Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 halfstack

This may be what your looking for!

I cant vouch for the spelling! ;)

thanks a lot for that

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Traffic lights are gone thank god, back to some normality now :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Yakult wrote: »
    Traffic lights are gone thank god, back to some normality now :D
    Probably just for the long weekend though!

Kellys six crosses 149.9 per litre petrol
    Fitzgeralds 150.9 per litre petrol
    Esso Bridge Rd 150.9 per litre petrol

Looks like the change in fuel provider has made no difference to the prices. Still seems the two garages in listowel town charge exactly the same prices even though they have different providers.

With only two garages in the town it looks like they know there is no need for competition between the two garages, knowing people have to get there fuel there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Yes, the feckin' traffic-lights are back.:(

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Yes, the feckin' traffic-lights are back.:(
    And it seems the lights don't stay green as long this time!

• Advertisement

And it seems the lights don't stay green as long this time!

That doesn't seem to matter to a lot of drivers, who seem to be colour-blind and drive through the lights anyway.:eek:

what puzzles me about the bridge works is there reasoning for only working 10 to 4 each day, so as not to hold up the traffic.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if the barriers and cones are on the road anyway, why would the fact there working behind them have any extra effect on traffic?

Are listowel motorists so nosey that every passing car would stop to check how the pointing was coming along?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

WOW!. There's a post that dates back a while---and started it all here on this thread. Regards to all.

Church newsletter

• Advertisement

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

On Monday next August 29 in The Seanchaí in Listowel, a public meeting will be held to kick start the Reaching Out initiative for North Kerry. I hope that lots of local people will attend as this project will require a good few shoulders to the wheel. The emigrants will be able to do their bit too. Together we might be able to rescue the flagging tourism industry in North Kerry.

Reaching Out is a heritage tourism project that has been successfully piloted in East Galway.

Many many people worldwide claim Irish heritage but some of these people have no links to any specific place. Some are descended from people who left during the great hunger. These emigrants often left in whole families leaving no living relative behind. Others were too busy and too poor while trying to settle in a land far from their homeland to keep in touch with home. It is the descendants of these people we are trying to reach. Some of these people are also trying to reach us, using internet sites and the services of genealogists. We all know the story of how one of these genealogists traced Barack Obama's line back to Moneygall.

The aim of Monday night's meeting is to set up a local committee to help people who are searching for them to find their North Kerry roots, to organise a Week of Welcomes next year, giving them a taste of Irish culture while they look for their ancestral parish or townland in and around North Kerry. Of course all our other emigrants and friends who still have strong links to us are more than welcome as well.

We hope to set up a website which we will update regularly with all the local news and lots of historical data as well. Through this we hope to access lots of people with North Kerry lineage who might like to visit us.

If you have any ideas about this project, Monday night next in The Seanchaí at 8.00 p.m.is the place to air them. If anyone is reading this and cannot attend but would like to have an input please send me a private message here.

I see that the snails are still working on the bridge, and it is now adorned in cheap-jack looking railings, which I've heard that Listowel Council thinks are aesthetically pleasing. They wouldn't know aesthetics if it bit them on the butt.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

I see that the snails are still working on the bridge, and it is now adorned in cheap-jack looking railings, which I've heard that Listowel Council thinks are aesthetically pleasing. They wouldn't know aesthetics if it bit them on the butt.:pac:

Ha ha I couldnt agree more.

I was very curious tho as to why those railings are needed in any case?? Is it just the fact they had nothing planned to hold up race's traffic this year??

Lavattack wrote: »
    Ha ha I couldnt agree more.

I was very curious tho as to why those railings are needed in any case?? Is it just the fact they had nothing planned to hold up race's traffic this year??

I think they're using them as cattle feeders.

Church newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

I think they're using them as cattle feeders.

Ha ha Well on a genuine note they look like the suicide prevention barriers to me but realistically when did some-one last jump off the bridge trying to commit suicide? You'd have a better chance jumping from St.Johns roof really.

Lavattack wrote: »
    Ha ha Well on a genuine note they look like the suicide prevention barriers to me but realistically when did some-one last jump off the bridge trying to commit suicide? You'd have a better chance jumping from St.Johns roof really.

I think that there is regulation minimum height for the parapet of a bridge. The new drainage works meant that the wall had to be raised somehow. The railings were the option chosen for doing this. Anyone who visits town will have to notice all the beautiful flowers everywhere, on lamp posts, in containers on the streets and on buildings. I'm sure the council will adorn the new railings with plants and they will look fabulous.

I think that there is regulation minimum height for the parapet of a bridge. The new drainage works meant that the wall had to be raised somehow. The railings were the option chosen for doing this. Anyone who visits town will have to notice all the beautiful flowers everywhere, on lamp posts, in containers on the streets and on buildings. I'm sure the council will adorn the new railings with plants and they will look fabulous.

They'll be using plastic flowers, knowing them.:pac:

• Advertisement

We had a great turn out at the meeting in The Seanchaí tonight; a great start to North Kerry Reaching Out. I think we all learned something we did not know about genealogy or about North Kerry. Onwards and upwards from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

I think that when one wants to comment on any subject, in this case, the improvements on the Bridge, one should be a little sensitive when choosing particular words. Some number of years ago at Christmas time there was a tragedy. I know the family concerned and even to this day the grief is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ChurchStreet

boroman wrote: »
    I think that when one wants to comment on any subject, in this case, the improvements on the Bridge, one should be a little sensitive when choosing particular words. Some number of years ago at Christmas time there was a tragedy. I know the family concerned and even to this day the grief is still there.

I dont know what the number is but I think a number of people have passed away at the big bridge. I remember hearing when I was young that a Black and Tan was thrown over the Bridge. I never found out was this myth or reality. If true, not a particular nice thing to happen, even though it was in the midst of war. Human life is precious in all forms.

Cantillons garage petrol 148.9 per litre

Esso bridge road petrol 148.9 per litre

Kellys six crosses petrol 145.9 per litre.

The two garages in listowel town really passing on the recent petrol price drop, its strange that no matter if the international price of petrol goes up or comes down that the price never fluctuates in listowel.

Im thinking the two garages in town must have there own well between them and so keep there prices exactly the same the whole time.

One wonders why cantillons went to the trouble of changing supplier if they were going to be charged the same price for there petrol as Esso. What makes it stranger is that Topaz in Tralee are only charging 145.9 a litre today.

Church newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

Does anybody know if any of the local petrol stations around Listowel have a marked gas oil pump for the home heating oil?

Fair play to the Listowel Tidy Town folks for beating Kenmare by a point and getting 304.:D

http://www.tidytowns.ie/newsItem.php?id=475

.....and still the bridge-work drags on..................................:o

They are tarring The Big Bridge. Looks like work will finish today and it looks very well.

The town is blooming. A big thank you to all the hard working TABLE members. Your gold medal is well deserved. Listowel is so lucky to have so many civic spirited people who keep the town so lovely for the rest of us.

The hurdy gurdies are back in The Market and the Harvest Festival can return to the town centre.

The Island is well watered and the forecast is for better weather next week.

Could a Listowellian ask for any more joy this crisp autumnal morning?

• Advertisement

I took this photo this morning of the newly refurbrished bridge in all its splendour.
    I for one think it is lovely. I love the new lights.

Advertisement