Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

OverRide wrote: »
    Trouble is,you don't seem to differentiate between money maker and a fair days pay
    No point lauding the former when milk won't do the latter unless you're a processor manager who gets paid and bonused at the farmers expense even when products are selling poorly

One lesson from this episode is that there needs to be a link between salaries and price for our senior management. That's not saying they shouldn't get paid well in a downturn as its possibly harder to do their job in those conditions but I think they need a little more skin in the game. To get good management we do need to pay top dollar but there needs to be a correlation to the farmers return.

Now how to achieve this well that's another days work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

One lesson from this episode is that there needs to be a link between salaries and price for our senior management. That's not saying they shouldn't get paid well in a downturn as its possibly harder to do their job in those conditions but I think they need a little more skin in the game. To get good management we do need to pay top dollar but there needs to be a correlation to the farmers return.

+1.

CoCo bonds or ECNs, call 'em what you like.

Kowtow will explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Trouble is,you don't seem to differentiate between money maker and a fair days pay
    No point lauding the former when milk won't do the latter unless you're a processor manager who gets paid and bonused at the farmers expense even when products are selling poorly

There was always more money to be made in agriculture than farming.....more money in sales/processing, probably the same as any commodity

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

I agree with most of your post but all the research now would suggest that paying people above a certain level actually reduces performance. Apparently you don't need to pay mega bucks to get a good manager. Sure they need to be paid a good living wage. But all the latest research proves that above a certain point it actually becomes counter productive. Most of these guys are dairy scientists. How many points in you leaving do you need to become a dairy Scientist? Indeed how many of them actually have any qualification in business management? We need to stop tipping the hat to some of these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

red bull wrote: »
    Any news from Arrrabawn

lakelands also increased July milk price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

rangler1 wrote:
    Broken hearted i am, 30 years profiteering and you only have to suffer for two years.........just ain't fair. I still reckon it's a dead cat bounce........that's a term my accountant used when my AIB shares dropped to 80c and gave a slight rise in 2008 At least I took his advice and didn't buy them at 80c

You seem to forget how many dairy farmers have left the sector in the last 20 years, not all rosey in the garden looking over the fence

kevthegaff wrote: »
    You seem to forget how many dairy farmers have left the sector in the last 20 years, not all rosey in the garden looking over the fence

Also let's be honest about it dairy farming takes up a lot more time and investment than most other enterprises. we would need to be getting some return on that. Otherwise we are just busy fools

• Registered Users Posts: 29,239 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Wonder how many got into dairying recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are you in their catchment area?

I was been sarcastic in that comment.I am a centenary co-op supplier who ends up in glanbia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

There is no doubt in my mind that the reason the likes of Bergin et al get paid what they do in a downturn is they ride on the coat tails of the Plc involvement
    The only route away from that is to buy out the remaining 40% of GiiL and it then as our purchasing CooP must have transparent goals for its profit and farm gate profit
    End the nonsense where we allow the CooP to sell our shares in a price support pretense ,which was in reality always the coop supporting the Plc
    Replace it with spin outs triggered in low price regimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭orm0nd

whelan2 wrote: »
    Wonder how many got into dairying recently?

locally here 3, probarbly milking as many as 7 or 8 that got out in the last 10 to 15 years

orm0nd wrote: »
    locally here 3, probarbly milking as many as 7 or 8 that got out in the last 10 to 15 years

I think your experience would be fairly typical. Hard to match it up with this prediction http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/coveneyup-to-10000-dairy-jobs-likely-318187.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Dawggone wrote: »
    +1.

CoCo bonds or ECNs, call 'em what you like.

Kowtow will explain.

I think I did explain a long way up this thread, but suffice to say they would definitely have to be called MooCo(ws).

rangler1 wrote: »
    There was always more money to be made in agriculture than farming.....more money in sales/processing, probably the same as any commodity

I'm sure you are right but I don't think that's a reason for farmers to shrug their shoulders - they should be working hard to end the more obvious upstream abuses.

Remember, we don't produce commodity milk here - we produce premium, largely pasture fed, milk from small family herds with a very long historical and geographical tradition.

We just sell it as commodity milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

orm0nd wrote: »
    I think you're safe enough for the time being, this "rebound" will be a very lazy curve,

It might be faster than you think. Futures look like giving 7c by Dec. If the Sheriff's info is correct and there is €30k co-op debt on farms the co-op's will have to pay out to get in. Volumes will be lower from now on and the impact of the supply reduction scheme will reduce volumes further so will cost co-op's less.
    Shame sake and supplier pressure are added incentives.
    On the fert front, p has reduced by 30% on world markets but has not been passed on here because expensive stocks have to be cleared. We should see this reduction next year. No p applied here last year or this year except as slurry as all index 4 beginning of 15.Will sample end of this year and top up next year, the tax man might contribute more to the price then.
    So I'm long milk and short fert.;) Lets see, it's great fun.:D

It might be faster than you think. Futures look like giving 7c by Dec. If the Sheriff's info is correct and there is €30k co-op debt on farms the co-op's will have to pay out to get in. Volumes will be lower from now on and the impact of the supply reduction scheme will reduce volumes further so will cost co-op's less.
    Shame sake and supplier pressure are added incentives.
    On the fert front, p has reduced by 30% on world markets but has not been passed on here because expensive stocks have to be cleared. We should see this reduction next year. No p applied here last year or this year except as slurry as all index 4 beginning of 15.Will sample end of this year and top up next year, the tax man might contribute more to the price then.

I suppose that's the long and the short of it

In technical terms you are straddling a barrel of crude.

Which is better than being over one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Hearing through the grapevine atrabawn July price up 0.5 cent to 24.18 vat inc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

kowtow wrote: »
    In technical terms you are straddling a barrel of crude.

Which is better than being over one.

I'd better not drop the ball(s) so.

red bull wrote: »
    Any news from Arrrabawn

Arrabawn co-op raises milk price for July supplies @agrilandIreland http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/arrabawn-co-op-raises-milk-price-for-july-supplies/

Any news on Dairygold?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Arrabawn co-op raises milk price for July supplies @agrilandIreland http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/arrabawn-co-op-raises-milk-price-for-july-supplies/

Any news on Dairygold?

Not for another few days.
    They badly need to match the 1c/l increases before it becomes embarrassing for them left adrift at the very bottom of the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Well any predictions for today's GDT.
    A lot of talk that it's going to be a big one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Volume or price wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Which direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yewtree

Future markets point to a 10% increase in Gdt, would be a great sign that there is a price recovery underway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

yewtree wrote: »
    Future markets point to a 10% increase in Gdt, would be a great sign that there is a price recovery underway.

That would be nice.

Yanks aren't pulling back production though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭jaymla627

That would be nice.

Ploughing ahead by all accounts, their production per cow per state is edging for over 10,000 litres year, it's unbelievable how they seem to be getting more milk year on year from their cows, cow numbers aren't declining either and are on a upward curve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Ploughing ahead by all accounts, their production per cow per state is edging for over 10,000 litres year, it's unbelievable how they seem to be getting more milk year on year from their cows, cow numbers aren't declining either and are on a upward curve

Bst

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_somatotropin

Fridge loads of it on farms over there

Bst

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_somatotropin

Fridge loads of it on farms over there

The worst thing about that is not alone does it increase production but it also reduces demand as more and more people go completely off dairy. Even here a lot of people think Irish milk contains hormones. A lot of education is needed to get the consumer fully onside.

• Advertisement

That would be nice.

Not yet. Met s grp last week and they're feeling the pain now. They feel the way out is more production regardless of price

http://feedstuffs.com/story-more-calls-dairy-assistance-45-145321

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement