Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst county to be a supporter of?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Ya say you'd never get tired of winning all-irelands, maybe that is true for some, but I don't doubt that winning your 4th all-ireland in a row can't compete with a breakthrough after a long time without winning. I'd still get massive jubilation from one game won as much as anything else.

Many great days, but to be honest the 2009 victory over Galway sheerly for the manner of it was up there with all and I think if we'd beaten Kilkenny last year it would have been the pinnacle possibly or very near it, even if you would say neither team was near as strong as they were some 6 years previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Jesus, please dont ask PTH2009 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I was well into my twenties before I saw my first Leitrim jersey. Very small population though (fewer than 32k people).

They're better supported than a lot of far bigger counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

citykat wrote: »
    How would you know?

I'm from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Kildare

Even provincially they break my heart.

How so? 1 final appearance in 10 years. Hardly the Mayo of Leinster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I'm uncomfortable with the title of "worst" county to support as it would indicate that supporting the county is based primarily upon their performance rather than the tangible enjoyment that supporters get from watching their team.

Leitrim people will forever trade on the emotion 20 years ago of their Connacht title. These days with a comparative population to that of Swords here in Dublin - I'd fancy a combined team of Fingallians/Finians to beat Leitrim, but I'd still expect the people of Leitrim to enjoy seeing their county play

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I'm uncomfortable with the title of "worst" county to support as it would indicate that supporting the county is based primarily upon their performance rather than the tangible enjoyment that supporters get from watching their team.

Leitrim people will forever trade on the emotion 20 years ago of their Connacht title. These days with a comparative population to that of Swords here in Dublin - I'd fancy a combined team of Fingallians/Finians to beat Leitrim, but I'd still expect the people of Leitrim to enjoy seeing their county play

Not a chance two intermediate teams would beat a county team.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bunk Moreland

ardmacha wrote: »
    Lovely stadium, especially the one third of it actually in Co. Armagh!

Armagh, the county that seems to extend it's borders further and further into Down the more you talk to Armagh supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Miccoli wrote: »
    Not a chance two intermediate teams would beat a county team.

We'll agree to disagree. The point I was making really was that the expectation level for Leitrim would be below that of other IC teams, the point that Swords could field a team made up of AFL2 & 3 players is moot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Id probably say Waterford. "This year is our year" but their year never comes. They are the Liverpool Football Club of Hurling without the illustrious history obviously.

Offaly are another too i suppose mainly because of the steep declline in both codes and the fact they had fond memories of success they had in both, very sad too see how far they have fallen. There was once a time where teams feared playing Offaly. Not so much these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭randd1

In fairness, the fans of the likes of Kilkenny and Kerry win all the time. Another All-Ireland to them, is just that, another All-Ireland.

Fans from those counties will never experience the insane high that other counties get from winning All-Irelands.

Your county has obviously never beaten Tipp in an AI hurling final, or Cork in a football final so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Armagh, the county that seems to extend it's borders further and further into Down the more you talk to Armagh supporters.

At least all of our county pitch is in our county. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I'm from Cork.

Good for you. I'm planning on taking the week off after the AI along with a lot of my mates. If we're beaten, it'll be one long week. If we win, the sky's the limit. Any time KK win an AI it's not just another AI to me.

citykat wrote: »
    Good for you. I'm planning on taking the week off after the AI along with a lot of my mates. If we're beaten, it'll be one long week. If we win, the sky's the limit. Any time KK win an AI it's not just another AI to me.

I agree completely, just because we win a lot doesnt mean were emotionless or we dont appreciate a big win in a particular game. Id guarantee if we win the All Ireland this year people will be overjoyed considering the year we had last year and the manner in which we were written off. Our qualifier game V Tipp last year is one such example in what it meant to Kilkenny supporters to beat Tipp in our own back yard. Nowlan Park was packed to the rafters. I can safely say that this particular match meant as much to me as any All Ireland we were in and its definately no 1 on the list of KK games Ive been at in my time and believe me I go to them all be it Senior, U21 or Minor. The atmosphere was surreal, the tension before the game in the crowd, the roar when the teams were announced before the game that there were 3 last minute changes to the team, Henry added to the bench, Paul Murphy to start etc plus when henry came on as a sub, the roof nearly came off not to mention the pitch invasion at the final whistle. That game meant a lot to us KK supporters so to say its nothing to us because our team wins a lot means absolutely frig all in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Newson123

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Id probably say Waterford. "This year is our year" but their year never comes. They are the Liverpool Football Club of Hurling without the illustrious history obviously.

Nah, we can't complain too much. We've had a fair bit of success and usually get a long summer. We never expect 'this year is our year.' We have learnt to temper our expectations.

Newson123 wrote: »
    Nah, we can't complain too much. We've had a fair bit of success and usually get a long summer. We never expect 'this year is our year.' We have learnt to temper our expectations.

I suppose you are right there but yee didnt win as much as ye probably could have in the noughties but for the presence of great Cork and Kilkenny teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Has to be Wicklow, there is so much GAA in the towns a villages but never a mention about the county anywhere.

Fortress Aughrim??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Has to be Wicklow, there is so much GAA in the towns a villages but never a mention about the county anywhere.

Fortress Aughrim??

For a county it's size it has massively underachieved in football. Need a bigger senior championship in hurling if ye're ever to get anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Kildare would have to be up there. We're probably the most unpredictable football team in Ireland. McGeeney's first year started with a defeat to lowly Wicklow but somehow ended up in a QF and were a kick of a ball and a bad refereeing decision away from an AI final a year later. The Donegal QF extra time defeat in 2011 was heartbreaking as well. Self destruct mode at it's finest.

This year has been similar, lose to an average Meath team in the opening round then go up the Newry and hammer a decent Down team by 10 points. God only knows what tomorrow has in store.

Our minor, U21s and junior teams have all been hugely successful in recent years, but for whatever reason, our seniors just cannot buy silverware.

Our County Board are a laughing stock within the county. Showing McGeeney the door because 1 or 2 clubs got upset because he wouldn't release players for league games. Jason Ryan has not improved the situation on this front, yet there's not a word said. Don't get me started on the whole SJ affair..

Other than Kildare, I would say Mayo. Surely nobody could begrudge them an All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Mate's brother (from Offaly) was at that match and left in disgust with about 7 minutes to go.

Heard a lot of celebrating passing Berminghams and popped his head in to see... :D

I'd say being an Offaly supporter then was so good. Reeling in the years style

• Advertisement

Its sad to see what has happened to Offaly, at this moment in time Id say a day out in Croker means a lot to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

52 posts in and nobody has mentioned Louth. Wouldn't know one end of a hurley from the other and the football team hasn't won an all-Ireland or a Leinster since 1957.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Mayo
    they win Connacht all the time get to the finals regularly and still can't get there

also football is soo important to them that they annexed some of roscommon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballaghaderreen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Tigger wrote: »
    Mayo
    they win Connacht all the time get to the finals regularly and still can't get there

also football is soo important to them that they annexed some of roscommon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballaghaderreen

Ballagh is in Roscommon and those that can play for the closest Roscommon clubs. Some poor Roscommon souls like Sean Kilbride, Andy Moran, Pierce and Cian Hanley and Sharoize Akram weren't so lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Nib wrote: »
    Kildare would have to be up there. We're probably the most unpredictable football team in Ireland. McGeeney's first year started with a defeat to lowly Wicklow but somehow ended up in a QF and were a kick of a ball and a bad refereeing decision away from an AI final a year later. The Donegal QF extra time defeat in 2011 was heartbreaking as well. Self destruct mode at it's finest.

This year has been similar, lose to an average Meath team in the opening round then go up the Newry and hammer a decent Down team by 10 points. God only knows what tomorrow has in store.

Our minor, U21s and junior teams have all been hugely successful in recent years, but for whatever reason, our seniors just cannot buy silverware.

Our County Board are a laughing stock within the county. Showing McGeeney the door because 1 or 2 clubs got upset because he wouldn't release players for league games. Jason Ryan has not improved the situation on this front, yet there's not a word said. Don't get me started on the whole SJ affair..

Other than Kildare, I would say Mayo. Surely nobody could begrudge them an All Ireland.

Kildare wouldn't even be close on this. You've had plenty of days out. The likes of Leitrim have never even played in an All Ireland QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

New York. One game a year and if they win that it causes all kinds of hassle with them unable to play the next round in ireland. At least they always get a picture in 'season of Sunday's' each year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭deadybai

I'd hate to be from a county that never wins anything. I'd say a big county like Wicklow is the worst to support because at least in a small county like Louth or Leitrim you might know a few players personally. When you think about it, what the hell goes on in Wickow? A County of that size should be at least competitve.

To say KK wouldnt appreciate the All Ireland as much as another county is bull. When Tipp beat us in 2010 there was some depression in the county. And when we beat them in 2011 the joy was like nothing else. KK would have to win at least ten in a row before it would start getting a bit stale :P

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Fermanagh has the smallest number of clubs to choose county players from in Ireland
    Our expectations aren't high when it comes to the county team but winning an ulster is the aim each year

The Fermanagh county boards approach to underage development is very poor

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Nib wrote: »
    Does not compute. Meath are "average" yet Down are "decent"? We beat Down in the league this year with a bigger injury list than three weeks ago. Down are a very poor side this year.

Wouldn't have Kildare or Mayo anywhere near the top of this list. You can make cases for/against a lot of the smaller teams. Carlow would be up there though they've had some success at underage hurling level. Fermanagh also, having never even won a provincial title though they were just a point away from making an All Ireland final 10 years ago. I think Wicklow would be my choice. For a county that size never to have won a provincial title (unless you count the Bray team that represented Dublin from the 1800s)

The only thing about supporting a so-called "weaker" team, is that if/when relative success comes along, that success is savoured and appreciated so much more by their supporters than the same success for bigger teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mod9maple wrote: »
    52 posts in and nobody has mentioned Louth. Wouldn't know one end of a hurley from the other and the football team hasn't won an all-Ireland or a Leinster since 1957.

AND were robbed of a Leinster title in 2010 by a last minute try and blind officials.

Advertisement