable mention to Casey Jones too :)

iguana wrote: »
    Venus de Milo, a turtle with inexplicable boobs.

And just like Mona Lisa the human/Salamander mutant, could the writers not have looked up a couple of female renaissance artists. There weren't a lot but a number of women did carve out very successful lives as artists, were accepted to the same guilds and have their works hanging in the same museums as the turtle namesakes.

Yeah, they really could have thought VdM through a bit. Even watching it as a kid I had to wonder what the point of the boobs under the carapace was about.

Still, technically a Turtle. Probably makes more sense to have the other two as April and Casey or Shredder or Karai depending on male/female split. Also, the costumes would be easier.

I grant that someone might have the vapors at dressing up as an Asian man/woman though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Thing is there's nothing worse than upper-middle class arseholes giving it the 'pint of Heino' rugger bugger shyte. Not saying the OP or his mates are but if they were I can't think of anything I'd find less funny than their skanger act. I'd take a skanger over one of those f*ckwits any day.

Dress up as:
    • Islamic terrorists
    • Travellers
    • Extreme stereotypes of gay people: assless chaps, lots of mincing
    • Black and white minstrels
    • Muhammed
    • Nazis
    • Homeless people

If anyone gets offended, f**k them, that's their problem, they choose to get offended, hypersensitive little snowflakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

So we bailed on the Skanger get ups's and did the PC Police thing (kinda based it on the PC frat from series 19 of south park. It was F'ing gas.

Would seriosly recommend people giving this a lash for haloween we just had white t-shirts with PC on the front and Safe Space Squad on the back (crudly drawn in whiteboard marker) :P , jeans boots , sunny's and police hats ... literally gave out micro aggression tickets to just about everyone and everyone got a serious laugh out of it , we wrote people up for sexisim , anti semitism , racism , islamopobia the works . we had whistles n all ... best idea ever seriously give it a shot.

BBQ went well but talking to one of the managers this morning apparently they wont be doing the Group thing next year because it caused so much hassell all week

Advertisement