Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zelda : Wind Waker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Wind Waker. It's shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Ooooohh nekkie's looking to stir some up with the fanboys ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just played the sequence that ties the game into the rest of the zelda series.... beautiful, just beautiful....... the old familar music.... goosebumps, I tells ya.... goosebumps.

Lots done, lots more to do.

NekkidBibleMan, you're a muppet.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Originally posted by the corpo
    just got mine this morning from play.com

they gave me some freebie with it as well

some plastic thing made by joytech, not quite sure what it is

Hmmm, i'm waiting on my copy from play.com too.
    (Ordered Thursday)
    Did anyone else get this 'freebie' from play?

X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

i still don't know what the freebie actually is!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    It's shit.
    Wind Waker. It's shit.

See the italics! I reckon it's some kinda pattern and it's gonna spell out some suicide bombers target :)
    Tipperary? If so you're welcome to it :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

OK, here's my opinion of the game after playing it for about 15 minutes...telly has 60Hz, BTW!! :D

i]Note: I have finished [b]OoT[/b] on the N64, and nearly finished [b]Legend of the Wind Fish[/b], but that's another story[/i

I'm going to compare it to that other much-loved cutie-pie of Nintendo's, Eternal Darkness, for no other reason than I stayed up till 2 last night trying to finish off the En'ghaa Guardians in Edwin Roivas' level, instead of swaning about in the wholesome sweetness of Zelda.

...me likes blood...hehheh...

My main gripe, thus far, is this: ED's camera is far better than the one in the Wind Waker. I don't know if it's down to better programming or the difference in scale (Zeldas' is a lot more "close up" than EDs) - I'm probably not used to going back to a manual camera, OoT was played years ago.

Now that I think about it, it's probably the scale - very disorientating if you've spent the last 2 hours casting magick pools and unloading enchanted shotguns with a camre waaaaaay back...

However, WW has a certain charm that few other games have.

Can't forget: the bonus discs!! Spent more time oogling the F-Zero video than I did playing the Wind Waker - looks amazing...4 player mode available too! :)

Slipping Master Quest into the machine really brought back the nostalgia though. I can't wait to play it/OoT again (once I get a new memory card!!)

Epitaph
    Not a test

Nah.... Zelda's camera is better. Get used to using the C Stick to change the camera angle for you. Also get into the habit of using the 'L' button to center the camera behind Link.

Must get back to Eternal Darkness soon..... I think I stopped at Chapter 10 (just before I got Metroid) and I never went back..... :p

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Wind Waker. It's shit.

omg is it ? i wont buy it so...:rolleyes:

Originally posted by TmB

NekkidBibleMan, you're a muppet.

Really, how so? Wind Waker fails to even come close to my expectations - and these weren't even especially high expectations either, not after Nintendo's recent output.

It's a pity Miyamoto didn't have a chat with new buddy Kojima on how to do stealth in games before deciding to include what can only be described as one of the most mind-numbingly infuriating section of any game ever, in the shape of the first dungeon, eh? Gaurds can see you if you're behind them, don't see you if you're in front of them, stick their head right into the barrel and still don't see you... it all seems so completely random.

Which wouldn't be so bad in itself if you weren't dumped right back to the start of the dungeon every time you got caught (and you will caught - there's very little in the way of signposting what to do next until you've failed at least once), and forced to repeat the same escape time and time again. Honest to god, the thought of having to look at Link's arse waddle through that little tunnel fills me with terror. And Link's arse isn't even that bad.

Oh, and the talking boat comes nowhere near to Epona. Epona was mysterious, powerful, cool. The talking boat is... err.. big and red.

In fact, the whole sailing thing itself is rather dire. At least when riding Epona across Hyrule Field, there was plenty to look at and admire, in WW there's just endless blue.

And the wind waker itself - argh! It's a rhtyhm game!

It's not so much that it doesn't improve over OoT, it's that it does most things worse than OoT. It's rare that a tacked-on incentive is worth more of your time than the actual product, but that's the case here.

[edit]Still, it does a nice version of Battleships[/edit]

• Advertisement

I would agree with soem thigns you say - the first dungeon is rediculous but didnt take me long to get past...so i didnt mind too much, im not a fan of the sailing and i have to say the talking boat is a bit **** too....hwoever im still really enjoying the game ! great fun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Personally I feel sorry for Link.

I mean jebus, Zelda gets herself kidnapped by just about every minor little "thinks-he's-evil"-thug in Hyrule.

Someone should just nail her feet to the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Actually, comapred to most game princesses, Zelda spends very little time kidnapped... I don't think she was even in either of the Oracle ones...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭mystik

ARHGHHHH!!! STupid CD-wow, i'm gonna have to wait at another 2 days to get mine and pikmin is wearing thin..........y the HELL is it YELLOW outside???!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

anyone find the game too easy ?

Really, how so? Wind Waker fails to even come close to my expectations - and these weren't even especially high expectations either, not after Nintendo's recent output.
    Fair enough, then say that. Don't say its shit. Its not shit. It has flaws. The first dungeon isn't the best (but its still pretty enjoyable).

That doesn't stop it from being one of the most charming, fun, satisfying games I've played on the gamecube.

One slight reservation I have is with the Wind Waker itself. I don't think its a strong enough gimick to carry the game - 3 other Zelda games used time travel to great effect. Oracle of Seasons had clever seasonal puzzles. I think the Wind Waker is a bit of a step back, to be honest. By the way, if you're not a fan of sailing, then learn the Ballad of Gales ASAP.
    Go to Shark Island and find the mapmaking fish - he'll give you a hint about how to control the cyclones

One other reservation I have is the number of dungeons. There isn't enough of them! In the good old days, there would have been one for the each of the 3 pearls, and one for each of the 8 Triforce pieces. Not here -
    one of the bloody pearls is just given to you, and getting the Triforce is just an extended fishing expedition
    . I think the developers took a bit of a shortcut - maybe Nintendo were pushing for them to finish it, I don't know.

Final reservation is that its too easy (so far, anyway). I won't say any more on that until I finish it.

Apart from these reservations, though, I still adore the game. I'm looking forward to finishing it. And I'll probably play through it again after that.

- Dave.

They had to delete 3 dungeons ! but blah still enjoying it, yea a bit easy, anywho still great fun - dont know if its too shrot as i havent finished it...

Im having a bit of trouble with a bit, wondering if som1 can help me :D

Ive talked to the fairy and got fire/ice arrows but cant seem to use them ! do you need to buy them after she lets you use them or what ? it says press down R and left/right but doesnt seem to work :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Ya know, I'm probably gonna buy a game cube just for this game but I severely doubt its gonna be as good as A Link To The Past.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Aim the arrow by holding down the button you have for arrows. Then press R to switch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

I'm stuck at a part so early. You know the part after "Windfall Island", you know, the island with all the chaps with wings (sorry, can't remember the name). I'm still trying to get into the volcano, I've blown up the rock to get the water out and I knocked the statues into the lava but when I get inside all I see is the three statues and the two lamps.
    But now, I don't know what to do...
    Help, please.

Go up to the statue and hold R to grab it. You can then pull it out of the way.

Yeah, I figured it out, thanks a million though. I'm still getting used to the whole control of the GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

lads!
    don't give away the game!!!

Originally posted by goo
    I'm stuck at a part so early. You know the part after "Windfall Island", you know, the island with all the chaps with wings (sorry, can't remember the name). I'm still trying to get into the volcano, I've blown up the rock to get the water out and I knocked the statues into the lava but when I get inside all I see is the three statues and the two lamps.
    But now, I don't know what to do...
    Help, please.

oh dear god colm I shouldnt laugh but thats really really simple..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Wilbert

Just got to the Earth Temple last night. I think it is a really cool game but a little too easy. I mean, I beat the first three bosses on the first attempt. There was nothing that easy in OoT or Majora.
    When you get the ballad of gales, it really cuts down on the sailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

this is ridiculos, i wanted to beat all u whoes [espically tusky :mad: ] but my mate nicked the game from me 5 days ago and hasnt givin it back!! im only on the forth dungeon:(

at least i managed to get my art done :)

im hereby offering a bounty on the head of robbb_mm :ninja:

I know Ben but it's not a thinking puzzle and I thought it was. I'm not used to the joypad yet and I didn't realise I was able to push/pull things, stupidly enough.

HAH Jim, dont worry I only been playing about an hour a day....im on the last dungeon though :)

• Advertisement

I've played a decent amount of the game now and there really is only one thing that I don't really love about it. It's the bloody ocean, when it's regular I actually loved it, just watching him sail was kind of nice but (trying not to spoil) at the bit I'm at (fairly early) the ocean is temporarily very sketchy and I had a long journey.
    Don't get me wrong, the view was lovely, but all the way to my destination the same two bloody sharks were chasing me and seeing as I wasn't in the mood to stop I had to jump (which I don't like doing, it being a boat and all) all the way there. Other than that there's very little. The one thing I can say it's been made to be a spectacle rather than to challenge. Certain things have been included to just make the whole thing run smoother, so it'll play like a cartoon.

Advertisement