Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Beare75 wrote: »
    After reading your post , checked it out , It was super , all i can say , I thought I was in Italy on a winters day in Dublin. Not just the food, but the atmoshere and the Vino. I 2nd your opinion

And you just HAD to register an account on boards to tell us all!

"I thought I was in Italy on a winters day"

give me a break, if your going to be a shill at least be clever about it

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

Hammertime wrote: »
    And you just HAD to register an account on boards to tell us all!

"I thought I was in Italy on a winters day"

give me a break, if your going to be a shill at least be clever about it

As a regular customer, I can well believe someone would register an account to specifically post about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭banana_plug

dubber wrote: »
    As a regular customer, I can well believe someone would register an account to specifically post about the place.

i would also do that...coz i live arround the corner...guys check it out..its mad good... 6 euro for fresh dish of pasta on lunch time..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭nompere

There's a very enthusiastic write-up in the Irish Times today.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CompanyBureau

This place is an absolute gem. Authentic italian food, friendly and colourful staff and really cheap prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Yama

Have to give them a plug too, very nice people and great food. Take away pizza and pasta and homemade Tiramisu!

Don't order if you expect dominos pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I went for lunch in Dublin on Saturday and myself and another ended up walking through this little walkway a few minutes walk from Jervis Shopping Centre. I know Lemon Jelly and a bean bag shop were down the road from this little alley way of loads of Italian Restuarants. I know this place called "Cafe Italia" and "La Taverna" capped the stretch of restaurants.
    I was in an Italian restaurant that was across from another Italian restaurant with a large painting of the last supper on a wall..

The food was really good and I really enjoyed myself, but due to the insane amount of Italian Restaurants in the small area, I have completely forgotten the name!

If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Lornen wrote: »
    I went for lunch in Dublin on Saturday and myself and another ended up walking through this little walkway a few minutes walk from Jervis Shopping Centre. I know Lemon Jelly and a bean bag shop were down the road from this little alley way of loads of Italian Restuarants. I know this place called "Cafe Italia" and "La Taverna" capped the stretch of restaurants.
    I was in an Italian restaurant that was across from another Italian restaurant with a large painting of the last supper on a wall..

The food was really good and I really enjoyed myself, but due to the insane amount of Italian Restaurants in the small area, I have completely forgotten the name!

If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it. :)

Enoteca Delle Langhe?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

olaola wrote: »
    Enoteca Delle Langhe?

That's it, I knew it was a proper mouthful. Cheers!:)

Ordered from Rasa in Inchicore there last week. It's a restaurant, but they do take-away. They had just a large launch a few weeks ago, so I thought I'd give somewhere local a try. And I love Indian food, so I was excited to try somewhere local hoping that it would be delicious.

EHHHHHHHHH. Wrong, it was terrible.
    We ordered tandoori chicken starter, tandoori prawn starter, lamb korma, paneer saag and the usual rice/naan.
    The chicken starter was dry and rather tasteless. Didn’t really taste like it had been near a tandoor oven. You'd get a better flavour from a griddle.
    The prawn, while HUGE, had an unpleasant odour. All I can say was, of damp old hiking socks. It was also tough as a boot - I could barely get a knife through it. The lamb korma tasted like the lamb had been cooked for days, and thrown into a powdery (I know it's almond, but this was very coarse) fluorescent sweet yellow goo. Unpleasant. The saag paneer was incredibly salty. I didn't know you could get something to taste that salty!!!!

We rang to complain, and to get our money back. There was nothing we could eat. And in fairness, they really did try everything in their power to rectify the situation. They insisted on sending out a new meal and they also refunded the money. They sent us a chicken tikka masala, which tasted like heinz tomato soup. It wasn't unpleasant - just not my thing. They re-issued the prawns and chicken. Which were marginally better, less tough. But the prawns still had a strange odour.

All in all, never again. They seem to have the usual trick of only good reviews on menupages, which I find hard to believe. They seem rather press-releasey too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ate in Augustin's in The Clarion in Cork last night.
    I'd highly recommend this restaurant.
    7 of us there and almost everything was seriously good a few things exceptional.

8 starters, 6 mains, 2 desserts, 6 coffees, 2 bottles of wine for around €46 a head - pretty good value, if you ask me.

Down side:
    the wine list is small and uninteresting
    cannot make an even half way decent espresso, given two chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

The old Central Cafe is now a Chinese restaurant.

We tried it last week and when we look in the window it was dead and very small but we were starvin so we said we'd try it.

We got the buffet which is 4 courses for €12.50. To be honest i wasnt expecting much but I have to say the food was out of this world and we've been back about 3 times in the last week.

If your in Blackrock go try it and you will find a hidden gem

Old Town Cafe Noodle - Camden St. Dublin
    Have been here a few times and have been blown away by the food and the value. it's an authentic Malaysian run place just up from Solas. The noodle dishes and their satay sauces in particular are amazing - most dishes are 5 or 6 euro! take away or eat in - try it - it's savage! anybody else been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Some recent meals out

L. Mulligan Grocer, Stoneybatter. Was underwhelmed by this, which is a pity as they are doing good things there. Will have to return to give them another go. About 6/10.

La Maison, Castlemarket Street. Disappointed by starters, but the whole meal was redeemed by the magnificent beef for the main course. Pricey though. 6/10.

Ananda Indian, Dundrum. Great value lunch menu with top notch Indian cooking. Always a winner for me 9/10

Crackbird, Crane Lane. A temporary restaurant serving fried chicken, with sides and sauces. Very delicious and casual. I'd love to see more restaurants like this in future. 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

dudara wrote: »
    L. Mulligan Grocer, Stoneybatter. Was underwhelmed by this, which is a pity as they are doing good things there. Will have to return to give them another go. About 6/10.

Have eaten here a couple of times and it's never been perfect. Which is a pity because I love the concept behind the menu. Always found one or two things wrong with the meal and/or service. The Irish coffees are pretty amazing though. ;)

There is a place across teh way called Thai Spice which does a great value meal for two. Two starters, two mains and a bottle of wine for 40 yo-yos. Food has been consistently good, though it is on the spicy side. Wine, which I assumed would be undrinkable at that price, went down way too easy. :o

Great review btw. My OH would concede with the pork belly, loved the apple crumble though. Nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Check out the recently opened Delhi Lounge Indian in Rathfarnham. I've been going here for the last 2 months or so and it's been delicious every time. They do take-away and delivery as well but the best value is the sit in special for €13.50. You get a starter, a main, rice and a naan bread, and tea or coffee. It runs Monday to Thursday. It's kind of more upmarket than Bombay Pantry or a typical Indian take away, and reminds me of Jaipur on George's Street without the prices.

Their pork pies served with pickles are really good and only €3.50 a pop.
    (they'd stopped serving food when I got there - other than pork pies).

I'm a sucker for pork pies - that's a good enough reason to give them another go!

A few more reviews from over the past week

Coppinger Row, Dublin 2 - went here with an old group of friends for a boozy meal. Good food, perfect for a group. Buzzing atmosphere and I absolutely loved my main of pan-fried John Dory. A solid 8/10.

Montys Rathgar - A Nepalese restaurant located in Rathgar, D6, which is a sister restaurant to Montys of Kathmandu in Templebar. Interesting alternative to Indian food, with some very good dishes and some OK dishes. Lovely service and atmosphere. Bit on the expensive side. 7/10

I made a return visit to Crackbird over the weekend, courtesy of their tweetseats offer. This time I tried the Super Crispy Soy Garlic Chicken. Amazing stuff - the aroma hits you before you see the chicken and it doesn't disappoint. The burnt lemon and whipped feta sauce is so good. An increased rating to 9/10

diddlybit wrote: »
    Have eaten here a couple of times and it's never been perfect. Which is a pity because I love the concept behind the menu. Always found one or two things wrong with the meal and/or service. The Irish coffees are pretty amazing though. ;)

Yeah, we always experience the same thing. Something is always wrong! I had the mussels last Sat night and they were gritty :( But AMAZING scotch egg though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

We went to Chameleon Indonesian Restaurant on Fownes Street Upper in Temple Bar last weekend. It was really nice...

picture.php?albumid=1409&pictureid=9474

I guess the menu is based on a Dutch restaurant as the dishes are called "Rijst Tafel". They are platter-style dishes and are great because you can choose two different ones and share among each other. I really love this way of doing things! We went for a meat and seafood dish.
    griffdaddy wrote: »
    Check out the recently opened Delhi Lounge Indian in Rathfarnham. I've been going here for the last 2 months or so and it's been delicious every time. They do take-away and delivery as well but the best value is the sit in special for €13.50. You get a starter, a main, rice and a naan bread, and tea or coffee. It runs Monday to Thursday. It's kind of more upmarket than Bombay Pantry or a typical Indian take away, and reminds me of Jaipur on George's Street without the prices.

I think the Delhi Lounge is run by the guy who used to run the Indian Brasserie. I've been threatening to go in there for ages, but haven't gotten around to it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

We went to Chameleon Indonesian Restaurant on Fownes Street Upper in Temple Bar last weekend. It was really nice...

I guess the menu is based on a Dutch restaurant as the dishes are called "Rijst Tafel". They are platter-style dishes and are great because you can choose two different ones and share among each other. I really love this way of doing things! We went for a meat and seafood dish.

First time I went there the food was great, next couple of times it was good. I particularly like their slow cooked pork belly. :pac:

I got to eat there a couple of weeks ago.
    I had the pork belly and I must disagree with you, dudara, about the quality of the pork. The crackling was fantastic and the flavour and quality of the meat was top notch. I didn't think the cooking of it was quite perfect, though. It seemed to not know weather it was slow or quick roast. Sort of fell between the two stools, I thought. Still it was tasty.

Their beer is over priced, though. €5.50 for a Helvic Gold. €5 for the cask offering. Come on guys!!!!!!
    Nice pub, good beer, good food, good staff but I think that €49.20 is too much for 2 mains and 2 1/2 pints of cask ale (one main was a steak but not a huge one).

With some recession busting deals, this would be a fantastic spot.

Tried a new Italian in Cork the other day.
    Now, I've never been impressed with any Italian restaurant I've been to in the past but this place was really, really good.
    It's called Italee and is opposite Milano's on Oliver Plunkett St. and is run by real Italians.

My wife had ravioli - twas fantastic - it came on a bed of puréed artichoke with a red pepper/tomato sauce drizzled over the top. I had food envy. €9.50

Mine was simple gnocchi with pesto and sun dried tomatoes - €8.50. This could have been awful but was in fact really good. The gnocchi wasn't stodgy and the pesto was really fresh and well made.

Coffee was top notch too.

I couldn't recommend this new cafe/wine bar enough.
    I hope they survive - it's a little out of the way and they don't seem to be opening evenings.

We had Sunday Lunch in Kinara Kitchen today in Ranelagh, thanks to a great value voucher from Boards Deals. Full details are on my blog, but in summary it was very good. Strong flavours, great service and a very elegant settings. The curries managed to be both rich and light at the same time. Evening prices are a bit on the steep side, but lunch offers decent value with wraps and thalis. A good 7.5/10.

@Little Alex - Indonesia was a Dutch colony and the Dutch are obsessed with Indonesian food. Rijstaftel restaurants are very common in Holland and are a great way to experience lots of different flavours. I've had good and bad in Amsterdam. When it's good, it's good. I've only eaten in Chameleon once, years ago, so I don't know how it compares now. Would love to give it another whirl sometime.

@the beer revolu I'm glad to hear you had a better experience. I like the whole vibe at L. Mulligan. BTW, that Italian in Cork is on my hitlist for the next visit home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Several posts deleted. We can tell when you're shilling, and dual accounts make it even more obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

My nieces confirmation is on Saturday and she wants to go to a Chinese Restaurant, in fact she wants to go to Jimmy Chongs. Needless to say my sister does not want to go there as they will be all dressed up.

So has anyone any recomendation? A chinese either northside or city restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

My nieces confirmation is on Saturday and she wants to go to a Chinese Restaurant, in fact she wants to go to Jimmy Chongs. Needless to say my sister does not want to go there as they will be all dressed up.

So has anyone any recomendation? A chinese either northside or city restaurant?

Ming Court in Blanch Shopping Centre is nice.

There is also The Good World on Georges St but it is a little dark inside and may not suit the atmosphere you want (if its only a few of you it would be fine).

Theres also New Mellenium beside Stephens Green but it is suppossed to be a little pricey (although heard the most good things about it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gringuita

<shill post snipped>

gringuita wrote: »
    <shill post snipped>

My experience had nothing to do with 'different tastes', the food I received was well and truly inedible by any standard. They did admit that some of the dishes were not up to scratch. So, by their own admission, they did fall down on quality.

I was not impressed with their second offering. Having experience of working in Indian restaurants in London, I can say that this food has been 'dumbed' down too much for my tastes. You'd get a more authentic experience from Marks and Spencers! I shall not be giving them my money again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

gringuita wrote: »
    <snip>

Your post disappeared because coincidentally, you and another new poster both joined boards on the same day to post about your great experiences with the same restaurant. And wouldn't you know it, you both share an IP address. That's what we call shilling. Banned (and soon to be site-banned).

Advertisement