Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 6 Episode 9 "Battle of the Bastards" - Speculation Thread

Options
  • 12-06-2016 1:11pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭

See topic; please spoiler anything from interviews, books, trailers etc.

Thread will be unlocked on Sunday evening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Sounds like Jon will challenge Ramsey to single combat.

This looks epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Will Edmure bring his army to Winterfell?

Hopefully this episode just focuses on this battle, the preview implies this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I think the reason Jon looks so distraught is because Ramsey tells him what he did to Rickon. Then the battle commences.

I'm expecting a few Northern armies to line up for the Boltons, and then change side when ordered to attack the Stark army
    A bit like Braveheart

The promo seems to show Jon's army rushing to meet the Boltons, to let loose their arrows.
    Once the arrows have been used, there looks like a proper skirmish kicking off.
    The bit that interests me most from the trailer, is when the line of Bolton shields get up close with the Stark army. I'm expecting them to be non-Bolton men, fighting for the Boltons, who then change side, and attack the Boltons.

The strange thing for me, is that most of the footage in the trailer, seems to indicate that Jon's army will be attacking from left to right. Thats the way the majority of the camera footage seems to be shot
    But the scene with the Bolton shields seem to show the Boltons coming from the left.

Also, It looks like Davos is upset by some burned out site. I wonder is that where Shireen was burnt? He's not going to be happy with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I for one can't wait for this episode

Hopefully my stream works perfectly (PS4 sky go was a nightmare dis morning)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,530 ✭✭✭✭klose

Claganebowl is dead, arise bastardbowl

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭leonil7

- mellisandre could make some magic trick, before davos kills her because of shireen.

- edmure will not go north, he was never informed. he has become domesticated.

- while everyone is expecting the houses of the Vale for reinforcement, the wild card really is Jaime Lannister..with that raised hand and eyeball gaze to brienne leaving, Jaime might have a changed of heart and redeem his honor/ fulfill his vow to catlyn - the lannister armies could join at the last moment.

im speculating the following would die in the last two episodes
    - rickon stark, probably already skinned and crucified at the stake
    - queen margery & king tommen, you can only play the pretense game so far. tommen will certainly die, part of the witch prophesy to cersei.

-danny will probably release the 2 dragons, and the 3 dragons will burn the enemy ships, or the iron born will come to the rescue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

jebidiah wrote: »
    Sounds like Jon will challenge Ramsey to single combat.

This looks epic.

It looks like that was rejected by the full scale battle that kicks off. I honestly cannot wait for this episodes, its been a long time coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

leonil7 wrote: »
    -danny will probably release the 2 dragons, and the 3 dragons will burn the enemy ships, or the iron born will come to the rescue

Didn't Tyrion do this earlier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Looks like Braveheart/The Patriot battle scenes. Time to slip into a diabetic coma for the next 6 days.

ec18 wrote: »

Thought he went to have a look at them. That thump on the ceiling was Dany and Drogon landing on the top of the pyramid. Drogon will burn them ships all by hisself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Thought he went to have a look at them. That thump on the ceiling was Dany and Drogon landing on the top of the pyramid. Drogon will burn them ships all by hisself. :D

He did take the chains off as well.....but who knows where they went then :O

Who is Varys going to get, could be the Golden Company sans Aegon but he seems to be off back to Westeros. Damn plotholes drive me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Could the army of the dead and the whitewalkers make an appearance at bastardbowl ???

Ramsey Wud **** himself if the whitewalker king went after him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Could the army of the dead and the whitewalkers make an appearance at bastardbowl ???

Ramsey Wud **** himself if the whitewalker king went after him

Highly unlikely/no. The Wall is still standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Who is Varys going to get, could be the Golden Company sans Aegon but he seems to be off back to Westeros. Damn plotholes drive me mad.

I'm fearing he is going to Dorne :o:(

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I'm fearing he is going to Dorne :o:(

My thoughts exactly. Both in terms of where he's going and how I feel about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

- mellisandre could make some magic trick, before davos kills her because of shireen.

- while everyone is expecting the houses of the Vale for reinforcement, the wild card really is Jaime Lannister..with that raised hand and eyeball gaze to brienne leaving, Jaime might have a changed of heart and redeem his honor/ fulfill his vow to catlyn - the lannister armies could join at the last moment.
    /quote]

Davos discovering Shireens bones must be significant because it will prove to him that Stannis, a once proud and noble man, was brainwashed by Melisandre into killing his own daughter. For whatever reason, Davos seems invested in Jon's success and despite her resurrecting him, she is dangerously fanatical about her religion and as such is a danger to whoever she follows.

Regarding Jaime, his redemption storyline seems somewhat diminished by basically everything he's done since so maybe his wave to Brienne was his last 'good guy' act. Or maybe he sees that he can redeem himself in his own eyes, if not anyone else's, by fulfilling his oath to Catalyn Stark and helping Sansa. To be fair, Jon's army are completely outnumbered by the Boltons so a Tully/Lannister twist would make the battle a walkover for Jon's crowd..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Jaime isn't heading north. Brienne may have reminded him of honour but he is not going to help out her and Sansa when he desperately wants to get back to Cersei.

• Advertisement

ec18 wrote: »

only the chains, but they did not fly out... tyrion mentioned about depression in those dragons 'missing their mother'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

GerB40 wrote: »
    Regarding Jaime, his redemption storyline seems somewhat diminished by basically everything he's done since so maybe his wave to Brienne was his last 'good guy' act. Or maybe he sees that he can redeem himself in his own eyes, if not anyone else's, by fulfilling his oath to Catalyn Stark and helping Sansa. To be fair, Jon's army are completely outnumbered by the Boltons so a Tully/Lannister twist would make the battle a walkover for Jon's crowd..

I actually disagree, he acted a prick to Edmure to avoid the bloodshed of a siege imo

Be interesting about what happens now, I'v feeling he'll be returning to KingsLanding and having a Deja Vu moment regarding "Burn Them All"

GerB40 wrote: »

I actually disagree, he acted a prick to Edmure to avoid the bloodshed of a siege imo

Be interesting about what happens now, I'v feeling he'll be returning to KingsLanding and having a Deja Vu moment regarding "Burn Them All"

still possible me think..when brienne told podrick to send for a maester -'tell sansa we failed' after discussion with blackfish, the script might actually reverse this storyline (as they always do) and surprise the viewers. that's what i like from the series, need to read between the lines and expect the unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

still possible me think..when brienne told podrick to send for a maester -'tell sansa we failed' after discussion with blackfish, the script might actually reverse this storyline (as they always do) and surprise the viewers. that's what i like from the series, need to read between the lines and expect the unexpected.

After the speech he gave about how all that matters in the world is Cersei, killing her to save the people of King's Landing would be another way to redemption for him.

The preview reminds me a bit of Germania in Gladiator which is no bad thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Littlefinger intervention one side or the other either helping Sansa or screwing her over just appears far too predictable. But i am failing to see anything else at the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I thought that was the case in the books, but with the absence of inner monologues it does not seem that way to me in the tv show

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I love this. Never thought of him helping to fight the Boltons at all, that would be great. But more than likely he will have to repeat his Kingslayer antics and be a Kinslayer this time, even if he is that already after killing his cousin.

One thing from the trailer, the Wildings look to be in shock at the sight of something, they have seen some serious sh1t north of the wall, what could shock south of the wall? What have the boltons done or will they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭AlreadyHome

I've been predicting a Jaime Lannister 'defection' to the north's cause for some time now, and this seems only increasingly likely after his speech about Cersei.

1) He no longer has any Lannister ties or obligations to anyone but his sister, who I imagine has close to given up on her son. That domineering father figure no longer exists.

2) His nephew/son has turned his back on his mother and, remember, is a Baratheon.

3) His relationship with Brienne is obviously strong and has a pull on his sense of honour - I don't think he's proud of the cold blooded killing carried out in the Red Wedding and would like to atone.

I reckon we'll see the death or exile of Cersei Lannister, with King's Landing becoming the first city ruled by the common people (read: religious zealots) rather than a particular house. This will free Jaime of any obligation - family, honour or otherwise - allowing him to act on right or wrong, which I believe will lead him to Jon Snow's side...though I doubt this will come in time for any involvement with the fight against the Boltons.

I've been predicting a Jaime Lannister 'defection' to the north's cause for some time now, and this seems only increasingly likely after his speech about Cersei.

1) He no longer has any Lannister ties or obligations to anyone but his sister, who I imagine has close to given up on her son. That domineering father figure no longer exists.

I don't think so - her children are the one thing Cersei truly cares about. In Season 2, Tyrion told her it was her only redeeming feature. She may very well kill him by accident or something but I don't think she'll ever give up and will fight to the last.

I really, really hope they do Jaime's "turn" in the show and there have been a few hints of it recently. However, he keeps repeating this ****e about Cersei being the only think he cares about and wanting to get back to her is the only thing driving him. Book Jaime is a far more interesting and complex character so hopefully they can salvage some of that. Given how arse about face the Siege of Riverrun was in the show and how significant letters from the books have shown up late (Pink Letter), maybe Cersei will end up writing to him in the end looking for help to execute her scheme and maybe, just maybe, he might crumple it up and throw it away.

• Advertisement

Mr Freeze wrote: »

I love this. Never thought of him helping to fight the Boltons at all, that would be great. But more than likely he will have to repeat his Kingslayer antics and be a Kinslayer this time, even if he is that already after killing his cousin.

One thing from the trailer, the Wildings look to be in shock at the sight of something, they have seen some serious sh1t north of the wall, what could shock south of the wall? What have the boltons done or will they do?

true, remember that scene with tyrion asking missandei and grey worm to lighten up and tell jokes..tyrion talked about the 3 lords and the fly ..grey worm mentioned the starks and the lanninsters 'have always been enemies'..i think the script writer are putting in breadcrumbs for the viewers.. we will see.

Advertisement