Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Adolf Hitler's?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Manach wrote: »
    Adolf Hitler's?

I'm going with Hitler too, I have a feeling that clip of him with the Hitler Youth is from April 20th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Yep Hitler, it's also some big day for smoking weed in the United States ... think its because the police code for marijuana possession is 420 ...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Yep Hitler, it's also some big day for smoking weed in the United States ... think its because the police code for marijuana possession is 420 ...:)

Long past that, I'm more of a 401k man meself;)

The event known as the Mayaguez incident occurred when a US freighter was seized and a Marine detachment was sent in to rescue the vessel and crew.

Q: Which country seized the ship? (Hint, happened last century)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

The event known as the Mayaguez incident occurred when a US freighter was seized and a Marine detachment was sent in to rescue the vessel and crew.

Q: Which country seized the ship? (Hint, happened last century)

Spain

Afraid not, despite the ship name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Afraid not, despite the ship name.

Wasn't it Cambodia? I remember reading about it in a book on Combat SAR.. Bit of a clusterfu*k of a rescue op.

Wasn't it Cambodia? I remember reading about it in a book on Combat SAR.. Bit of a clusterfu*k of a rescue op.

Correct :It was mentioned in passing in Gaddis' Strategies of Containment.

Knucklehead6's turn.

fairly simple one so... What was the largest ship sunk off the Normandy coast on June 6th 1944

• Advertisement

A week.......It’s one of the ships deliberately scuttled as part of one of the Mulberry Harbours?

A week.......It’s one of the ships deliberately scuttled as part of one of the Mulberry Harbours?

Nope,

USS Susan B Anthony.

Next one is from the 60's and 70's... Which space crew has travelled faster than any other humans?

At a guess: Apollo 13's crew?

Nope,

USS Susan B Anthony.

Nope, she hit a mine the following day (7th).

I resorted to Google to find the one I was trying to remember - HMS Centurion, scuttled as a breakwater off Omaha Beach on 9 June 1944 to protect a mulberry harbour..
    On the 6th the biggest ship sunk was the Norwegian ‘Svenner’ (formerly HMS Shark’) an S-Class destroyer.

This thread appears to need a bump.
    Therefore I will repeat my previous question which seems to have been overlooked by everybody:

Name the West Cork clergyman's daughter who was the author of "The Dark Side of the Moon: The Incredible Story of What Really Happened in Poland During the Russian Occupation 1939-45."

Nope, she hit a mine the following day (7th).

I resorted to Google to find the one I was trying to remember - HMS Centurion, scuttled as a breakwater off Omaha Beach on 9 June 1944 to protect a mulberry harbour..
    On the 6th the biggest ship sunk was the Norwegian ‘Svenner’ (formerly HMS Shark’) an S-Class destroyer.

My apologies Pedro. Do you want to go or will we go with Feargales?

At a guess: Apollo 13's crew?

Nope. But cos my previous question was wrong I'm going to answer this anyway. It's the Apollo 10 crew.

My apologies Pedro. Do you want to go or will we go with Feargales?

No problem, I had a relative involved in the Mulberry harbour operation so I learned a little about the D-Day landings when researching him.
    I had no idea of the answer to Feargale' question without Google and I'd guess that the few remaining posters here don't know either. (Must read the book.)

Here's one that is back in history and this year is a 'big anniversary' (surprisingly I've not seen / heard any comment on it). (Clue – strong Irish connection!)

On the 12th of April in XXXX a group of about 50 ex-soldiers gathered on a dock and boarded a boat supposedly for a day-trip. That afternoon they rendezvoused offshore with the ship that carried their arms and supplies, including heavy weaponry. Two months later they reached their primary destination where they were told it was unsafe to land. They sailed about (not unnoticed) until a lack of food/water forced them to try landing at a different point. On reaching that location they hailed a passing fishing boat which then carried most of them ashore. Spotted by the coast watch, the local police were informed and all were soon rounded up and imprisoned.
    It was one of the most amateurish ‘invasions’ in that island’s history. The affair was named after the ship that carried them……what was its name and when did the event take place?

The affair was named after the ship that carried them……what was its name and when did the event take place?

Known as the ‘Jacknell Affair’, it was one of the events connected with the Fenian Rising.
    On the 12th of April, 1867, a party of forty or fifty men got on board a steamboat at a wharf in New York………….. The whole party was composed of ex-officers and privates of the American army….. They reached Sandy Hook in due time, and boarded the Jacknell, which quickly set sail toward the West Indies. The Jacknell's destination, however, was not the West Indies, but Ireland. ………… On Sunday, 29th of April, the sunburst of Erin was hoisted to the mainmast, and hailed with a salute from the three field pieces carried on board the "Erin's Hope," which was the new and auspicious name there and then bestowed on the adventurous brigantine.
    A landing at Sligo was impossible so they eventually chose Helvick, near Dungarvan

It continues HERE (scroll down to about mid-way on the page

Georg von Trapp, the strict patriarch from the famous musical The Sound of Music, what role did he play in WW1?

Georg_Johannes_von_Trapp.jpg

Bonus question, anyone who knows the name of the insignia his on-screen version is wearing from his neck?

ce258f9747d40faf59c1352d3f8f202b.jpg

• Advertisement

He was an Austro-Hungarian naval commander in the Adriatic. I think he was based at the port of Pula.
    I think he had something to do with the invention of the torpedo.

feargale wrote: »
    He was an Austro-Hungarian naval commander in the Adriatic. I think he was based at the port of Pula.

Yep, and what did he command?

Yep, and what did he command?

The u-boot section? See my edit above re torpedo,

The u-boot section? See my edit above re torpedo,

Hm, I'm not sure about the torpedo part, but yes he was a submarine commander at the start of the war and then promoted to command of a submarine base

I'll take it my answer is deemed correct. I'm new here and I'm not sure how easy or obscure a question should be. Anyway:
    President Paul von Hindenburg was directly descended from which equally or even more famous German?

P.S. I will deal with my previous (unanswered) question in a day or two. It seems nobody has the answer.

I'll take it myvanswer iscdeemed correct. I'm new here and I'm not sure how easy or obscure a question should be. Anyway:
    President Paul von Hindenburg was directly descended from which equally or even more famous German?

P.S. I will deal with my previous (unanswered) question in a day or two. It seems nobody has the answer.

von Clausewitz?

von Clausewitz?

No.

Frederick the Great of Prussia?

Frederick the Great of Prussia?

No.

• Advertisement