Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Sticky] Gigs/Events in Cork? Post 'em here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

Percussive Counterpoint with Alex Petcu

Friday, 1st June 2012 at 20:00
    Cork School of Music

9a7ff4f7-b87d-403b-b5b0-8ccf06f4ea58_m.jpg

Percussive Counterpoint features the percussionist, Alex Petcu, performing on almost every percussion instrument imaginable including drums, gongs, marimbas, household items, and even his own body, to create a spectacular showcase for percussion. In this concert he will perform solo works by some of the biggest names in New Music such as Steve Reich, Iannis Xenakis and the Irish composer, Donnacha Dennehy.

An Irish musician of Romanian origin, Alex has been making himself known both nationally and internationally, as a solo, chamber and orchestral percussionist of the finest calibre.

He has performed with the R.T.E. Concert Orchestra, worked with the Lucerne Festival Academy under guidance by the legendary, Pierre Boulez, and has given solo recitals at the West Cork Chamber Music festival and Summer Lunchtime Concert Series among others. In 2010 he participated in the Tromp International Percussion Competition, the most prestigious international competition for percussion, where he reached the semi-finals.

Alex is very active in the music scene in Cork. One of his passions is working with composers and championing new music. Last year he set up the Cork New Music Ensemble who have already performed 18 new compositions by local composers, as well as performed other newly composed pieces.

The programme for Percussive counterpoint will consist of the following pieces:

I. Xenakis - Rebonds B
    Improvisation on gongs, temple bowls and crotales
    S. Reich - Electric Counterpoint (arranged for marimba, vibes and tape)
    D. Dennehy - Paddy
    --- inverval ---
    E. Sammut - Variations on Libertango
    M. Glentworth - Blues for Gilbert
    V. Globokar - ?Corporel
    I. Xenakis - Psappha

Tickets available at the door on the night.
    8 euros for one ticket or 10 euros for two so bring a friend!

Not to be missed!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Plebian

Plebian wrote: »
    Join us this Thursday 31st May at 8pm for a showing of "The Viking Way" (2012) ( 50mins )
    460_0___30_0_0_0_0_0_the_viking_way__poster_en__big.jpg
    In 2008, Iceland was confronted with an unprecedented economic disaster. The country's three banks collapsed, dragging to ruin the country's whole social, economic and political life. “The Viking Way”, is a documentary about how Iceland responded very differently to the crisis of the market and capitalism.

Start time is 8pm.

All welcome, entry is Free and donations are appreciated.

related links:
    http://www.smallplanet.gr/en/documentaries/chronologically/2011-2012/305-the-viking-way
    http://www.solidaritybooks.org/events/cinema-night-the-viking-way

Hi all,

Due to unforeseen circumstances, tonight's Cinema night is cancelled and will be rescheduled to a future date.

Apologies,

Solidarity Books

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Radisson Blu, Little Island 11am to 5pm, organised by Mykidstime.ie, FREE ADMISSION

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=374382562610588&set=a.123548517693995.17038.121174467931400&type=1&theater

Hope to see you there :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 dropdmusic

[IMG]https://fbcdn_sphotos_h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/554426_3720410421810_2070961613_n.jpg[/IMG]

DROP-D.IE
    in association with DEMENTED PROMOTIONS presents:

EVERY TIME I DIE

US Hardcore Heroes, with special guests:

FAT ACTRESS

SATURDAY OCTOBER 20TH
    CYPRUS AVENUE, CAROLINE ST, CORK CITY
    TICKETS €18.50 (+ booking fees)

Every Time I Die have never been an easy act to categorize and that's one of the key reasons why the band's fans have never turned their back on this innovative act's unique brand of music. While the band started out in the late '90s hardcore scene, over the past decade they've continued to evolve and push the boundaries of heavy music, a process that's culminating with their sixth full-length Ex Lives.

Recorded by Joe Barresi (Tool, Queens Of The Stone Age) Ex Lives sees the band—vocalist Keith Buckley, guitarists Jordan Buckley and Andy Williams, drummer Ryan Leger—coming together to create the most forward-thinking album of their career.

“Everything about this record was new," Keith explains. "Normally I'm in a comfort zone when I write lyrics because I'm just holed up in my apartment, but this time I was finding little corners of clubs in Europe with [side-project] the Damned Things trying to squeeze in a couple of hours of writing and I think that process really affected the way this album came together."

Keith adds that although Every Time I Die's party vibe has been well-documented in the past,Ex Lives saw the band approaching the album from a more serious perspective. "There's no song like 'We'rewolf' on this album," Keith explains. "I was pretty angry when we were writing these songs which isn't a good spot for a human being but is good if you’re a guy singing in a band," he continues with a laugh. "I was just really angry and disappointed with a lot of things in my life at the time and I think that definitely comes through on a lot of these songs; I was wondering if it was all karma because I was a horrible person in a past life and that's where the album title came from."

From the syncopated chaos of the opening salvo "Underwater Bimbos From Outer Space" to the progressive mosh anthem "A Wild, Shameless Plain" and relentless metal riffage of "The Low Road Has No Exits," Ex Lives sees Every Time I Die further tempering their aggression while also implementing new instrumentation such as banjo (see the sinister intro of "Partying Is Such Sweet Sorrow") and, yes, flute (see the end of "Indian Giver") in order to recontextualize exactly what it means to be a heavy band, which is something that has endeared them to fans for thirteen years.

"I don't think us doing anything different is a surprise to Every Time I Die fans because one of the main reasons why a lot of people have stuck by us for so long is because they know they can expect the unexpected with each release," Keith explains, adding that if you listen close enough you'll take note of plenty of sonic subtleties on Ex Lives. "There are a lot of little weird things that I think people will start noticing more as they listen to the album," he elaborates. "I'd never added any keyboard or synthesizer elements to an Every Time I Die song before so it was a really cool opportunity to expand the sound on this disc."

Similarly Ex Lives also sees Keith pushing his limits on songs like "I Suck (Blood)," which proves how versatile the band's vocalist has become whether he's cathartically screaming or crooning an upper register melody. "On albums like [2007's] The Big Dirty no one heard my vocals until the album was totally done but on this one everyone had their input on what I was doing vocally and they could give me suggestions to improve them," Keith says, adding that this disc was more collaborative for the band. "I think I was also more energetic because I was nervous to sing in front of everyone."

It’s impossible to deny that in an increasingly stagnant musical climate, Every Time I Die are still pushing the limits of their own sound—and Ex Lives is aural evidence that after over a decade together they're anything but complacent. "I had to prove myself 100 percent from the beginning like I did when we put out our first record to show the other guys in Every Time I Die as well as myself that I could do this and I couldn't be happier with the end result," Keith summarizes when asked to describe Ex Lives. "This feels like a new band in a way… it's just its own thing and that feels really, really good."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

There's a couple of events happening from 28th June to 1st July on the Beamish and Crawford site in the city centre.

Some of the events are free including Ham Sandwich (28th June) but you have to register for tickets from the summercarnival.ie site (the ticket section goes live at 4pm today).

Other events include Ryan Sheridan (29 June) and Rubber Bandits (30 June). Tickets for these events are 10 euro each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

irelandvscotland.jpg

Must win match for Ireland, if they're to qualify for Euro 2013. Normal ticket prices are €10 for Adults and €5 for kids/OAPs, but Cork City FC season ticket holders get in for free. There are also plenty of complimentary tickets available at the CCFC club shop in Douglas Village Shopping Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Independence 2012 BOTB - Cyprus Avenue Friday June 22
    4 acts are set to take the stage in Cyprus Avenue to win the last remaining slot at INDIEPENDENCE 2012. The 4 bands that will battle it out are Saint Yorda, Protobaby, Screenreader and Dimitry Datus. Doors on the night are at 9pm and entry is free. There will be a competition on the night to win a pair of VIP Weekend Tickets to INDIEPENDENCE so why not come along and be in with a chance!

All this on top of a bill that already includes 2manydjs, British Sea Power, Feeder, Maverick Sabre, Beardyman, LTJ Bukem, Japanese Popstars, Jape, The Frank & Walters, Scroobius Pip and many more . . . .

This isn't an event as such but didn't know where else to post this.

The old Kino cinema on Washington Street is being turned in to an all-ages music venue. It's hoped that it will open sometime in August.

I've no involvement with this but I think it's a great venture and wish something like this was around when I was growing up.

Anyways, feel free to head along to their facebook page to give it a like and show support: https://www.facebook.com/thekinomusic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bride_ofChucky

derbybaby.jpg

On June 30th 2012, Cork City Firebirds celebrate our first birthday. With eight bouts behind us over the past 12 months, we want to celebrate what we've achieved, and look forward to a year of bigger bouts, new members, and bringing roller derby in Cork to a whole new level!

To celebrate, we have a very special evening planned - including the European premiere of the new roller derby documentary, Derby, Baby! This landmark feature by Emmy Award-winning filmmakers Robin Bond and Dave Wruck, narrated by Juliette Lewis, shows the explosive international development of flat-track roller derby - including interviews with its stars, and footage from the 2011 Roller Derby World Cup.

As well as the movie screening, you can also see a mini-exhibition of photos and posters from Firebirds first year in action, as well as a short video review of the year which will be screened before the film. We will have brand new official Firebirds merchandise on sale, and a chance to win a merch-pack and other prizes. Your support at our prize draw and merch stall helps keep us rolling!

It all takes place at the beautiful old bar in the Everyman Palace Theatre, on MacCurtain St., Cork.

Dress code is black tie - but in derby tradition, feel free to put your own stamp on it...

Tickets are 10 euro (ticketing info to follow)

Schedule

7.30pm : Champagne Reception & Firebirds Exhibition

8.30pm : Derby, Baby! screening

10.30pm : Music, dancing, and post-movie chats!

12.30 : You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here.... ;-)

Facebook event page: http://www.facebook.com/events/370804376318398/
    Cork City Firebirds: http://www.facebook.com/corkcityfirebirds

This Saturday July 7th, at 5pm Solidarity Books will host the Cork segment of a European speaking tour with Antti Rautiainen, a Finnish Anarchist from Moscow who will talk about the anarchist movement in Russia, its successes and failures. Antti Rautiainen lived in Moscow for 13 years, participating in anarchist activities. His residence permit was revoked in March of this year, allegedly because he "called for a violent overthrow of constitutional order, or otherwise endangered the safety of Russian Federation or its citizens".
    460_0___30_0_0_0_0_0_finnish_anarchist_cork_thumb.jpg
    He is member of Autonomous Action and the Anarchist Black Cross of Moscow.
    The anarchist movement in Moscow has faced huge challenges in this period, we strongly encourage you to come along and hear Antti's first hand account of these experiences.

http://avtonom.org/en/news/antti-rautiainen-denied-russian-visa-request

http://www.solidaritybooks.org/events/a-finnish-anarchist-speaks

• Advertisement

Cinema night – Thursday, July 19, 8pm, 'Paradise Now' @solidaritybooks

Join us this Thursday, July 19, 8pm, for a showing of 'Paradise Now' ( 2005 dir. Hany Abu-Assad 90mins ) Presented by the Ireland Palestine Solidarity Group
    460_0___30_0_0_0_0_0__40133458_plamglotis300.jpg
    "Paradise Now" is the story of what may be the last 48 hours in the lives of two Palestinian men - friends since childhood - who have been recruited as suicide bombers. When they are intercepted at the Israeli border and separated from their handlers, a young woman who discovers their plan causes them to reconsider their actions. But with pressure mounting, time running out, and passions running high...there's no way to know which way they will go.

Start time is 8pm.

related links:
    http://www.solidaritybooks.org/events/paradise-now

Join us this Thursday ( tonight !), July 19, 8pm, for a showing of 'The Time That Remains' ( 2009 dir. Elia Suleiman 109mins ) Presented by the Ireland Palestine Solidarity Group

THE TIME THAT REMAINS

the_time_that_remains.jpg
    In four episodes, the director ( Elia Suleiman) recounts family stories inspired by his father’s private diaries starting from when he was a resistance fighter in 1948, and his mother’s letters to family members who were forced to leave the country during the same period. In addition, Suleiman also combines his own memories in an attempt to provide a portrait of the daily life of the Palestinians who were labeled "Israeli-Arabs" after they chose to remain in their country and become a minority.

Start time is 8pm.

related links:
    http://www.solidaritybooks.org/events/the-time-that-remains

"The Fever" is on tonight, 7:30 in the old FAS building. (starts 8pm sharp) Recommended stuff!

see review below from NY Times
    http://theater.nytimes.com/2007/01/30/theater/reviews/30feve.html

"“The Fever” offers an intimate tour of the tortured consciousness of an angst-ridden, well-to-do American, but Mr. Shawn’s real goal is to hold an unflattering mirror up to his well-meaning, liberally inclined audience. It’s sort of like Joseph Conrad’s “Heart of Darkness,” with you, dear viewer, cast in the distasteful role of Kurtz."

@ The Workshop Theatre, Sample Studios (old FAS Tonight building), Sullivan's Quay
Tickets €8/€5 waged/low-waged or unwaged.
 Also, this is a fundraiser for your local solidarity books. only 5 euros for unwaged 8 euros waged!

Marx in Soho (Howard Zinn) is on tonight, 7:30 in the old FAS building. (starts 8pm sharp)

http://www.levyarts.com/html/reviews_of_marx_in_soho.html
    "Levy's Marx is old and plagued with boils but his mind is as sharp as a tack. He describes how he and his family struggled against extreme poverty, experiencing the ravages of capitalism first hand. Three of his five children fail to survive the harsh conditions of their life in Soho. He is a loving father and husband. He is a good and true friend of all who struggle, even when he disagrees with them on some basic point. He is intolerant of those that make his life's work a fetish and condemns those who have, "put their own comrades against a wall and shot them" under the guise of communism. But he never strays from his basic premise that capitalism is the root cause of human suffering, then and now, and has to go. "

@ The Workshop Theatre, Sample Studios (old FAS Tonight building), Sullivan's Quay
Tickets €8/€5 waged/low-waged or unwaged.
 Also, this is a fundraiser for your local solidarity books. only 5 euros for unwaged 8 euros waged!

Franzwithinferno.jpg

DROP-D.IE PRESENTS

FRANZ NICOLAY
    + PETE MAC PARADOX

THIS TUESDAY, AUGUST 7TH
    CYPRUS AVENUE **NOTE VENUE CHANGE**
    €5 AT THE DOOR, €4 WITH INDIEPENDENCE/LISSARD TICKET

The perfect post-festival cure! And cheap in with your ticket!

"One of today's master singer/songwriters and musicians." - Philadelphia Examiner

"A performer with a real streak of genius." - Maverick Magazine

"Nicolay's skill at playing punk sage on one song and slightly troubled troubadour on the next is really something special." - Pitchfork

"Recasting the windswept folk artist as someone with piratical swagger…like Nick Cave leading an American Pogues," - Q Magazine

Franz Nicolay is that multi-instrumentalist and man-about-town, peddling a modern vaudeville with full-throated songs and stories shamelessly strident, stentorian and more than a little sentimental. He's been a member of cabaret-punk circus World/Inferno Friendship Society, world's best bar band The Hold Steady, gypsy-klezmer carnies Guignol, outlaw orchestra Anti-Social Music, and agit-punks Against Me!; and performed or recorded with everyone from Leftover Crack to Bruce Springsteen. He has been a contributor to magazines from Blender to Impose, is a regular columnist for the literary journal InDigest, and has released several collections of essays. His first story collection, ‘Complicated Gardening Techniques’, was published by Julius Singer Press in 2009.

Nicolay has been hailed as a charismatic "born performer," "a storyteller and entertainer in the cabaret and vaudevillian tradition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Gig+poster.jpg

The G-Man presents... A Low Trees promotion

Yawning Chasm, North Side Drive & Rory Francis O'Brien

The Roundy, 1 Castle Street (Cork)
    Friday 17th August
    Doors at 9pm - first band at 9.30pm
    €6

Following a successful first outing (and melodically magical sets from both little xs for eyes and The David Nelligan Thing), the second The G-Man Presents... promotion returns to The Roundy on Castle Street for an evening of wonderful original music. Pairing local bands, songwriters and composers with their national and international peers, these evenings are soundtracked by the various artists that have featured prominently on Cork-based alternative music blog www.thegmanworld.com.

***************************************************************************************
    Yawning Chasm

Yawning Chasm is a three piece from Galway, Ireland centred around songwriter and singer Aaron Coyne, who has operated under the name since the early 2000's. Coyne was joined in 2011 by Declan Kelly who provided live keyboards and guitar and in 2012 by Jimmy Monaghan on drums.

Having wowed all in attendance as support for Mike Gangloff in Plugd Records as part of a Black Sun bill back in March, experimental Galwegian folkies Yawning Chasm return to Leeside with beautifully dark new EP Butterfly and Crab in tow. What Red House Painters would have sounded like if had found themselves lost in a deep, dank, dark cave. Download all of Yawning Chasm's back catalogue for FREE from their official bandcamp here: yawningchasm.bandcamp.com

Links to videos:

Official 'Whispered Sun' - www.youtube.com/watch?v=O14Abd1IDV8

Live in Plugd Records - www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-xFSod3FFs

Gratuitous quote binge:

"It’s no secret they are one of my favourite Irish bands and are incredible live."
    Aoife Barry - Sweet Oblivion

"Yawning Chasm’s beautiful lyrics and shimmering melodies will leave you in quiet awe"
    Vicky Langan - Black Sun

"Something gorgeous this way comes."
    Nay McArdle - Harmless Noise

For more info visit yawningchasm.bandcamp.com // www.facebook.com/yawningchasm

***************************************************************************************
    North Side Drive

Electro-classical instrumentalists North Side Drive are set to provide a serious slice of class to proceedings in The Roundy in August as local rockers Former Monarchs' vocalist/pianist/drummer Jonathan Pearson performs tracks from his recently released debut EP. Expect lavish strings accompanied by electronic beats. To stream/download music from North Side Drive visit northsidedrive.bandcamp.com.
    Links to videos:

'Wolves' (Bon Iver cover) - www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSmYHU94yUU

"Eerie, evocative, graceful piano and strings from Former Monarchs’ drummer Jonathan Pearson which will remind you of the minimalist panache of Hauschka and Nils Frahm."
    Jim Carroll - Irish Times

For more info visit northsidedrive.bandcamp.com // www.facebook.com/NorthSideDrive

Rory Francis O'Brien

Better known for intricate guitar work as one third of incendiary bog-rockers Ten Past Seven, Rory Francis O'Brien's solo work with innovative guitarist James Fortune (19th Light) has taken on a life of its own, the blues-folk workings evolving organically over the past 18 months.

Links to videos:

Live at Black Sun, Cork - www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOn9qZnT0Zo

Live at Black Sun, Cork - www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPAHRrC2F-I

For more info visit www.myspace.com/roryfrancisobrien

- Yawning Chasm, North Side Drive & Rory Francis O'Brien play The Roundy on Friday, 17th August.
    - Tickets are priced at €6 and available to purchase at the door.

Click here to RSVP to the Facebook event

All queries, interview requests etc. to info@thegmanworld.com

*************************************************************************************

www.thegmanworld.com // www.facebook.com/thegmanblog // www.facebook.com/LowTrees

Taking in some of the most headland beautiful walks in Ireland, and also Ire
    land's only Cable-Car!

So, the plan for the Hike is as follows:

Sat 25th 9am:
    Leave Cork Opera House. That day's walk will be on the Sheep's Head, from Kilcrohane to the end of the Peninsula and back.

Camping on Saturday night for those who want to stay and do both walks; back to Cork for people just have Saturday available.

Sunday 26th 9am: Leave Cork Opera House. Sunday's walk will take in Garinish at the end of the Beara peninsula, then take the only cable-car in Ireland to do the loop of Dursey Island! This is a great spot for Whale and Dolphin watching, so fingers crossed! Back to Cork for everyone on Sunday eve.

If you can make both of the days, nice one - if you canonly make one of the days, that's cool too :). And Sponsorship Cards are available from Solidarity Books - please take one.

So get yer friends, get yer mam, and get your good self sorted, and let's head for West Cork!

460_0___30_0_0_0_0_0_sheepshead.jpg

related links
    http://www.solidaritybooks.org/events/solidarity-books-fundraising-hike
    http://www.bearatourism.com/bwdursey.html

BUMP for Franz Nicolay, he's on tonight! Doors 9pm.

https://www.facebook.com/events/402775903112216/

hhpdposter.jpg

Hidden Highways & Peter Delaney in the Half Moon on Saturday.

Absolutely love the EP and featured a track on my first Curious Broadcast podcast (listen here).

Noise also quoting the gig as a "don't miss" and seeing as the duo are on Out On A Limb they are surely really good live too.

Listen to Hidden Highways on bandcamp below:

http://hiddenhighways.bandcamp.com/

Win tickets to the gig over on the blog here.

383901_4008076853291_1697765573_n.jpg

DROP-D.IE in association with Stage Door Entertainment presents:

WARRIOR SOUL
    www.kory-clarke.com

TWISTED WRATH
    +1 TBC

CYPRUS AVENUE, CAROLINE ST.
    MONDAY SEPTEMBER 14TH – DOORS 9PM

TICKETS 15 EURO

ON SALE NOW FROM VENUE, PLUGD RECORDS, TICKETMASTER, TICKETS.IE and ENTERTAINMENT.IE

For the first time ever, hard rock legends Warrior Soul hit Cork City!

Warrior Soul is an American hard rock band formed in 1987 by lead singer and producer Kory Clarke. Clarke started the band on a bet from a promoter at New York City’s Pyramid Club, after a solo performance art show called ‘Kory Clarke/Warrior Soul’. Clarke boasted he would have the best rock band in the city within six months. Nine months later he signed to Geffen Records for a million dollars.

The term “Acid Punk” was coined by Clarke to explain the hard driving trippy sound that was Warrior Soul, particularly the Space Age Playboys album, mixed by Ben Gross. The style once again predicted what was going to break on the American and International rock music scene with the success of Green Day and The Offspring.

The critical acclaim that accompanied the band translated to record sales in Europe but there was not enough push or touring to break in the USA. Despite recognition by peers, including Lars Ulrich from Metallica who had been quoted as saying Space Age Playboys was his favorite album, Warrior Soul disbanded in 1995.

In 1996, Odds & Ends was released as a posthumous collection of demos and left material that were to be part of a major label record (Elektra, Nancy Jeffries) that got squashed by Peter Mensch at Q-Prime management. Clarke took 2 years off after disbanding “The Playboys” and moved back to New York, and wrote & released on Cargo Records his spoken word solo album Opium Hotel in 2004. Soon after Clarke was tapped to be the lead singer of Dirty Rig and coproduced their album for Escapi Records in 2006.

Following the re-release of the band’s first five albums in 2006, Clarke reformed Warrior Soul for a UK tour in March 2007, using long time musician friends from England and Sweden. A live album resulted from a subsequent UK tour in October of that year.

The band released a limited edition studio album titled Chinese Democracy in October 2008, just a month before the Guns ‘n’ Roses album of the same name was due for release. The band shortly re-named the album Destroy the War Machine and began to print more copies.

In 2008, the band played the second incarnation of Hard Rock Hell, in North Wales, with the large room over capacity when the band played, rendering the opposing Hawkwind show on the next stage virtually unattended. Kerrang! magazine reviewed the show as KKKKK (5 Ks). December 2008, also saw the band return to large indoor stages, with shows at the Shepherds Bush Empire, London, and the Academy, Glasgow.

In 2009, the band saw re-issues of the classic Warrior Soul work on vinyl, and a European tour to support the release of Destroy the War Machine. Warrior Soul toured the UK with The I See.

2012 has so far seen the band play in Slovenia & Wacken Festival. Before they tour both the UK & Europe from September onwards, this Irish tour will be in support of the band’s new album that will be released in September, and will see them take in Belfast, Dublin, and for the first time, Cork City.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bride_ofChucky

Sept_Bout_Poster_Low.jpg

The first annual MUNSTER MASH is coming to Cork on Sunday September 23rd!

Facebook event page: http://www.facebook.com/events/355671511181903/

Brought to you by Cork City Firebirds, Limerick Roller Girls, and Waterford City Viqueens, this is a showcase of full-contact, full-tilt, flat-track roller derby!
    If you haven't seen a bout yet, this is your chance! Taking place at the wonderful Neptune Stadium in Cork city, you can find out what the sport is all about, talk to our skaters, rock along to the DJ, and enjoy a full length roller derby game with the best skaters in Munster!

So who are the teams?
    Well we've pooled the top derby skaters in Munster - from Cork, Limerick, and Waterford - to form two new teams for this special occassion: MUNSTER MAYHEM -vs- SOUTHERN SLAYERS!

Doors open at 5pm on Sunday 23rd. Come along and check out our merch stalls, food and coffee, and soak up the atmosphere before the first whistle!

Game starts: 6pm sharp

Tickets:
    Only 5 euro per person! Special price *just* for the Munster Mash!
    A Family Pass (2 adults & 3 children under 16) is 20 euro

Tickets will be available from Plugd Records in Cork, and also at the door on game day.

AFTERPARTY!
    After the game, follow us down to the Crane Lane Theatre, where we'll be kicking off our afterparty at 8pm! More music, more derby, more fun! Over 18's only, and admission is FREE!

The 2012 Munster Mash is hosted by Cork City Firebirds.

Follow your Munster teams on Facebook!
    Cork City Firebirds http://www.facebook.com/corkcityfirebirds
    Limerick Roller Derby https://www.facebook.com/LimerickRollerGirls
    Waterford City Viqueens https://www.facebook.com/waterfordcityviqueens

3336461148-1.jpg

WHO DARES WINS: CORK ROCK CITY VOL. 3

88 tracks of freshly-squeezed Cork music of all genres.

It's that time of the year again.

As the city comes together, college starts again, the run-up to the Jazz begins, Culture Night lays around the corner and the Sonic Vigil isn't far away either. You get a feel for the life and vibrancy that only Cork's indigenous music scene can generate on any night of the week.

Growing and expanding in every direction, our music community lives on every street, in a growing number of practice spaces, it breathes and roars in its venues, traditional or non-traditional. It's a place where originality, integrity and community spirit thrives, and where old faces co-exist and assist the new. Events like the Jazz, Sonic Vigil, the Avant, Cork Folk Festival, and the runaway success of Indiependence are the building blocks of a thriving live scene that betters itself every night.

And this is the document.

Featuring a vast array of bands and artists from all over Cork's magnificent genre spectrum, Who Dares Wins endeavours to be the biggest, most in-depth record of the Cork scene's movements yet. Co-compiled this year by Cork blogs Drop-d.ie and Cork City Sounds, with help from blogger The G-Man, the compilation aims to showcase to the world in one place what makes Cork music what it is, from its always rudely healthy and acerbic metal and hardcore scene, to its cutting edge noise and sound-art fringe, from its nascent folk scene to its renewed electronic underground.

Cork music has never been stronger. Get into it.

Releases: Today through Drop-d.ie as a free download.

Launch gig: Tomorrow night, Saturday September 15th @ Cyprus Avenue, with Terror Pop, Versives, Trumpets of Jericho, The Karman Line and iProv.

http://drop-d.bandcamp.com/album/who-dares-wins-cork-rock-city-volume-3

Poster+lo+res.jpg

Hello Moon & The Great Balloon Race

Friday 5th October
    €6

Following two successful outings, The G-Man Presents... showcase returns to The Roundy on Castle Street for another night of incredible alternative music. Adding to superb sets from little xs for eyes, The David Nelligan Thing, Yawning Chasm, North Side Drive and Rory Francis O'Brien the October edition of The G-Man Presents...will be no different. Pairing local bands, songwriters and composers with their national and international peers, these evenings are soundtracked by the various artists that have featured prominently on Cork-based alternative music blog www.thegmanworld.com.

Hello Moon

Hello Moon formed in Dublin in January 2010 and - with a love of chiming, jangly pop songs - began to write a collection of their own. Playing regularly in the capital and with a handful of shows around Ireland Alan, Eamon, Amanda and Alan have been lucky and thrilled to have opened for internationally renowned bands such as Teenage Fanclub, Cloud Control and Lower Dens. In June 2011 Hello Moon contributed the song ‘Barefoot’ to the Irish, charmingly bockety, indie collective Popical Island Compilation#2. Their superb debut album, Only Count the Sunny Hours, was released in September 2011 and is available on Any Other City Records. Having played Whelan's Ones to Watch 2012 back in January, begun work on their second record and set to feature at Hard Working Class Heroes - not to mention the fact that 'New Day' appeared on the soundtrack for Hollywood's Seeking a Friend For the End of the World starring Steve Carell & Keira Knightley - 2012 will have been quite a progressive year for Hello Moon.

Official 'Sievehead' video - www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3BAMRcmIjs

Record Store Gay contributions - recordstoregay.bandcamp.com/album/i-feel-love

Gratuitous quote binge:

"Hello Moon blend pretty, sturdy pop ( Measure of Me ) and elegant, precise rhythms ( Sievehead ) with innately smart arrangements ( What’s the Use of Falling in Love? ). All of the above chimes and charms in equal measure...."
    The Irish Times

"We liked them when they were called The Tender Trap but it's likely we'll heart them even more as Hello Moon. Dublin really needs a decent indie pop band and our hopes are pinned on this lot....More please."
    MP3 Hugger

"Their chilled out indie sound is stunning."
    Peter Nagle - 2 U IBestow

"Though hook laden and chirpy, it's far from throwaway, with each of the tracks also encapsulating enough intelligence and substance to demand repeated listens. As you bop your head to 'The Calculus Affair' for the umpteenth time you'll get the picture..."
    Stop The Lights

For more info visit hellomoon.bandcamp.com // www.facebook.com/Hello-moon

The Great Balloon Race

The Great Balloon Race is a five-piece band based in Cork city. They formed their first line-up in 2009 with influences ranging from folk to psychedelic to jazz. They released their first EP in June 2011 and are currently in the process of mastering their debut album.

“A spoonful of gypsy folk, a dash of pyschadelia and a nice big dollop of jazz”
    connector.tv

“Eerie keyboard swells, and odd-yet-catchy vocal melodies that sound as though these musicians are very familiar with the more outrageous Real Book Standards”
    bananastatic.com

For more info visit thegreatballoonrace.bandcamp.com // www.facebook.com/thegreatballoonrace

- Hello Moon & The Great Balloon Race play The Roundy on Friday, 5th October.
    - See both artists bandcamp pages for FREE DOWNLOADS

Hi-res photos also available

*************************************************************************************

www.thegmanworld.com // www.facebook.com/thegmanblog // www.facebook.com/LowTrees

Think you forgot the facebook event link! Here it is in case anyone's interested..

https://www.facebook.com/events/263341013781666/

Splainc wrote: »
    Poster+lo+res.jpg

Hello Moon & The Great Balloon Race

Friday 5th October
    €6

Following two successful outings, The G-Man Presents... showcase returns to The Roundy on Castle Street for another night of incredible alternative music. Adding to superb sets from little xs for eyes, The David Nelligan Thing, Yawning Chasm, North Side Drive and Rory Francis O'Brien the October edition of The G-Man Presents...will be no different. Pairing local bands, songwriters and composers with their national and international peers, these evenings are soundtracked by the various artists that have featured prominently on Cork-based alternative music blog www.thegmanworld.com.

Hello Moon

Hello Moon formed in Dublin in January 2010 and - with a love of chiming, jangly pop songs - began to write a collection of their own. Playing regularly in the capital and with a handful of shows around Ireland Alan, Eamon, Amanda and Alan have been lucky and thrilled to have opened for internationally renowned bands such as Teenage Fanclub, Cloud Control and Lower Dens. In June 2011 Hello Moon contributed the song ‘Barefoot’ to the Irish, charmingly bockety, indie collective Popical Island Compilation#2. Their superb debut album, Only Count the Sunny Hours, was released in September 2011 and is available on Any Other City Records. Having played Whelan's Ones to Watch 2012 back in January, begun work on their second record and set to feature at Hard Working Class Heroes - not to mention the fact that 'New Day' appeared on the soundtrack for Hollywood's Seeking a Friend For the End of the World starring Steve Carell & Keira Knightley - 2012 will have been quite a progressive year for Hello Moon.

Official 'Sievehead' video - www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3BAMRcmIjs

Record Store Gay contributions - recordstoregay.bandcamp.com/album/i-feel-love

Gratuitous quote binge:

"Hello Moon blend pretty, sturdy pop ( Measure of Me ) and elegant, precise rhythms ( Sievehead ) with innately smart arrangements ( What’s the Use of Falling in Love? ). All of the above chimes and charms in equal measure...."
    The Irish Times

"We liked them when they were called The Tender Trap but it's likely we'll heart them even more as Hello Moon. Dublin really needs a decent indie pop band and our hopes are pinned on this lot....More please."
    MP3 Hugger

"Their chilled out indie sound is stunning."
    Peter Nagle - 2 U IBestow

"Though hook laden and chirpy, it's far from throwaway, with each of the tracks also encapsulating enough intelligence and substance to demand repeated listens. As you bop your head to 'The Calculus Affair' for the umpteenth time you'll get the picture..."
    Stop The Lights

For more info visit hellomoon.bandcamp.com // www.facebook.com/Hello-moon

The Great Balloon Race

The Great Balloon Race is a five-piece band based in Cork city. They formed their first line-up in 2009 with influences ranging from folk to psychedelic to jazz. They released their first EP in June 2011 and are currently in the process of mastering their debut album.

“A spoonful of gypsy folk, a dash of pyschadelia and a nice big dollop of jazz”
    connector.tv

“Eerie keyboard swells, and odd-yet-catchy vocal melodies that sound as though these musicians are very familiar with the more outrageous Real Book Standards”
    bananastatic.com

For more info visit thegreatballoonrace.bandcamp.com // www.facebook.com/thegreatballoonrace

- Hello Moon & The Great Balloon Race play The Roundy on Friday, 5th October.
    - See both artists bandcamp pages for FREE DOWNLOADS

Hi-res photos also available

Pub Table Quiz in Aid of Cork Animal Care Society

The 3rd of October at 8.00pm Sharp
    The Quayside Bar Victoria Road
    Table of 4 €20

Should be a great night. Finger Food and Raffle on the Night.

Please come along to support a great cause!!

Will Post Again Closer to the Date

Milly33 wrote: »
    Pub Table Quiz in Aid of Cork Animal Care Society

The 3rd of October at 8.00pm Sharp
    The Quayside Bar Victoria Road
    Table of 4 €20

Should be a great night. Finger Food and Raffle on the Night.

Please come along to support a great cause!!

Will Post Again Closer to the Date

Just a reminder although I See tis the last post anyway but come along for a fun night

*Veg Out Cafe*

Delicious Vegan food (..not just for Vegans!), at the Veg Out Cafe every Tuesday from 7pm in Solidarity Books, 43 Douglas Street (across from Fionn Barra's)

Suggested donation appreciated: 5 euro - all welcome!

Thanks for all your support and hunger - Solidarity, good food and even better conversation

All the Veg Out team!
    vegout_2.jpg

http://www.solidaritybooks.org/events/veg-out-every-Tuesday

Join us on Wednesday 17th October, 8pm, for a showing of "Life in a Day" (2011)

Film description follows

"Life in a Day" (2011)
    lifeinaday.jpg
    "A documentary shot by filmmakers all over the world that serves as a time capsule to show future generations what it was like to be alive
    on the 24th of July, 2011. Amongst the 19 directors who put the film
    together is Kevin Macdonald ("Last King of Scotland", "Touching the
    Void")."

Start time is 8pm.

related links:
    http://www.solidaritybooks.org/events/cinema-night-life-in-a-day

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ccartlink

Cork Community Art Link invites you to dress up, get spooky and walk with Ireland’s last Dragon through the historic streets of Shandon, Cork at the 7th Dragon of Shandon Samhain Parade this Halloween Night.
    www.dragonofshandon.com
    The 2012 evening parade of spooks and ghouls sees hundreds of costumed zombies, and monsters take to the streets of Cork on Halloween night. This year the Shandon Footbridge will be transformed into a skeletal ribcage and the 36 foot sellotape Dragon of Shandon returns to be joined on the night by a host of brightly illuminated skeleton puppets, large floats, lanterns and musicians.

The Dragon of Shandon Samhain Parade is a fun family event and one of Ireland’s largest street celebrations of the Irish tradition of Samhain. The annual Leeside Halloween street parade is the result of an extensive community outreach programme and collaboration with artists that takes place across Cork city each year.

As part of our community outreach programme participating groups in this year’s parade include: Shandon Cairde Youth Club, Blarney Street Youth groups, Buttera (Butter Exchange Brass Band), Naomhoga Chorcai, Cope Foundation, North Mon and St Vincent's School Completion Programme, Gurranabraher Youth Development Centre, St. Kevin's After School Program, Middle Parish Youth Club, The Life Centre, St. Marks School the Glen, CIT Carnival Samba, St. Vincent de Paul Right Track Programme, Cork Pride Parade and CCAL Drama Group

The 7th Dragon of Shandon Parade will depart the Shandon Butter Exchange Building Wednesday 31st October at 7:00pm, turns down John Redmond St, Mulgrave Road, along Popes Quay, up Shandon St, Church St returning to the Craft centre for an outdoor Monsters Ball.

The 7th Dragon of Shandon Parade takes place Wednesday the 31st of October at 7pm.

For more information and how to get involved go to www.dragonofshandon.com

• Advertisement

Join us next Wednesday 24th October, 8pm, for a showing of 'Live! Nude Girls, Unite!' ( 2005 dir. Vicky Funari, Julia Query ).

livenude.jpg
    Film description follows"

"Documentary look at the 1996-97 effort of the dancers and support
    staff at a San Francisco peep show, The Lusty Lady, to unionize.
    Angered by arbitrary and race-based wage policies, customers'
    surreptitious video cameras, and no paid sick days or holidays, the
    dancers get help from the Service Employees International local and
    enter protracted bargaining with the union-busting law firm that
    management hires. We see the women work, sort out their demands, and
    go through the difficulties of bargaining. The narrator is Julia
    Query, a dancer and stand-up comedian who is reluctant to tell her
    mother, a physician who works with prostitutes, that she strips."

Start time is 8pm.

related links:
    http://www.solidaritybooks.org/events/cinema-night-live-nude-girls-unite

Advertisement