Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Breeders of Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

Hey I'm looking for a Standard Schnauzer, can anyone help me out?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Maddylicious

Thanks for the replies guys :-)

I'm aware that it is a cross breed but I wasn't aware of the health issues so I'm glad I asked this. I've never had a dog before and just happened to see a pugalier during the summer and thought it was gorgeous. They're looks sure arent worth those health issues though the poor things :(

Well does anyone know any reputable breeders of miniature yorkshire terriers?! Also what is the difference between miniatures and normal yorkies apart from the size??

Thanks a mill,

Maddy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lisak

DOES ANYONE KNOW A BREEDER OF MINIATURE BULL TERRIERS..????
    I HAVE BEING LUKIN FOR AGES.. I AM WILLING TO GO ANYWHERE IN IRELAND..

PLZ LET ME KNOW IF U DO THANKS

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

posting peoples phone numbers and names on the interwebs? Not the done thing, ye should consider editing those the details and then PM him the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tujis

I look for chinese crested dog breeders in Ireland. Can help?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 conord442

hey any1 no any staff breeders in Galway or any where in the surrounding area??or any long haired German shepards any where in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Personally i dont like donedeal, there are a lot of puppy farmers and dodgy breeders on it.

Best to go to the IKC.ie website and look up the relative breed club and contact the secretary. They will put you in contact with breeders of the breed you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

I hope this is the right forum. It's in relation to a breeders conditions. Please feel free to move if not.

I bought a dog on saturday from a dog breeder (who I won't name) and there were several problems.

We bought a king charles cavalier (IKC registered, fully vaccinated, 8 weeks old). The breeder had several different types of dogs which I wasn't sure about but they were all in seperate pens, all friendly and we met the dogs mother who was healthy.

When we brought the dog home he was active and very affectionate. He got used to us straight away, no nerves and very affectionate but refused to eat. On Sunday there was diarrhoea and vomiting so we called an emergency vet who diagnosed gastroenteritis and then pointed out that the dog had an eye infection, nose infection (we had noticed some gunk at his nose and eye and thought it was dirt from the farm he had been on and wiped it away) and later I looked at his ear and based on my knowledge of an ear infection from a yorkie I had for ten years, I am pretty certain he has an ear infection too.
    He also had a seizure at the vets (he was a beautiful and affectionate dog, it was terrible)

We got some eye medicine, tablets to start later in the week (the vet was very blunt that he didn't think the dog would last that long) and sachets to dilute in sterile water.

Last night he took some of the water in a syringe and was somewhat more lifely. We were up late with him but early this morning there was more diarrhoea, he was completely listless and had another seizure.

We brought him to our regular vet from our last dog this morning and again they weren't hopeful (also becuase he got sick so soon we hadn't had time to insure him -we've always insured our dogs but we were going to bring him for a vet's check up first) We had aready been in contact with the breeder and he had spoken to the first vet too and we had decided to return him to the breeder. Our last dog died a month ago and no one could handle watching another dog die.

He was refusing water now so he got fluid injections under the skin and notes from the vet to return to the breeder with the idea he could be put on a drip then. On a side note the vets didn't think it was parvo because of the lack of blood in his stools and he had his first vaccinations.

The breeder brought us to his house this time (not where the dogs were) and offered us a replacement dog from another breeder that he had just collected. He assured us he wasn't selling his dogs until they were checked out (but he was discussing prices on the phone with another customer later) This new dog was microchipped but had no papers, he wanted to take our details and have everything sent to us in our name. He wasn't sure of the new dogs age but said it was about the same as the dog we had bought. But the dog we bought was half the size or less and at that had been bigger than the other dogs in his litter. Breeder said that this was because the father of the new dog was bigger but a few people who have seen photos we took just after collecting our dog have said he was far too skinny for his breed (our previous dog was a yorkie so we had no comparison for King Charles)

We didn't take the other dog and while the breeder returned our money he said the vets bills (which had added up) were nothing to do with him and there was no way it would pay for them. We didn't push it. Our main concern was that the original dog would get treatment and we gave him all the medication we had got for him (the breeder said he would be fine, he was breeding dogs for years and the vets were wrong)

Thanks for anyone who read all that. My concern is - we know that the dog would have had to have all these problems when we bought him but did the breeder know when he sold them? Surely the breeder should have been aware of the (now I think about it - obvious) infections even if he didn't know about the seizures or gastroenteritis. Because so many people have commented that he was far too small for his size (when he was the largest male in the litter) and that the other dog we were shown today was so much bigger and stronger when supposedly the same age. Also not having papers for another dog he wanted to give us as a replacement worries me.

Were we just unluckly with the dog or should I mention this to someone at the IKC? Do this breeders premises/ dogs need to be inspected. It's been an awful weekend, mostly spent at the vets and nursing a sick dog and I would hate for another family to go through this.

Also the IKC website doesn't seem to be working - edit- working now

Im sorry but this sounds like a puppy farmer to me, how many other breeds did he have??
    Where did you find this so called breeder from anyway? was he recommended to you?
    At least he took the pup back and i def wouldnt be getting another one from him and make sure you warn as many people as possible about him.

He is saying the vet is wrong, about what?? the poor pup is very sick, having seizures too, poor little fella, fair play to you for going back to him and getting your money back, but he does sound like a puppy farmer to me.

Was the first pup sold with papers?? if not then im not sure the IKC can do much about it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

andreac wrote: »
    Im sorry but this sounds like a puppy farmer to me, how many other breeds did he have??
    Where did you find this so called breeder from anyway? was he recommended to you?
    At least he took the pup back and i def wouldnt be getting another one from him and make sure you warn as many people as possible about him.

He is saying the vet is wrong, about what?? the poor pup is very sick, having seizures too, poor little fella, fair play to you for going back to him and getting your money back, but he does sound like a puppy farmer to me.

Was the first pup sold with papers?? if not then im not sure the IKC can do much about it really.

He was sold with papers and registered with the IKC. I would be afraid to get a dog like that without papers because small house friendly breeds are often stolen. And we wanted to be sure we were buying a dog who had his first round of vaccinations and to check the mother was healthy.

I found him on irishdogs/donedeal.ie . Didn't know until we went up to him that he bred lots of breeds. He had westies and labradors. I didn't look in all the pens so I'm not sure what else he had. I assumed once we had the IKC documentation the breeders premises would have been checked out and approved. (we're not breeders so my knowledge of the IKC is limited)

I emailed the IKC with the same information I put here so I'll see if they get back to me.

We're not breeders as I said and not looking for show dogs and would be happy to take a rescue dog but we have a smallish garden and normal 3 bedroom house. My moving back home is temporary too so it's really my parents dog. They find the house very lonely without Ben, our last dog. Most rescue dogs we've looked at are large breeds or cross breeds who might get very big when older it wouldn't be fair to a large dog to keep him in our house. I've seen others do that and it breaks my heart. That's the reason we looked for pure bred dogs and a breeder with IKC registered pups and vaccinations.

The emergency vet called today to ask how he was doing and I told him the story but he assured me that Jack was normal for his size which really makes us wonder what age the other dog he was offering us was as he was really a lot bigger (and also extremely nervous, particularly with my dad whereas Jack -the dog we got on Saturday- was trusting and affectionate from the start).

We've learned our lesson and our regular vet who we saw this morning has offered to give us details of breeders he knows and trusts.

The breeder also said we could take Jack back in a week because he'll be fine then (so he thinks) but as adorable as he was and as tempting as it is, taking on a dog that we definately know to have his medical history just isn't a good decision practically even if he does recover. :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 xxkathrynbxx

hi im wondering does anyone know of golden retriever breeders in the west of ireland i went on the irish kennell clubs website and there is no info what so ever!!!!

please help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 xxkathrynbxx

hi im wondering does anyone know of golden retriever breeders in the west of ireland i went on the irish kennell clubs website and there is no info what so ever!!!!

please help smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 conord442

Golden retrevier club of reland 0449668819!!they should put you in touch with some breeders in da west!!

Taken from IKC website
    All Ireland Golden Retriever Club
    Ms E Horan,

Goldenheights,Cahir,Aghadoe, Killarney

( 064-33083 )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

DesignLady wrote: »
    I hope this is the right forum. It's in relation to a breeders conditions. Please feel free to move if not.

I bought a dog on saturday from a dog breeder (who I won't name) and there were several problems.

We bought a king charles cavalier (IKC registered, fully vaccinated, 8 weeks old). The breeder had several different types of dogs which I wasn't sure about but they were all in seperate pens, all friendly and we met the dogs mother who was healthy.

When we brought the dog home he was active and very affectionate. He got used to us straight away, no nerves and very affectionate but refused to eat. On Sunday there was diarrhoea and vomiting so we called an emergency vet who diagnosed gastroenteritis and then pointed out that the dog had an eye infection, nose infection (we had noticed some gunk at his nose and eye and thought it was dirt from the farm he had been on and wiped it away) and later I looked at his ear and based on my knowledge of an ear infection from a yorkie I had for ten years, I am pretty certain he has an ear infection too.
    He also had a seizure at the vets (he was a beautiful and affectionate dog, it was terrible)

We got some eye medicine, tablets to start later in the week (the vet was very blunt that he didn't think the dog would last that long) and sachets to dilute in sterile water.

Last night he took some of the water in a syringe and was somewhat more lifely. We were up late with him but early this morning there was more diarrhoea, he was completely listless and had another seizure.

We brought him to our regular vet from our last dog this morning and again they weren't hopeful (also becuase he got sick so soon we hadn't had time to insure him -we've always insured our dogs but we were going to bring him for a vet's check up first) We had aready been in contact with the breeder and he had spoken to the first vet too and we had decided to return him to the breeder. Our last dog died a month ago and no one could handle watching another dog die.

He was refusing water now so he got fluid injections under the skin and notes from the vet to return to the breeder with the idea he could be put on a drip then. On a side note the vets didn't think it was parvo because of the lack of blood in his stools and he had his first vaccinations.

The breeder brought us to his house this time (not where the dogs were) and offered us a replacement dog from another breeder that he had just collected. He assured us he wasn't selling his dogs until they were checked out (but he was discussing prices on the phone with another customer later) This new dog was microchipped but had no papers, he wanted to take our details and have everything sent to us in our name. He wasn't sure of the new dogs age but said it was about the same as the dog we had bought. But the dog we bought was half the size or less and at that had been bigger than the other dogs in his litter. Breeder said that this was because the father of the new dog was bigger but a few people who have seen photos we took just after collecting our dog have said he was far too skinny for his breed (our previous dog was a yorkie so we had no comparison for King Charles)

We didn't take the other dog and while the breeder returned our money he said the vets bills (which had added up) were nothing to do with him and there was no way it would pay for them. We didn't push it. Our main concern was that the original dog would get treatment and we gave him all the medication we had got for him (the breeder said he would be fine, he was breeding dogs for years and the vets were wrong)

Thanks for anyone who read all that. My concern is - we know that the dog would have had to have all these problems when we bought him but did the breeder know when he sold them? Surely the breeder should have been aware of the (now I think about it - obvious) infections even if he didn't know about the seizures or gastroenteritis. Because so many people have commented that he was far too small for his size (when he was the largest male in the litter) and that the other dog we were shown today was so much bigger and stronger when supposedly the same age. Also not having papers for another dog he wanted to give us as a replacement worries me.

Were we just unluckly with the dog or should I mention this to someone at the IKC? Do this breeders premises/ dogs need to be inspected. It's been an awful weekend, mostly spent at the vets and nursing a sick dog and I would hate for another family to go through this.

Also the IKC website doesn't seem to be working - edit- working now

There is no question about it, Puppy farmer for sure!

Unfortunately there are no checks by the ikc or anybody else on breeders, all you need is the dogs and breed away.

Was this breeder based in Kildare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Anybody know where you can buy those teacup yorkshire terriers, Iv had big dogs all my life but one of the family children are looking for one of these teacup dogs.
    Are these dogs healthy or are they worth staying away from.
    All advice gladly welcomed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Miss-Sparrow

Okay, I've just briefly looked over this thread.
    I'm so desperately looking for someone with wee Jack Russell puppies in around Dublin or even other areas.
    This is for a Mother's day gift so.. I'm really going crazy here.
    I've spent the last few days constantly looking up breeders in Ireland.
    I don't really want any dodgy deals here.
    Healthy male pup.

I've checked gumtree and buyandsell etc..
    You name it, I've most probably checked them out.
    Just cant seem to find one.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 luciano

Hi,

I'm looking for a contact for someone who breeds
    english bulldog. Any ideas? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johnny3023

hi, im just registered, here 2 give loving home 2 rottweiller pup, (free) if any 1 has some

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Anyone know how I can lay my hands on one of these bitches? They seem hard to get in Ireland.Thank you in advance:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Does anyone know exactly what the clubs mentioned offer? Are they just for people wanting to show dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Seanie21

I purchased a siberian husky pup last september from a limerick based breeder who met me in portlaoise, i have lost his contact details so i have no way of contacting him about getting a copy of his dog jack the rippers papers. If anyone knows of a siberian husky breeder in limerick could they let me know because the name would be familiar if i seen it again. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Anyone know where I could buy one (a bitch), midlands area? Maybe even just a red setter? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Seanie21 wrote: »
    I purchased a siberian husky pup last september from a limerick based breeder who met me in portlaoise, i have lost his contact details so i have no way of contacting him about getting a copy of his dog jack the rippers papers. If anyone knows of a siberian husky breeder in limerick could they let me know because the name would be familiar if i seen it again. Cheers

Heard the saying Caveat Emptor? ... It means Buyer Beware.

Maybe you just didn't know, but when you buy a dog you should see it first at the breeder's home, and view the mother of the pup, and possibly the father if he is also owned by the breeder. You should be satisfied that the premises is clean and that all dogs there appear to be in good physical health, and pups should be displaying the normal puppy traits, ie. happy, playful, social, eager to explore. The breeder should ask you as many questions as you ask them- they will want to know that their pup is going to a suitable home and that the buyer is aware of what's involved in rearing and caring for that particular breed. If the pups are registered the papers should be available to you on the day you purchase, as well as the vaccination records. And the breeder should have no hesitation discussing with you the results of the breed relevant health checks carried out on both parents.

What an disreputable breeder does is sell you a pup with promises that the papers will be forwarded in the post. They might give you false contact details, if any. Some of them also offer to 'meet you halfway'....fooling you into thinking they're being kind and obliging, when the truth is that they don't want potential buyers to see, in some cases, the state of their breeding premises, or the multiple breeds on site, or the filth and squalor the dogs and pups live in, or the ill health and misery of the breeding bitches.... they don't want you to find out they're the scum of the earth, ie. a puppy farmer.

I'm not saying you bought your pup from a puppy farmer. Even you have no way of knowing.
    Unfortunately, you have more than likely got your pup from an irresponsible and disreputable 'breeder', and I use that term loosely. If you even managed to track down the seller- I doubt very much that you'll get papers.

On the bright side- at least your pup is alive and well even though you have no idea where he really came from.... many of them die shortly after being bought in similar circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 anita15

anita15 wrote: »
    You wont be selling them here!!

wasnt selling them at all ,was looking for good homes for them my basset will then be neutered ,not into makin money by breeding puppies we work for a living:mad: :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

wasnt selling them at all ,was looking for good homes for them my basset will then be neutered ,not into makin money by breeding puppies we work for a living:mad: :mad:

Well if thats the case.Post in the rehoming thread after they`re born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

I've lost track of this one. Selling what here????

Cloudy, i imagine the post was edited to take out what she was selling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Oh I see. thanks for that. Andreac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 pitty lover

hay i was at the euro dog show in rds last week and heard that american staffs are going to be recognized by the ikc anyone no if thats true

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement