Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

What is the best French Press coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

adrian522 wrote: »
    Generally one of Badger & Dodo/Coffeemojo/Bailies/Cloudpicker

I'm sure there are others too that people use. I also buy locally in Nicks Ranelagh/3Fe/Bear in Blackrock.

I should have said I'm based in the UK at the moment :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Try James Gourmet Coffee or Has bean. Bailies are based in NI so should be an option also. There is also squaremile in london which is also very good.

Caravan coffee is another one that is good. No end of choices in the UK really.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

BabyE wrote: »
    What is the best French Press coffee?

I honestly don't think there a "best" when it comes to coffee. Just experiment a little and find out what you like.

All the places mentioned in my post above would be good for French Press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi All,
    I bought home some local blended coffee whilse in Verona to a friend, who is coffee addict/expert...and I
    dont mean that in an unkind way. It was a small coffee/pastry shop, very italian. Barini Coffee shop,
    House Blend, Miscela Della Casa. Any ideas where I could source it. I.v emailed them, but email is bouncing
    back. Nobody there had any english, so no point in ringing. Thanks v much.

Try James Gourmet Coffee or Has bean. Bailies are based in NI so should be an option also. There is also squaremile in london which is also very good.

Caravan coffee is another one that is good. No end of choices in the UK really.

Thanks I just ordered from James Gourmet Coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

For the UK , Pact is an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm still looking for a grinder in the 150e range - gutted that I missed the Sage for 99GBP on Amazon a few weeks ago. Anything similar price wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I'm still looking for a grinder in the 150e range - gutted that I missed the Sage for 99GBP on Amazon a few weeks ago. Anything similar price wise?

If you're not in a rush, set up an alert here to keep an eye on the price. It goes down to £140 every so often also. I was just very lucky I think with the drop to £99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Bawnmore wrote: »
    If you're not in a rush, set up an alert here to keep an eye on the price. It goes down to £140 every so often also. I was just very lucky I think with the drop to £99.
    Thanks I'll do that.

Just wondering if there is anything similar that I can be looking at to drop? (It is for espresso from a Gaggia classic)

I just placed an order with James Gourmet Coffee for a 12 month sub. Worked out at €112 for 1 bag per month. Thought this was good value compared to other prices around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

adrian522 wrote:
    I just placed an order with James Gourmet Coffee for a 12 month sub. Worked out at €112 for 1 bag per month. Thought this was good value compared to other prices around.

What size bag?

What kind of coffee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭Melodeon

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    What size bag?

Looks like it's the 250g bag subscription:
    http://jamesgourmetcoffee.com/product/coffee-subscription-1-bag-of-coffee-per-month-for-12-months/

I get through about 4 of those per month :D

Melodeon wrote: »
    Looks like it's the 250g bag subscription:
    http://jamesgourmetcoffee.com/product/coffee-subscription-1-bag-of-coffee-per-month-for-12-months/

I get through about 4 of those per month :D

Exactly yeah. 250g bag, espresso, changes every month.

I'm not saying this is the only coffee I'll drink by the way!

I did come up withthis some time back, if it helps people, prices may no longer be current though:

Size Amt Cost (€) Cost per Bag (250g) (€)
    3fe 250 12 125 10.42
    Bailies 250 12 96.61 8.05
    Squaremile(ongoing) 500 1 19.92 9.96
    squaremile 12 Month 500 12 235.49 9.81
    Badger & Dodo 250 12 115 9.58
    The Barn 500 12 270 11.25
    James Gourmet 250 12 112 9.33
    Bear 250 6 80 13.33

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I did come up withthis some time back, if it helps people, prices may no longer be current though:

3fe 250 12 125 10.42
    Bear 250 6 80 13.33

That's great, thanks for the table. Be cool if people could provide a price range for the beans usually carried at 'x' coffee shop. I assume the prices haven't deviated too much from the above though.

I know a lot of work goes into making nice coffee beans but some places charge extortionate prices which ain't my cup of tea :p Anything >€10 per 250g is hard to stomach for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Anyone ever try the Roberts Roberts Coffee Connoisseur Club? A different 250g bag to your door every 6 weeks for 1 year for €49.95. Only opens for new members coming up to Christmas every year.

http://coffeeclub.robert-roberts.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This not being able to order from bailies is pissing me off. Getting charged shipping every time, got one order in July but nothing since. Mentioned it via email and twitter and no response so guess they have enough business with coffee angel etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,613 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Very poor not to get a response to an email imo - that would put me off. What are you trying to order? I can check if it is charging me postage as well if you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Very poor not to get a response to an email imo - that would put me off. What are you trying to order? I can check if it is charging me postage as well if you like?

Any 2 bags of their microlot, should discount free shipping before you pay.

• Advertisement

I just tried 2 bags of microlot (burundi and kenya) and it is not charging me shipping to Ireland.

Hmmm... interesting.

I just tried 2 x 250g of the Microlot coffees, and the system was looking for £4.50 shipping to Ireland.
    Bumped the quantities up to 4 x 250g, and shipping was free.
    Tried a 1 x 1Kg bag, and shipping was £2.50.
    2 x 1Kg is also £2.50.

I've only ever ordered quantities of 4 x 250g so have never encountered this before.
    It's odd all right.

And now if I try 2 x 250g of the same coffee, shipping is free!

3fe 250 12 125 10.42
    Bear 250 6 80 13.33

Hi,

James Gourmet have been onto me to say there was mistake on the website and the price should have been higher. They offered to send me 9 months instead of 12 at the same price. Just in case anyone else was thinking of ordering from them.

I'm disappointed at the frequency with which coffee roasters mess up orders, it should be pretty straight forward but I've had issues with so many of them at this point.

That's actually very poor customer service imo. I would have expected them to get in touch and highlight they error but as a gesture of goodwill say they would still honour it - it is not as though you were only charged €10 or something, or that there was a clear/obvious pricing error - they would probably have had their costs covered or at least most of them. I would have thought the cost of the extra 3 bags would have been worth keeping a good customer happy to be honest.

Yeah, I'm not sure, I've asked what the correct price should be, but based on the offer he made it seems to work out at over €12 per bag which is way too expensive for me.

I think when you are committing to a yearly sub you should expect some sort of discount over normal prices and €12.50 would be at the very top of what I would typically pay for a bag of coffee, usually more like €8 but I guess you never know what beans you are going to get for that either.

For what it's worth, Has Bean's 12 month subscription costs £71, plus £20 shipping to Ireland.
    £91 = €105 (or thereabouts) = €8.75/250g bag.
    Call it €9/bag with currency exchange charges or whatever.

I've never had anything other than excellent experiences with Has Bean's coffees or their customer service.

Shipping is free to the UK, but that £20 flat rate to Ireland for the whole order (12 packages) is great value in its own right.

Thanks,

I think I went away from hasbean a few years ago when they drastically increased international postage but it is probably worth taking another look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

James Gourmet have been onto me to say there was mistake on the website and the price should have been higher. They offered to send me 9 months instead of 12 at the same price. Just in case anyone else was thinking of ordering from them.

So what's the final price they gave you? That sub still comes up at around €112 on their website. I'm interested as they offer espresso roast as a subscription choice, whereas with other subscriptions I'm risking getting beans roasted for filter.

This was the response I got, I ended up cancelling and going with Has Bean.
    The Standard Postage alone is in excess of £60 for Rep. of Ireland(£5.15 per month for 1 bag). Whereas UK approx £30. Thus reducing by 3 months.

The best price I can come up with is £121.80. This is reducing the 'average price' to just £5 per bag x 12 and factoring in the exact cost of postage.

or another idea is that the postage for 2 bags per month x 6 months, will cost £6.60 per month. If you are happy for me to post every other month 2 x bags of beans - I can happily absorb the difference ??

So what's the final price they gave you? That sub still comes up at around €112 on their website. I'm interested as they offer espresso roast as a subscription choice, whereas with other subscriptions I'm risking getting beans roasted for filter.

You're right. A bit frustrating that they have not corrected the price as surely others will encounter the same issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Just grabbed an Rwandan from Urbanity - a little pricier than I would have liked for a 250g bag but it's a great bean! Lovely flavour.

mm, another new roaster I haven't heard of. Got one from cloudpicker recently that was very good.

mm, another new roaster I haven't heard of. Got one from cloudpicker recently that was very good.

It's an awesome cafe in Smithfield Square (probably the densest spot of cafes I have ever seen!) beside Cinnamon. Very nice food and drink there, enjoy the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

HasBean's open day today was amazing. That is all. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Just picked up a las lajas Perla negra in coffee angel and on my first brew I've brewed a fantastic cup on the aeropress
    Sweet Jesus this is fantastic, literally how I imagine the perfect coffee. There isn't much of it out there apparently but if you can get your hands on it, do

Thanks,

I think I went away from hasbean a few years ago when they drastically increased international postage but it is probably worth taking another look.

Great service from has bean in fairness. Roasted on Friday, arrived today and fits through the letterbox so no bother arranging delivery.

Coffee not bad either!

Reduced from £42 to £18.84
    Breville Coffee Express Personal Coffee Machine, 500 ml Bottle
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100845638#post100845638

Just picked up a las lajas Perla negra in coffee angel and on my first brew I've brewed a fantastic cup on the aeropress
    Sweet Jesus this is fantastic, literally how I imagine the perfect coffee. There isn't much of it out there apparently but if you can get your hands on it, do

My Pearla Negra arrived Wednesday. Ordered Sunday evening.
    I've been drinking it over the weekend.....really nice coffee.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Has anyone tried "1690 Blend" from Coffee House Lane of Waterford. €5 for 227 grams in Supervalu. Interested to hear opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Has anyone tried "1690 Blend" from Coffee House Lane of Waterford. €5 for 227 grams in Supervalu. Interested to hear opinions.

I was looking at it in a pinch, but couldn't find a roast date on the bad so didn't give it a shot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

looking for a bit of advice,

for coffee at home i was mainly using a Fellow Duo, http://fellowproducts.com/duo/, and a traditional french press. i have a reasonable grinder.

the french press is gone to the coffeehouse in the sky after a drop in the sink. was thinking of replacing with a chemex or hario or similar.

any recommendations on what to go for/where to get?

v60 is pretty good, cheap and prduces great coffee. Aeropress is another good one.

As you say Chemex is there, looks great. Also an option would be the Kalita Wave, but I find the filters hard to get hold of or else expensive.

I currently use V60 or filter and Aeropress for travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭donnacha

mossym wrote: »
    looking for a bit of advice,

for coffee at home i was mainly using a Fellow Duo, http://fellowproducts.com/duo/, and a traditional french press. i have a reasonable grinder.

the french press is gone to the coffeehouse in the sky after a drop in the sink. was thinking of replacing with a chemex or hario or similar.

any recommendations on what to go for/where to get?

I'm a big fan of the chemex but it takes time and a steady pour to produce a good cup. I have a clever coffee dripper which comes on holidays with me. Gives you the clean cup you expect from a filter paper brew without the requirement of a slow steady pour. Its a good step up from the French press and pretty hard to break as its made of plastic. Looks like a few Irish sellers around. Will set you back €25 and will produce 2 cups at a time :

https://shop.3fe.com/product/clever-coffee-dripper

Installed mecoffee PID into silvia today, fun to play around with in the app. Installation took nearly 2 hours though between taking the machine apart and installing he PID...apparently it should take 'roughly 45 mins'!

Bought a bag of beans from Two Fifty in rathmines. No prices on the bags, but when I went to pay it was €13. A bit excessive I thought but I'll give it a go.

The bag was roasted on August 22nd. To my mind if you are going to charge those prices you should be getting beans that are fresher than that.

• Advertisement

Same story with Urbanity - it was a little pricier than I would have liked and the beans were maybe a week old. I still enjoyed them but when a 250g bag goes over say, 9-10 euro, I start to feel a bit iffy about buying them regularly.

Really enjoying the Las perla coffee. It's mild and very smooth. A bit pricey but was worth it.

Which shop is considered best value for buying decent beans in Dublin? Preferably nearish to city centre?

Any advice on a travel mug to buy for work. Work gave me one but like everything else they provide for free it's cheap, plastic and inadequate.

Keep cups seem good. The free one I got from pact works well. I don't use it that often though as I don't drive to work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement