Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst county to be a supporter of?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Winning multiple all Irelands over a period of time, is all about legacy building and keeping your traditional rivals on the back foot. Two very, very precious things for a GAA supporter. It's not as simple as saying that an AI win for County A, means more than it does for County B. Mayo aside, of course. Them finally winning the damm thing, is on a whole other level. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Worst county to be a supporter of?

Simple answer: Any county except your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Flukey wrote: »
    [/B]Simple answer: Any county except your own.

In have often thought about what it would be like to be from Kerry...

It actually makes me ill. BLEUGH!!!

COYBIB!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Let me rephrase it- do you really think Clare's win in 1995 was in any way comparable to Kilkenny winning an All-Ireland? Or how much does a Connacht title mean to Mayo compared to Sligo or Leitrim?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

The worst- kildare... the expectations, the heartache, the watching your son hold back tears when we are beaten...

The best kildare- the memories good and bad we are the lily whites.....

CILL DARA ABÚ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I don't buy this claim that All Irelands mean as much to Kerry or Kilkenny as they would to Mayo or Waterford. Are you going to tell me that winning the league means as much to Man United as it did to Leicester?

They clearly don't , you only have to see the lack of celebration from Kilkenny after they're last all ireland win.

It actually must be quite boring to support the likes of Kilkenny and Kerry as the sheer unbridled joy of a big victory is gone as you know there will be another one around the corner and don't have to savour it.

Ideally a team like Mayo/Waterford (with the odd all ireland win) would be great to support, always there or thereabouts and you know that when they do win the big one it will be remembered forever as they'll never get to the stage of winning multiple all ireland in every single decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Topcat32

They clearly don't , you only have to see the lack of celebration from Kilkenny after they're last all ireland win.

It actually must be quite boring to support the likes of Kilkenny and Kerry as the sheer unbridled joy of a big victory is gone as you know there will be another one around the corner and don't have to savour it.

Ideally a team like Mayo/Waterford (with the odd all ireland win) would be great to support, always there or thereabouts and you know that when they do win the big one it will be remembered forever as they'll never get to the stage of winning multiple all ireland in every single decade.

I support Kilkenny and I havent being bored in years. I think its more about the tradition and style of the team rather than winning or losing, thats why for me teams like Mayo and Kilkenny are great teams to support even if there is a big difference in what they have won. I've rarely seen a match which involved Kilkenny hurlers or Mayo footballers that hasn't been interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

What you don't understand is that players from these counties are comparing themselves with previous generations rather than with the rest of the country. You need to win 5 medals for KK or Kerry in order to compare with past greats.

Topcat32 wrote: »
    I support Kilkenny and I havent being bored in years. I think its more about the tradition and style of the team rather than winning or losing, thats why for me teams like Mayo and Kilkenny are great teams to support even if there is a big difference in what they have won. I've rarely seen a match which involved Kilkenny hurlers or Mayo footballers that hasn't been interesting.

Yeah I guess going to every single match knowing you are in contention an that they always have good players to watch play is a good feeling to have alright but the winning can't possibly have the same feeling that it has in a lot of other counties because everyone in Kilkenny is so used to it.Seems to me Kilkenny get a sense of satisfaction from winning rather than joy.

What you don't understand is that players from these counties are comparing themselves with previous generations rather than with the rest of the country. You need to win 5 medals for KK or Kerry in order to compare with past greats.

Thats true also but you just don't see the same release from players or fans as you do with other counties.

When Dublin won in 2011 you could see how much it meant to the players and fans because they had waited 16 years for an All Ireland, they reaction to the last few seems to be more a reaction of satisfaction rather than sheer joy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Anyone who thinks that a teams reaction at the final whistle, is the sole indicator of what a win means to them, is taking a very narrow minded view of sport

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that a teams reaction at the final whistle, is the sole indicator of what a win means to them, is taking a very narrow minded view of sport

No it obviously doesn't mean everything but it a degree of an indication.

One of my friends in work is a big Dublin fan and he said his interest dipped significantly after the All Ireland win in 2011, just said it wasn't quiet the same for him anymore and I suspect he's not the only fan or player to have that sort of feeling.

Sometimes the anticipation after an epic journey is better than the end result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Worst county to support? Christ twould have to be Mayo.
    And before anyone jumps down my throat just let me quickly explain.
    I'm a Kerryman and I tell you the sickening feeling of a lost all ireland is fcuking heartbreaking.walking out of croker after tyrone had once again put one over on us, Undescribable. " But there not better than us are they? They can't be better than us" going round in your head as you head for a consolation few pints as you hear an acceptance speech boom out on the tanoy back in croker and that nordie accent giving you a headache.
    Or being heckled from every window garden and balcony by drunken dubs, take that yous smelly Culchie baxtards. "Oh no not again"
    And it lasts along time that feeling. And just when your getting over it, your back into the championship again and looking at fixtures. When do we play these guys or those guys? A chance to settle the score. But what if we loose? Again?

That's why I really do feel for the genuine mayo supporters , not the bandwagon brigade that every county has that turn up for the big match and a few pints and could hardly name the team. But the guy ones going to be like a dog all winter. They've had more than there fair share of disappointment on the only day that matters. And most don't have the memory of the last great success to keep them warm at night. So Mayo fans, the genuine mayo fans(you know who you are) , I salute you. For continuing to support your county that has brought you so much heartache. If the highs match the lows then you'll be in for one wild ride when you eventually get over that line.

When will that be? Well I guess we're just going to have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Worst county to support? Christ twould have to be Mayo.
    And before anyone jumps down my throat just let me quickly explain.
    I'm a Kerryman and I tell you the sickening feeling of a lost all ireland is fcuking heartbreaking.walking out of croker after tyrone had once again put one over on us, Undescribable. " But there not better than us are they? They can't be better than us" going round in your head as you head for a consolation few pints as you hear an acceptance speech boom out on the tanoy back in croker and that nordie accent giving you a headache.
    Or being heckled from every window garden and balcony by drunken dubs, take that yous smelly Culchie baxtards. "Oh no not again"
    And it lasts along time that feeling. And just when your getting over it, your back into the championship again and looking at fixtures. When do we play these guys or those guys? A chance to settle the score. But what if we loose? Again?

That's why I really do feel for the genuine mayo supporters , not the bandwagon brigade that every county has that turn up for the big match and a few pints and could hardly name the team. But the guy ones going to be like a dog all winter. They've had more than there fair share of disappointment on the only day that matters. And most don't have the memory of the last great success to keep them warm at night. So Mayo fans, the genuine mayo fans(you know who you are) , I salute you. For continuing to support your county that has brought you so much heartache. If the highs match the lows then you'll be in for one wild ride when you eventually get over that line.

When will that be? Well I guess we're just going to have to wait and see.

Good post!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

No it obviously doesn't mean everything but it a degree of an indication.

One of my friends in work is a big Dublin fan and he said his interest dipped significantly after the All Ireland win in 2011, just said it wasn't quiet the same for him anymore and I suspect he's not the only fan or player to have that sort of feeling.

Sometimes the anticipation after an epic journey is better than the end result.

I would agree that 2011 was the sweetest of all of our victories. Though if there's the played ball last year, pummelling Kerry would have probably edged it.

In 2013 I didn't really feel worried watching it. Always thought we could do it. Then this year the scare on the first day has to be tempered by the fact they equalised to get it to the replay not us, so I always felt we would win yesterday too.

2011 will never be beaten.

As an aside, for my sins I am a Maple Leafs fab in Ice Hockey and like Mayo they've not won the Stanley Cup in aeons (1967) so every year the Leafs 4 Stan campaign kicks into gear only to be inevitably punctured by another crushing disappointment. I feel though that while the victory will be the sweetest thing when it comes there's a certain joy in the misery that runs through the veins of fans.

Thing is, I think when Mayo win one, they'll probably win a couple more in quick succession afterwards once the monkey is off the back.

Advertisement