Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Male, first bike, CBF 600 n with ABS, SoCo dub:
    carol nash
    • 830 FC
    • tpft 527 100 excess
    liberty
    • 858 fc
    • 660 tpft
    10% discount if I get my car done with them too, advanced course discount up to 30% or so.

cornmarket/adelaide
    no, commuting w/o 1yr ncb
    • 733 FC
    • 692.25 tpft

principal
    • comp only
    potential discount if I do an advanced course

carol nash is the cheapest out the gate, but liberty and principal can get discounts if I take an advanced course
    axa wouldn't insure me, even though I am a car insurance customer.

Thinking of canceling my car insurance to go with liberty tbh. Axa were pretty expensive this year, but I was too busy to ring around and get better quotes at renewal time, still have about 8 months left.

If I go with liberty/principal I'll have to fork out for advanced training. which won't really be possible for a few months anyway.

Might just go with carol nash tpft for now and look into advanced courses for renewal next year with liberty or princial

anyone have any advice on this decision?

edit:
    just did a quote on my car with liberty and got roughly the same as axa gave me. this means if take liberty on the bike now, and see out the axa policy then in Feb '17 I will get 10% off the quote for the car. which could be over 100 euro. Puts liberty and carol nash in the same ball park for total cost insuring the car and bike.

by the time I renew the car i'm likely to have taken an advanced course and have the test done, so liberty might work out cheaper in the long term.

carol nash do have the optional gear and helmet cover, which I think is a good touch. and principal were cheaper FC.
    hmm decisions decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

seamus wrote: »
    I'm trying to get a feel of what everyone else is being quoted for their insurance.

I started off 3.5 years ago with Hibernian, who charged me €2,400 TPO on a Suzuki Marauder 125cc. First renewal - my insurance dropped €200. Second renewal (18 months ago), my insurance *went up* by that same €200 to €2,400. So that year, I switched to Carole Nash, at €1650 TPO. At that time, AON were quoting me similar to Hibernian, being one and the same. My last renewal with CN, my insurance dropped a piddling amount to €1,430 TPO.

Now, I passed my test today, and gave CN a ring. I'm refunded €150. Em, ok.

So as it stands:
    Licence: Full
    NCB: 3 years
    Bike: Honda Varadero 125 (Group 2).

Carole Nash: €1,270 TPO
    AON/Axa: €568 TPO (I rang them today - Fully comp is *still cheaper* than the above CN price).

Has anyone else been getting quotes this good from Aon?

I passed my test and got €20 back less €10 for fukin admin fee's told them to keep the €20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

anyone have any advice on this decision?

How old is and what value are you putting on the bike?

If fully comp isn't a deal breaker for you I would be looking to go with CN with the TPFT.

Don't rush into shelling out for courses and training just to lower your insurance premium, it likely won't be worth your while for the financial gains. If you want to do more training then there are plenty of options, don't restrict yourself to the courses that will affect your insurance. In a year or two with more NCB those course won't make have much of an affect on your premium.

Ring CN back tell them you have a quote of 400/450 for TPFT and see if they will match it.

Full licence or learner permit?

To be honest, if this is your first time getting insurance, TPFT in the region of €500 is a very good price considering how volatile the insurance market is right now. When you consider how experienced riders with many years NCB are probably paying between €200-€300 per year, you're not a million miles away from that starting out the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Vikings wrote: »
    Ring CN back tell them you have a quote of 400/450 for TPFT and see if they will match it.

CN have started asking for written proof of quote that they match along with NCB docs, I was asked for my renewal quote from my other insurer that they matched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

How old is and what value are you putting on the bike?

If fully comp isn't a deal breaker for you I would be looking to go with CN with the TPFT.

Don't rush into shelling out for courses and training just to lower your insurance premium, it likely won't be worth your while for the financial gains. If you want to do more training then there are plenty of options, don't restrict yourself to the courses that will affect your insurance. In a year or two with more NCB those course won't make have much of an affect on your premium.

Full licence or learner permit?

To be honest, if this is your first time getting insurance, TPFT in the region of €500 is a very good price considering how volatile the insurance market is right now. When you consider how experienced riders with many years NCB are probably paying between €200-€300 per year, you're not a million miles away from that starting out the gate.

its an 08, so a few k to replace.

I'm still on provisional, and I'll be taking advanced courses more out of interest rather than to save money. since the price outweighs the saving anyway

fully comp ain't a deal breaker, but the boss has given permission to spend a little extra on FC.

right now I'm leaning towards principal as they are the cheapest FC, but i did get carol nash to come down to 730. with 350 excess.

liberty wont budge, so I will probably see how they qote the car next feb and consider them for next year.

now it's a choice between principal and CN.
    both want a deposit of 100, then CN need 227 for 3 months, principal want 70 for 9 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,498 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The most important thing for other people to know when they're deciding if a quote is reasonable value or not, is your age.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Just renewed for 2nd year with http://principalinsurance.ie/ .
    The best quote around for me again this year.
    The girl took another 10 off over the phone when I asked if that was the best they could do which saved me from overdrawing on my visa debit acc - finances are that tight at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Rusty Nordy

learner permit
    first insurance
    bandit 600
    cheapest by a mile principle insurance
    243 3rd party f&t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

learner
    first policy
    sv650
    236 tpft from both nash and principle, went nash as excess is only €100 cracking deal i must admit, fully comp was around the 350 mark without any haggling but stuck to the cheap insurance as its only for fair weather driving

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

July 2016

43 M
    No NCD (first Irish m/c insurance)
    Full licence (1993)
    Clean record
    1999 BMW R1100RT
    Co. Kildare

(Reason for no NCD, 9 year break after moving here. When I was 33, I had full NCD (9 years). Any accidents in that period were all non-fault. Didn't bother importing my 1990 CD250U at the time as the premiums for it were considerably more than £92)

Cornmarket/Adelaide.
    1999 BMW R1100RT TPFT €599.12
    2002 Suzuki SV650 TPFT €532.40
    2002 BMW F650 TPFT €269.70
    1994 Kawasaki GT750 TPFT €485
    1990 Honda CD250U TPFT €250

All no good as I need commuting which requires 1+ year NCD with them.

AXA
    1999 BMW R1100RT
    €370 TPO
    €710 TPF&T
    €780 COMP

No good either as assessment required (Grade 3+)

Principle
    €516.37 COMP, commuting, 6K miles (non-binding), riding other motorcycles, pillions, €300 excess.

Went with Principle as 50/50 payment (half up front, half a month later) was interest free and I couldn't be bothered making any more calls.

Car insurance is €455 - with max NCD - on a poxy 2005 Honda Jazz 1.4SE CVT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Mid 40's male
    4 yrs NCB,

2 bikes garaged Deauville and NX650
    Principal 282 Full Comp. Inc commuting and breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 the black celt

Anyone know which insurance company will cover a trike. It's a Boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Anyone know which insurance company will cover a trike. It's a Boom.

Aren't Boom trikes classed as cars ? Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Don't rush into shelling out for courses and training just to lower your insurance premium, it likely won't be worth your while for the financial gains.

Sorry, but that's not right : I get a good discount of CN for having RoSPA. And I get a car discount for having it as well.............well worth having.

OP - I wouldn't go near AXA - I used to be with them, and the one accident I had in 30yrs they were a pack of cnuts to deal with.

Took my bike, car(s) and house off them after that.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've found axa to be great tbh been with them twice no issues good quotes on both occasions.

Would use them again with no qualms

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

Male 45
    Only 1 yr ncb as I'd been away for a while
    full licence
    Main bike is a 929rr blade
    2nd bike is a TDM850
    CN wanted 400 odd but got it from MCE for 290

The excess is 400 with mce but I'm not too worried about that, I'm out in the sticks and will prob do no more than 5000 miles this year so happy days.
    And before anyone points out mce are cnuts well I'd have to say every company are !!!
    They only want your money, end of !!!

listermint wrote: »
    I've found axa to be great tbh been with them twice no issues good quotes on both occasions.

Would use them again with no qualms

The quote may be fine.....it's when you have a claim they go awol. .

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

galwaytt wrote: »
    The quote may be fine.....it's when you have a claim they go awol. .

No issues with AXA on a theft claim before Christmas. Whole thing was sorted out pretty quickly with a minimum of fuss & claim didn't affect my NCB

FWIW - 47 y.o., full NCB on a Learner Permit. Fully comp is <€350 on a Forza 125

Been with them (AXA) since AON stopped doing the Bikecare policies.

fdevine wrote: »
    No issues with AXA on a theft claim before Christmas. Whole thing was sorted out pretty quickly with a minimum of fuss & claim didn't affect my NCB

FWIW - 47 y.o., full NCB on a Learner Permit. Fully comp is <€350 on a Forza 125

Been with them (AXA) since AON stopped doing the Bikecare policies.

Well, when your car insurance comes up, do come back and tell us how your NCB isn't affected.

I got refused car insurance yesterday because of a bike claim with AXA in 2013. Despite it having it's own policy, own NCB - 'Protected' - was told it doesn't matter, any claim of any kind in any vehicle in the last 5 years disqualifies you from getting a quote.

I will refrain from the language that came to mind..........

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Well, when your car insurance comes up, do come back and tell us how your NCB isn't affected.

Only have bike insurance in my own name so not an issue for me

Not saying we all won't be screwed one way or another on insurance. Just noting my experience with AXA. I have shopped around over the years and they have been the cheapest for me. May be different for others.

• Advertisement

I got refused car insurance yesterday because of a bike claim with AXA in 2013. Despite it having it's own policy, own NCB - 'Protected' - was told it doesn't matter, any claim of any kind in any vehicle in the last 5 years disqualifies you from getting a quote.

I will refrain from the language that came to mind..........
    You think axa are the only insurers at that.

We are all being mugged off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Anyone has any suggestions of who to go to for bike and car insurance?

Had a car for long time but since switched to the bike I gave up the car. Lost 10+ years NCB but circumstance might require me to get the car again.

Don't want 2 different policies unless I must get them.

Thanks.

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Anyone has any suggestions of who to go to for bike and car insurance?

Had a car for long time but since switched to the bike I gave up the car. Lost 10+ years NCB but circumstance might require me to get the car again.

Thanks.

Carol Nash do both

Or liberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Good luck with that, noone in Ireland does a combined bike/car policy anymore. Best you can do is get the one place to do the two of them which leaves you with AXA, Principal and Liberty. Carole Nash only do classic cars, not moderns.

If your NCB is 10 years old it's gone, nothing more to it. If you've been named on partner's/parent's policy since then get yourself your named driving experience letters and you're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Male, 41
    Honda CBF 600
    NCB - 12 years per renewal letter but more like 22 years
    Full licence

For third party:
    Adelaide: €403 (been with Adelaide for the last 10+ years)
    Carole Nash: €270 reduced to €189 after I asked to cancel policy
    Principal: €180

Went with Carole Nash as I renewed with them before getting quote from Principal.

Anyone asked Nash why they dont do or have this on their Irish Website

https://www.carolenash.com/other-insurance/6-wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

listermint wrote: »
    Anyone asked Nash why they dont do or have this on their Irish Website

https://www.carolenash.com/other-insurance/6-wheel

UK only, I've asked No explanation to why !
    Shop around lads, ring everyone and ring again I've a few mates got stupid quotes then really low quotes all on the same day,
    looks like it's cheaper to switch insurers every year and get the "new customer" or "web customer" discount they can apply when you push them for it.
    All these big companies like sky tv do nothing for existing customers but give half price for a year to New Customers,
    I switch every year, cancel my account the the wife signs up as a new customer etc etc
    There's a lot of money to be saved by taking a few hours to do this every year, don't just renew cos it's the easy option !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

43 years old, 15 years NCB. 1999 BMW k1200RS. Full luggage.

Fire and Theft 210 euro plus broker fee of 80 euro. They rang me and I said their fee was a third of the quote, he came down to 269. Told him to ring me next week when I had cash. Got the call, can you do any better, 250 euro final price.

Happy with that for my old beemer which is just my day off blast!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weatfest

Age 45, fully comp for GSXR1000K9 clean licence and no claims ever in 28 years riding. Liberty 464, Cornmarket 486, Principle 477 and Carol Nash 449.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭pittsburgh

27 year old, learner permit, 600cc suzuki bandit 00, will be two years no claims next month

I pay 550, is that about normal for age / bike?

Have my full test monday, if i pass will this bring the premium down?

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement