Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Breeders of Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 anita15

andreac wrote: »
    Cloudy, i imagine the post was edited to take out what she was selling.

hi
    just to let u know i wasnt selling anything i said my dog may be having puppies and that they would be pure bred

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

anita15 wrote: »
    hi
    just to let u know i wasnt selling anything i said my dog may be having puppies and that they would be pure bred

:o

I love Bassets. My aunt used to have one. And I loved the cartoon strip, Fred The Bassett. But I hate the guys that have been bred to have all the excess skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 pitty lover

so no one knows about the amstaffs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jolo

Anyone know of any Coton de Tulear breeders please?

Only just discovered the breed and it seems(after a little research and several photos) like my dream dog.

I need a reasonably hypoallergenic breed. Only discovered recently that Shih Tzus are good. Had a Shih Tzu growing up and couldn't figure out why I had seemed to 'develop' an allergy to dogs since then.

Was thinking of a Westie but read on the boards that they may not be great with kids - I have 2 girls aged 9 and 12. They understand that dogs aren't toys but would still like a dog that was a bit playful and might enjoy a cuddle now and then. So I was thinking of a Shih Tzu or a Maltese. I'd like something quite small but that could enjoy a bit of a walk. Any other suggestions for a suitable breed please?

Unfortunately this is still very much at the planning/considering stage as my OH isn't convinced we should have a dog yet.

We had a cat for 17 years who ruled the roost and that's why we weren't able to have a dog(or even another cat) in that time. I'd love to gat a dog and a cat together to grow up as mates but that's probably unlikely with the allergy situation now.

In my search for Maltese pups I came across the Coton de Tulear and fell in love. Unfortunately I think they may be WAY out of our price range. I know the cost shouldn't determine the breed but it is a factor in reality. I had also considered a Shih Tzu/Maltese hybrid. In my naivity hadn't realised these are labelled 'designer dogs' and just thought they'd make an interesting mix and might be aa little cheaper - Wrong again.! Is there any way of finding a reliable breeder of these types of mixes? Or should I just look for a reliable breeder of Shih Tzus or Maltese?

I'm in the Limerick/Tipperary area but would be prepared to travel to meet the dog family if and when the time comes as I know that's important.

Please don't think I'm just trying to waste your time as I am getting very valuable information on here about breeders and training and it is a genuine consideration.

Any help welcome.

your girls wouldent be to young for a westie if you wanted one but if you have dog allergies your best option is to go with one with no fur like a poodle or bedlington terrier or beshion freis (dont no the correct spelling) there coats are wool i think pitbulls and staffies are a brill family dogs and just great in general but i dont think they would be to your taste but have a nosie at the 3 i said above hopefull you will have a bit of luck :) and there is no shame in wanting to buy a dog and not spend a ridicullas amount of money on it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Hi

What a shame about the allerdies. Though I totally get what you are saying about the price of the Coton's. They are prob what, a grand. A Bichon is I think pretty similar, or a maltese, but I think the prices of Maltese's are still pretty high.

I personally don't see a problem with a hybrid, Shiht-zu's x Maltese or others. It's all down to personal preference.

I agree with Pitty love, Staff's make great family pets. as do boxers, but boxers shed.

I would say maybe google non allergenic dog breeds and see what info you can find on each breed and this may help you narrow it down. the problem with Westie's is they are prone to a lot of health probs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

poodles are non allergy also

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jolo

Thanks for your help.
    I'm not a huge fan of poodles or bichon tbh, no offense to all who are.
    Westies, shihtzus and maltese are usually listed as hypoallergenic also. I understand that this is really only a relative term but that's the best hope I have.
    Are poodles really more hypoallergenic than the others I've listed?

Also read that Coton de Tulear are very very hypo, their having hair very like human hair rather than fur.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hi jolo,
    I have a Tibetan terrier and believe they are allergy friendly(my dogs brother went to a couple with allergies and had no probs)
    They are a great dog, good with my daughter and every other child we meet, they are very long haired so need a good haircut about 3 times a year and still need a brush at least a couple of times a week. They are medium size(approx Cocker size).
    Prices can vary, contact the club it's on IKC website.
    One thing is I was told they are hard to train, I haven't had any major probs, you do need patience and a gentle but firm hand, and they definately have strong personalities and don't like being alone for more than few hours.
    All that said they are wonderful, playful, loveable dogs and I don't think now I would have any other breed of dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

I know this is probably a little late for some of the questions but to anyone enquiring about huskies and malamutes, I'd highly reccomend Lueldar Kennels in Kilkenny www.lueldar.com

I got my husky from them and they really are excellent breeders who care about the welfare of their dogs, puppies and the breed in general. They're always there as well if you have a question or a problem.

However, the one thing I would say (hopefully without coming across as too preachy) is please, please research the breeds before you buy. While undoubtably beautiful, huskies and malamutes are a lot of work. They have very high exercise requirements and prey drive, shed quite a bit (especially malamutes) and take a lot of hard work to train (while no doubt intelligent, they can be stubborn). Far too many dogs (any breed, not just huskies and malamutes) are ending up in shelters because people buy them for their 'cute' appeal without any actual idea of the work involved.

Just my two cents. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 harryR

A lot of people going for non shed dogs do get the labradoodle.. apparantly a very intelligent mix as well;)

However, the one thing I would say (hopefully without coming across as too preachy) is please, please research the breeds before you buy. While undoubtably beautiful, huskies and malamutes are a lot of work. They have very high exercise requirements and prey drive, shed quite a bit (especially malamutes) and take a lot of hard work to train (while no doubt intelligent, they can be stubborn). Far too many dogs (any breed, not just huskies and malamutes) are ending up in shelters because people buy them for their 'cute' appeal without any actual idea of the work involved.

Just my two cents. :)[/quote]

not preachey at all i agree 100% there defo not for the first time owner well said :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Alexandra.

Hi,
    Desperatly looking for a lhasa-poo (cross between lhasa apso and a poodle). Breed seems imposible to find. Can anyone help please?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Alexandra. wrote: »
    Hi,
    Desperatly looking for a lhasa-poo (cross between lhasa apso and a poodle). Breed seems imposible to find. Can anyone help please?
    thanks

Its not a breed, thats why it would be hard to find, its a so called Designer cross breed, bred to make a quick buck for someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Alexandra.

I know it is a cross breed, but unfortunately i cant choose any other dog as its a replacement. Thanks anyway. I have to ask again
    Does anyone know where i can find a lhasa-poo (cross between a lhasa aspo and poodle). thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I don't know any breeders myself, I'd have a look on the likes of donedeal.ie and buyandsell.ie in the dogs section. I recall coming across a lhasapoo or two when looking for a lhasa apso myself.
    (I'd push for the lhasa apso though, I love them so much).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Alexandra. wrote: »
    I know it is a cross breed, but unfortunately i cant choose any other dog as its a replacement. Thanks anyway. I have to ask again
    Does anyone know where i can find a lhasa-poo (cross between a lhasa aspo and poodle). thanks

As it is a cross breed, you may be hard pushed to find one the same as the original if its a replacement, cross breeds can come out in different shapes and sizes, even when you cross the same two original breeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭MacBaldy

donedeal is a site online for buying pets its the same as buy and sell etc, NOT PURE BRED BREEDERS, these are all pupies farms an home breeding, it is a very big risk

im looking or bichon frise from september october onwards , hope you fine what your looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

MacBaldy wrote: »
    donedeal is a site online for buying pets its the same as buy and sell etc, NOT PURE BRED BREEDERS, these are all pupies farms an home breeding, it is a very big risk

Sorry but you're not completely right there.... Plenty of responsible breeders of PBs use DoneDeal and Buy & Sell- simply because these sites have a huge audience. It doesn't automatically make them puppy farmers or hobby breeders....these bad apples only make up a small number of the advertisers using the sites.

It's only a huge risk to 'shop' from these sites if the buyer hasn't researched how to avoid irresponsible breeders, how to recognise badly bred dogs, what to ask and look out for....
    Adding a dog of any breed to your family is a big committment and the decision should be an informed one and well researched- so if someone hasn't done their research and ends up getting duped- that makes them irresponsibe owners, so more fool them. It's the dogs I feel sorry for in those cases.

Sorry but you're not completely right there.... Plenty of responsible breeders of PBs use DoneDeal and Buy & Sell- simply because these sites have a huge audience. It doesn't automatically make them puppy farmers or hobby breeders....these bad apples only make up a small number of the advertisers using the sites.

It's only a huge risk to 'shop' from these sites if the buyer hasn't researched how to avoid irresponsible breeders, how to recognise badly bred dogs, what to ask and look out for....
    Adding a dog of any breed to your family is a big committment and the decision should be an informed one and well researched- so if someone hasn't done their research and ends up getting duped- that makes them irresponsibe owners, so more fool them. It's the dogs I feel sorry for in those cases.

fair point i guess but it is hard to tell which are real, i have looked at bichon frise as an example an found none pure bred, all talk bout ikc reg tryin to look good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

MacBaldy wrote: »
    fair point i guess but it is hard to tell which are real, i have looked at bichon frise as an example an found none pure bred, all talk bout ikc reg tryin to look good

If they are advertising them as IKC reg, then they should be pure bred, as it should have the details of both parents on the paperwork.

Have you tried getting in touch with the Bichon Frise club of Ireland, to see if they have any members with litters due around the time you would be looking?

ISDW wrote: »
    If they are advertising them as IKC reg, then they should be pure bred, as it should have the details of both parents on the paperwork.

Have you tried getting in touch with the Bichon Frise club of Ireland, to see if they have any members with litters due around the time you would be looking?

true they should be, like i said hard to be sure, but that up to the buyer to do research,

no we havent yet we going on hold in august so have to wait
    but we will be in contact an try an get a pure bred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sparkey76

Does anyone have any information regarding where i could get my hands on a bearded collie? My kids are crazy about them. We are living in Cork but we have no problem travelling, i don't want to get the dog from a pup farm though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

Hi Guys just wanted to let you know that the All Ireland Siberian Husky Club, which is the IKC recognized national breed club for Siberian huskies, now has a website!

http://www.allirelandsiberianhuskyclub.webs.com

So for anyone thinking about getting a husky or looking for info check it out!
    Over time more info etc will be added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 guess

hi i am looking for a standard schnauzer stud dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

Looking for a labrador x , preferably female, under 1 year old, as family pet. Living in Cork. Many thanks in advance.

Similar dog would be considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

guess wrote: »
    hi i am looking for a standard schnauzer stud dog?
    Check IKC reg maybe?
    Fairdues wrote: »
    Looking for a labrador x , preferably female, under 1 year old, as family pet. Living in Cork. Many thanks in advance.
    Check your local SPCAs /shelters as there's probably a chance of a lab cross or a similar dog needing a home. Keep an eye on our rehoming thread in the Animal Welfare subforum too.

Thanks Star-pants. I have looked on the rescue sites and made some enquiries. I'm not in a major hurry so I'll keep looking.

• Advertisement

I appreciate your help though. Thanks again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement