Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Sticky] Gigs/Events in Cork? Post 'em here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Owen wrote: »
    Was good to meet you the last time Elbow! Looking forward to playing now, only a few days away.

Haven't been out properly since so i'm looking forward 2 it myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭rebelwoman

Right lads is this a gig that would appeal to a young one in her 40's or is it more for 20 year olds??;)

rebelwoman wrote: »
    Right lads is this a gig that would appeal to a young one in her 40's or is it more for 20 year olds??;)

There was the "usual" de Barras crowd in the last night the lads played anyway :D

* (Twenty's to sixty's and everything in between)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Plebian

Talk by Gerry Condon of U.S. Veterans For Peace this Thurs Nov 17 @ 8pm

460_0___30_0_0_0_0_0_gerrycondon2_thumb.jpg

Gerry Condon of U.S. Veterans For Peace will be speaking
    this Thursday Nov 17 at 8 p.m.
    at Solidarity Books, 43 Douglas St, Cork.

As always, admission is free, donations appreciated.

http://www.solidaritybooks.org/events/gerry-condon-USVeterans-For-Peace

Below is some background info about Gerry, who was in the U.S. Army Special Forces when he first started to speak out against militarism, in 1968, during the Vietnam war.

Last Sunday he and his partner, Helen Jaccard, joined the monthly vigil at Shannon airport as part of “an international effort to stop US militarism and restore neutrality to Ireland”.

* For interviews with Gerry Condon:
    phone 086 7207475, email projectsafehaven@hotmail.com

* For further information on Shannon,

see www.shannonwatch.org or email shannonwatch@gmail.com.

BACKGROUND:
    Gerry Condon is a longtime U.S. antiwar activist and writer who works closely with active duty GI’s and military veterans. In 1968, while in the U.S. Army Special Forces, Gerry began to speak out against the Vietnam War and to refuse all military orders. The U.S. Army then ordered him to deploy to Vietnam and Gerry refused. Condon was court-martialed and sentenced to ten years in prison and a Dishonorable Discharge. But he escaped from Fort Bragg, North Carolina and from the United States, initially going to Montreal, Quebec and then heading to Europe. Gerry lived in West Germany for six months in 1969, while traveling all around Europe, finally receiving “humanitarian asylum” in Sweden.

In early 1970 he joined the American Deserters Committee (ADC) in Stockholm, and helped to produce their newsletter, The Paper Grenade. He traveled around Europe as a liaison for the Stockholm exiles, meeting with American deserters and draft resisters in Paris and London, as well as with European activists who were assisting GI resisters in Germany, the Netherlands and Denmark. Gerry represented the American Deserters Committee at the Stockholm International Conference to End the War in Vietnam and at the Paris International Conference on Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

He met several times with representatives of the Vietnamese liberation struggle.In 1972, Gerry moved to Canada, where he worked with the AMEX-Canada (American exile) collective in Toronto, which called for an end to the U.S. war in Southeast Asia and spearheaded a campaign for amnesty for all U.S. war resisters. In 1975, Gerry returned to the United States in a challenge to President Ford’s unconditional pardon of Richard Nixon and his punitive “clemency program” for U.S. war resisters. At the risk of arrest, he embarked on a five month speaking tour that took him to 50 U.S. cities.

By this time most Americans were opposed to the Vietnam War and there was widespread support for amnesty for those who had refused to participate in that illegal war. To avoid public embarrassment, the White House ordered that Condon should not be arrested, and his jail sentence was dropped. Gerry has been a peace and solidarity activist ever since. In 1983-84, Condon organized the first two delegations of U.S. military veterans to revolutionary Nicaragua.

He served as director of the Veterans Peace Action Teams, which worked in the war zones of Nicaragua, rebuilding schools and medical clinics that had been destroyed by the U.S.-backed “Contras.” And he was a national coordinator of the Veterans Peace Convoy to Nicaragua in 1987. In the 1990’s, Gerry worked with Pastors For Peace to organize humanitarian aid caravans to Central America and Cuba, challenging U.S. policy throughout Latin America.In 2004, Gerry returned to Canada to work with another generation of U.S. war resisters, who were seeking asylum in Canada rather than being re-deployed to the U.S. war on the people of Iraq.

He worked closely with the War Resisters Support Campaign in Canada and he founded Project Safe Haven, a network of former war resisters who are supporting war resisters today. Gerry is co-chair of the GI Resistance Working Group of Veterans For Peace, a national organization with chapters in over 100 U.S. cities. He works closely with Iraq Veterans Against the War and the Coffee Strong GI Coffeehouse outside of Fort Lewis, Washington, one of the largest Army bases in the United States. Gerry also serves on the Steering Committee of the Bradley Manning Support Network, www.bradleymanning.org.

Bradley Manning, the accused Wikileaks whistle blower, is seen as a primary GI resister of this era. In a recent article in On Watch, the newsletter of the Military Law Task Force of the National Lawyers Guild, Gerry Condon wrote that it is time to consider building a movement for amnesty for all war resisters, while bringing more legal, political and material resources to support GI resisters. Gerry Condon will be traveling throughout Europe for several months beginning in September 2011. He hopes to meet with GI resisters, their European supporters, and with peace and justice activists throughout the region. He will be in Europe primarily to learn and to enjoy good times with friends – old and new. But he will also welcome opportunities to participate in public meetings or media interviews. On September 3-5, Gerry Condon and his partner Helen Jaccard will be in Bonn, Germany to represent Veterans For Peace at the United Nations NGO Conference on building sustainable communities.

For the remainder of September, they plan to travel to England, Ireland and Scandinavia. They plan - roughly - to spend October in Germany, November in Italy, December in Greece, January in Turkey, and February traveling back across Europe before returning to the U.S. in early March.They will be backpacking, traveling by bus, and staying in public campgrounds and hostels. Their plans are quite flexible at this time. They will welcome any hospitality or travel opportunities that might be offered to them.

* * *Gerry Condon is Co-Chair, GI Resistance Working Group (Veterans For Peace) and Member of Steering Committee of Bradley Manning Support Network. See his article "Building the Campaign to Defend GI Resisters" on this web link:

http://nlgmltf.org/wp/downloads/onwatch/Onwatch_xxii-2Jun11.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

rebelwoman wrote: »

Think you'd like us - we do some stuff from the 80's, a lot of 90's/00's stuff, and some modern stuff too. No cover charge anyway, so what's the worst that can happen ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks Owen that sounds good to me:). Hope to get there. Full critique next week if I do;)

Think you'd like us - we do some stuff from the 80's, a lot of 90's/00's stuff, and some modern stuff too. No cover charge anyway, so what's the worst that can happen ;)

I braved the fog to go to see ye play! You were dead right Owen quite a mixture ye played. Enjoyed most of it I have to say. Loved your version of Snow Patrol's "you're all I have" Well done. A good nite.:):)

Sweet! That was one of the only songs I sang too! If you go to our website, SuckerPunch.ie, there's a link to our FB page. We'll be putting video online from the gig early next week. Thanks again!!

U'll be glad 2 hear the lads that were down for the weekend were very impressed, although there has been a bit of debate about....

A: did ye play the drop kick murphys or not and....

B: What sh1t was I saying 2 ya afterwards :D

Elbow wrote: »

God yeah. Myself and Dave let rip on that song, it's hilarious to watch the sound engineer figure out why we've gone from singing to roaring! :D

Ah, nothing bad mate, just a friendly hello, gig was great, talent was mighty, did I want a beer, that sort of thing :)

• Advertisement

God yeah. Myself and Dave let rip on that song, it's hilarious to watch the sound engineer figure out why we've gone from singing to roaring! :D

Ah, nothing bad mate, just a friendly hello, gig was great, talent was mighty, did I want a beer, that sort of thing :)

I was obviously in my own little drunkin world when ye did that ( one of my favourite songs 2 join in with after a few beers and all :D)

the only thing I remember about talking 2 ya about was if "dat other bordsie showed up or not"

Mighty out all the same, any more gigs planned in de barras?

There's something in the works which might end up being huge for us, so if that happens, then definitely yes. We're in the middle of deciding our next 30 or so songs to learn too - so it's going to be fun :pac:

There's something in the works which might end up being huge for us, so if that happens, then definitely yes. We're in the middle of deciding our next 30 or so songs to learn too - so it's going to be fun :pac:

Nice one man, best of luck with what evers in the works anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭lukin

Cork band The Grunts launch their new video on Thursday, December 8 at the Roundy on Castle street (8pm). Sound a bit like the Pixies/early U2.
    They will be playing live as well with Versives and Tenonsaw. I haven't seen Tenonsaw but I have seen Versives, they play electronic stuff.
    http://www.facebook.com/events/247334391997349/#!/events/247334391997349/

Chaos Cabaret Fundraiser for Solidarity Books

An evening of food, poetry, theatre, music and radical flare: all in aid of Solidarity Books, Cork. Come along and show your support for radical books and ideas in our city!

Thursday night, 15th December

From 8 pm to 11.30 om

@ The Spailpin Fanach Pub (Upstairs)
    South Main Street
    Cork

A small charge on the door (waged/ unwaged) with all proceeds to go in aid of Solidarity Books, Cork.

chaos_cabaret_for_solidarity_books2.jpg
    www.solidaritybooks.org
    http://www.solidaritybooks.org/events/chaos-cabaret-fundraiser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bride_ofChucky

405246_10150470747696094_616076093_9194716_854356209_n.jpg

More info: http://www.facebook.com/events/137447433034406/

It's a new year! Did you promise yourself you'd get fit? Have more fun? Try something new? Guess what - we can make it all happen!
    Take that first step and come to our Skate Clinics, designed to prepare you for tryouts, and get you rolling with you local roller derby league in 2012!

Skate Clinics:

January 15th: http://www.facebook.com/events/114015872049672/

February 5th: http://www.facebook.com/events/155211141251638/

Try outs:
    February 12th: http://www.facebook.com/events/206821632734820/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Fling are back in the Republic of Cork tonight....this time in Crane Lane in Cork City. Late gig, starts 11.30 and its free adm!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

img004.jpg

Everyone's favourite beat-merchants The Pacifics will be rocking the Old Oak this Tuesday, it's free in and it's going to be absolute mayhem!

Starting this Thursday, we will be resuming our weekly film screenings at the bookshop. A full programme for the month of February will be up soon.
    There is no cover charge for the screenings but donations are, as ever, much appreciated.   
    ( Beware, post-film discussion might be encouraged! )

* This Thursday January 19th, Solidarity Books will host a screening of Zapatista - a Big Noise film (2001)
    Start time is 8pm. Hope to see you there.

Thursday Jan. 19th, 8pm:

Zapatista - a Big Noise film (2001)

Forget the Mayan Calendar / Doomsday scenarios, the real Mayan story to be excited about is the Zapatista one! Zapatista tells the story of the Mayan peasant uprising in Chiapas and includes interviews with Subcomandante Marcos and Noam Chomsky among others, and gives a clear insight into the revolution in Chiapas. A discussion of the film will follow with a local Irish activist who recently spent a year in Chiapas.

http://www.solidaritybooks.org/events/cinema-night-zapatista-big-noise

111t.jpg

* Upcoming Film for next week:

Thursday January 26th, 8pm:

Style Wars (1983)

Style Wars is the legendary hip hop documentary and a timeless film classic, the indispensable record of a golden age of youthful creativity and exploding hip hop subculture. Directed by Tony Silver, Style Wars captures the look and feel of New York’s ramshackle subway system as the graffiti writers’ public playground, battleground and spectacular artistic canvas.

112t.jpg

http://www.solidaritybooks.org/events/cinema-night-style-wars

Delicious Vegan food (..not just for Vegans!), at the Veg Out Cafe

Every Tuesday from 7pm in Solidarity Books, 43 Douglas Street (across from Fionn Barra’s)

Suggested donation: 5 euro – all welcome!

Fundraiser for Occupy

86t.jpg

http://www.solidaritybooks.org/events/veg-out-every-Tuesday

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Veg-Out/182292658476549?sk=wall

• Advertisement

Join us this Thursday Feb 2nd at Solidarity Books for a screening of 'Z' (details of film below). Start time is 8pm.

All welcome, donations appreciated.

Z (1969) Costa Gavras

Z is a 1969 French language political thriller directed by Costa Gavras, based on the 1966 novel of the same name by Vassilis Vassilikos. The film presents a thinly fictionalized account of the events surrounding the assassination of democratic Greek politician Grigoris Lambrtakis in 1963. Following the murder, an investigator tries to uncover the truth while government officials attempt to cover up their roles. With its satirical view of Greek politics, its dark sense of humor, and its downbeat ending, the film captures the outrage about the military dictatorship that ruled Greece at the time of its making.

trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHB28qfsV2w

http://www.solidaritybooks.org/events/z-1969-costa-gavras
    460_0___30_0_0_0_0_0_z.costa.gavras.1969.jpg

Join us Thursday, Feb 9th at Solidarity Books for a screening of 'The End of Violence Wim Wenders (1997)' (details of film below).

Start time is 8pm.

The End of Violence Wim Wenders (1997)
    end_of_violence_2.jpg

Shot over a three week period in L.A., this rich and complex film concerns issues of alienation, surveillance, technology, media and invisibility. A film producer who has made a fortune from violent movies, has to disappear after a mysterious attempt on his life and is taken in by immigrant Mexican gardeners who enable him to see the dehumanising reality of his old life. Meanwhile a scientist is pressured by the CIA to precide over an Orwellian surveillance system overlooking the city.

trailer: http://www.artistdirect.com/video/the-end-of-violence/57738

http://www.solidaritybooks.org/events/cinema-night-the-end-of-violence

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 superman123

Hey guys, just found a great website full of up and coming gig's in cork. http://www.corkentertainment.ie/
    I found a 2euro discount for cork taxi's on the website. Even found a picture of me and my mates at our xmas party:)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Caggles

A Cocktail of acoustic soulfolk with a hint of jazz emotional melodies ,meaningful lyrics and music to make you feel. Based in Galway Ireland Galway, Ireland · http://www.reverbnation.com/queenelvis

8at9u3
    Col an Cal from Big Bag of Sticks with their latest band.:D

My band SuckerPunch are playing 2 venues this coming weekend. Saturday the 18th, we're in the Marakibo in Mallow, and on Sunday the 19th we're playing The Grafton Bar on Oliver Plunkett Street in Cork.

We play a great mix of Rock and Chart stuff, 4 part Vocal Harmonies and we're getting some pretty good reviews of the gigs we've done. Love to see a few boardsies at the next 2 gigs. If you do come along, say hi - I'll be the guy on Bass!

Check us out here on Facebook and become a fan!

Cinema Night - Black Power Mixtape 1967-75 Goran Olsson (2011) 8pm Thursday Feb 23rd

Join us Thursday, Feb 23rd at Solidarity Books for a screening of 'Black Power Mixtape 1967-75 Goran Olsson (2011)' (details of film below).

Start time is 8pm.

Black Power Mixtape 1967-75 Goran Olsson (2011)

Based on footage shot by Swedish journalists in the late 1960s and early '70s to document the Black Power movement, the film weaves scenes of the Harlem, Brooklyn and Oakland streets with interviews of movment leaders Eldridge Cleaver, Stokely Carmichael, Angela Davis and numerous others. Recalling her original interview by Swedish journalist Goran Hugo Olsson, Davis noted he was “the first journalist to interview me from jail. I was asked by him and by everyone else at the time'Why do you advocate violence?' For some reason we were (considered) the ones responsible for all of the violence of that era.”
    460_0___30_0_0_0_0_0_black_power_mixtape_1.jpg

trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXQxyYllXnM

http://www.solidaritybooks.org/events/cinema-night-blackpower-mixtape

Playing with my other band this coming Sunday night in Door 51 on the Grand Parade in Cork. It's actually our Launch as part of the Occasions Event team. It's probably the nicest pub in Cork at the moment, so well worth a drop in.
    429222_3327559875712_1469889301_3111298_932656577_n.jpg

Transmission - Cork’s newest all male pop and rock style tribute band will be showcasing for the first time this Sunday night in Door 51, Cork city from 9 pm on. This 5-piece all male line up will be performing all your favourite hits from the 60’s, 70’s funk and right up to present day classics. Don't miss your chance to be the first to see Cork's hottest pop and rock band.

http://occasions.ie/bands/transmission.htm

For further information visit occasions.ie

Join us Thursday, 1st March at Solidarity Books for a screening of "Ethel McDonald: An Anarchist's Story (2006)" (details of film below).

Start time is 8pm.

etheltalkinginamsterdam.jpg

"
    This drama-documentary tells the story of Ethel MacDonald. A forgotten legend, her story ranks alongside the courage of 'La Pasionaria' and the legendary 'Odette'. Whilst both these women sustained world-wide recognition, our Scots heroine dwindled into obscurity and remains forgotten to this day. Ethel MacDonald's own intimate recollections are presented through a definitive mix of documentary and drama, re-visiting the Killing Fields that were the Spanish Civil War. Supporting commentary spoken by David Hayman paired with expert interviews, including Noam Chomsky, provides background knowledge of 1930's European Politics and a further insight into the young Scot's motives, actions and social situation. The film links her own personal drama to specific archive footage of Barcelona in disarray - an image Ethel MacDonald came to know so well.
    "
    460_0___30_0_0_0_0_0_ananarchistsstory1.jpg

Copies of the book based upon the research for the screenplay "An Anarchist's Story: The Life of Ethel MacDonald" by Chris Dolan, will be available in solidaritybooks.

related links:
    http://www.spanishcivilwarfilm.com/thefilm/index.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethel_MacDonald
    book review:
    http://news.infoshop.org/article.php?story=20091118164203665
    trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6_X5m32jM0

http://www.solidaritybooks.org/events/ethel-macdonald-an-anarchist-story

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Cork rockers Hope Is Noise will launch their third album and celebrate 16 years together with a mini-festival taking place over St. Patrick's weekend in Fred Zeppelin's, Cork.

Taking place over two nights, a dozen or so bands will play the famous Parliament Street venue with Agitate The Gravel, Dott, Stanton's Grave and Hope Is Noise themselves playing the Friday with DJs spinning some records downstairs. Saturday will see (R)evolution of a Sun, Them Martyrs, I'll Eat your Face and Bissect assault the stage with both nights costing a measly €5 per night.

All proceeds from the weekend will go to Ataxia Ireland so huge kudos should go to all bands involved not to mention Tom and the rest of the Fred's staff.

This Used To Be A Laugh - the new album from Hope Is Noise - will be available on the night and is currently streaming exclusively over on the link below.

http://www.thegmanworld.com/2012/02/exclusive-stream-hope-is-noise-this.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

No Spill Blood is the new band featuring members of Elk, Adebisi Shank and Crayonsmith/Guilty Optics. Playing Saturday March 3rd in the brilliant Triskel Auditorium with support from Dublin stoner/psych rockers Wild Rocket. Doors at 9:30pm and entry is €5.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/No-Spill-Blood/218303461588387

nsbsmall2.jpg

Advertisement