Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

OK, 36 hours and several hundred hits without a name.
    The answer is
    Henry Pelham (1748-1806), born Boston, son of Peter Pelham and Mary Copley (nee Singleton of Quinville Abbey, Co. Clare).
    His etching of the ‘Boston Massacre’ was plagiarised by his friend Paul Revere (yes, that one) who rushed into print before Pelham, who wrote it was “one of the most dishonorable Actions you could well be guilty of…….[deprived me] as truly as if you had plundered me on the highway“ Revere’s underhand action is played down in American history, as he was ‘American’ and Pelham generally is viewed a Royalist.

Pelham was a noted miniaturist, many subjects being connections of the O’Brien (Inchiquin) family.

Pelham at age of about 16 is the subject in ‘Boy with a squirrel’ painted by his half-brother John Singleton Copley.

Pelham was a friend of Vallancy and other notables in antiquarian circles, and sketched/recorded ruins/ogham stones, etc. around Ireland. His engravings were used to illustrate Ferrar’s ‘History of Limerick’ and Francis Grose’s ‘Antiquities of Ireland’.

His map “A Plan of Boston in New England with its Environs” was published June 1777 is considered to be one of the most beautiful maps of Boston ever produced.
    His Grand Jury map of Limerick is monumental, in scope of work and size, on a scale of 1 1/8” to 1 English mile, broken down into 12 separate sheets, each measuring approximately one metre by half a metre.

He was Agent for Lord Lansdowne’s Kerry estate during which time he laid out the town plan for Kenmare. After leaving Lansdowne he worked for the War Office, supervising the building of Martello towers in Bantry Bay. He either drowned or died of a heart attack in a boat on Bantry Bay and his body was brought back to Kenmare for burial.

An easier one (I admit that Pelham does not receive the notoriety/credit he deserves).

This lady is better known……… (If yiz don't get this it's over to the Mods!)
    Her family background was staunchly Unionist; her brother an MP, her father was a Viscount, the title created in the 1700’s and it today has a coincidental but unrelated royal ‘connection’. Born in London, she was multilingual, well-travelled and lived mainly in Ireland. She ‘Gaelicised’ her name, taking as Christian name that of an Irish saint who has been depicted in stained glass by Harry Clarke. She was on ‘active service’ during the Troubles and was on hunger strike for a period. A radical eccentric she had a war wound in common with Forrest Gump.:eek::D
    Who was she?

Meter - thread views - 58,425

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

An easier one (I admit that Pelham does not receive the notoriety/credit he deserves).

This lady is better known……… (If yiz don't get this it's over to the Mods!)
    Her family background was staunchly Unionist; her brother an MP, her father was a Viscount, the title created in the 1700’s and it today has a coincidental but unrelated royal ‘connection’. Born in London, she was multilingual, well-travelled and lived mainly in Ireland. She ‘Gaelicised’ her name, taking as Christian name that of an Irish saint who has been depicted in stained glass by Harry Clarke. She was on ‘active service’ during the Troubles and was on hunger strike for a period. A radical eccentric she had a war wound in common with Forrest Gump.:eek::D
    Who was she?

It's one of three that I can think of, now to hit the books and try to figure out which one.

It's one of three that I can think of, now to hit the books and try to figure out which one.
    No books, that's cheating! :P:)
    (:o I could not remember where Mary Litogot was born - soI admit I went to Google - she was born in the US.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I cheated because i wanted to know.. and without giving it away, when you say 'Troubles' you are referring here to the 1920s events rather than the 2nd half of the 20th century right?

• Advertisement

I cheated because i wanted to know.. and without giving it away, when you say 'Troubles' you are referring here to the 1920s events rather than the 2nd half of the 20th century right?

Well then I haven't a clue. I was leaning towards Mairead Nugent

Well then I haven't a clue. I was leaning towards Mairead Nugent

Hehe, me too originally on account of the Nugent name

Yes, it was in the earlier 'Troubles' - I deliberately was unclear but counteracted that with the Harry Clarke clue - he died in the 1930's. (Many of the Nugents really are O'Reilly's)
    Another clue - She was connected to the von Trapp family, of 'Sound of Music' fame. Or p'raps that adds more confusion!:D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've got nothing but I'm really enjoying this thread.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hehe, me too originally on account of the Nugent name

I knew it couldn't be Farrell, she wasn't born in London, and Mary Doyle was a non runner.

• Advertisement

We are 8 hits short of 200 and no close guesses .

The lady in question is the Hon. Albinia Brodrick. Born to the 8th Viscount Midleton in London. (Coincidental but unrelated royal connection = Kate Middleton)

She used the Irish name of Gobnait Ni Bhruadair (St. Gobnait’s window by Harry Clarke is in the Honan chapel in Cork.)

Wound/Forest Gump - There are various stories about her wound, (fleshwound, in a buttock, but described as in ‘her leg’ possibly for the sake of decorum). One is that she, a renowned cyclist, failed to stop at a Treaty checkpoint and was shot at and hit, the other that she cycled a deliberately wobbly path in the middle of the road to block a ‘Free State’ armoured car. After they stopped a soldier fired a shot in her direction ‘in fun’ but he managed to hit her. Take your pick!

The ‘Sound of Music ‘ clue is that Albinia/Gobnait’s cousin, Agatha Whitehead was the first wife of Georg Ludwig von Trapp, the father in that story/musical/film. Agatha’s Whitehead grandfather invented the torpedo (as we knew it in WW1) and when the Admiralty turned it down he was invited by Emperor Franz Josef to open a factory on the Adriatic and made his stash. Agatha launched a U-Boat which was vonTrapp’s first command and how they met. (She died of scarlet fever nursing the sick children, von Trapp lost the inheritance and the singing nun/second wife Maria came later.) This site is quite accurate on her (misspells her name tho' and I don’t accept all of their info. on other topics.

She is buried in the C of I Church in Sneem.

This lady is better known………

Thread views are now at 58,617 so I hope it's ok if I go ahead and spoil it.. I assume after extensive Googling it was Gobnaith ni Bhruadair, Albinia Lucy Brodrick.

Pedro you are up again. In the meantime an easier one, how many battles of the Isonzo were there in WW1? (including the final decisive breakthrough offensive which goes by a different name)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Seven?

Manach wrote: »
    Seven?

Nope, try again!

Nope, try again!

'Lots'! :P
    Not my area/era, I'm aware of the events only in the sketchiest details from reading Hemingway all those years ago! Strange how some things stick.

So there were 12 battles in total, 11 Battles of the Isonzo and then Caporetto which was the 12th. I think this was the one Hemingay wrote about, and it's also noted sometimes for the participation of a young Erwin Rommel.

Let's go to WW2 I think that might be more a common area.

What was the name of the last major German offensive, with the aim of securing the Hungarian oilfields?

I had to google the oilfields...

Here's another:
    Name the two well-known diarists of the Restoration, one a bit prim & proper, the other at times salacious!

One has to be Samuel Pepys - the other ...

One has to be Samuel Pepys - the other ...
    Yes. Sam was the philanderer and wrote about it.

The other was a founder member of the Royal Society and a handy man in the garden. He became a good friend of Pepys who wrote `In fine, a most excellent person he is, and must be allowed a little for conceitedness; but he may well be so, being a man so much above others'.

Christopher Wren ?

• Advertisement

Christopher Wren ?
    Good guess, on the money for date and FRS, but AFAIK he was not a diarist. The correct answer is (Sir) John Evelyn. His diary is HERE

Last one from me...
    Three years after their marriage, her husband died of gangrene, the result of a bullet wound sustained in a battle fighting for the Protestant cause against the Spanish. He was an English poet, courtier, scholar, and soldier. She remarried but ten years later that husband was beheaded for treason. She then married for the third time, to an Irish nobleman, who supposedly had been her lover. They came to live in Ireland where they built a large home that still stands. She also built a home in Kent where she died in 1633.
    Who was she?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kildarejohn

Last one from me...
    Three years after their marriage, her husband died of gangrene, the result of a bullet wound sustained in a battle fighting for the Protestant cause against the Spanish.. ... She also built a home in Kent where she died in 1633.
    Who was she?
    This appears to be Frances, daughter of Sir Frances Walsingham, who married first Sir Philip Sydney, then Robert Devereux Earl of Essex, and thirdly Richard de Burgh, Earl of Clanricarde. The home in Kent was Somer Hill.

Yes on all counts - the Irish home they built is Portumna Castle. Your turn.............

This Kildare gentleman was said to be on such friendly terms with a Duke that they called each other Jimmy and George. Who was he?

Guess - James was the christian name of the 1st Duke of Leinster ; he would have been around at the same time as George I although calling him George would be lèse-majesté..........

Pedro - youre right that the Duke of Leinster comes into it, but actually the 2nd Duke. I guess the person I am looking for is perhaps a little obscure, not royalty or even titled, just one of the local Kildare ruling class in 18th/early 19th c.
    To help anyone find the answer online, the source is Turtle Bunberry.

This Kildare gentleman was said to be on such friendly terms with a Duke that they called each other Jimmy and George. Who was he?

OK, as nobody has answered my question and it was a bit obscure, I had better answer it myself.
    The man in question was James Medlicott.
    Turtle Bunbury wrote - "During the 1798 Rebellion, old James won considerable respect from the Catholic population when he personally intervened to save the life of the universally loved and respected parish priest of Kildare who was about to be hung from tree by a renegade mob of loyalist soldiers. He was a close friend of the 2nd Duke of Leinster, they referred to one another as Jimmy and George"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Name the West Cork clergyman's daughter who was the author of "The Dark Side of the Moon: The Incredible Story of What Really Happened in Poland During the Russian Occupation 1939-45"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Who's birthday is it today (April 20th) without Googling ?

You won't find a Google doodle for this person for sure ..

Advertisement