Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Sticky] Gigs/Events in Cork? Post 'em here.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Cork City v Finn Harps
    Turner's Cross
    Friday, 15th April
    7.45pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Rebel County Rollers

Rebel County Rollers and Touch Wood Skate Park present

eggroll_poster_web_small.gif

THE EASTER EGG ROLL!
    A full day of skating, chocolate and fun for the whole family, all day in TouchWood. There will be DJs playing everything from R&B to rock & roll, skate movies to watch, skating, prizes, food, and fun! Plenty to keep the smallies, the not-so-smallies, and grown-up kids entertained for the whole day! (for more details on the whole day, check out the facebook event - http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=175048522547271)

AND!

To finish off the day, LIVE in the skate park @ 6.30pm
    KVX! Cork's indie mavens play an all-ages gig!
    Check out http://www.facebook.com/KVXcork or pick up their EP 'Dinner' from Plugd
    Listen online at http://breakingtunes.com/kvx
    Gig equipment kindly sponsored by Cork Rehearsal Studios
    http://www.corkrehearsalstudios.com/

-- This is fundraising event for Rebel County Rollers - Cork's roller derby league --
    -- Supported by TouchWood Skatepark - Cork's only indoor skatepark!

http://www.rebelcountyrollers.org/
    http://www.touchwoodpark.com

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

The Cork New Music Ensemble

Saturday, 21st of May
    8:00 p.m.
    Curtis Auditoriom
    Cork School of Music.

Admissiom: 5 euro

newmusicpng.png

The Cork New Music Ensemble is a recently formed group dedicated to performing newly composed works and other contemporary music.

For its debut performance the ensemble will perform nine new works by Irish composers.

Pieces to be performed (not necessarily in order of performance)

Sam Barker - Two Sonnets for Violin, Vibraphone and Double Bass
    Sam Perkin - Prelude and Fugue For Marimba and Violin
    Brendan O'Connor - Droplets on Staves for Chamber Ensemble
    Siona Mahon - As the Leaf Withers for Chamber Ensemble
    Patrick O'Connor - Evocation and King's Seranade for Soprano and Ensemble
    Stephen Lane - Making Time for Piano and Vibraphone
    Stephen Parker - Lullabies for an Estuary of Sculptures: Phillip Jackson, for Soprano and Ensemble
    Pierre O'Reilly - Yello for two Pianos
    David O'Regan - Sleepwalk for Flute and Vibraphone

The list of performers includes Aoife O'Donnovan (flute), Eoin Ducrot (violin), Alex Petcu (percussion), Shane Ladden (piano), Aoife Sadlier (cello), Kelley Lonergan (soprano), Conor Palliser (conducting some pieces) and many more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Cork City v Longford Town
    Turner's Cross
    Friday, 6th May
    7.45pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Rebel County Rollers

Facebook event page here

Rebel County Rollers present

Swing Night!

Saturday May 14th - 7pm til late
    at the Crane Lane Theatre
    A Swingin' 1930's Costume Party!

7.30pm Swing/Charleston lesson with Elaine Peace (Swing Dance Cork)

Then dance your socks off with DJ Gary Baus!

Vintage derby and dance footage on screen!

Prizes for Best Dressed Guy & Doll!

Door charge 8 euro - includes dance class, so come early!

Shop with these local vintage stores, and get 10% off your Swing Night costume!

Mercury Goes Retrograde (Drawbridge St.)

Miss Daisy Blue (Market Parade - English Mkt.)

Turquoise Flamingo
    (Washington St.)

Get Dolled Up & Be On Your Worst Behaviour!

A Rebel County Rollers Fund-raising Event

www.rebelcountyrollers.org
    www.swingdancecork.com
    www.cranelanetheatre.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Hi Folks, got this email forwarded by a buddy last night - looks good, for anyone that was going to Henry's Foundry or Zoe's back in the day.

This Saturday night at the Savoy Theatre Cork sees possibly the biggest Old School Cork Clubbing night EVER! Never before has something like this been done, so dont miss out on this night!!

From 3 of Corks Legendary clubs (check the history books!!) come 6 of Corks DJs who have played in the 3 clubs, playing the music that made Cork a classic clubbing capital.

Marq Walsh & Guilder playing from Sir Henrys, Mucca, Carlos & Eddie K from Zoes (also Henrys) and Dave Finnegan from Foundry/Surfers - they will all bring some historic music to Cork once more.

Doors will open at 11pm and its €10 at the door

A pre party in the Thomond bar (Marlboro Street...down by Porters) kicks off at 9pm with Dave Newman kicking back some old school house to get you warmed up with drink specials there to get you warmed up even more.

You do not want to miss this night...its never been done and may never be done for a long time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭D.U.M.B

227950_10150302798803976_828293975_9557730_5214531_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=198791296832101

Heres the blurb. im mega excited about this one. Been looking for an excuse to have this guy over and this seemed perfect.

Boddika’s arrival on the scene at the end of last year has shaken it to its very core, slamming down with a raw take on things that’s making all journalists scramble for the right genre tag. Is it electro? Techno? Old? New? Harking the expansive sounds of Luke Vibert, the analogue programming of Juan Atkins early work, and the rawness of the Drexciya/Dopplereffekt family, Boddika is the newest project of Al Green, 1/2 of the boundary-pushing duo that’s re-written the rules completely, Instra:mental.
    Producing on raw analogue machines, Boddika has made some of the most exciting and dancefloor smashing sounds heard in years, with a respect full nod to electronic music of the past. The last six months has seen him unleash wave of wave of killer record relentlessly. “I’m going to keep changing direction with my sound as I have so many ideas. All I can say is expect the unexpected; I’m going to make the most of this project and don’t plan on stopping anytime soon - I have too many ideas and things I wanna get out my system.”

Support on the night will be from Teddy (Fried, Bump, Limerick) plus Rob DC & Jonesy. Prizes such as signed Bump! t-shirts by last years artists will be up for grabs as well as reduced price Bump! festival tickets.

BUMP! Muzik Festival is a two day camping event, taking place in the Landscape House & Gardens, Clonlara, Co. Clare over the weekend of July 23rd & 24th 2011, and embracing the best that Irish and International electronic music has to offer. After the runaway success that was the inaugural Bump! Festival in 2010, 2011 will be that little bit bigger - already on the Bill are techno legends Regis and Indigo Kennedy. The breaks are being taken care of by June Miller, Stray and junglist legend Equinox. Other notables on the bill are Ireland’s finest electronic export Boxcutter, hotly tipped UK producer/dj Throwing Snow, Koan Sound and Irish acid The Person. Irish techno stalwarts Rory St John, Sunil Sharpe and Fran Hartnett also feature. For more info visit http://www.bumpfestival.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Anyone boardsies going to this tomorrow night (Thursday)?

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=186010618116816

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭clivej

The Swingin' Bluecats @ The Cork Midsummer Festival 2011.
    with SWING DANCE CORK.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=216605178372862

Murphy's Spiegeltent, Cork
    Monday June 20th @10pm & 21st @1am

Doors at 10.00pm.

The Swingin’ Bluecats are a six-piece Jump, Jive & Swing band suited and booted in 1940s retrostyle royal blue Zoot Suits. You can expect to hear classic jump, jive, jazz & swing numbers made famous by such legends as Louis Jordan, Louis Prima, Cab Calloway, Jackie Wilson, Big Joe Turner, Bill Haley, Brian Setzer Orchestra and the Glenn Miller Orchestra.

The night will kick off with a swing dance class for all levels (beginners welcome) with Elaine from Swing Dance Cork. Dress up in your best ‘30s/’40s vintage wear for our Best Dressed Contest to win a swell prize!

Tickets are priced at only €10.00 so they're selling fast!

...or contact:

Cork Midsummer Festival
    Civic Trust House
    50 Popes Quay, Cork
    info@corkmidsummer.com
    Tel: 021 4215131

logo_band_hs_fw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Cork Harlequins Car Boot Sale
    Farmers Cross, By the Airport roundabout, will be signposted on the day.

267660_10150710761600361_281081235360_19301749_4875109_n1.jpg?w=509&h=720

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

The Reich Effect. Festival celebrating the work of minimalist composer, Steve Reich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Anyone willing to sell a Christy Moore ticket for Wednesday 17th?

PM me if you have a spare.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

My new band SuckerPunch are having our first gig in De Barra's in nClon on October 8th. We've been working hard on this one for about 6 months now, all established and experience musicians, and we're going to be taking live music to the next level. We'd love to see a few boardsies tag along!

FB Page here for the band, only rolled out last week, photos, bios, site to follow :

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SuckerPunch/197222130305300

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

http://www.pavilioncork.com/venue/event-details/soul_disco_night_with_shirley_sparkle_the_mama_zitas_stevie_g/

Celebrate your Decades Fest with tunes from the soulful 60's and disco 70's as well as some modern day crackers!!

UPSTAIRS IN THE PAV
    20th of August
    From 11pm!

Myself and Laura O'Callaghan (Both female members of the Papa Zitas, under the temp guise of THE MAMA ZITAS!),
    DJ Stevie G and..
    Cork DJ Shirley Sparkle will be kicking the tunes from 11, upstairs, only a 5er in! ;)

Banging out the tunes all night... come along, should be good fun! Also, wear yer best 70's gear for some extra rewards on the night! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

That Bud promotion that's been running on telly for a while, you know yer man doing the fake weather thing and advertising the app that gets you free pints etc?

The final casting for his whole 'Find a co-presenter' thing is on in O'Sullivans Bar in Douglas tonight. It should be a bit of a laugh, there is a grand up for grabs for the winner (Of tonight, not the overall comp) so there should be some stiff competition.

Facebook event is here.
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=134299343326344

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Caggles

Queen Elvis play The Crane Lane Sept 23rd
    at 9pm.
    .A five piece band from Galway playing original songs in an alternative folk style.Lyrically questioning the politics of society and the inner depths of the individual. Captivating and mesmerizing musical arrangements will have you shouting for more.A memorable journey not to be missed!

http://www.reverbnation.com/queenelvis
    http://soundcloud.com/queenelvis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

A bit of culture for you. :D

Antiques Fair,
    “The Grainstore”, Ballymaloe House, Shanagarry, Co.Cork

On: Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th October, 2011

Open:

Saturday from 11.00am – 8.00pm

Sunday from 10.00am – 6.00pm

ballymaloe.jpg?w=553&h=368

Varied stock to include, furniture, silver and plate, china, oil lamps, paintings and prints, antiquarian and out of print Irish books, postcards, textiles, copper and brassware etc.

Further information: Michael Watson (021) 733 5970

Directions: http://www.ballymaloe.ie/location

I know I plugged it a while back, but it's happening in the next few days, so I'm a gonna plug my band's gig next weekend. We're called SuckerPunch, and we're playing in DeBarras in Clonakilty on Saturday the 8th, on stage about 10:30. We're a covers band, but playing unusual stuff like Orson, Chickenfoot, Gemini 5, The Ataris, along with unussual songs from regular bands people like too. Would love to see a few boardsies at the gig. I'll be playing bass, I'm the guy on the right in the photo :

305492_281166521910860_197222130305300_1102732_610005733_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Owen wrote: »
    I know I plugged it a while back, but it's happening in the next few days, so I'm a gonna plug my band's gig next weekend. We're called SuckerPunch, and we're playing in DeBarras in Clonakilty on Saturday the 8th, on stage about 10:30. We're a covers band, but playing unusual stuff like Orson, Chickenfoot, Gemini 5, The Ataris, along with unussual songs from regular bands people like too. Would love to see a few boardsies at the gig. I'll be playing bass, I'm the guy on the right in the photo :

Looking forward to it, covercharge or a free gig? :D

Free! Feel free to ply me with drink though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ccartlink

This Halloween Cork Community Art Link invites you to dress up, get spooky and walk with Ireland’s last Dragon through the historic streets of Shandon, Cork at the 6th Dragon of Shandon Samhain Parade.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/emhlsUio_gU
    The 2011 evening parade of spooks and ghouls will see hundreds of costumed zombies, vampires and monsters take to the streets of Shandon on Halloween night along with an eerie river parade and installaton on the Lee with a shoal of illuminated fish mounted on currachs. Footbridges will be transformed into performance areas , the 36 foot sellotape Dragon of Shandon returns and will be joined on the night by the notorious quack doctor Baron Spolasco as well as brightly illuminated skeleton puppets, lanterns and musicians.

The Dragon of Shandon Samhain Parade is a fun family event and one of Ireland’s largest street celebrations of the Irish tradition of Samhain. The annual Leeside Halloween street parade is the result of an extensive community outreach programme and collaboration with artists that takes place across Cork city .

The Parade will depart the Shandon Craft Centre Monday 31st October at 6:30pm with an opening performance, turns down John Redmond St, Mulgrave Road, along Popes Quay, up Shandon St, Church St returning to the Craft centre for an outdoor Monsters Ball.

The 2011 parade is supported by Cathedral Credit Union, the Buttercup Café, local Shandon Street business and trading community and the Firkin Crane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Fling is a coming together of like-minded individuals who share a joy in both music and travel, each one an accomplished musician in their own right. The resultant music is a blend of traditions and styles, a 'world' music, that has twangs of bluegrass, Irish trad and good ol' rock and roll. Their influences range from Planxty and Lunasa to Rory Gallagher and Led Zeppellin.

Although only together for a year and a half, Fling have already played many a gig including the Electric Picnic, Body and Soul, Spirit of Folk festival, Green Village Festival, Festival of the Fires, the White Horse Sessions, the Galway-Sterling Sessions and were headliners at the Galway Americana Festival 2010. They were also invited by Guinness to perform as part of their Arthur's Day celebrations in Campbell's Tavern, Galway. Boyle's of Slane named them as one of the best acts ever to have performed there. It has been a very busy year for Fling.

Fling have been flying literally around the world playing their music. Most recently they have toured in Denmark where along with playing sell out cultural festivals and Irish events, they also played in schools, promoting Irish music and culture to eager music students. They have been invited back in January for an even more extensive tour. February saw them complete a sell-out tour of Northern Spain. One of the highlights of their inaugural year was when they were invited to Shanghai, China where they performed at the St. Patrick's celebrations.

Tours in the UK, France and Scandanavia are coming up soon and the band are heading back to China early next year.

Fling have just released their debut album, eponymously named "Fling". The album was recorded at Grouse Lodge in Westmeath and Sun St. studios in Tuam with the legendary Kenny Ralph, and the incredible musicianship has been enriched with guest musicians such as Steve Wickham from the Waterboys who adds his violin virtuosity on a couple of tracks. It was produced by Derek Murray (The Stunning),who also plays on a track, and mixed by Trevor Hutchinson (Lunasa), which all adds up to a fantastic sound!

The band will be touring the album around the country for the next few months. Dates include the following in Cork City and County

22nd Oct- Ma Murphys, Bantry
    23rd Oct- The Eldon Hotel, Skibereen
    25th Oct - Crane Lane, Cork City

"Classy stuff from folks high on artistry" Jackie Hayden, Hot Press

"I can see them being mega in the folk world." Peter Nagle, 2 U I Bestow music blog.

"This is a band that are incredible fun to listen on CD, but I feel that to truly appreciate these fantastic musicians you need to see them live! Never before has music of this genre achieved all it can through recordings, it is something you need to experience. "
    Declan O'Toole, Music Review Unsigned

"Fling is an apt name for this band. The music is a gentle concoction of strings, airy winds and big drums, with the instrumentals are pure class. On the occasions where they sing, such as on The Mountain, their voices bring a slow-dance Nashville edge, which is both compelling and emotive – with slow, sing-along harmonies."
    Alice Sage, For Folks Sake New Bands Panel

"They're amazing. Bluegrass, traditional and gypsy sounds inform the melodies with killer harmonies, deadly rhythms and a big ol' double bass slapping away. There's a coherence here which belies their brief union."
    John Donnellan, Hot Press

Fling are based in Galway in the West of Ireland

www.flingfolk.com
    Soundcloud :- http://soundcloud.com/fling-1

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭postdarwin

pic2.jpg

CYPRUS AVENUE
    MONDAY 31st OCTOBER - 8pm 10EUR

On the 30th anniversary of the Blue Valentine tour, David Irwin and his band recreated the early years of Tom Waits' music.

During his acoustic singer/songwriter period (the ten years or so up to the 1980s before he turned to more experimental music) Tom Waits wrote a catalogue of classic mournful and wryly ironic melodies for which he is probably still best known.

This was a period that saw Waits writing songs such as Martha, Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You, Tom Traubert's Blues (Waltzing Mathilda), Ol' 55, The Heart Of Saturday Night, The Piano Has Been Drinking, and Closing Time.

His nightclub-style performances are legendary, with a voice that has been described as sounding 'like it was soaked in a vat of bourbon, left hanging in the smokehouse for a few months, and then taken outside and run over with a car.'

The well-known Limerick singer and instrumentalist David Irwin recruited a fine band of musicians to bring us his interpretations of these classic ballads, love songs and observations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wild heather

THE IRISH WILDLFE TRUST

Wildlife in Cork City

Talks by
    Mike Brown (Wildlife photographer)
    Jim Wilson (Author and broadcaster)
    PLUS
    workshops, displays, raffle and site visits

Cork Vision Centre, North Main st, Cork
    Nov 12th, from 10 am – 1 pm (site visits 2-5)
    FREE admission (Lunch not provided)

Registration and further details at
    087 2282040 / corkwildlifeseminar@gmail.com

Outline of the seminar

10.00 Registration

10.30 Mike Brown – Urban wildife in photographs

11.15 Jim Wilson – Birds in an urban environment

12.00 Working groups

Working group 1. Gardening in the city and wildlife

Working group 2. Public areas in the city

Working group 3. Wildlife Protection and care of injured animals

12.45 Report back from working groups

1pm Lunch

2pm Site visits. Please select which site you wish to visit on the registration form.

Both speakers are experts in their fields. Mike Brown is a renown wildlife photographer and has published several books on his photographs.www.mikebrownphotography.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Plebian

Short notice on this one, but it should prove very interesting tonight. Plus, as always, its free admission at solidarity books.

Colombia: the new wave of social protest and the dirty war against the people

Documentary Screening and Discussion with Javier Orozco, Colombian Refugee and Trade Unionist. Wed. 9th Nov. 8pm, Solidarity Books, 43 Douglas St, Cork

this Wed. 9th Nov. 
8pm,
    Solidarity Books, 43 Douglas St, 
Cork

460_0___30_0_0_0_0_0_cork_flyer_copy.jpg

Colombia has a reputation for the human rights abuses in the middle of the ongoing social and armed conflict. Little is known about the resistance movement and popular resistance to war-mongering and to the economic and political model structurally linked to war. At the heart of this popular struggle lies the key to understand the current conflict and the persistence of human rights violations in Colombia. This year has witnessed a dramatic increase in popular struggles all over the country: students, oil workers, peasants, poor communities, indigenous groups. As a result, the dirty war waged by the system has got even dirtier. Massacres are on the raise and so are military actions all over the country.

In February 2010 a human rights delegation from Asturias visited Colombia for the sixth time to record the humanitarian crisis in the country. They were harassed by the army sand they were denied access to interview political prisoners in the infamous prison of Valledupar, La Tramacúa, where a number of political prisoners have died this year out of ill-treatment, torture and deprivation. But the managed to cover the situation in the departments of Antioquia, Caquetá, Cauca, Cesar, Putumayo, Bolívar y Cundinamarca. In all of these places, they corroborated the dramatic humanitarian situation and the systematic abuse of the military and their death squads against the population.But most importantly, they give a voice to those who day to day struggle for a just Colombia, for a new country which belongs equally to all of its offsprings.

The results of the mission and many interviews were recorded in a docummentary (subtitled to English for the first time

This will be screened to open up a debate on the situation in Colombia.

The coordinator of this commission, Javier Orozco, a person with a deep knowledge of the Colombian conflict and with an international reputation for his work for human rights, will present the documentary and will be available for questions and answers from the public. 

Javier Orozco Peñaranda (50), is an ex member of the national executive of Colombia's main trade union (CUT), ex member of the national council of peasant and indigenous organisations of Colombia, he's been a refugee in Spains since 2001 (after a death squad put a price on his head) and now he's the coordinator of the programme for temporary asylum for Colombians victims of violence in Asturias.

Admission is free

http://www.solidaritybooks.org/events/colombia-documentary-screening-and-director-discussion

Yay, my band are gigging this weekend again in DeBarra's in Clonakilty. Saturday night (The 19th), 10:30pm. Unlike other cover bands out there that have 80% of the same set lists (You know, they all play the Killers I predict a riot, all play Sex on Fire, all play Sweet Child of Mine), we do the songs everyone rocked out to but forgot. Our remit is to play songs that other bands just aren't doing, and play them hard - we have 4 part vocal harmonies, a keyboard player from Mars, and a drummer who's done it all, chilled with the Foo Fighters backstage after gigging at the same Festival, and played at Electric Picnic a few times too.

We're called SuckerPunch, and would love to see a few whest Cork boardsies along!

MG_5761-Large-Small.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Owen wrote: »
    Yay, my band are gigging this weekend again in DeBarra's in Clonakilty. Saturday night (The 19th), 10:30pm. Unlike other cover bands out there that have 80% of the same set lists (You know, they all play the Killers I predict a riot, all play Sex on Fire, all play Sweet Child of Mine), we do the songs everyone rocked out to but forgot. Our remit is to play songs that other bands just aren't doing, and play them hard - we have 4 part vocal harmonies, a keyboard player from Mars, and a drummer who's done it all, chilled with the Foo Fighters backstage after gigging at the same Festival, and played at Electric Picnic a few times too.

We're called SuckerPunch, and would love to see a few whest Cork boardsies along!

Might take a bit of a stroll up town i suppose :D

• Advertisement

Was good to meet you the last time Elbow! Looking forward to playing now, only a few days away.

Advertisement