Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster vs Munster buildup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭bennyl10

The team that scores the most points
    Clegg wrote: »
    Munster's backrow might shade Leinster's but there's a gaping chasm between the respective 10's. Sexton is superior in every aspect

Don't think we've seen enough of Tyler to say every aspect..
    I don't think he could be a much worse tackler, for example..

And of the tee he's showing some great promise..

Maybe Saturday could be the making of him!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

leakyboots wrote:
    Tasty clash in the backrow alright. I don't think POM and TOD are fully up to speed yet, I'd think POM won't start to be honest.

Those are 6 cracking back rowers and I'd be delighted with either. If you include the bench then you would favour Leinster's back row

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Don't think we've seen enough of Tyler to say every aspect..
    I don't think he could be a much worse tackler, for example..

And of the tee he's showing some great promise..

Maybe Saturday could be the making of him!

Sexton is a good defender. I really don't know where the idea he's a bad tackler comes from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Clegg wrote: »
    Munster's backrow might shade Leinster's but there's a gaping chasm between the respective 10's. Sexton is superior in every aspect.

Also Leinster have huge strength in depth in the backrow right now that one of Ruddock, Murphy or Leavy could slot in at 6 or 7 and wouldn't hinder the side in the slightest. Leinster's bench may be the winning of the game for them. There's lots of quality in the forwards there.

There's even a greater chasm between the respective 9's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

There's even a greater chasm between the respective 9's though.

I wouldn't agree with that at all. From what little I've seen of Bleyendaal he's not much more than decent. McGrath has been going very well at 9 this season. While there is certainly a fairly sizeable gap from Murray down I'd take McGrath-Sexton over Murray-Bleyendaal at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bleyendaal is too much of an unknown to even bother making such comparisons.

Munster
    awec wrote: »
    Bleyendaal is too much of an unknown to even bother making such comparisons.

Exactly. I heard on here people saying he would be the future Munster 10 and likely push for Ireland before he'd kicked a ball. He could be brilliant, so far he has been average but it's still unknown what way he will go.

I expect Luke McGrath will be benching during the six nations and maybe the AI's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭shootermacg

PoM isn't match fit, ToD isn't either. Heaslip usually raises his game for these and when he does he's the best 8 in ireland by a long shot, he's always in the ref's ear and another seven on the ground.

I think munster are a bit light at the breakdown tbh, CJ is good for a turnover, but with PoM nursing a long layoff and ToD not up to speed, I see this as an area that leinster will win handily enough. All in all, you can't look past Leinster at home for this game.

I do think though, that munster have the raw materials to have a good overall season this year, but maybe this match came too soon for them, which is a shame for munster, because the winner of this one carries a lot of confidence into the european fixtures.

I'll be mostly looking at this game to see how the scrum is going and, how munster handle the transition from attack into defense (something that's been a real pain to watch last season).

But if they hand a sneaky shooing to the odd lazy roller, I'll take it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

After his coming of age performance on Saturday, the answer to the question of who has the best back row in Ireland will simply be: "whichever one has Van der Flier".

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

All fit and firing I'd take "SOB / VDF / Heaslip" over "POM / TOD / Stander" any day of the week.

I don't see the appeal of moving the countries best openside to blindside.

Ruds/SOB/Heaslip is a better backrow IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Munster
    If it's a question of would I rather have Rhys Ruddock out there or Josh Van der Flier, then at the minute it would have to be Van der Flier.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Munster
    The thing about Van der Flier that sets him apart from other backrows at the moment is how he takes the ball into contact. He always tries to take the ball at a run rather than standing still at phase play. For someone who is relatively small he consistently gets beyond the gain line.

.ak wrote:
    I don't see the appeal of moving the countries best openside to blindside.

SOB was a blindside to begin with. He was moved to open side out of necessity and after about 18 months, it worked. I preferred him at blindside when he was smashing lads. VDF is a natural 7. Let him at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

SOB was a blindside to begin with. He was moved to open side out of necessity and after about 18 months, it worked. I preferred him at blindside when he was smashing lads. VDF is a natural 7. Let him at it

Is the old "O'Brien isn't a natural 7" as close to Godwin's law as we get in this forum?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Munster

My recollection is that he was an openside to begin with who got moved to 6 because of Jennings.

Did anyone get to the bottom of why this is on at 2pm?! I'm gonna absolutely **** faced arriving at my mates birthday that night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Is the old "O'Brien isn't a natural 7" as close to Godwin's law as we get in this forum?

Yes....but I had to look up Godwin's law!
    Makes ZERO difference what Number is on the back
    Pack balance etc the SOB 6/7 debate at Rwc 11 was a bad joke
    difficult for "fetchers" to compete as the game favours the attacking team With each passing WC cycle.
    No more POM style putting arms beyond the ball
    World rugby do not want rucks - slowing the game plus the number of injuries that occur at the ruck

Whatever it took him well over a season to be a convincing 7 and we lost a good bit of his ball carrying. He isn't getting any younger so I'd have no problem if he was the best choice at 6 or if VDF becomes the best choice at 7.
    Podge_irl wrote:
    My recollection is that he was an openside to begin with who got moved to 6 because of Jennings.
    Wasn't it to do with Wallace retiring before the world cup? Maybe I gave it wrong.

Did he play open side for Leinster to begin with?

There's no one on this island near SOBs level at openside, regardless of where you believe he started out at.

Did anyone get to the bottom of why this is on at 2pm?! I'm gonna absolutely **** faced arriving at my mates birthday that night

Correction: we'll all be ****faced at your mates birthday that night.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote:
    There's no one on this island near SOBs level at openside, regardless of where you believe he started out at.[/qwz, uote]

Hard to say that given how injury prone he has been in the last few years. He hadn't played 5/6 games in a row in how long? 2-3 years? Grand if you want to keep him for the 6 nations and a handful of champions cup games each year. That's not how you judge the other players so it's a bit pointless saying he's the best in any position.

Im delighted he's back but I wouldn't count in him.

Munster
    Yup. SOB becoming another Ferris.

Best option by a long way when fit.

Never Fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

No 1 is SOB
    No 2 is SOB
    No 3 is SOB
    ......you know the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Munster
    What does it matter if you slap a 6 on his back? It doesn't diminish his abilities and it doesn't have to change the way he plays. It's not as though VdF wins significant ball on the deck anyway. It's not like you'd have two fetchers and an off balanced back-row.

Get your best players out there, like Australia did with Pocock and Hooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Munster
    Hagz wrote: »
    What does it matter if you slap a 6 on his back? It doesn't diminish his abilities and it doesn't have to change the way he plays. It's not as though VdF wins significant ball on the deck anyway. It's not like you'd have two fetchers and an off balanced back-row.

+1 People seem to consistently forget this point. As if it makes a major difference to SOB's game if he wears 6 or 7

• Registered Users Posts: 23 2_fri

Have a spare ticket if anyone is looking. Selling face value [e15]. Which is a lot cheaper than the ones on ticketmaster at the moment!

Could meet up before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Munster
    Hagz wrote: »

This is it exactly. SOB can be just as effective no matter what position in the back row he plays. In terms of personnel it has to be himself, VdF and Heaslip if everyone is fit.

Saying he's way better than everyone else at 7 in Ireland is only half true. When he plays to the top of his game I think he's just way better than everyone in Ireland, full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

How are ticket sales going? Will they get over 40,000?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Munster
    SOB's performance against New Zealand is the best I've ever seen from any Irish Rugby player for province or country. Hit that level of workrate, accuracy and intensity that made him unstoppable and immovable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement