Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Disaster. The wife bought a refurbished Breville Smart Grinder from the US as a surprise for my birthday and it came yesterday. We weren't aware of the voltage difference (110v vs 220v) between the US and here and plugged it in with an adapter and it exploded immediately when plugged in - big pop and a puff of smoke from the bottom, tripped the switches on the fusebox.

From some quick research online, I'm assuming it's a goner. Is there any point in even getting it checked out, or do we chalk it down to an expensive lesson in international electricity output?

smoke and a bang means more than a fuse blowing, so i'd say it's toast. whole power supply section is fried at a minimum. depending on how that spiked it may have damaged the rest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've no idea, when I bought my first Silvia it was the same, came from UK but it was a version from the US so was the wrong voltage. From memory we would have needed some industrial strength converter to use it so I sent it back and took the hit on the postage costs.

For you situation I'm assuming you'd have to replace whatever parts are damaged and then look to get a converter of some description to make it usable.

Sorry I can't be more help but I'm not sure you are going to be able to do much with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Had assumed as much alright. Looks like it's a lesson so - back to the auld drawing board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I opened my v60 filters from ponaire and they are tiny:(

You have to be aware of what size your V60 is, I think they do larger ones for servings. It should say something like it's for a 01 or 02 size V60.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Disaster. The wife bought a refurbished Breville Smart Grinder from the US as a surprise for my birthday and it came yesterday. We weren't aware of the voltage difference (110v vs 220v) between the US and here and plugged it in with an adapter and it exploded immediately when plugged in - big pop and a puff of smoke from the bottom, tripped the switches on the fusebox.

From some quick research online, I'm assuming it's a goner. Is there any point in even getting it checked out, or do we chalk it down to an expensive lesson in international electricity output?
    Sickner. As well as the voltage being different US frequency is 60Hz, we're 50Hz over here so I'd say it's kaput. If it has cost a lot of money it might be worth seeking replacement parts....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Merrick Gorgeous Gynecologist

J_E wrote: »
    You have to be aware of what size your V60 is, I think they do larger ones for servings. It should say something like it's for a 01 or 02 size V60.

Never knew that !
    It was nice to just put a scoop of coffee in and fill it up for a mug of coffee.
    Only 98 mugs to go before I need to get new filters.:D

Sickner. As well as the voltage being different US frequency is 60Hz, we're 50Hz over here so I'd say it's kaput. If it has cost a lot of money it might be worth seeking replacement parts....

I'm on to Breville, but not optimistic. Sickener for sure.

I'm on the lookout for a replacement. Been eyeing up this fella. Anything to watch out for?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the 50 vs. 60 isn't as big a deal, the only affect it has is for motors, as they take the timing from the sinusoidal frequency on the supply to control the speed of the motor, so all that usually happens is they run a bit slower than designed for. less of a problem coming this way than going the other.

it's fun for lads that bring treadmills in from the states as they think they're moving at savage speed altogether but are really moving 20% slower:)

Funny coincidence - was going to just buy a Sage Smart Grinder from Amazon last night at £180 as I'd have replacement burrs etc already for down the line. Just received a CamelCamelCamel notification with a price drop to £99.

Funny coincidence - was going to just buy a Sage Smart Grinder from Amazon last night at £180 as I'd have replacement burrs etc already for down the line. Just received a CamelCamelCamel notification with a price drop to £99.

Oh god... don't tempt me yet - just dropped cash for a Silvia and need somewhat of a recovery period :eek:

Edit: Although when I follow the CCC link I don't get that reduction - what region are you looking at?

• Advertisement

Oh god... don't tempt me yet - just dropped cash for a Silvia and need somewhat of a recovery period :eek:

Edit: Although when I follow the CCC link I don't get that reduction - what region are you looking at?

Crazy - seems to have only went down to that price for a few hours. You can see the reduction in the Price History chart now. I might have just got a quick nod from the grinder Gods it seems.

I'm soooo happy with my Rancilio Silvia! Wheeled it home today from Dublin and spent about an hour reading about it before I even plugged it in - after dialling up the grind a bit I got a really delicious serviceable shot - the steam wand is so powerful though, will have to up my steaming skills a little!

http://i.imgur.com/rjHNH5q.jpg

Cut up a cabinet and made it into a little coffee station. Dream come true!

Was also down in Urbanity today - really nice cafe. Seems to follow Third Wave trends but it has its own aesthetic, refreshing splash of colour against some of the bare white/wood joints. Great food too.

I'm soooo happy with my Rancilio Silvia! Wheeled it home today from Dublin and spent about an hour reading about it before I even plugged it in - after dialling up the grind a bit I got a really delicious serviceable shot - the steam wand is so powerful though, will have to up my steaming skills a little!

http://i.imgur.com/rjHNH5q.jpg

Cut up a cabinet and made it into a little coffee station. Dream come true!

Was also down in Urbanity today - really nice cafe. Seems to follow Third Wave trends but it has its own aesthetic, refreshing splash of colour against some of the bare white/wood joints. Great food too.
    You read the manual ? Wimp :)

You read the manual ? Wimp :)

Of course! I didn't even know what one of the switches did, was scared I'd fry the boiler ;) The steam sure is powerful on this thing... Feels like the milk is going to explode from the pitcher!

Edit: Ugh... not enjoying the caffeine OD the last 2 days playing with the Silvia... think a bag of decaf is in order...

Does anyone know where you can get Puly/Cafiza in-store? The delivery costs are a bit high online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Check out your local independent cafe. When I first arrived in Dublin a few years back I had to wait 8 weeks for all my gear to get hear by sea freight. I frequented the local independent cafe that made great coffee and when my gear arrived I asked if they could order some Cafiza for me. He gave me 50g from his own supply to tide me over and his local rep dropped a bottle in for me on his next visit.

Senecio wrote: »
    Check out your local independent cafe. When I first arrived in Dublin a few years back I had to wait 8 weeks for all my gear to get hear by sea freight. I frequented the local independent cafe that made great coffee and when my gear arrived I asked if they could order some Cafiza for me. He gave me 50g from his own supply to tide me over and his local rep dropped a bottle in for me on his next visit.

That's great! Seems to make a lot more sense if they are going to order it in anyway - it is just a little expensive to buy alone and then pay something like 4-6 euro for delivery.

Bought summer daze and Ethiopian sasaba from b&d . T'was expensive enough compared to Bailie's. With €3.50 postage.
    Just hope it's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Where are you guys buying your coffee online?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Generally one of Badger & Dodo/Coffeemojo/Bailies/Cloudpicker

I'm sure there are others too that people use. I also buy locally in Nicks Ranelagh/3Fe/Bear in Blackrock.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

What is the best French Press coffee?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Generally one of Badger & Dodo/Coffeemojo/Bailies/Cloudpicker

I'm sure there are others too that people use. I also buy locally in Nicks Ranelagh/3Fe/Bear in Blackrock.

I should have said I'm based in the UK at the moment :o

Try James Gourmet Coffee or Has bean. Bailies are based in NI so should be an option also. There is also squaremile in london which is also very good.

Caravan coffee is another one that is good. No end of choices in the UK really.

BabyE wrote: »
    What is the best French Press coffee?

I honestly don't think there a "best" when it comes to coffee. Just experiment a little and find out what you like.

All the places mentioned in my post above would be good for French Press.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi All,
    I bought home some local blended coffee whilse in Verona to a friend, who is coffee addict/expert...and I
    dont mean that in an unkind way. It was a small coffee/pastry shop, very italian. Barini Coffee shop,
    House Blend, Miscela Della Casa. Any ideas where I could source it. I.v emailed them, but email is bouncing
    back. Nobody there had any english, so no point in ringing. Thanks v much.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Try James Gourmet Coffee or Has bean. Bailies are based in NI so should be an option also. There is also squaremile in london which is also very good.

Caravan coffee is another one that is good. No end of choices in the UK really.

Thanks I just ordered from James Gourmet Coffee.

For the UK , Pact is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm still looking for a grinder in the 150e range - gutted that I missed the Sage for 99GBP on Amazon a few weeks ago. Anything similar price wise?

I'm still looking for a grinder in the 150e range - gutted that I missed the Sage for 99GBP on Amazon a few weeks ago. Anything similar price wise?

If you're not in a rush, set up an alert here to keep an eye on the price. It goes down to £140 every so often also. I was just very lucky I think with the drop to £99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If you're not in a rush, set up an alert here to keep an eye on the price. It goes down to £140 every so often also. I was just very lucky I think with the drop to £99.
    Thanks I'll do that.

Just wondering if there is anything similar that I can be looking at to drop? (It is for espresso from a Gaggia classic)

Advertisement