Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

yer, i was away briefly so didnt hve a chance to post a different one.

you are correct sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

How bout another question Capt'n Midnight?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What was the final outcome of the first copyright battle ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

first copyright law?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm looking for the final outcome , not the initial judgement :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Why is this unstickyed?

I'm looking for the final outcome , not the initial judgement :D

i just made an obvious guess - was it half right?

outcome = lawsuit.....?

----
    wasingtons law of 1790?

or

'' 560 ruling against the Irish monk Columcille is widely accepted as one of the oldest recorded legal proceedings establishing a principle of copyright. In this article I examine this ancient Irish story, place it in the context of Irish society and law of its time and attempt to identify its relevance in our contemporary context. Specifically I examine the manner in which the ability to restrict reproduction of materials through the controls provided by copyright is used by groups and movements to assist the orderly expansion of their cultural message.''

wtf for the 2nd one btw - can anyone confirm that? i just got it off random site through google so not fact obviously, or not?

Long Version.
    In 560 a dispute arose over a copy Columba had made of St. Finnian's book of psalms. The result was Columba's instigation of a rebellion by the Clan Neill against King Diarmait of Ireland. This culminated in the Battle of Cooldrevny in 561. Dairmuid was defeated, and 3000 warriors were killed in the following battle. The copy of the Scriptures (the Cathal) returned to Columcille, but an Irish Synod decided that Columcille was the origin of the war and the death of many men and expelled him. And he was to convert 3,000 people to make up for the deaths.

Short Version.
    The initial ruling was politically motivated and was overturned in a higher court.

Remember this next time someone tells you about the first copyright case. ;)

As for the second bit , the church of Scientology use copyright to prevent people quoting their works.

conchubhar1 you might as well put up a question , though google is frowned upon - must setup a google quiz in TCN

tcn?

that was an interesting post

i only used google so i could qoute that piece - as it was an obvious guess there was a court case

i have no question to post - i only posted to keep this thread afloat.....

again - what is tcn??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

ok mousey to the rescue
    say if you used google btw

what was the largest battle to involve knights?

• Advertisement

agincourt?

only battle i know that gives me images of knights........ that and the battle of hattin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Im not really sure but i'll have a guess.

Maybe the battle at Acre.

Or possibly the battle between the Teutonic knights and the Poles. Cant remember the location of that though. Something like Mattenburg. I don't want to use google so they're my best guesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Im not really sure but i'll have a guess.

Maybe the battle at Acre.

Or possibly the battle between the Teutonic knights and the Poles. Cant remember the location of that though. Something like Mattenburg. I don't want to use google so they're my best guesses.
    ding ding ding

we have a winner

battle of tannenburg
    aka
    battle of gunwald

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Mousey- wrote: »
    ding ding ding

we have a winner

battle of tannenburg
    aka
    battle of gunwald

Brilliant. :D

I knew it had to be a battle involving either the templars or the teutonic order.

Ok. Keeping with the templars, name both the first and last grand masters of the Templars.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

With respect to Pablomakaveli it looks his question will remain forever unanswered.

Thus to start off afresh:

Larry Thorne (Lauri Allan Törni original name) served as a soldier in 3 armies:

Finnish, German and which other?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Manach wrote: »
    With respect to Pablomakaveli it looks his question will remain forever unanswered.

Thus to start off afresh:

Larry Thorne (Lauri Allan Törni original name) served as a soldier in 3 armies:

Finnish, German and which other?

US? He fought in Vietnam iirc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Correct : Sabaton even wrote a song about him : "Soldier of 3 Armies".

Your turn.

Keeping with the Finnish theme, what was the name of the Finnish 'cauldron' or encirclement tactics used during the Winter War?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Keeping with the Finnish theme, what was the name of the Finnish 'cauldron' or encirclement tactics used during the Winter War?

Motti?

Motti?
    Yep!

Ask away

• Advertisement

Fairly easy one,

First capital ship sunk during WW2?

Fairly easy one,

First capital ship sunk during WW2?
    The Royal Oak?

The Royal Oak?

Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

HMS Courageous

Manach wrote: »
    Had to go back to find the original Q (keeping with the templars, name both the first and last grand masters of the Templars.) - it’s a trick question as all sorts of conspiracy theories abound. In the early 1300’s the Pope suppressed the Order and Philip IV of France had its last ‘official’ Grand Master, Jacques de Molai, burned at the stake on the Isle St Louis (there is a plaque on the Pont Neuf detailing the event). The pair who wrote the Holy Blood/Holy Grail book wrote another about the Templars maintaining after suppression they moved to Scotland with their treasure and linked them with the birth of the Freemasons. So apparently there remains a GM.....

HMS Courageous

I think this is correct, your question Pedro.

Maybe we should also introduce a time limit, to keep it turning over

Sorry, was at a confirmation yesterday, Pedro is correct

I'll let Mods decide on time limit.

Who was he?
    He was born in America to an Irish mother and English father. He produced an iconic revolutionary image that was plagiarised, but is best known as the sitter in a famous painting. He was both historian and antiquarian; a mapmaker, engineer and town planner, he died executing one of his works and is buried in SW Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'll let Mods decide on time limit.

Who was he?
    He was born in America to an Irish mother and English father. He produced an iconic revolutionary image that was plagiarised, but is best known as the sitter in a famous painting. He was both historian and antiquarian; a mapmaker, engineer and town planner, he died executing one of his works and is buried in SW Ireland.

Henry Ford?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Henry Ford?
    No. Apart from all issues Henry's father was Co. Cork Irish and his mother was Belgian (perhaps born US to Belgian parents?) Mary Litogot.
    Clue - my man was much earlier.

Advertisement