Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst county to be a supporter of?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Ah it was 2010 we made the final that year :P

d'oh!

it was derry we beat in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Always_Running

20 years ago today leitrim won the senior connacht title. They haven't had much to shout about since even the introduction of the back door has only brought one win against Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

20 years ago today leitrim won the senior connacht title. They haven't had much to shout about since even the introduction of the back door has only brought one win against Wicklow.

As a Louth man, I would gladly swap places with you .
    At least you tasted a bit of glory, we are waiting since 1957 for a provincial victory.
    It will come some day, I hope.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

andrew1977 wrote: »
    As a Louth man, I would gladly swap places with you .
    At least you tasted a bit of glory, we are waiting since 1957 for a provincial victory.
    It will come some day, I hope.:)

Ye won one in 2010.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Syferus wrote: »
    Ye won one in 2010.
    Jaysus I feel embarrassed now. Here was me celebrating in front of the Hogan back in 2010 thinking it was Nigel Crawford lifting the Delaney Cup when it was actually the Louth captain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Louth won in my eyes when an overweight fan swung for the ref and missed so badly that he slipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

DazMarz wrote: »
    Wicklow.

The most galling part of it would be their beating of other teams in the Championship, then seeing those other teams progress onwards and upwards... while Wicklow stagnated or even went backwards.

During the Mick O'Dwyer-era, Wicklow had some pretty impressive scalps to their credit; Kildare, Down, Fermanagh, Cavan, Longford.

Within a year of defeating Kildare, the Lilywhites were contesting an All Ireland Quarter Final, and then the following year, a Semi-Final.

Down, famously, got to an All Ireland Final the year after they shockingly fell to Wicklow.

Fermanagh, Cavan and Longford have all progressed since they were defeated by Wicklow.

Wicklow, contrarily, have not progressed at all. Being mired in Division 4 has not helped at all. The one, ignominious season in Division 3 is best left in the past.

Wicklow have also run other counties close in the past, but failed to close games out. In 2004 (or so), they ran Meath sickeningly close in Croke Park, but failed to get over the line.

There is no chance of Wicklow ever winning a provincial football or hurling title. The best hope is the early rounds of the qualifiers and trying to keep the show on the road. For a county with such a high population and with such a great, competitive club scene, it is staggering how poor the county plays. The father is a devout Wicklow man and it is gutting going to Aughrim with him (and beyond) to see Wicklow put to the sword again, and again, and again.

It is a soul-destroying county to follow. No glory in the past. None in the present. No chance of it in the future. Has to be, easily, the worst county in both codes at Senior Level.

Agree, was going to say my own Carlow. But at least we are half decent at hurling and we get to see them win Christy Rings/Div 2's etc. Last year get to run Wexford to 2 points in qualifiers atc. Wicklow just struggle badly at both.
    The Div 3 year was poor and now Wicklow are back down in Div 4 with the likes of us forever it seems.
    Wicklow overall being poor in both codes and being only county never to have won a Leinster has to be the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

In the bad old days Clare people didn't go to Purgatory. They went to Thurles instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Louth won in my eyes when an overweight fan swung for the ref and missed so badly that he slipped.
    Not so much a swing but an absolutely embarrassing attempt at a shoulder at 1:17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Not so much a swing but an absolutely embarrassing attempt at a shoulder at 1:17

"Oh that's disgraceful!"

Cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Galway hurlers. It's the delusional hope that kills you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Without doubt the Galway hurlers. It's the most heartbreaking thing in the world supporting them. Sometimes I genuinely think they sit down at the start of the year and try to come up with the most heartbreaking way possible that they can get knocked out of the championship.

A quick snapshot of the last few championship exits:
    08: lose to a declining 14 man cork despite having canning giving one if the greatest performances of all time at just 19.
    09: lose to Waterford after being 5 points up with about 6 minutes to go. Dan shanahan comes off the bench to destroy Eugene mcentee and win the game for them.
    10: give a great performance against a class tipp team but manage to give up 3 points in the last couple of minutes to lose the game by 1.
    11: 2 great performances against Clare and cork and then don't even bother turning up against Waterford in thurles and get annihilated.
    12: our best year in recent memory but still manage to draw the all Ireland despite having one hand on the cup approaching half time. Once again decide not to bother turning up for the replay.
    13: pathetic. No other words needed here.
    14: complete probably the greatest come back since Offaly in 94 to get a draw against Kilkenny, replay doesn't go well and then after putting in a superb 50 minutes against tipp they get into a winning position and decide not to bother scoring for the last 20 minutes.

So in summary, ya galway are the worst team to follow. There have been great days like wiping out Kilkenny in that Leinster final in 2012 but there has been an awful lot more bad days. It's the hope that kills you really, we know we have good hurlers but they just can't perform consistently at all and usually follow up a good performance with a very flat one.

Maybe some day we'll get to the promised land but I can't see it being any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Sligo, never win anything and going nowhere

What did I tell you all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

What did I tell you all

You really stuck your neck out with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

12: our best year in recent memory but still manage to draw the all Ireland despite having one hand on the cup approaching half time.
    I think approaching half time is a bit early to be talkin bout one hand on the trophy. You dominated for the first 20 but Kilkenny were much the better team over whole game, despite not playin great. 2nd half was pretty one sided.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

What did I tell you all

Whereas Roscommon are nearly always in the hunt for the All-Ireland and League titles

....or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Cork footballers. So much pain and heartbreak with them. Failure to beat Kerry on nearly every encounter. 2010 was different but then again we only fell over the line against a poor Down side that haven't been seen since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Annie Oakes

Worst county to be a supporter of :

Has to be Limerick.

Anytime there is a close game 95 percent of the time they fold and collapse, havent won an All Ireland since 73 despite producing unreal talented players and having great teams. They believe their own hype, their local media in limerick do a good job of making sure of that. The Limerick minor team was hotly tipped for ai success this year and should have won because they had the best set of players, but their were comfortably beaten by a kk team that was not tipped for success before the year and does not have the same level of individual talent compared to limerick. 5 maybe more of that limerick team will definitley play senior for their county, maybe 2 at max will play senior for kk from that minor team. I have no problem with the players their only there to do a job, but the attitude within that county from outsiders is totally wrong, they made semi gods of that minor team within the county and as a result the players believed their own hype and thought all they had to do was turn up and collect the cup. The papers within limerick are propaganda machines making heroes of youngfellas , you wouldnt see it in any other county .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Has to be Limerick.

Anytime there is a close game 95 percent of the time they fold and collapse, havent won an All Ireland since 73 despite producing unreal talented players and having great teams. They believe their own hype, their local media in limerick do a good job of making sure of that. The Limerick minor team was hotly tipped for ai success this year and should have won because they had the best set of players, but their were comfortably beaten by a kk team that was not tipped for success before the year and does not have the same level of individual talent compared to limerick. 5 maybe more of that limerick team will definitley play senior for their county, maybe 2 at max will play senior for kk from that minor team. I have no problem with the players their only there to do a job, but the attitude within that county from outsiders is totally wrong, they made semi gods of that minor team within the county and as a result the players believed their own hype and thought all they had to do was turn up and collect the cup. The papers within limerick are propaganda machines making heroes of youngfellas , you wouldnt see it in any other county .
    Yes these days if you are talking about leading hurling counties. They seem to have inherited the Biddy Early mantle from Clare. And they should have beaten Clare last year, but seemed to be focused on the final. Yes, they seem to be prey to media hype again and again when they promise something,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Amprodude wrote: »
    Cork footballers. So much pain and heartbreak with them. Failure to beat Kerry on nearly every encounter. 2010 was different but then again we only fell over the line against a poor Down side that haven't been seen since.

and still lost to Kerry that year, had Down not beaten Kerry that year Kerry would have beaten Cork again, the thing is great Cork teams have met average to bad Kerry teams and still managed to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

People coming in saying Limerick Mayo Cork Waterford etc need to gain a sense of perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

feargale wrote: »
    Yes these days if you are talking about leading hurling counties. They seem to have inherited the Biddy Early mantle from Clare. And they should have beaten Clare last year, but seemed to be focused on the final. Yes, they seem to be prey to media hype again and again when they promise something,
    The Limerick Leader had a 28 page special pullout for the All Ireland Minor Final. Yes, TWENTY EIGHT pages for a minor final. No wonder the poor lads buckled when you have the local joke media creating comical levels of hype.

The Leader are by far the worst for this kind of sensationalism and hype. Live 95fm are not far behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

grenache wrote: »
    The Limerick Leader had a 28 page special pullout for the All Ireland Minor Final. Yes, TWENTY EIGHT pages for a minor final. No wonder the poor lads buckled when you have the local joke media creating comical levels of hype.

The Leader are by far the worst for this kind of sensationalism and hype. Live 95fm are not far behind them.

is this exclusive for Limerick CLG or are they worse for Munster rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

How could you possibly write 28 pages about a minor final? I presume at least half of that had to be ads (Good Luck Limerick from X, Y and Z). Even with thaT, that some amount of space to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

iDave wrote: »
    People coming in saying Limerick Mayo Cork Waterford etc need to gain a sense of perspective.

But its all relative.
    For example Mayo loosing 7 All Ireland finals in 7 appearance is similar to Carlow loosing a Lenister final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 The Whisperer

grenache wrote: »

Thats shocking.

I know they are probably far more used to it compared to other counties but Id imagine KK minor side didnt get hardly any media space in their local media.

It is typical of Limerick tho to get far carried away with their own hype,seems to be a huge sort of "badwagoners" within the city that just get over hyped and will just heap extra pressure and give the players big heads needlessly in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Stinicker wrote: »
    and still lost to Kerry that year, had Down not beaten Kerry that year Kerry would have beaten Cork again, the thing is great Cork teams have met average to bad Kerry teams and still managed to lose.

You are correct. Kerry won 2010 replay. I disagree with you saying great Cork teams. Great and Cork football never go together. Cork footballers are a pity to those who support them. I think they are cursed. No heart especially when playing Kerry. The heads of Cork GAA are corrupt and one of the main reasons why they constantly underachieve. Our hurlers are following suit too. Thats my opinion........Awaits bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Amprodude wrote: »
    You are correct. Kerry won 2010 replay. I disagree with you saying great Cork teams. Great and Cork football never go together. Cork footballers are a pity to those who support them. I think they are cursed. No heart especially when playing Kerry. The heads of Cork GAA are corrupt and one of the main reasons why they constantly underachieve. Our hurlers are following suit too. Thats my opinion........Awaits bashing.

Look,many years see Kerry failing to live up to expectations.Cork have many fine footballers and at least did get to taste glory in 2010. I remember watching the homecoming on TV,the south mall packed to capacity with supporters awaiting the team bus. I'd bet Mayo,for example would love one shot at the big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I don't buy this claim that All Irelands mean as much to Kerry or Kilkenny as they would to Mayo or Waterford. Are you going to tell me that winning the league means as much to Man United as it did to Leicester?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I don't buy this claim that All Irelands mean as much to Kerry or Kilkenny as they would to Mayo or Waterford. Are you going to tell me that winning the league means as much to Man United as it did to Leicester?

Are you talking to two years ago?

As for what it means to Kilkenny...depends who you beat.

Advertisement