Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would you like to see next LUAS line/extension?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,603 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I have re-read his post and I know exactly what he means because I have experienced same twice a day for about 2 years. It does crawl along at a snails pace, then it stops at the signal, then it crawls along again until it reaches SSG.

No-one has a problem with the thing coming to a complete stop at the signal. Its it crawling for just shy of a kilometre which is the complaint.

Theres no need to be like that.

Hang on. From the Harcourt Street/SSG/Cuffe St Junction to the SSG stop is not 1km, it's only 260m.

Within that space there is a mandatory stop signal on SSG West before the crossovers, and then immediately after that there is a crossover which the trams use to switch lines 95% of the time. Given that the trams are going to have to stop, they will naturally slow down. Using a crossover means they are subject to a speed restriction lest they derail. This is particularly relevant as the second point is spring-operated - it springs back into place after each bogey on the tram crosses over it.

As for my final comment, with respect you were the one who derided normal practice on tram systems in fairly common language. When someone explains it to you and you just suggest it's nonsense I think that my comment is justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

"The speed restrictions are there for a reason - to minimise noise disruption to local offices/residents"

ah god. imagine them having to put up with noise from something that's barely noisy as it is . they had to turn down the noise of the barely noisy bells because god love them they might have to deal with a bit of noise that is actually necessary and which exists for good reason.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

"The speed restrictions are there for a reason - to minimise noise disruption to local offices/residents"

ah god. imagine them having to put up with noise from something that's barely noisy as it is . they had to turn down the noise of the barely noisy bells because god love them they might have to deal with a bit of noise that is actually necessary and which exists for good reason.

Yeh and as I mentioned before, how come the trams in Amsterdam bomb around corners and are generally much quicker in the city than they are here? Are Irish pedestrians more stupid than Dutch pedestrians that we need our trams crawling through our city streets?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Yeh and as I mentioned before, how come the trams in Amsterdam bomb around corners and are generally much quicker in the city than they are here? Are Irish pedestrians more stupid than Dutch pedestrians that we need our trams crawling through our city streets?

some definitely are. i'm sure we will grow up one day in relation to this type of nonsense but i won't hold my breath.

if it was simply about stopping for signals and changing points they're would be no issue from me as that is correct that that should happen. but nimbys and people who can't behave, not a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Another question similar to last one is why in the uk and ireland is a speed restriction imposed on freight passing through stations when on most of the mainland freight can pass at full speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

I want to see the luas terminate at the ferry terminals in Dublin port. Or else run a small commuter carriage into the port from Heuston through the tunnel.
    Before you say it yes I know ferries arrive at unsociable hours, I've rail-sailed many times from London thank you! But like the airports, we don't have a major ferry port (dun laoghaire lost the ferry because of the yachtys cutting across it! & cobh is it's own country!!)directly linked to a rail service for passengers that operates (rosslare isn't connected directly), thank you Todd Andrews & FF!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

hytrogen wrote: »
    I want to see the luas terminate at the ferry terminals in Dublin port. Or else run a small commuter carriage into the port from Heuston through the tunnel.
    Before you say it yes I know ferries arrive at unsociable hours, I've rail-sailed many times from London thank you! But like the airports, we don't have a major ferry port (dun laoghaire lost the ferry because of the yachtys cutting across it! & cobh is it's own country!!)directly linked to a rail service for passengers that operates (rosslare isn't connected directly), thank you Todd Andrews & FF!
    There are what 4 sailings a day?

There are what 4 sailings a day?

More than 8 when you consider jonathan swift, european endeavour (liverpool) Mannanin to isle of man as well as the usuals of superfast 8 & Ulysses and the odd one to Cherbourg. Don't forget the cruise ships too, they love the train to Cork & middleton from Cobh

More than 8 when you consider jonathan swift, european endeavour (liverpool) Mannanin to isle of man as well as the usuals of superfast 8 & Ulysses and the odd one to Cherbourg. Don't forget the cruise ships too, they love the train to Cork & middleton from Cobh

Hardly enough to justify a high frequency 'rapid' transport system

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Another question: what's the purpose of the tie-in works between red and green lines? Will there be services operating from Broombridge to the Point and from Brides Glen to Tallaght?

Future flexibility. No services switching lines will be scheduled and I doubt any specials will either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Not trolling at all. Have had to take Luas from The Square Tallaght-Connolly every day of this bus strike so far and I find it irritatingly slow. It never gets going. It is a poor, ham fisted choice for connecting outer suburbs like Tallaght, Lucan etc to City Centre. Luas to Airport as someone suggested would be even worse.

Agreed. Existing LUAS lines are already too slow and overcrowded, extending them would bring them to their knees. In a city the size of Dublin trams are fine if you are not trying to cover too many areas with a single line, don't have them stop every 200 meters (or less: see Connolly and Busaras), and they are a supplement for an already existing quality transport network (both buses and trains/metros).

in fairness, Todd Andrews isn't to blame for rosslare station and terminal being disconnected. CIE are totally responsible for that one back around 2007 i think. they're are still services to rosslare however the dump that counts for a station is miles away from the terminal. not even a bus connects the 2 i believe. you will have to walk and be greatful that CIE will even let you have such a wonderful opportunity to do so, and to even use their train and port at all.

they're are also those working in the port who might use it if it was convenient enough. plenty of opportunities but more chance of me being voted in as the next irish president then that happening

they're are also those working in the port who might use it if it was convenient enough. plenty of opportunities but more chance of me being voted in as the next irish president then that happening
    There are so many areas ahead of a docklands Luas few would use in need of decent transport . Finglas , Whitehall, the areas the F line would serve.

in fairness, Todd Andrews isn't to blame for rosslare station and terminal being disconnected. CIE are totally responsible for that one back around 2007 i think. they're are still services to rosslare however the dump that counts for a station is miles away from the terminal. not even a bus connects the 2 i believe. you will have to walk and be greatful that CIE will even let you have such a wonderful opportunity to do so, and to even use their train and port at all.
    Apologies was having that nice bottle of wine & saw a FF flag, like a matadors cloth to a bull. You are correct

I'm not referring to having trams stop there every 5 minutes, but at least to coordinate around ferries amd cruise liners arrival / departure times.
    [HTML]http://www.dublinport.ie/news/2015-a-record-year-for-trade-at-dublin-port-1/[/HTML]
    wrote:
    On the tourism side, 1.8 million ferry passengers travelled through the port in 2015, representing a 5.1% increase on last year and placing Dublin Port on a par with major national airports including Cork and Shannon.

In addition, 2015 was a strong year for the port’s cruise business with 149,000 visitors on 93 cruise ships, up 8.1% and 5.9% respectively on 2014. The strong growth was driven, in particular, by the port handling cruise ships greater than 300m in length for the first time.
    if that's not justifable to have trains / trams linked to our national airports then surely they can extend the Luas 300m into the port

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I foolishly got the red line to the 3 arena a few months back, thinking it would be a short walk to the ferry! Eh it wasnt! so i just entered it on google maps, it was 3.4km to walk. So lets say it didnt drop you right door to door, but somewhere between the ferry terminals, you are still looking at 3km! It certainly isnt 300m...

I'm not referring to having trams stop there every 5 minutes, but at least to coordinate around ferries amd cruise liners arrival / departure times.
    [HTML]http://www.dublinport.ie/news/2015-a-record-year-for-trade-at-dublin-port-1/[/HTML]
    if that's not justifable to have trains / trams linked to our national airports then surely they can extend the Luas 300m into the port
    On a par! Dublin airport is approaching 30 million passengers. You don't build mass transport systems to cater for an average of 250 people an hour you use buses that's assuming everyone using the ferry takes public transport which they don't.

Also its certainly more than 300 metres

You don't build mass transport systems to cater for an average of 250 people an hour you use buses

not if you want to attract new patronage to public transport. whether people like it or not bus transport just doesn't attract people to use it compared to a tram system. now i agree with you that they're will be no luas to the port but it certainly would be an ideal add on.

it certainly would be an ideal add on.

Ideal as in an ideal world of infinite money, lines appearing overnight with no construction disruption and no need to pay it's way? Then yes ideal.

Far better extending the LUAS to Irishtown. I spend a lot of time down there and it isn't greatly served by bus. The 1 is every 30 minutes and the 47 every hour. The 47 and 1 tend to arrive at the same time heading into town too, rendering the 47 useless to me. You think there would be some joined up thinking to have the 47 arrive at irishtown (heading into town) at a time when there is no number 1 bus coming.

• Advertisement

On a par! Dublin airport is approaching 30 million passengers. You don't build mass transport systems to cater for an average of 250 people an hour you use buses that's assuming everyone using the ferry takes public transport which they don't.
    No but investment to smaller extensions like this will attract longer term returns and thus further investment into other branches and links.
    Plus the luas is ideal because it promotes Dublin as being a clean green city which foreign visitors want to see when they step off a ship or a plane. Same as the Dart.
    As well as being a fantastic link through the centre of the city to many attractive parts like temple bar, st. Stephens green, the national museums & guinness brewery but to name a few once the cross city link is completed, it makes sense.

No but investment to smaller extensions like this will attract longer term returns and thus further investment into other branches and links.
    Plus the luas is ideal because it promotes Dublin as being a clean green city which foreign visitors want to see when they step off a ship or a plane. Same as the Dart.
    As well as being a fantastic link through the centre of the city to many attractive parts like temple bar, st. Stephens green, the national museums & guinness brewery but to name a few once the cross city link is completed, it makes sense.

It makes no sense. If you've money to burn for 3 km worth of line stick it on the end into Finglas, Irishtown or halfway to Bray. All this link would be is a under used loss making folly

We need what we had 100 years ago.

1920px-Dublin_1922-23_Map_Suburbs_MatureTrams_wFaresTimes_Trains_EarlyBus_Canals_pubv2.jpg

It makes no sense. If you've money to burn for 3 km worth of line stick it on the end into Finglas, Irishtown or halfway to Bray. All this link would be is a under used loss making folly
    Where in finglas? There's no land available without compulsory purchase orders issued on family homes or businesses.
    Bray has a dart & it's fine.
    Please explain the economics of it being an "under used loss making folly" when with strategic scheduling and increasing footfall through the port annually as mentioned already that it can make a loss?

Where in finglas? There's no land available without compulsory purchase orders issued on family homes or businesses.
    Please explain the economics of it being an "under used loss making folly" when with strategic scheduling and increasing footfall through the port annually as mentioned already that it can make a loss?

Waste of money IMO as the majority who travel by ferry travel by car. That's generally why people take ferries, so they can bring their cars abroad and avoid having to rent a car.

Irishtown and Ringsend makes way more sense.

Even if every passenger and employee going via Dublin port used the Luas you are talking about 250 - 300 users per hour or if you've a Luas every 5 minutes 12- 15 users per tram.

Broombridge >Tolka Valley Park >Green space behind casement Rd >wellmount to the village or follow the green space to mellows

Broombridge >Tolka Valley Park >Green space behind casement Rd >wellmount to the village or follow the green space to mellows

I stand corrected! Perfect idea, I hope that'll be the next phase for the green line

I really think we should be moving away from Green and Red lines and have a numbering system to go with it.

Line 1: Tallaght to Connolly
    Line 2: Saggart to Point (hopefully eventually Ringsend)
    Line 3: Sandyford to Broombridge (hopefully eventually Finglas)
    Line 4: City Centre to Brides Glen

I'd imagine it can be confusing for visitors finding there are 2 red lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I really think we should be moving away from Green and Red lines and have a numbering system to go with it.

Line 1: Tallaght to Connolly
    Line 2: Saggart to Point (hopefully eventually Ringsend)
    Line 3: Sandyford to Broombridge (hopefully eventually Finglas)
    Line 4: City Centre to Brides Glen

I can't imagine it would be difficult for visitors to distinguish between our 2 lines.

Plus in your scenario your Line 1 and 2 overlap at a certain point and one stops shorter than the other. I would wager that that would be more confusing for these "visitors".

Have you ever gone to NYC? That's not really user friendly but people seem to get on with it.

• Advertisement

Nope most visitors would have visited small or medium sized cities before with multiple lines and spurs. What's more likely to confuse them is the lack of a rail link from the airport

Advertisement