Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your car here, part 3 (Quote A Photo, GET A 24 HOUR BAN!!!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

unkel wrote:
    Yeah I like the chrome, but I would have preferred slightly less fancy wheels myself. I prefer the much more closed style as is the norm on high end Audis and Mercs.

I'm glad you said that, alloys full of air just look wrong on a German saloon, esp large ones.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I tend to agree about solid-centered alloys on german cars in general, but I quite like the ones on unkel's car; they're evocative of the cross-spokes you usually see on beamers - which I actually don't like - but not, if you follow me. The 3-piece look suits it too.

adam /who's already told unkel he'd be happy to buy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

Maybe, as a general rule, airy alloys don't suit 'plutobarges' of german origin, but I think they nicely complement the chrome detailing on Unkle's car.

What about sticking these ones on :D ?

Merc2.jpg

Gangsta! :cool:

Strip the rest of the chrome off that (and fix up the bodywork obviously) and that'd be a seriously cool car. I've always thought classic Merc saloons would make great sleds. Volvo 240s too, and late model Sierra estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

mike65 wrote:
    I'm glad you said that

LOL, I should hope I'm not that sensitive, Mike :)

A neighbour has a similar age A8 and his alloys are so much more reserved (=stylish and cool in my book). Me no like bling ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Lexus came along ;-) (Oh and Mercedes got into bed with the Yanks.)

............whatever about the Chrysler union, I dont consider Lexus to be a rival to ANY Mercedes.

They look cheap ..........feel cheap...........but arent !

Just no positive image IMO !

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

MercMad wrote:
    ............whatever about the Chrysler union, I dont consider Lexus to be a rival to ANY Mercedes.

They look cheap ..........feel cheap...........but arent !

Just no positive image IMO !

Dunno mate. Look at the Top Gear survey released in the last few days for starters: Click
    Lexus Number 1. Mercedes Number 32 out of 36 manufacturers. I wonder how much longer Mercedes can survive on past glories? People have to wake up and smell the coffee at some stage...

Some pics of my car, taken yesterday (click on image for modem-busting versions):

FrontRightsm.jpg
    LeftSide2sm.jpg
    LeftRearsm.jpg
    Rearsm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Some of mine past and present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭IDMUD

See attachments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

@Unkle

You in lucan by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Junkyard, is that a Daimler SP250?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

No Squirrel, its a Triumph Spitfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Cool, sweet cars, I saw a Dart the other day and thought it looked familiar, ah well

@Unkle

You in lucan by any chance?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭stormin

My 156. There's a lot of fun to be had with one of these. Bit pricey servicing and repairs though.

http://www.hotwhiskey.com/alfa/alfa156.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

http://www.bmwcarclubforum.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=22571&KW=at+last

Mine's here - I'm just to lazy to go posting the pics again.

Pics start with the car when I bought it, and how it's developing. There are better pics at the end of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

1000660large9fr.jpg

Just got it at the weekend...

Lovely bus unklerosco.

unklerosco wrote:
    Just got it at the weekend...

So you finally did get it home :)

If you tell the good people here what you paid for it, some will be sick. Looks like a great bargain

*thinking of something to do with computers I can sell to unklerosco so he will collect it from me driving his new car*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

car11eq.jpg

Mine. Just got it at the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

A great thread and I am delighted to see so many nice classics around - would even be better though if people could give us some snippets of info regarding their classic(s) - where & how they got them etc any problems, storage etc.

But great pics all the same.:cool:

unkel wrote:
    So you finally did get it home :)

If you tell the good people here what you paid for it, some will be sick. Looks like a great bargain

*thinking of something to do with computers I can sell to unklerosco so he will collect it from me driving his new car*
    1000483medium7id.jpg

1000484medium6ae.jpg

For those who don't know its a '75 merc 280ce.. Got it on ebay, £870.. add shipping it back n the total came to about €1800... Similar cars r €3-5000 over here..

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

Few pics of my last Ae86

Enjoy :P
    Should have some pics of my 3rd one soon enough

This is my last one,bit of a minter :wink:
    Sold it just before the summer,all org,never painted

IMG_2645mj.jpg
    IMG_2649hy.jpg
    IMAG0227.jpg
    normal_IMG_2781.jpg
    Picture053.jpg
    Picture055.jpg

Im even thinking of buying this back at the min :wub:

Joe Gt wrote:
    Few pics of my last Ae86

This is my last one,bit of a minter :wink:
    Sold it just before the summer,all org,never painted

Im even thinking of buying this back at the min :wub:
    Looks great, especially with the first set of alloys - very nice colour combination.
    Was it just kept for shows or did you use it in anger?
    Can you tell us a bit about the car in terms of performance and what it's like to drive (rwd?) and live with.
    Roughly how much did it sell for?

unklerosco wrote:
    For those who don't know its a '75 merc 280ce.. Got it on ebay, £870.. add shipping it back n the total came to about €1800... Similar cars r €3-5000 over here..
    Very nice. Seems like a bargain at that price.
    Is it in full working order?
    I suppose the interior could do with a bit of a valet. Do you have any plans to spruce it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

bmoferrall wrote:
    Looks great, especially with the first set of alloys - very nice colour combination.
    Was it just kept for shows or did you use it in anger?
    Can you tell us a bit about the car in terms of performance and what it's like to drive (rwd?) and live with.
    Roughly how much did it sell for?

I used it as an everyday car and kept it looking like that 6 out of 7 days a week.Never realy used it in anger,with the suspension setup it had it realy didnt suit our back roads.If you spend top money on one it will stand to you,as it wont cost you anything in repair bills(Cost me about €150 in a year to maintain it)

The engine pushes out 122bhp in stock and they last forever.They are a quick enough car and alot of people love the way the handle.The can tend to understeer if the setup is not corect,

Sold it for €11500.

bmoferrall wrote:
    Very nice. Seems like a bargain at that price.
    Is it in full working order?
    I suppose the interior could do with a bit of a valet. Do you have any plans to spruce it up?

Altenator is getting refurbished... A few interior bits don't work but all minor. The other side of the car as quite a bit of rust on the rear panel that'll be getting sorted next month. Apart from that the car runs like a dream... As quite a bit of kick in it for a car of its age..

Plans are to sort the body work, most likely get a full respray and then if i decide that im gonna keep it long term i'll either keep it classic or modify it.. Alot of people in the UK cut the springs n stick on a nice set of alloys, i'll probably go for air suspension n a nice set of wheels n then work on the interior....

24132269410122004103349am5be.jpg
    5845383938217200364150pm8mf.jpg
    2413242861014200485735am8bp.jpg

unklerosco wrote:
    a nice set of wheels

Please don't, the wheels in those pics are awful :(

The original alloys on your car are class

• Advertisement

I prefare the original steel wheels... trying to find a set is the trick

This discussion has been closed.