Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster vs Munster buildup

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Anatidaephobia

With the exception of Chisholm/Kleyn in the second row, are Munster essentially at 100% strength?

There's Sailli and technically Sherry as well, but yeah this is as close to a full strength team as I've seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Anatidaephobia

case885 wrote: »
    Saili, Arnold, Conway would be involved if fit.

I highly doubt Arnold would be starting ahead of Scannell.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Killer isn't a scrummaging prop to fear so the one weapon I saw Munster having is weakened with his selection. If you look at the units:

Tight 5: Leinster surely win this one. In the loose they are undoubtedly better. Munster may have the edge in the scrum, but Killer does mitigate that. Leinsters line-out with Toner, Nagle, Ruddock, Murphy and Heaslip is better too.

Back Row: Munster have the better unit here, but Leinsters is still pretty strong. And Heaslip always seems to raise his game for this one. And with POM just back from a long lay off will he be able to deliver as people might expect? He only got 20 mins last week against paper opposition. He'll be in for a real test of his match fitness tomorrow.

Half-Backs: For me Leinster edge this. Murray > McGrath, Sexton > Bleyendaal but I think the difference between the two 9s is less than that between the two 10s.

Centres: Robbie having his first game back probably pushes this in Munsters favour, but if he can hit the ground running this could be an area of real strength for Leinster. All he really needs to do is distribute well and create some space for Ringrose.

Back Three: Can't help but feel a lot depends on how Rob fares here. ROL is probably better than ROM, but is still inexperienced. Isa is better overall than Sweetnam, but the Munster man has the kind of pace and step that Leinster are really lacking (and really hurt us in the Pro12 final). Zebo from FB can be very good if given a sniff, but I still think he's a winger playing FB. If Rob can deliver that we might edge this one.

Bench: Leinster all the way here. Other than Casey is there anyone on Munsters bench who is better than their Leinster equivalent?

EDIT: Probably also worth mentioning that Leinster are relatively battle hardened given their start to the season. Munster have had a far easier ride until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

molloyjh wrote:
    Bench: Leinster all the way here. Other than Casey is there anyone on Munsters bench who is better than their Leinster equivalent?

Taute and JOD

case885 wrote: »
    Taute and JOD

JOD over Leavy? Not for me anyway. Leavy has been outstanding this season.

Haven't seen Taute so can't comment there, but he's only played the 1 game for Munster so can anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

The team that scores the most points
    It'll be very interesting to see how the scrum goes. If Munster had Cronin starting, I wouldn't have much doubt that the Munster scrum would have the upper hand. Ryan and Scannell need to attack Cronin in the scrum as he is an obvious weakness there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Is Jordi Murphy bribing Leo or something? , how does he keep managing to get selected over both Leavy and VDF who are consistently out performing him??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Is Jordi Murphy bribing Leo or something? , how does he keep managing to get selected over both Leavy and VDF who are consistently out performing him??

To be fair it seems (to me anyway) to be a bit of a mixed selection.
    Young / new guys getting the experience of a big match for Leinster, match sharpness for some, new partnerships and rest for others.

People are querying whether VdF is dropped and nagle in the row (admittedly one of those suggesting he is now 1st choice is only saying so to have a go), but I think if you look at no Zane plus Jack McGrath on the bench, there is no way this is a straight up first team.

Will be very interesting to see how this selection does and then to see what the selection is for Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

The team that scores the most points
    Why are people saying munster in the scrum? They haven't played anyone worth comparing themselves to. Playing vs 3 internationals, stop this madness will ye. Killer is a terrible scrummager.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Munster
    Couple of big calls in the pack, I'm surprised at Nagle getting the nod, maybe less so at Healy starting. Is VDF injured, I missed that?

• Advertisement

Munster

Have you not watched any matches this season, or is it a pre-existing bias?

Jordi has been playing superbly this season.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fair play to Cullen for going with ROL on the wing.

A brave but very welcome selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Munster
    stephen_n wrote: »
    Have you not watched any matches this season, or is it a pre-existing bias?

Jordi has been playing superbly this season.

Leavy and JvDF have both been superb this season as well. Murphy has only played about 2 and a half games worth of rugby though so it's a good chance to get some more miles on the clock before the European rugby starts.

Munster
    Leavy and JvDF have both been superb this season as well. Murphy has only played about 2 and a half games worth of rugby though so it's a good chance to get some more miles on the clock before the European rugby starts.

Yes they both have, but with all three playing well, the selections are marginal. Mind you I'm still surprised that VDF is omitted completely if he's not carrying a knock. All in all a great headache for Leo to have.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Yes they both have, but with all three playing well, the selections are marginal. Mind you I'm still surprised that VDF is omitted completely if he's not carrying a knock. All in all a great headache for Leo to have.

I think there's some really good squad management at play here. Imagine just how pumped all our flankers are going to be to perform so that they can keep getting selected?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Munster
    VdF has played some part in every game this season, including four starts. He was due a rest. Shame it's against Munster but there's other very good options and he'll be back for Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Kind of feel like I'm crashing the rugby thread with this question but not sure where else to ask .... usually when I go to the Aviva I'd stroll out from town but will have two kids this time. Hoping to park at Pembroke hockey club tomorrow but haven't done that before-does anyone know if the car park there usually fills up or would there be spaces until close to kick off time?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

sillysocks wrote: »
    Kind of feel like I'm crashing the rugby thread with this question but not sure where else to ask .... usually when I go to the Aviva I'd stroll out from town but will have two kids this time. Hoping to park at Pembroke hockey club tomorrow but haven't done that before-does anyone know if the car park there usually fills up or would there be spaces until close to kick off time?

Probably best to call them and check: http://www.pembrokewanderers.ie/

Munster
    sillysocks wrote: »

I'm also bringing young kids and the plan is to park somewhere near booterstown or Blackrock and get the train in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Munster
    Some surprising calls here by Leo - not our best team IMO, but obviously there is an eye to Europe the following two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

VdF has played some part in every game this season, including four starts. He was due a rest. Shame it's against Munster but there's other very good options and he'll be back for Europe.

I wouldn't have played him in the opener against Treviso if it meant he could play tomorrow.

I wouldn't have played him in the opener against Treviso if it meant he could play tomorrow.

We had to rotate someone out in fairness.

Match thread here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Munster have a great chance here to win. A couple of factors...Henshaw's first match, an inexperienced player in ROL on the wing and VDF rested. The Aviva doesn't match the RDS for an intimidating atmosphere so the 'home' advantage isn't as big a factor.

That and Munster are clearly the better side.

;)

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement