Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst county to be a supporter of?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Sligo, never win anything and going nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

deadybai wrote: »
    I'd hate to be from a county that never wins anything. I'd say a big county like Wicklow is the worst to support because at least in a small county like Louth or Leitrim you might know a few players personally. When you think about it, what the hell goes on in Wickow? A County of that size should be at least competitve.

To say KK wouldnt appreciate the All Ireland as much as another county is bull. When Tipp beat us in 2010 there was some depression in the county. And when we beat them in 2011 the joy was like nothing else. KK would have to win at least ten in a row before it would start getting a bit stale :P

See depression in the county when you lost an all-ireland and joy the next year. Kk had to wait one year from depression to joy. You have no idea what it's like to be from a regular county.

• Site Banned Posts: 28 Aislinn.B

Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Sligo, never win anything and going nowhere

sligo had a good run last decade to be fair. a number of connacht finals, numerous wins over mayo and galway at senior level (something we haven't done since 2001 :(). we have won multiple connacht club, minor and under 21 titles since 2005 and still can't beat mayo or galway at senior level.

i was in croke park in 2002 when sligo beat tyrone, i was in the hyde in 2007 when they beat galway. supporters of counties like offaly, wicklow, carlow etc would give their right hand to have had some of sligos success over the last 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Does not compute. Meath are "average" yet Down are "decent"? We beat Down in the league this year with a bigger injury list than three weeks ago. Down are a very poor side this year.

Wouldn't have Kildare or Mayo anywhere near the top of this list. You can make cases for/against a lot of the smaller teams. Carlow would be up there though they've had some success at underage hurling level. Fermanagh also, having never even won a provincial title though they were just a point away from making an All Ireland final 10 years ago. I think Wicklow would be my choice. For a county that size never to have won a provincial title (unless you count the Bray team that represented Dublin from the 1800s)

The only thing about supporting a so-called "weaker" team, is that if/when relative success comes along, that success is savoured and appreciated so much more by their supporters than the same success for bigger teams.
    Down are hardly a poor side, but for a late Cavanagh free they would have beaten Tyrone this year. The league means absolutely nothing come championship time. Meath are an average Division 2 outfit and will be lucky to be within 15 points of Dublin tomorrow.

Take the green and gold blinkers off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Mayo Constant almost there seasons. Always falling at the final fence. Put their fans through emorional and financial pain

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Nib wrote: »
    Down are hardly a poor side, but for a late Cavanagh free they would have beaten Tyrone this year. The league means absolutely nothing come championship time. Meath are an average Division 2 outfit and will be lucky to be within 15 points of Dublin tomorrow.

Take the green and gold blinkers off.

Maybe you should take the green and gold chip off your shoulder.

I've never seen the like of ye Kildare lads. Meath beat yas a few weeks ago and yas are obsessed about trying to prove ye are better than them since.

The game happened 3 weeks ago and Kildare lost. That's what matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Worst county must be Dublin. Imagine have to listen to 80,000 Dublin accents in Croke Park for each game. Must be head wrecking.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Maybe you should take the green and gold chip off your shoulder.

I've never seen the like of ye Kildare lads. Meath beat yas a few weeks ago and yas are obsessed about trying to prove ye are better than them since.

The game happened 3 weeks ago and Kildare lost. That's what matters.
    Have you got some sort of alarm that goes off every time Kildare is mentioned on Boards.ie? Your obsession with all things Kildare is hilarious.

I know you have no vested interested in the All Ireland race anymore after Cavan's hammering last week, but for God's sake tone down the Kildare fascination. You're starting to embarrass yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Definitely not the worst county, but it isn't easy being a Cork football supporter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Syferus wrote: »
    Ballagh is in Roscommon and those that can play for the closest Roscommon clubs. Some poor Roscommon souls like Sean Kilbride, Andy Moran, Pierce and Cian Hanley and Sharoize Akram weren't so lucky.

It was worth hanging on to Ballagh just to hear Rossies complain about it over a century later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Offaly.

First year going to matches was 1997.We destroy everybody in Division 4 and win the Leinster championship playing a faboulous brand of football.

1998: Footballers win the NFL and Hurlers win the all ireland.

Since then nothing but heartbreak and now hopelessness as both teams are as bad as they have been for a very long time..

At least if you support a bad team you can accept that and not have any hope, there is nothing quite as bad as hope as it leads mainly to disappointment. Anyone who started supporting Offaly around my time was set up for a fall and has had to suffer for a fair few years with no signs of improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Definitely not the worst county, but it isn't easy being a Cork football supporter.
    The heart does bleed for a team that won an All-Ireland in the last 5 years alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Wicklow in football. They've never won Leinster, which is surprising given how decent their club football champions can be. Certainly competitive enough to reach a Leinster Final in the 20th century anyway!

Hurling wise. Take your pick of about 20 counties.

The heart does bleed for a team that won an All-Ireland in the last 5 years alright.

It's more the tradition of underperforming on the big day that I was getting at, got to 24 finals and lost 17 of them, that's only 4 less losses than Kerry who got to 57 finals.

Obviously not the worst, but far from the easiest to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

The likes of Leitrim have never even played in an All Ireland QF.

But they have played in an All-Ireland Semi Final.

Have you got some sort of alarm that goes off every time Kildare is mentioned on Boards.ie? Your obsession with all things Kildare is hilarious.

I know you have no vested interested in the All Ireland race anymore after Cavan's hammering last week, but for God's sake tone down the Kildare fascination. You're starting to embarrass yourself.

Good man yourself. For a start Kildare weren't mentioned in your post I responded to but for your interest:

It's impossible to avoid Kildare when they're brought up on every thread. The Dublin Meath match thread was even turned into a discussion about Kildare being better than Meath.

Now you're coming onto this thread throwing unnecessary digs at Meath again.

You also entered the Cavan thread recently to mention a former Kildare player.

The only thing embarrassing is that you feel you're in some sort of dick measuring contest to prove how good Kildare are.

radharc wrote: »
    But they have played in an All-Ireland Semi Final.

Yes, 20 years ago. For worst county to support I'd be thinking of counties that haven't played in Croker in that length of time.

The QFs were introduced in 2001 and I'd be looking at counties have yet to make a QF. Kildare have made plenty of QFs and a semi in that time and are far from the worst county to support IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Trixy_Trollox

It's clearly dublin. If we don't win we're laughed at and when we do we apparently cheat 'cause we play in Croker

• Advertisement

In fairness, the fans of the likes of Kilkenny and Kerry win all the time. Another All-Ireland to them, is just that, another All-Ireland.

Fans from those counties will never experience the insane high that other counties get from winning All-Irelands.

Wouldn't say they think of it as "another All-Ireland", there is obviously a sense of joy and satisfaction attached to it, but I'd say there's no comparison between how they feel and how supporters of teams such as Armagh/Tyrone/Mayo would feel if they won the football or if Waterford ever win the hurling again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I agree we probably have one of the worst records in AIFs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Kerry because when they lose are very bad sports people. I reckon its because they win so often and rarely taste defeat.

Good man yourself. For a start Kildare weren't mentioned in your post I responded to but for your interest:

It's impossible to avoid Kildare when they're brought up on every thread. The Dublin Meath match thread was even turned into a discussion about Kildare being better than Meath.

Now you're coming onto this thread throwing unnecessary digs at Meath again.

You also entered the Cavan thread recently to mention a Kildare player.

The only thing embarrassing is that you feel you're in some sort of dick measuring contest to prove how good Kildare are.
    Johnston's not a Kildare player.

Johnston's not a Kildare player.

Edited to include the word "former".

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

citykat wrote: »
    P***take surely?
    No, he's talking about football fans. Kilkenny don't play football. They are 1 trick ponies.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Meath after today :( we were shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Meath after today :( we were shocking
    The worst team ever in a Leinster Final against any Dublin team and I primarily blame the management team as the players looked as if there minds were elsewhere and they weren't with it or in to it.
    No guile, hunger, intelligence, focus, basic ball skill, concentration, agression until it was far too late.

The match was really won by halftime.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

FREETV wrote: »
    The worst team ever in a Leinster Final against any Dublin team and I primarily blame the management team as the players looked as if there minds were elsewhere and they weren't with it or in to it.
    No guile, hunger, intelligence, focus, basic ball skill, concentration, agression until it was far too late.

The match was really won by halftime.

Agreed the game plan if there was one simply didn't work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Bernard Flynn would be able to get the most out of that panel of lads.
    Mick O' Dowd is too nice and soft and unfortunately isn't up to the job.
    No malice intended.
    I have never seen as bad a performance as that.

I cannot see him lasting beyond this season unless things change drasticly for the better.

Advertisement