Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFC Final Replay - Dublin v Mayo Sat 1st October *Read Mod Note Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Robeman wrote:
    I am calling for SR to resign in order that the County Board can reassume control of senior team by appointing a manager of their own choosing who is not beholden to the players. I would futher call on this manager when appointed to dump from panel all the ringleaders of coup last year.

Call away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

you don't get it do you! It was Rochford who dropped him. Rochford made a monumental error, risk, gamble, call it what you want, but it was illogical.

Rochford won't decide who wins the All Star.

You don't get it - if Clarke was so good, then Rochford wouldn't have dropped him (unless you are saying Rochford is the most incompetent manager the world has ever seen). You don't drop the best keeper in the country, unless you have doubts about him. If his own manager has doubts about him, why shouldn't the rest of us?

Rochford knows a lot more about GAA than you or I or any other anonymous internet poster.

Putting Clarke forward for an All-Star is like me putting Colm Basquel forward because of his form for Ballyboden and claiming Gavin was wrong not to pick him. You don't make your county team on the biggest day, you don't get an All-Star, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Bonniedog wrote: »
    22/1 bar and no-one outside of above have hope in hell.

Get your money on Tipp for the double! :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Get your money on Tipp for the double! :D

200/1. Put the house on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Just for the craic- I'll humour this.
    So you're implying that the mayo players pick the team and wanted Clarke dropped- am I correct on this?

Direct answer only please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Just for the craic- I'll humour this.
    So you're implying that the mayo players pick the team and wanted Clarke dropped- am I correct on this?

Direct answer only please

Don't know what happened in Mayo but the coup against Cunningham in Galway had clear implication that some players thought that some of their team mates should not have been on the panel!

That can not be good for morale, surely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just looking at the betting for 2017:

Dublin 5/4 - ridiculously short price
    Mayo 7/2 - worth a punt
    Kerry 4/1 - about right.
    Tyrone 7/1 - mmmmmmm

That 7/2 is tasty. They're definitely my pick for Sam next year.

Connacht have Munster in the SF though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Looking through some of the post match pictures tonight and they are absolutely wonderful. The one of Keegan & Connolly is fantastic. While I have no doubt that they probably dislike each other on the pitch once the ball is thrown in, you can see the respect they have for each other in that picture. I cant wait for them appearing in an interview together in 10 or 15 years time talking back on their battles!

The one of Brogan and Andy Moran & his daughter is also a great picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Some of the fun and games from the final:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Looking through some of the post match pictures tonight and they are absolutely wonderful. The one of Keegan & Connolly is fantastic. While I have no doubt that they probably dislike each other on the pitch once the ball is thrown in, you can see the respect they have for each other in that picture. I cant wait for them appearing in an interview together in 10 or 15 years time talking back on their battles!

Some great ones of O'Shea and Philly as well.

Paul Flynn went around hugging everyone in the Inpho photos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I just watched the added time again and there were 4 decent stoppages within the 6 minutes allocated.

Substitution for Dublin which took about 20 seconds.
    Free for Mayo which took about 25 seconds
    Free to Mayo (the last one) which took 40 seconds
    Injury to Ciaran Kilkenny which stopped the game for 45 seconds

That's 130 seconds of stoppages and the full time whistle was blown after 77 mins and 30 seconds.90 seconds after the allocated 6 minutes of injury time.

The frees may be part of the run of the game and generally aren't counted towards injury time but in added time I think the players and fans understand that teams will take extra time over frees and so the ref is going to add on time to account for that and not reward time wasting and I'd be fairly sure he communicated that to the players when Cilian O'Connor was taking that last free.

So Deegan got the time added on fairly spot on and allowed a Mayo attack to develope (which is what you would expect as nobody regardless of what they might say wants the full time whistle blown when a team are moving up the field).

The countdown clock with the womens final is a farce in my opinion as there was about 1 minute left in the womens final when Dublin were given their penalty last week and it took around 45 seconds to get everything sorted after the penalty was awarded and as soon as the penalty was scored the hooter went.

Refs have to use a bit of common sense with injury time and that is what Deegan did yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Can't see that happening.Once of them will have probably killed the other by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

Keegan and Connolly most definitely do have plenty of respect for one another and I'm fairly sure that once all is said and done, they don't carry hard feelings around with them. I don't know Diarmuid Connolly, but I know that nothing that happens on the field of play is personal as far as Lee is concerned. He does what he has to in the moment, but he doesn't carry grudges or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭jacool

Mayo 7/2 - worth a punt
    Kerry 4/1 - about right.
    Tyrone 7/1 - mmmmmmm
    Kerry might be a bit of value there. If they win Munster they go up against the Connacht side of the draw. I'll assume the Dubs will win Leinster so they'd avoid them until September.
    5/4 is a joke price for a side that beat a side who tried their best to beat themselves twice (2 own goals in match 1 then goalkeeper selection cost about 6 points on Saturday too) and they still only one by a point. I think Kerry must have learnt a lesson from a semi that was there for the taking. The credit I will give Dublin is ruthless efficiency with possession. They took points in the semi and yesterday that their opponents in both those games didn't.
    Separately, I hope that ref never gets another big match - he had a chance to get everyone playing football after just 2 minutes and bottled it. After that the players just had to take their chances and see what they'd get away with. A lot as it transpired!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

jacool wrote: »
    Kerry might be a bit of value there. If they win Munster they go up against the Connacht side of the draw. I'll assume the Dubs will win Leinster so they'd avoid them until September.
    5/4 is a joke price for a side that beat a side who tried their best to beat themselves twice (2 own goals in match 1 then goalkeeper selection cost about 6 points on Saturday too) and they still only one by a point. I think Kerry must have learnt a lesson from a semi that was there for the taking. The credit I will give Dublin is ruthless efficiency with possession. They took points in the semi and yesterday that their opponents in both those games didn't.
    Separately, I hope that ref never gets another big match - he had a chance to get everyone playing football after just 2 minutes and bottled it. After that the players just had to take their chances and see what they'd get away with. A lot as it transpired!

I think Eamon Sweeney put it better than anyone else:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/eamonn-sweeney-champs-execution-trumps-mayos-huge-effort-35096123.html

In particular, this stands out:

"Dublin have won too many close games for luck to have anything to do with it - Mayo have lost too many to make excuses"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Mayo 7/2 - worth a punt
    Kerry 4/1 - about right.
    Tyrone 7/1 - mmmmmmm

Not sure the short price on Dublin is that ridiculous. They are back to back All Ireland champions and won this year's final, playing well below their best.

It's a bad price for Mayo, I think they are allot less likely to ever win a championship.

For Kerry 4/1 is alright. I wouldn't mind a few quid on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Rainman16 wrote: »
    Not sure the short price on Dublin is that ridiculous. They are back to back All Ireland champions and won this year's final, playing well below their best.

It's a bad price for Mayo, I think they are allot less likely to ever win a championship.

For Kerry 4/1 is alright. I wouldn't mind a few quid on that.
    Dublin will not win 3 in a row, that's a cert, sure they nearly threw away 2 in a row.

Tyrone look interesting but obviously Kerry are on the way back with new teams, and Mayo will come back again next year.

Will the GAA ever break this ridiculous provincial structure that is killing every county in Leinster bar Dublin, that's the real question?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Don't know what happened in Mayo but the coup against Cunningham in Galway had clear implication that some players thought that some of their team mates should not have been on the panel!

That can not be good for morale, surely ?
    Inter county panels are never the Band of Brothers that they appear to be from the outside.

Football /hurling brings all these different personalities together, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭elefant

On the black cards

I am probably as confused as the next person on black cards. I try to look at it simply - if its 100% cynical and no attempt to play the ball, then black card

A lot of thanks for this post (and I agree with most of it too), but on the subject of the black cards it partly sums up why the rule gets so much flak. People just don't understand when black cards should be awarded. The Lee Keegan incident was in no way a 'definite black card'. A cynical foul is not a black card offence; it needs to be a trip, a drag to the ground or a body check off the ball to stop a player's run after he has played the ball.

There's an issue with interpretation of course, in that referees need to decide on the spot if a player has done any of the above intentionally, but the whole issue is muddied by viewers not knowing the rules, or making up their own interpretation of what they think the rule is/should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭elefant

I think calls for Rochford to be sacked are crazily premature and knee-jerk.

In two seasons he has managed a club to an All-Ireland championship, and then a county to losing an All-Ireland final replay by a point.

Sure, the move with the goalkeeper backfired pretty spectacularly (and my heart goes out to Robbie Hennelly; I'm genuinely so sorry for the guy), but you can't judge a manager's year on one call. 99/100 Hennelly would have caught that ball. 99/100 any goalkeeper at this level would have caught that ball. Keepers make mistakes, and unfortunately for Mayo it has cost them dearly in this case, just as it cost Donegal a couple of years ago and has cost countless other teams in countless other games. If Rochford could go back with hindsight, I'm sure he'd pick Clarke but to say to loss is on his head is madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Galway players had an issue with having to drive to Athlone to do their gym work. Because it suited the manager that was working in Athlone. And eating their after training meals sitting on a bench in a dressing room. The Galway hurling panel from 2016 was more or less the same as 2015 so if the players wanted people dropped it didn't work out too well for them. But all in all the way you put it sounds a lot more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Sadly,a poor turn out for the Mayo heros at MacHale park this evening.

mayo people are claiming it was a huge turnout!? any idea of the crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,304 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Godge wrote: »
    I think Eamon Sweeney put it better than anyone else:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/eamonn-sweeney-champs-execution-trumps-mayos-huge-effort-35096123.html

In particular, this stands out:

"Dublin have won too many close games for luck to have anything to do with it - Mayo have lost too many to make excuses"

on the nose

• Registered Users Posts: 24,304 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

elefant wrote: »
    I think calls for Rochford to be sacked are crazily premature and knee-jerk.

In two seasons he has managed a club to an All-Ireland championship, and then a county to losing an All-Ireland final replay by a point.

Sure, the move with the goalkeeper backfired pretty spectacularly (and my heart goes out to Robbie Hennelly; I'm genuinely so sorry for the guy), but you can't judge a manager's year on one call. 99/100 Hennelly would have caught that ball. 99/100 any goalkeeper at this level would have caught that ball. Keepers make mistakes, and unfortunately for Mayo it has cost them dearly in this case, just as it cost Donegal a couple of years ago and has cost countless other teams in countless other games. If Rochford could go back with hindsight, I'm sure he'd pick Clarke but to say to loss is on his head is madness.

He shouldn't be sacked. He has the formula to get them back there.

He needs to learn from whatever madness took hold in swapping that keeper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Keegan's black card was a pure bottle job from Deegan.

elefant wrote: »
    my heart goes out to Robbie Hennelly; I'm genuinely so sorry for the guy)

Clarke is the one deserving of sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

One thing that the AI final showed me was that Dublin are not as good as I thought they were. I genuinely thought they'd steam roll Mayo; I felt Kerry were lucky to end up anywhere near them on the scoreboard in the semi.

The fears of Dublin dominating the game are unfounded. They're the best team in the country no doubt about it, but the others are not as far behind as I thought a couple of months ago. If Tyrone get their act together it will be a really open championship next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Godge wrote: »

There's a lot of truth in this. Easy to say it was a 1 point game and blame it on Hennelly. Sure, he didn't help, but I think Dublin are long enough in the tooth to know when to stop just running full tilt at teams and putting scores on the board (lord knows they get enough chances to do that against the lesser teams for most of the year).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Keegan's black card was a pure bottle job from Deegan.

Correct decision, Leeroy rolled the dice once too often

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Correct decision, Leeroy rolled the dice once too often

Keegan's actions didnt meet the definition contained in the black card offence. So it wasn't the correct decision.

Cynical Behaviour Fouls

Deliberately pull down an opponent.
    Deliberately trip an opponent with the hand(s), arm, leg or foot.
    Deliberately body collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of a movement of play.
    Threaten or to use abusive or provocative language or gestures to an opponent or a teammate.
    Remonstrate in an aggressive manner with a Match Official.

None of the above is what Keegan actually did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement