Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm pretty sure if you don't want to shop in FITZGERALDS anymore, he won't care.... actually no he won't! :rolleyes: In fact considering the place is NEVER quiet and has obviously changed from Esso to Topaz in the last few days you should probably build a bridge and get over it... I can't believe that anyone would single out a business, name the owner and then come out with such a crass comment as
    Is that a pig i see flying past the window!

Personally it isn't anyone I would want coming into my business. But hey maybe Charlie's a better person than I am... I suggest you go in tomorrow and ask for him: reference this thread and see what his response is!!!

Let us know ya :rolleyes:

Oh and seeing as you seem to think it okay to single out one business like that may I also suggest you say "their prices" not "there prices." It employs quite a few people in our town and to try and encourage people not to go there and not supporting local businesses is reprehensible. I'm sure if they closed in the morning you'd be on here lamenting the loss of local jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

what was that age old saying ? was it " when in a hole stop digging"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Cyning if you enjoy being fleeced, more power to you!

Give me a break with the old "but he employs local people so he has to charge a bit more", I call b**l**** on that. Thats exactly why people are flocking to Tralee every weekend to do there shopping.

Kellys of the six crosses 144.9 per litre (also employ local people)
    FITZGERALDS 147.9 per litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

We have frequently been asked to shop around for better value. The price of diesel in Tralee used to be reduced by a few cents a litre at the weekend. Unfortunately this does not seem to be the case now. But Kelly's at the Six Crosses always seems to be cheaper.

With the cost of a full tank of diesel being nearly €100, it would probably be economic to drive to Cork for a full tank when there is a difference of four cents per litre.

Incidentally I think "you say "their prices" not "there prices." The grammar lesson is unnecessarily here. It has nothing to do with the price of fuel.

cyning wrote: »
    I have! I've ordered mine from there and I have ordered dresses for myself from there for weddings (as a guest). I can't reccomend them highly enough: the quality is good and they look like they do in the photos. Definately up a dress size though because they are small fitting! Great price too!

I'm paying for my bridesmaids dresses, jewellery, accomodation, fake tan make up and hair. I amn't paying for shoes for two reasons: one of my bmaid's (although I love her to bits) moans: and at least if her shoes don't fit she can't complain to me that her feet hurt (as much anyway!). ALso both of them have moved countries so shoe shopping is out of the question! The dresses are long so i told them to wear their own silver sandles!

So you got your wedding dress from dressilicious, what part of listowel is that business situated in?

For someone that makes a big fuss about supporting local business, you couldnt stretch to buying your wedding dress in listowel! :eek:

That is absolutely reprehensible!

Is the air thin up there on that high horse of yours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

For someone that makes a big fuss about supporting local business, you couldnt stretch to buying your wedding dress in listowel! :eek:

That is absolutely reprehensible!

Is the air thin up there on that high horse of yours!

You're cruel.

http://www.finessebridalwear.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

If you had bothered to actually read the thread in question and not just pulled a random quote from my old posts you'd realise I was talking about my bridesmaid's dresses not my own dress!!

My own dress I bought in Finesse and it is gorgeous, just in case your interested!!

Also, yes everyone is entitled to their own opinion which is why i said nothing about your first post.. I didn't bother respond untill you made the pigs flying comment... it was unneccesary. I also didn't respond to you calling bull**** on supporting local businesses... but I really think you trawling through my old posts is pathetic. But hey, if thats what you want to spend your time doing enjoy... because I am not responding to you after that... attack the post not the poster is Boards ethos: that is not what you are doing.

cyning wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure if you don't want to shop in FITZGERALDS anymore, he won't care.... actually no he won't! :rolleyes: In fact considering the place is NEVER quiet and has obviously changed from Esso to Topaz in the last few days you should probably build a bridge and get over it... I can't believe that anyone would single out a business, name the owner and then come out with such a crass comment as

Personally it isn't anyone I would want coming into my business. But hey maybe Charlie's a better person than I am... I suggest you go in tomorrow and ask for him: reference this thread and see what his response is!!!

Let us know ya :rolleyes:

Oh and seeing as you seem to think it okay to single out one business like that may I also suggest you say "their prices" not "there prices." It employs quite a few people in our town and to try and encourage people not to go there and not supporting local businesses is reprehensible. I'm sure if they closed in the morning you'd be on here lamenting the loss of local jobs.

Attack the post not the poster is it!?

Church Newsletter

Esso bridge road 149.9 per litre petrol

Fitzgeralds 147.9 p/l

kellys six crosses 146.9p/l.

No real change this week,kellys dropped 2 cent a litre for a few days,then went back to 146.

• Advertisement

Some Listowel traders are getting understandably enraged over the length of time that their businesses are going to suffer thanks to the snail's-pace work on the bridge.

It's quite obvious that road-users have had enough of it as well, judging by the numbers ignoring the temporary traffic-lights when they're on red.

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/shopkeepers-furious-as-trade-is-lost-to-roadworks-2826211.html

here's a bit of it:
    However, while traders accept the improvements to the bridge are needed, they want the work to continue later into the evening and over the weekend to speed up the job.
    "We're badly affected by it," Spar owner Sean Heaphy told The Kerryman. "Our sales are way down, by about 20 per cent, at a time of the year when I would expect us to be at our busiest and it's all as a result of the traffic jams. People can't get into the forecourt... and it would put anyone off shopping here," Mr Heaphy said.
    He is calling for the work to be speeded up. "I know the job has to be done, but it could be done much faster. They're finished there at four or five and the traffic lights remain in place all night long. They could be working until 8 or 9pm and on Saturdays to get the job finished as fast as possible."
    Vintners' Chairman Christy Walsh said publicans too are sick and tired of the effect traffic delays are having on their trade.
    "Get them out working Saturdays and four or five evenings a week and get the job done by August. That's what we're calling for. Passing trade is being badly hit at a time when the town can least afford it and the pub and restaurant trade is hit just as badly," he said.
    However, a spokesperson for Kerry County Council said the authority already directed the contractors to work different hours. "They had been working from 9am until 5pm initially, but that was changed from 10am until 4pm when we expressly asked they would work outside of peak times in order to minimise the impact on traders," he said.
    "The effect of that of course is that it will stretch the work out a bit longer. The job would be too costly if the contractors were to work by night and weekends and would, in any event, lead to complications with traffic on Saturdays then," he added.

If that's the attitude of the contractors, I sincerely hope that KCC doesn't give them another contract.

Church Newsletter

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Some Listowel traders are getting understandably enraged over the length of time that their businesses are going to suffer thanks to the snail's-pace work on the bridge.

It's quite obvious that road-users have had enough of it as well, judging by the numbers ignoring the temporary traffic-lights when they're on red.

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/shopkeepers-furious-as-trade-is-lost-to-roadworks-2826211.html

here's a bit of it:

If that's the attitude of the contractors, I sincerely hope that KCC doesn't give them another contract.

The contractors numbers seem to have grown this week, seems to be a lot more progress. Im just wondering are they pointing the river side of the bridge as well as the road side, it would make sense while they have the road blocked.

Were still waiting in anticipation of the new prices at Fitzgeralds!

On a different note, what the hell is the story with the A.T.M at the AIB, it is never working lately. How are people suppost to check if there direct debits went out or there wages lodged.

Were still waiting in anticipation of the new prices at Fitzgeralds!

On a different note, what the hell is the story with the A.T.M at the AIB, it is never working lately. How are people suppost to check if there direct debits went out or there wages lodged.

There There or should it be "their their".

A long time ago my mother taught me to put "their"where possession was involved.

There There or should it be "their their".

A long time ago my mother taught me to put "their"where possession was involved.

Did your mother ever tell you to put spaces between your words!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 halfstack

Ok on the grammar - no fighting but it is 'their' when talking about something that belongs to someone (possessive) so yes it is 'check that their direct debits have gone through'. The other 'there' usually refers to a place or a position I think : as in 'I went there yesterday' or 'don't even go there'.

Anyhow what I wanted to ask is if anyone knows the lyrics to a ballad, by Bryan McMahon, entitled "The town of Listowel", beg., "Oh, Puck may be famous and Galway be grand"?

John B Keane of course wrote the famous poem

"Beautiful Listowel, serenaded night and day by the gentle waters of the River Feale.
    Listowel where it is easier to write than not to write,
    Where first love never dies, and the tall streets hide the loveliness,
    The heartbreak and the moods, great and small,
    Of all the gentle souls of a great and good community.
    Sweet, incomparable hometown that shaped and made me."

But I have not come across the ballad from McMahon before. Anyone know the words, the tune, anything?

Lovely Listowel
    by Brian McMahon

Oh, Puck may be famous and Galway be grand,

And the praise of Tramore echo down through the land,

But I'll sing you a ballad and beauty extol,

As I found it long'go in the Town of Listowel.

I've been to Bundoran, I've rambled to Bray

I've footed it to Bantry with beautiful Bay,

But I'd barter their charms, I would 'pon me soul,

For the week of the Races in lovely Listowel.

There were Bookies and Bagmen and Bankers and all,

Biddy Mulligan was there with a green-coloured shawl,

And a cute little boy pitching pence in a bowl,

Took me down for a crown in the Town of Listowel.

Beyond on the course there was silk flashing past,

The unfortunate horse that I backed he came last,

When he ran the wrong way sure I lost my control,

And I prayed for his trainer and Lovely Listowel.

On, night time, how are you - the night sure 'twas day,

And the stars in the sky they looked down in dismay,

And they sez to the moon then in accents so droll,

"You're done, for the sun shines tonight on Listowel."

They came from Castleisland, they came from Tralee,

And a good lookin' gentleman came from Figi,

We'd a Dutchman, a German, a Swede and a Pole,

Sure 'twas more like Geneva than Lovely Listowel.

My rhyming is over, God bless those who heard,

So I'll take to the road like a migratin' bird,

But before I depart, well you all must pay toll,

So three cheers for the Races and Lovely Listowel.

This may be what your looking for!

I cant vouch for the spelling! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

It is a wonder that it never entered the heads of those in the County Council who are looking after the refurbishment of the Listowel Bridge to alliviate some or the traffic problems and hold ups by advertising the availability of a alternative route into and out of the town via the Finuge bridge.
    For anyone interested, the present day Listowel Bridge (Big Bridge) which was opened in 1829, was built by Richard Griffith at a cost of £2,418, his tendering estimate was £3,000.
    In a submission to the Chief Secretary on February 6th 1823, Griffith wrote, that the previous wooden bridge had in 'great part been carried away by the flood of last autumn' and 'was the only one which remained over the river Feale between the source and the sea'
    (Gaughan, 'Listowel and its Vicinity')
    It was mined during the second world war, and would have been blown up if the enemy had arrived at the bottom of Ballygrennan, in order to stop them from getting into town. We were lucky that Hitler was otherwise preoccupied!!
    I look forward to the finished work, it is a tribute to those who built it so many years ago when people only had ass and horse transport.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Were still waiting in anticipation of the new prices at Fitzgeralds! .

Petrol 147.9
    Diesel 139.9

Open to correction as I was fairly drunk walking by the pumps last night.

• Advertisement

Yakult wrote: »
    Petrol 147.9
    Diesel 139.9

Open to correction as I was fairly drunk walking by the pumps last night.

I'm certain that I saw the same prices when I wasn't drunk, so they must be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i drove through listowel at weekend, was looking for somewhere to get a nice freshly cooked breakfast, i could not find anywhere, but then again i dont know the town very well, so it could be fault in my part that i could not find a place,
    also since ye are speaking of contractors, are the contractors private, because usually private contractors do not charge more for working on a saturday than a monday

goat2 wrote: »
    i drove through listowel at weekend, was looking for somewhere to get a nice freshly cooked breakfast, i could not find anywhere, but then again i dont know the town very well, so it could be fault in my part that i could not find a place,
    also since ye are speaking of contractors, are the contractors private, because usually private contractors do not charge more for working on a saturday than a monday

There must be loads of eateries around the town, and no doubt the recommendations will come flying in after the mainstays of this forum have woken from their afternoon naps.:D

....as for the contractors, I haven't a clue who they are, but it probably took the original bridge-builders a shorter time to build it, than these characters are taking to fix it.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

I'm sure the hotel would do you a nice breakfast, or indeed, any of the other lovely eateries in town. The Flying Saucer café at Super Valu is lovely as is Scribes or The Coffee Nook. My own favourite is Café Hanna in John R's in Church St., lovely bright airy café, friendly staff and most importantly, delicious food.

Speaking of John R's if anyone is looking at this thread to find self catering accommodation in town, look no further than http://www.johnrs.com/accommodation.htm
    These modern high spec. townhouse apartments offer comfort and luxury in the town centre. If you don't feel like cooking, you have a lovely café downstairs.

These are the Naas based contractors doing the bridge-work:

http://www.johncradock.ie/

Current Projects

• Munster Bridges Refurbishment - National Roads Authority
    • Market Square, Dundalk - Dundalk Town Council
    • Mulhuddart Bridge - Fingal County Council
    • Ballycore Bridge - Kildare County Council

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I'm sure the hotel would do you a nice breakfast, or indeed, any of the other lovely eateries in town. The Flying Saucer café at Super Valu is lovely as is Scribes or The Coffee Nook. My own favourite is Café Hanna in John R's in Church St., lovely bright airy café, friendly staff and most importantly, delicious food.

Speaking of John R's if anyone is looking at this thread to find self catering accommodation in town, look no further than http://www.johnrs.com/accommodation.htm
    These modern high spec. townhouse apartments offer comfort and luxury in the town centre. If you don't feel like cooking, you have a lovely café downstairs.
    so when driving through listowel coming in on the tralee route going for tarbert, are there many along that street, where is the parking, as there was not a parking space on the street as we drove through, we were trying to get somewhere to park, is there a good sized carpark along that route, and is it a good place to shop generally, it would be nice to be able to take an hour out of travelling and be able to park up, have some refreshment and see what listowel has to offer,

On the Tralee to Listowel road home tonight, passed the road works just before the kilflynn straight at about 7 p.m. The contractors were still working.

Fifteen minutes later passed the bridge works in Listowel, not a sinner to be seen.

goat2 wrote: »
    so when driving through listowel coming in on the tralee route going for tarbert, are there many along that street, where is the parking, as there was not a parking space on the street as we drove through, we were trying to get somewhere to park, is there a good sized carpark along that route, and is it a good place to shop generally, it would be nice to be able to take an hour out of travelling and be able to park up, have some refreshment and see what listowel has to offer,

Next time you're passing and feeling a little peckish, you could probably eat some of the bridge as the contractors seem to be making a meal of it.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 halfstack

So what's up in Listowel these days

Thanks so much for that - brilliant!

• Advertisement

Church newsletter

Advertisement