Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

JT26 wrote: »
    Whats your opinions of wetherspoons,worth the visit next time i'm in Cork?

Depends what you like. I like trying different types of beer and I enjoy pale ales in particular. Wetherspoon's offers loads and plenty are at €2.50-€3 for a pint/bottle, so I like going there. They stock local, as well as imported stuff, so you always have a good choice. They also have a good few of the big brands - Beamish, Carlsberg, Coors etc.

They have festivals from time-to-time. I saw one advertised in the UK for March where they'll have about 50 different ales on sale - mostly from the UK, but a decent few are international, as well. One from Ireland (O'Hara's Red). For an Irish Wetherspoon's festival, I'd imagine they'd still have mostly UK beer (although, a few of them would still be from NI) but a few more Irish ones, too. They had a festival in the one in Cork in October and I think they were selling €2 pints. I think all the beer is cask ale ("real ale" being a bigger thing in the UK than here), much like the Franciscan Well's Winter Fest.

They seem to have plenty of wines, spirits and cocktails on sale, too. They wouldn't really be my thing, so don't know a lot about them. But they list about 15 different types of wine and about 50 spirits on their menu, so it looks good choice, to me.

I think it's good for non-drinkers, as well. A good selection of soft drinks, hot drinks etc. A big glass of cola is about €2, which would cost at least a fiver in most pubs.

They have food which is good value for what you get. I don't think it's any worse than most places where you'd be paying a bit more. It's better than most pubs that sell food, anyway. Not Michelin star stuff, but it does the job. I'm always full after a meal there. I'd put the food on par with things that'd cost about €15 for a comparable meal in most restaurants. It's really only the stuff at €20+ that I'd put at the next level, which is grand if you prefer it.

The food and drinks menu was posted earlier in the thread if you want to have a look. Not sure if it's changed much since. I think some of the food might have gotten slightly cheaper, on other food slightly more expensive (although, that might been one of the Dublin ones I'm thinking about).

One or two on this thread have bemoaned the serving time, but I never felt I was waiting too long. They don't take multiple orders, but I don't really see a problem with that. I think bartenders that do that just give the illusion of serving you quicker, anyway. You're still waiting for them to hand others their drinks and take payment/give change, so I don't see how it's massively quicker. The only real slight advantage is maybe when you're drinking stout and they have it settling whilst serving others (though, the two-part pour/2 minute settling period is a load of unnecessary nonsense, anyway). I'm usually waiting for no more than a minute or two before I'm served. You never have any queues at the counter, anyway, so you don't have to shout over anyone to get your order in.

It's generally a relaxed atmosphere. Different groups throughout the day. Families having lunch, friends/couples having dinner, groups having a few drinks, mixes of people drinking alcoholic/non-alcoholic drinks etc. No real pressure to drink. If you want to, great, loads on offer. If don't want to, great, plenty for you, as well. It's always been somewhat busy when I've been in there, but because people are always coming and going, you don't be long waiting for a table.

The bouncers in there are really sound. By far the nicest I've encountered anywhere in Ireland. Usually greet you/open the door for you. When it's close to closing time, if you're upstairs, you're politely asked to move downstairs. You're given plenty of time to finish your drinks and the bouncers might have a chat with you whilst your doing so. All encouraging you to finish up, but in a polite way. Not like the attitude in so many Irish pubs, of "right lads, we have your money, now f*ck off".

Wetherspoon's don't play music, so if that's you're thing, you mightn't like it. Crane Lane or the likes would probably be preferable there. I hate loud music at pubs myself, so I like the no-music policy. They sometimes show sport on a couple of discreet TVs around the place. Only terrestrial stuff, though, I think. If you're looking for something properly sporty, it obviously doesn't compare to the Woolshed. Again, I like that, though. I hate the way that even every old man's pub nowadays has a couple of widescreen tellies to attempt to appeal to a wider audience. If I want to watch a match/matches, I'd go to a proper sports pub. Anywhere that I'm at just for a couple of pints, it's annoying when they have something on in the background that's just distracting.

I don't know whether or not you'll like. Maybe it's your thing, maybe it's not. But I'd recommend to give it a go, for lunch if nothing else. If you don't like it, at least it won't cost you much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

A place that you wouldnt last more than a half an hour in -and that is what they want- in quick munch and out the gap,nothing more nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

A place that you wouldnt last more than a half an hour in
    Speak for yourself.
    Had three pints in there last week with a friend, and had plenty of change from a €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

Speak for yourself.
    Had three pints in there last week with a friend, and had plenty of change from a €10.

Classy guy

ROY RACE wrote: »
    Classy guy
    What's going out with a friend for a few drinks got to do with being classy?
    Some people enjoy socializing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

please keep on topic in this thread and if you don't not like the place or have problems then that is fine but DO NOT attack other members who's opinion differs from yours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭goochy

Hes criticizing u for being thrifty !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

goochy wrote: »
    Personally I wear getting a good deal like a badge of honour!

goochy wrote: »
    Like TheChizler said, nothing wrong with getting a good deal.
    Wetherspoons isn't going to be for everyone. It may not suit your taste, in which case there's plenty of other options.
    But for two lads meeting up for a chat, and getting value for their money, it certainly suits the wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭goochy

I agree , haven't been yet . planning to go there some nite with a buddy for grub - few pints and then a bit of a pub crawl. not expecting great things from food but might be pleasantly surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

The funny thing is, according to some people, if you like craft beer, you're a pretentious pr*ck with more money than sense. But if you go to Wetherspoon's, you're a dole-scrounging classless scumbag. But Wetherspoon's sell craft beer for much cheaper than what the other pubs sell from the big two breweries. So, in that case, you're a pretentious, classless dole-scrounging scumbag pr*ick with no money and more money than sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Been there loads of times now and, while service can be a bit slow, I do enjoy it. So you go to the counter to order, so what? No big deal IMO. Food is decent, can't complain for the price. The salted caramel cheese cake - yummy!
    The cider in particular is lovely as are some of the ales.
    I like that there is no music, so you can talk without having to shout! That's a big plus for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I don't like it and won't support it but see no issue with counter service. Nandos also has counter service and their prices are outrageous for what's essentially a wrap and chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Its not that its counter service, its that the service from the counter is glacial its so bloody slow.

FWIW, Ive enjoyed it any time Im there service notwithstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I don't like it and won't support it but see no issue with counter service. Nandos also has counter service and their prices are outrageous for what's essentially a wrap and chips.

Out of curiosity, why would you not support this bar in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I've been there a few times for drinks, haven't eaten there so can't comment on the food. It's a good place to meet for a few drinks but not somewhere where I would stay for the night. The lack of music/sound from tvs takes a bit of getting to but it's handy that you can have a conversation without shouting to be heard :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    The funny thing is, according to some people, if you like craft beer, you're a pretentious pr*ck with more money than sense. But if you go to Wetherspoon's, you're a dole-scrounging classless scumbag. But Wetherspoon's sell craft beer for much cheaper than what the other pubs sell from the big two breweries. So, in that case, you're a pretentious, classless dole-scrounging scumbag pr*ick with no money and more money than sense.

Welcome to the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Heading in this afternoon for a few sherbets, anyone been in of late, any good ales on ?

Went yesterday evening, had a Ghost ship which wasn't great and I noticed it was off shortly later, followed by Caledonian Golden XPA which was fine, followed by Robinsons trooper which was pleasant.
    Finally a Beamish with the Philly Steak sandwich, both of which were great. 4 pints and my tea for €19.50, an excellent evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Anyone else find the tables in there are nearly always dirty or waiting to be cleaned? I nearly always have to call a staff member over to take away plates etc.

It's fine for a cheap pint or plate, but it's pretty average otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Isn't that the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

It's not as cheap as the UK ones. You don't get as much food and it's like they count the chips they put on the plate.

Anyone else find the tables in there are nearly always dirty or waiting to be cleaned? I nearly always have to call a staff member over to take away plates etc.

That was a problem alright the other day.
    It's funny I was in there a few months ago and I asked for a packet of crisps and the manager couldn't locate any, the barmaid standing beside him said she'd go to the stockroom and get some but he said don't, there's no need, after I asking him for crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Isn't that the point?

No excuse for poor service/cleanliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The portions are probably what we should be eating, I know I'm guilty of over eating constantly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

TheDriver wrote: »
    The portions are probably what we should be eating, I know I'm guilty of over eating constantly

that's Wetherspoon's Ireland for ya, always looking out for our wellbeing, thanks JD ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

Seems to be attracting some dodgy looking people. Just going by those sitting outside.

Called in on Saturday. It certainly seems the novelty has worn off as there was a choice of seats at about 5.30/6pm. Was a tad peckish so ordered a butger with my beer. Dismayed to find that it was with me almost before I got back to my seat. It was grand, not the greatest. There were a few chips with it, but what bothered me is I think they were on someones elses plate before mine as half of them you could see the potato inside them.

gimmick wrote: »
    Called in on Saturday. It certainly seems the novelty has worn off as there was a choice of seats at about 5.30/6pm. Was a tad peckish so ordered a butger with my beer. Dismayed to find that it was with me almost before I got back to my seat. It was grand, not the greatest. There were a few chips with it, but what bothered me is I think they were on someones elses plate before mine as half of them you could see the potato inside them.

Did you complain ?

• Advertisement

Couldn't prove it so no point.

Advertisement