Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

As a clue, is he Prussian?

No. Very, very famous. That's two clues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

feargale wrote: »
    No. Very, very famous. That's two clues :)

I cheated. May I give another clue. Little bit abstract

I cheated. May I give another clue. Little bit abstract

I don't know what you mean by abstract.
    I think another clue might give it away. Would you PM me please?

P.S. I suggest we wait and see if one or two more want a go and then give your clue when it's asked for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Goethe?

Goethe?

No

• Advertisement

Working backwards, then Martin Luther?

Working backwards, then Martin Luther?

Correct.

Correct.

Great, I was running out of famous Germans :D

My turn,

at which which battle was the Swedish King Gustavus Adolphus killed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Poltava?

Poltava?

Nope, this was in the 30 years war, 1632, Germany

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Breitenfeld?

If only because the band Sabaton wrote a song about that battle.

Manach wrote: »
    Breitenfeld?

If only because the band Sabaton wrote a song about that battle.

Close but no, it was a few battles later. Breitenfeld was the first major Swedish and Protestant victory, which opened up a new phase in the war. It was followed by another victory at the Battle of Lech where the old imperial commander, Tilly was killed. The next major battle was then the one where Adolphus was killed.

Maybe as an alternative question, does anyone know the name of the Imperial commander at this battle? He had been sacked after the Danish campaign due to the emperor's mistrust of his growing power, but with the death of Tilly the emperor was forced to rehire him. He was then later assassinated by Irish officers from a regiment of imperial dragoons

Wallenstein?

A Metal song about Breitenfeld 1631:

Wallenstein?

Yes!

There was an excellent TV Series (from Germany) on Wallenstein that I remember watching years ago.

My question: During WWII, this Allied nation troop's wore a patch in the form a Snake smoking a pipe. Prior to that expeditionary force's departure to the war, it was a common saying that: "It's more likely for a snake to smoke a pipe, than for the troops to go the front and fight."

From which Allied country did these soldiers come from?

There was an excellent TV Series (from Germany) on Wallenstein that I remember watching years ago.

My question: During WWII, this Allied nation troop's wore a patch in the form a Snake smoking a pipe. Prior to that expeditionary force's departure to the war, it was a common saying that: "It's more likely for a snake to smoke a pipe, than for the troops to go the front and fight."

From which Allied country did these soldiers come from?

New Zealand?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Unlikely to be New Zealand; there are no snakes, so proverbs involving snakes are unlikely.

I'm going to guess Brazil.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Unlikely to be New Zealand; there are no snakes, so proverbs involving snakes are unlikely.

I'm going to guess Brazil.

Yes: whose troops fought in the Italian campaign.

Your turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

....... He was then later assassinated by Irish officers from a regiment of imperial dragoons

Walter Devereux did the deed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Before we leave 1632, a brief aside to enthuse about a series of books where (just go with it) a whole small town in the USA gets transported to the middle of the 30 years war in Germany and has to adapt to life. Gustavus Adolphus and Wallenstein both feature. Really enjoyable concept even if very silly.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Before we leave 1632, a brief aside to enthuse about a series of books where (just go with it) a whole small town in the USA gets transported to the middle of the 30 years war in Germany and has to adapt to life. Gustavus Adolphus and Wallenstein both feature. Really enjoyable concept even if very silly.

I read the first book of the series - Ring of Fire(?), from Baen so it might be on their free library as a sample. I must admit to be cheering for the Imperial forces :). I think there was a couple of parallel books where similar time-slip effects transported other people to Columbus era America.

While we await the Q from Peregrinus ......The 'Captain Alatriste' series of novels by Arturo Perez-Reverte cover the same timeframe (reign of Philip IV), are available in translation and are a light/good read.

This one has been hanging for a long time without an answer:
    Name the West Cork clergyman's daughter who was the author of "The Dark Side of the Moon: The Incredible Story of What Really Happened in Poland During the Russian Occupation 1939-45"

Lucy Zoe Girling (1905-1968) was one of three daughters of Rev. Frederick Girling, C of I rector of Drinagh in West Cork. In 1921 Rev. Girling emigrated ( fled? ) with his family to England. The ostensible cause of his departure was "health reasons", but there is a suspicion that it had more to do with unpleasant events in Cork at that time.
    In the 1930s Zoe wrote some novels under the pseudonym Martin Hare. She married Alexander Zajdler of minor Polish nobility from the Vilnius area of Lithuania, which was part of Poland in the inter-war period and went to live in Poland.
    She escaped from Soviet occupied Poland and arrived in England in 1940. She was separated from her husband during the escape and never saw him again.
    Zoe Zaijdlerowa then wrote what was considered the definitive work on the Soviet atrocities in occupied Poland, anonymously to protect her Polish in-laws.

Peregrinus has 24 hours from this post to pose a question, then it will be open to anyone. :)

Alright, the deadline has passed.

Name the Roman republic politician who crashed a religious festival in drag in the 1st century BC.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Caligula and Nero would be contenders but they are 1st C AD

They're also in the Imperial period.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

They're also in the Imperial period.

I thought the roman empire was from around 25 BC?

• Advertisement

Yes, from the start of Augustus' reign in 27BC. But Nero and Caligula were several emperors on (Augustus, Tiberius, Claudius, then Caligula and Nero). Julius Caesar was not an emperor, though it's a common misconception.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement