Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Cato?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

nope

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Mark Anthony?

What's the surname of the only grandfather and grandson to have been presidents of the USA?

Harrison

( William Henry and Benjamin. )

No.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Catallus?

No

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Cicero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Cicero

The guy who wrote 'Aedes sine libris, corpori sine spiritu similis est' is an unlikely candidate for drag. :pac:

PS and no, I think not Fredericus Mercurius either

I don't know anyone knows - should I just tell you?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I don't know anyone knows - should I just tell you?
    Yes.
    I cheated, looked it up just now and would never have got it. Even when I read about it, it brought only the vaguest recollection of the event.

I must re-read Robert Grave's 'Claudius' books again, although 'yer man' does not feature I think. The Graves are a fascinating family, clerics, writers, medical men, historians, etc. Not sure that I'd want a disease named after me though!

Clodius Publius Pulcher - a much under-rated politician from that era and a major opponent of Cicero. His sister was super cool too and his daughter was married to Octavian.

I studied ancient history in college so I may know too much about this.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Question?

The most northerly recorded coastal raid by Barbary pirates took place where?

feargale wrote: »
    The most northerly recorded coastal raid by Barbary pirates took place where?

Baltimore? The book "The Stolen Village"?

Purely a guess: Reykjavik?

Manach wrote: »
    Purely a guess: Reykjavik?

I'll take that though not strictly Reykjavik. There were three raids on Iceland in 1627, two on the mainland and the best known one in Vestmanneyjar. Many people were brought to Algiers including most notably the pastor's family. Some were ransomed by the King of Denmark.

Pastors did not have much luck! Another Irish one I know of concerns Rev. Devereux Spratt. He had worked as a tutor to the Dennys in Tralee and en route to England in 1641 with fellow passengers was captured by Algerine pirates. He says in his journal: "I embarked in one John Filmer's vessel, which sayled with about six score passengers, but before wee were out of sight of land wee were all taken by an Algire piratt, who put the men in chaines and stockes." He was brought to Algiers where he joined other slaves. He had the good fortune to be sold to a kindly master, who also allowed him to minister to his fellow-captives. Although ransomed, he remained there at the request of his ‘flock’ until he was forced to leave. He eventually became rector of Mitchelstown, Co. Cork and is buried there.

An interesting read on the Barbary pirates I'd recommend:
    Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates by Brian Kilmeade.

My question:
    The defendant could be offered two drinks.
    A white sherbet, freedom. A red sherbet, a death sentence that day.

However, as per a long standing custom, if the defendant could reach the palace exit via the gardens he was banished instead. Unfortunately he had to race the palace's gardeners who also served as the executors.

In which empire did this occur.

Sherbet is a Turkish word; the sultan had famous gardens (developed breeds of tulips) so I'm guessing Ottoman?

• Advertisement

Exactly right : it was from this interesting (if grimly humourous article).

"The Ottoman Empire’s Life-or-Death Race

Custom in the Ottoman Empire mandated that a condemned grand vizier could save his neck if he won a sprint against his executioner
    "
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-ottoman-empires-life-or-death-race-164064882/

Your turn.

Manach wrote: »
    Your turn.

Staying with a Barbary pirate connection …

He first came to prominence in 1803 when he commanded a raid on Tripoli and blew up a Barbary frigate. Then when the British American war ended he went back with a squadron; within 48 hours he captured a frigate, killing her captain. He then sailed to Algiers and moored off the governor’s palace with broadside guns pointing at it. He demanded and obtained his treaty and compensation for the former raiding of merchant vessels. Later in life he fought a duel with a rival naval officer – his first choice for his ‘second’ was the grandson of a McDonagh from Leixlip who declined. His eventual second was jealous of him and agreed to the duel being fought face to face at only eight paces. Both men fired at the same time, his opponent was wounded (and survived) and he died about 12 hours later.

Who was he?

Staying with a Barbary pirate connection …

He first came to prominence in 1803 when he commanded a raid on Tripoli and blew up a Barbary frigate. Then when the British American war ended he went back with a squadron; within 48 hours he captured a frigate, killing her captain. He then sailed to Algiers and moored off the governor’s palace with broadside guns pointing at it. He demanded and obtained his treaty and compensation for the former raiding of merchant vessels. Later in life he fought a duel with a rival naval officer – his first choice for his ‘second’ was the grandson of a McDonagh from Leixlip who declined. His eventual second was jealous of him and agreed to the duel being fought face to face at only eight paces. Both men fired at the same time, his opponent was wounded (and survived) and he died about 12 hours later.

Who was he?

Decatur? Didn't he have to burn the Philadelphia?

Decatur? Didn't he have to burn the Philadelphia?
    Yes. Stephen Decatur. He burned the Philadelphia (run aground by Bainbridge on an uncharted reef) to prevent her falling into 'pirate' hands. Thomas MacDonagh mentioned above also took part in that raid.

Your turn.

Yes. Stephen Decatur. He burned the Philadelphia (run aground by Bainbridge on an uncharted reef) to prevent her falling into 'pirate' hands. Thomas MacDonagh mentioned above also took part in that raid.

Your turn.

We'll keep it nautical and move forward in time.

What city did Lady Lex provide power to in 1929?

San Diego?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thought it was later than that and near Texas, though could be mistaking it with a later incident involving a nuclear one though.

Love the idea though , an aircraft carrier and a huge set of jump leads.

Thought it was later than that and near Texas, though could be mistaking it with a later incident involving a nuclear one though.

Love the idea though , an aircraft carrier and a huge set of jump leads.

nope.... further north

if no replies today I'll give the answer about 5pm. Whoever gets closest can take the next question

• Advertisement

Another clue - the waterworks in that city were designed by an Irishman who had settled there. Prior to running off to the US with his 'fancywoman' (and abandoning his wife and infant son) he was responsible for the electrification of the Lucan tram (previously steam) and also worked on the line to Blessington. He was ahead of the curve with plans for a hydro scheme on the Shannon (at Castleconnell) in the 1890's, and with another engineer drew up plans to extend the GSWR railway from Kenmare to Castletownbere.

Advertisement