Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst county to be a supporter of?

Options
  • 17-07-2014 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭

2 schools of thought of this one. You either go with fans of teams who never win or fans of teams who get incredibly close to winning but always fail at the final hurdle.

Of all the counties in Ireland, Fermanagh and Wicklow are the only 2 never to have won a Senior Provincial title in either football or hurling.

The flipside are the counties who are so close, yet so far. I'm thinking of Mayo and Kildare in football and Limerick and Waterford in hurling. For me, Limerick stand out. Mayo have played in more All-Ireland finals of late but in truth, never looked likely to ever win one of those finals.

On the flipside, Limerick threw away the 5 minutes final in 1994. I have no doubt the supporters on the hill were already celebrating victory. In 1996, they were heavy favourites and yet still lost to a Wexford team which I'd consider one of the poorer teams to win an All-Ireland. In addition, Wexford played the entire 2nd half with only 14 players after Eamon Scallan got sent off.

Unlimited heartbreak indeed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

2 schools of thought of this one. You either go with fans of teams who never win or fans of teams who get incredibly close to winning but always fail at the final hurdle.

Of all the counties in Ireland, Fermanagh and Wicklow are the only 2 never to have won a Senior Provincial title in either football or hurling.

The flipside are the counties who are so close, yet so far. I'm thinking of Mayo and Kildare in football and Limerick and Waterford in hurling. For me, Limerick stand out. Mayo have played in more All-Ireland finals of late but in truth, never looked likely to ever win one of those finals.

On the flipside, Limerick threw away the 5 minutes final in 1994. I have no doubt the supporters on the hill were already celebrating victory. In 1996, they were heavy favourites and yet still lost to a Wexford team which I'd consider one of the poorer teams to win an All-Ireland. In addition, Wexford played the entire 2nd half with only 14 players after Eamon Scallan got sent off.

Unlimited heartbreak indeed.

I was on the hill in 94 and the Limerick supporters had actually started moving down to climb the fence for the pitch invasion, before Dooley started the ball rolling for Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The likes of Limerick, Mayo, Waterford get to celebrate the odd provincial title and have some big wins against major teams to look back on. Theres a feeling in those counties their patience will eventually be rewarded.
    Wicklow, Carlow etc don't even have that so my vote goes to counties like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

Westmeath this year has been very depressing. My local club Padraig Pearses in Roscommon have appeared in 10 Senior County Hurling and Football Finals since 2005 including double defeats in 2008 and 2012, our record is drawn 2 and lost 8, weirdly you get used to losing and I am sure we will not have a clue what to do if we win one!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bunk Moreland

Down. Good stadium, big county, large population, loads of potential, loyal supporters who travel the country in large numbers and plenty of good strong clubs yet still the county hasn't won a provincial championship or All Ireland in 20 years (21 by the time they play again).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Mayo , Derry and Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Miccoli wrote: »
    Mayo , Derry and Kildare

Derry have won an All-Ireland is recent memory. Would rule them out on that basis alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Derry have won an All-Ireland is recent memory. Would rule them out on that basis alone.

Derry would not be bothered with an All Ireland if it would interfere with some club rivalry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Until recent times (and we still don't have it easy), Cavan have to be up there. The people here eat, sleep and breathe football yet we were the last county to play at the redeveloped Croke Park at any level.

We were delighted last year just to finally get a Championship trip to Croke Park. It was the first since 1997.

Older people still talk of the wonderful teams of the 40s and 50s and the fact that we're still the only team to have won an All Ireland outside of this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

testicle wrote: »
    Kilkenny

P***take surely?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Annie Oakes

Im from waterford, and although we are mentioned as being in the hurling section above. I would also like to point out that we have been given some brilliant days out as supporters and won a fair share of munsters in recent years, yes we should have deffo won at least 1 all ireland in the early noughties up to about the year 2010 with a golden generation of hurlers that we had but my point is that it wasent all bad the lads gave us some unbelievable days out in thurles and croke park and we as supporters also accept there was other great teams (corks and kilkennys) around at that time also.
    Deise Abu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    First!

ibtl ]

Do people really still do both these things? :rolleyes:

On topic and with no offence intended, I would have to say Leitrim for one reason only. A few years ago I saw odds for the football AI in the paper, they were a thousand to one. If I were a fan and saw that I think a little part of me would die.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

citykat wrote: »
    P***take surely?

In fairness, the fans of the likes of Kilkenny and Kerry win all the time. Another All-Ireland to them, is just that, another All-Ireland.

Fans from those counties will never experience the insane high that other counties get from winning All-Irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Being a Mayo supporter isn't easy but still I've had some great days in Croke Park following them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Offaly. A county with fond memories of winning things but haven't won anything in years and unlikely to again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Scone0

buck65 wrote: »
    Offaly. A county with fond memories of winning things but haven't won anything in years and unlikely to again.

I agree, for fans who were use to following a team that were playing at the highest standard and now we think its a good win when we beat the likes of Antrim and Kerry(no disrespect to Antrim or Kerry they're coming on loads). It's a tough one for the fans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

testicle wrote: »
    Kilkenny

Get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Galway hurlers full of promise rarely deliver

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Any team that gets to Croke Park regularly or provincial finals definitely should not be in this argument imo. At least those teams have big days out which is something the likes of Carlow, Longford, Leitrim etc. never have. They normally have two championship games a year and both likely to be good beatings. The only hope they have is pushing for a spot to get out of Division 4. They normally just play football as well and mightnt even have a hurling team though Carlow have quite a decent hurling team. Worst county prob. Leitrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Being a Mayo supporter isn't easy but still I've had some great days in Croke Park following them.

+1.

We are generally at the business end of both competitions every year.

Finals aside, we are seriously consistent in terms of competitiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

On the flipside, Limerick threw away the 5 minutes final in 1994. I have no doubt the supporters on the hill were already celebrating victory.
    Mate's brother (from Offaly) was at that match and left in disgust with about 7 minutes to go.

Heard a lot of celebrating passing Berminghams and popped his head in to see... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Get out.

Could be Kilkenny football he's referring to!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

buck65 wrote: »

This.

On the football side, in our pomp, the quality oputside of the panel was poor. The standard in club games was never brilliant. Now there are very few players that rise above the low standard.

Well, so says my Da.

On the hurling side....well, at least I have fond memories of hanging around O'Connor Park watching training sessions and getting players to sign my hurl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

All these replies of Mayo/Limerick/Waterford are a bit ridiculous. At least these counties have had their provincial wins and big days out in Croke Park, and get a few months of thinking this might just be their year.

It reminds me of lads I know who place massive accumulators on cheltenham over 10 horses. They know they're probably not going to win, but they do it as much for the enjoyable buzz as they win the first few races and start to believe, before they eventually lose.

Counties like Wicklow/Carlow/Leitrim must be the worst, you have no prospect of winning an All Ireland, and even a provincial title is effectively impossible. Knowing you will likely have 2 matches a year cant make it easy to support, but they are back every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I was well into my twenties before I saw my first Leitrim jersey. Very small population though (fewer than 32k people).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Longford is pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

In fairness, the fans of the likes of Kilkenny and Kerry win all the time. Another All-Ireland to them, is just that, another All-Ireland.

Fans from those counties will never experience the insane high that other counties get from winning All-Irelands.

How would you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Down. Good stadium, big county, large population, loads of potential, loyal supporters who travel the country in large numbers and plenty of good strong clubs yet still the county hasn't won a provincial championship or All Ireland in 20 years (21 by the time they play again).

Lovely stadium, especially the one third of it actually in Co. Armagh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Kildare

Even provincially they break my heart.

Advertisement