Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Autumn/Winter 2016-17

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

It's about a 60% chance I think of noisy fireworks near the Irish Sea coasts this evening and tonight
    New storms are firing up down south of Brest with a trajectory way west of the stuff now over Britain
    One to watch

The breeze here is ENE which will help (if you want them coming this way that is :D)

The Dragon Queen and her troops are coming :D

6e96849b0e7bcd796bce8d7d5bc618a9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Looking at the maps could these thunderstorms affect much of Ireland this evening our tonight. It looks like the showers situated west of Brest could be up the the south coast of Ireland at about teatime. Will the thundery activity die out be the time these clouds reach Ireland. At the moment there thunderstorms spreading up throughout western parts of England and Wales.

See Attached,Biscay is on Fire at the moment,it's rare to see so much lightning all along that front
    That system is heading towards southeast and east Ireland tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Dublin is owed a huge lightning show.... there.... I said it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Dublin is owed a huge lightning show.... there.... I said it...

Are you actually serious every second actual lightning storm is either in or near Dublin, Dublin is owed absoutley nothing, especially not compared to the West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Are you actually serious every second actual lightning storm is either in or near Dublin, Dublin is owed absoutley nothing, especially not compared to the West.

We've got nothing this year. The West/Northwest was blitzed by the first outbreak and the Midlands was hit a few weeks ago.

I'm about 10kms north of Dublin and all I got to see was 2 or 3 distant flashes of lightning and faint rumbles of thunder, that could easily be mistaken for a plane at Dublin Airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

ArKl0w wrote: »
    See Attached,Biscay is on Fire at the moment,it's rare to see so much lightning all along that front
    That system is heading towards southeast and east Ireland tonight

I wonder will it though. I'm doubting this now.
    Hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Looking at the maps could these thunderstorms affect much of Ireland this evening our tonight. It looks like the showers situated west of Brest could be up the the south coast of Ireland at about teatime. Will the thundery activity die out be the time these clouds reach Ireland. At the moment there thunderstorms spreading up throughout western parts of England and Wales.
    The Eagle Eagleton on the radio 20 mins ago said lightning flashes will probably be seen along the east coast tonight but the storms will stay out at sea.

511 wrote: »
    We've got nothing this year. The West/Northwest was blitzed by the first outbreak and the Midlands was hit a few weeks ago.

I'm about 10kms north of Dublin and all I got to see was 2 or 3 distant flashes of lightning and faint rumbles of thunder, that could easily be mistaken for a plane at Dublin Airport.

This year I've seen flights halted at the airport due to Thunderstorms!

A very small section (which included galway city) of the West got a large thunderstorm, that was it.

I've seen 1 flash since February, and that was about 2 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Trebor176

The Eagle Eagleton on the radio 20 mins ago said lightning flashes will probably be seen along the east coast tonight but the storms will stay out at sea.

Usual case, unfortunately. There may be a lot of hype in terms of lightning hitting Dublin. However, as has been proven, those hoping for a dramatic light show in Dublin are often left disappointed.

Does anyone remember the 3 day thunderstorm in Dublin was it back in 2006 ? around October , there was snow and everything. That was a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

If it's just going to b a case of lightning out to see forget it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hold the boat!
    12z is actually looking more optimistic on storms surviving across the Irish sea late tonight.

nmm_uk1-29-12-0_ssu1.png
    Mid level instability holding strong after the impressive build up across England tonday.
    nmm_uk1-28-12-0_ord9.png

Another thing to keep chances alive is the strong DLS in place to sustain the cells.
    nmm_uk1-40-11-0_tlx0.png

So, if your along the east coast guys... charge z batteries :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Ok I'm getting excited again the thunderstorms are only 150kms from wexford.

On another note I wonder is Manchester still there.:D Fairly intense over there.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Ok I'm getting excited again the thunderstorms are only 150kms from wexford.

On another note I wonder is Manchester still there.:D Fairly intense over there.

Nothing's landed in the airport for ages, and nothing taking off now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,153 ✭✭✭✭km79

Nothing's landed in the airport for ages, and nothing taking off now either.

Champions league game in danger of being called off
    I was over there Saturday was lovely :D

Well I have my thunder headache,it's usually a good sign :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

City match called off due to the weather in Manchester hopefully we will get a bit of that later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

km79 wrote: »
    Champions league game in danger of being called off
    Match posponed.
    It shows up nicely here and also a few "blobs" near Land's End as well.
    http://de.sat24.com/de

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The size of those storms

DxKNp4s.gif

A long way off yet ( would be cool crossing the ferry tonight to Roslare ),

sOxIfYj.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Met Eireann are not calling thunder storms over the east of Ireland tonight. It's been a disappointing season in west Dublin. No storm has passed directly over us. A few distant flashes once or twice this summer. I am not going to get to excited about tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A trip down to hook head tonight hmm....(work tomorrow, ahh s*ite).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Met Eireann are not calling thunder storms over the east of Ireland tonight. It's been a disappointing season in west Dublin. No storm has passed directly over us. A few distant flashes once or twice this summer. I am not going to get to excited about tonight.

Good chance of it happening so...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

That storm heading towards Wexford / Wicklow is still firing away and making ground

CuEiNlP.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Calmcookie84

My dad is on route to his radio shack to disconnect his aerials. He couldn't hear anything on his radios with the storms in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Darwin

It's a strange setup as the automated short range forecast on met.ie is showing light rainfall over the eastern part of the country at the moment and for the next couple of hours.

Some very heavy localized rain in those storms

i9U2hcx.png?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Looks like the South coast is going to get all the fun and nothing for Dublin going by this.

http://beta.meteoradar.co.uk/expected-rainfall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Yeah I am we have had SFA

Advertisement