Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would you like to see next LUAS line/extension?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bray Head wrote: »
    Getting back on topic, it is interesting that a corridor running roughly Harold's Cross, Terenure, Templeogue and onwards is not served at all by any kind of electrified rail. Bus services are slow too as there are almost no bus lanes in both directions. DB is also an issue but that is another story....

A feasability study with route was done for an on-street Luas out the Harold's Cross Road to Terenure and eventually past Nutgrove to Ballinteer, essentially the southside part of the 16 bus. I think it was 2007. I have looked at it and don't think it would every work. It would mean sacrificing too much road space to the Luas - Terenure would be a particular pinch point.

In the very long run there is a good case for Metro North being extended south west with stops (roughly) at Rathmines, Terenure, Templeogue village, M50, maybe one more stop in Tallaght and then meeting the Luas red line. There could be shared running with the N81 past Templeogue. It would link Tallaght (rapidly) with the CC and with a proper P&R off the M50 would be a nice entry point from the west.

This is all pipe dreaming of course: MN would be necessary and DU should get priority next.

I remember that plan and thought it was absolutely of the charts mental. The roads in the area do not lend themselves ton this and sure as it stands they can barely cope with the traffic volumes as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Yep. This is one part of the city that would need tunnelling despite not being particularly high density and not having huge potential for development along the line either.

But hey, the ground is being softened for increased funding for I to rescue the 300 people who use the train south of Gorey every day..........

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

newacc2015 wrote: »
    ( in fairness a lot of car companies brought tram companies in the US and closed them to create demand for their cars).

Was the bus manufacturers - that some had car divisions of their parent firm then or later wasn't the issue and just gives a bigger bogeyman to blame.

I blame Who Framed Roger Rabbit myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I remember that plan and thought it was absolutely of the charts mental. The roads in the area do not lend themselves ton this and sure as it stands they can barely cope with the traffic volumes as they are.

And this is the Catch-22 of transport provision in big chunks of Dublin. The traffic is ridiculous, but we can't enhance public transport because the traffic is ridiculous.

What looks 'of the charts mental' now?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Another issue is the glacially slow replacement of housing stock in Ireland.
    Even if you put a metro station into Crumlin you wouldn't be able to change the fact that most of the urban area is very small houses with very large gardens. Almost impossible to replace with higher density because of mixed ownership.
    At least with the extension of the green line to Bray you would be able to put in a fair bit of high density development around the stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Swords and the airport is a bloody obvious move the airport is still so porrly connected to the city centre with no rail availible at all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I just wish future extensions would be a loop type with other lines connecting at some points along the loop and not a point-to-point type but it'll never happen in this country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I just wish future extensions would be a loop type with other lines connecting at some points along the loop and not a point-to-point type but it'll never happen in this country...

Sounds like the Circle line proposals that were made very noisily at the time of the Green Line public inquiry - and dismissed by the inquiry as a few lines on a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Bray Head wrote:
    Another issue is the glacially slow replacement of housing stock in Ireland. Even if you put a metro station into Crumlin you wouldn't be able to change the fact that most of the urban area is very small houses with very large gardens. Almost impossible to replace with higher density because of mixed ownership. At least with the extension of the green line to Bray you would be able to put in a fair bit of high density development around the stations.

Unless you used compulsory purchase orders and that would be insane and too costly to the exchequer because you still have to have housing stock to supply these displaced residents.

Advertisement