Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

When you consider that the bridge was built close on 200 yrs ago for horse and foot traffic, it is a testament to the architects and builders that it has endured so well. I'm sure the architects couldn't even have imagined the volume of heavy lorries passing over it daily between the Co-op and other routine town traffic. Those "big rigs" create a lot of vibration when their engines are labouring which transfers down through the bridge and when they are fully loaded their braking action generates a huge forward motion on the bridge. There is a natural amount of movement or "give" in a steel bridge, but none in a masonry bridge of that type, which tells us that it must be very solidly built. I believe that the columns were hollow originally, but were filled with concrete some years back. Plus there have been hundreds of raging floods down through the years creating stress from the side of the bridge, and the bridge has often been hit by large trees being carried down-river during floods. All I can say is they don't make 'em like they used to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

UpTheAshes wrote: »
    When you consider that the bridge was built close on 200 yrs ago for horse and foot traffic, it is a testament to the architects and builders that it has endured so well. I'm sure the architects couldn't even have imagined the volume of heavy lorries passing over it daily between the Co-op and other routine town traffic. Those "big rigs" create a lot of vibration when their engines are labouring which transfers down through the bridge and when they are fully loaded their braking action generates a huge forward motion on the bridge. There is a natural amount of movement or "give" in a steel bridge, but none in a masonry bridge of that type, which tells us that it must be very solidly built. I believe that the columns were hollow originally, but were filled with concrete some years back. Plus there have been hundreds of raging floods down through the years creating stress from the side of the bridge, and the bridge has often been hit by large trees being carried down-river during floods. All I can say is they don't make 'em like they used to.
    Not to mention all the hand ball played against the side of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I took this photo this morning of the newly refurbrished bridge in all its splendour.
    I for one think it is lovely. I love the new lights.

Cheap and nasty looking, and they don't seem to be working.:eek:

Not to mention all the hand ball played against the side of it!

You make a good point, but anytime I've been in Listowel over the last few years I haven't see anyone in the ball alley. Does anybody play handball there anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

You make a good point, but anytime I've been in Listowel over the last few years I haven't see anyone in the ball alley. Does anybody play handball there anymore?
    Unless it is on a playstation the kids of these days dont want to know!

Unless it is on a playstation the kids of these days dont want to know!

Isn't it used for graffiti?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Isn't it used for graffiti?[/QUO

I think I saw a large painting of Che Guevara's oul head up on the wall one time I was down there. I'm not sure what connection Che had with Listowel.
    :confused:

I think I saw a large painting of Che Guevara's oul head up on the wall one time I was down there. I'm not sure what connection Che had with Listowel.

unfortunately the picture of Che Guevara is now covered. It used to remind me of a compliment a colleague of mine once made me when he accused me of being a communist, "You Think Everyone Is Equal".

unfortunately the picture of Che Guevara is now covered. It used to remind me of a compliment a colleague of mine once made me when he accused me of being a communist, "You Think Everyone Is Equal".

Didn't Che and Fidel play a few games down there before they decided to do something more constructive and overthrow the Batista regime in Cuba?:confused:

• Advertisement

That reminds me---Q. Did you hear about the Kerryman with an inferiority complex? ---A. He thought he was the same as everyone else. (LoL):P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ChurchStreet

A warning to my fellow Listowel citizens! I was unfortunate enough to be caught for the outrageous speeding offence of being 5mph over the speed limit at the above. Fixed penaly notice arrived today. I think An Garda Siochana should stand up and take a bow for their courageous action and zeal!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 halfstack

Well his grandmother was Irish...she was a Lynch from Galway. And Che came to Limerick but I don't know if he was ever in Listowel

From wikipedia ''While in Ireland, Guevara embraced his own Irish heritage, celebrating Saint Patrick's Day in Limerick City.[146] He wrote to his father on this visit, humorously stating "I am in this green Ireland of your ancestors. When they found out, the television [station] came to ask me about the Lynch genealogy, but in case they were horse thieves or something like that, I didn't say much."[147]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

A warning to my fellow Listowel citizens! I was unfortunate enough to be caught for the outrageous speeding offence of being 5mph over the speed limit at the above. Fixed penaly notice arrived today. I think An Garda Siochana should stand up and take a bow for their courageous action and zeal!
    And it wasnt like you were actually breaking any law either. Oh, wait....:pac:

Sounds to me like it was self-inflicted:P

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6497

Church newsletter (amended)

Is the Listowel Race Company going to get a refund from the church for that "good weather" mass they had said a week or so ago?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

Is the:

1. Is the Valve Radio Museum still in operation in Cherrytree drive ?
    I think I attended it on it's opening day many many moons ago ?

2. How many pubs are classed as operational in Listowel now ?
    It used to be 52 pubs (some semi or very very dormant), a figure I remember from many years ago.

3. What is (what used to be) Quilters pub at the top of Church street, what is that building doing now ?

4. I heard John R's have a cafe, but where is it exactly? Is it behind the main premises in the area that used to be the Pub behind the shop, or is it inside the shop, I presume over by the wines ?

Thanks in advance. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

http://listowelconnection.blogspot.com/

How times have changed! Read all about The Races in the fifties in my latest blog post.

v300 wrote: »
    Is the:

1. Is the Valve Radio Museum still in operation in Cherrytree drive ?
    I think I attended it on it's opening day many many moons ago ?

Yes, very much so. You missed the lovely Nationwide programme about it in Nov. last.

2. How many pubs are classed as operational in Listowel now ?
    It used to be 52 pubs (some semi or very very dormant), a figure I remember from many years ago.

I'm not sure about this one but far less than 52. I'd put it at less than 20.

3. What is (what used to be) Quilters pub at the top of Church street, what is that building doing now ?

The Star and Garter I think.

4. I heard John R's have a cafe, but where is it exactly? Is it behind the main premises in the area that used to be the Pub behind the shop, or is it inside the shop, I presume over by the wines ?

Your presumption is correct. The lovely café Hanna is in the area where McAuliffe's house used to be. It is now part of the extended John R's.

Thanks in advance. :D

It sounds to me like it's time to pay Listowel a visit.

• Advertisement

http://listowelconnection.blogspot.com/

Today it's tales of donkey derbies, English toffs and wrenboys. Tomorrow its more blackberries, rabbits and cabbages.

Here is photo of the ball alley taken this week

Church newsletter

Church newsletter

See http://listowelconnection.blogspot.com/ to hear the latest gossip:D

On the sad occasion of the passing of Desmond Fitzgerald, my thoughts turned to another nobleman, Lord Listowel. Tom Fitzgerald came across this very flowery encomium to an apparently loved and benevolent landlord. Read it on my blog at
    http://listowelconnection.blogspot.com/2011/09/knight-of-glin-rip-and-lord-listowel.html

Apologies about the previous post. I realise now that the song was not appearing in my blogpost. I've rectified that now. I'm attaching a photo of the plaque on the big bridge by way of making amends

http://listowelconnection.blogspot.com/2011/09/knight-of-realm-and-knight-of-roads.html
    Today I return briefly to The late Knight of Glin and to another knight, Michael Faulkner, a knight of the Irish roads.
    I wish you entertainment on this wet gloomy morning in The Kingdom!
    Watch out for news here shortly on North Kerry Reaching Out's first 2 events

Church newsletter

• Advertisement

The history of Listowel Railway station in a nutshell...where?...on my blog

http://listowelconnection.blogspot.com/2011/10/listowel-railway-station.html

Advertisement