Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 perrylane

Hello, Here are some photos I took during the writers week. I had a great time myself and took part in a writing funny workshop, I would recommend it to anybody that has an interest in improving their creative structure and process in writing. Anyway here is a little gallery or 2 I have created for the photos.

http://perrylane.org/photoshoots/writersweek2011/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Not very nice to see this in the Irish Times, taken from a list of 40 items relating to Writers' Week:(
    8 Base camp. The Listowel Arms Hotel is where all the writers were staying, and its bar stayed open long into the night.

9 Cost of a room in said establishment – the town’s only hotel – during the festival. My single, extremely modest, room, overlooking a derelict site, was a whopping, unrecessionary €160 per night for Friday and Saturday. Many festivalgoers complained of being stung by temporarily inflated hotel-room prices.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2011/0608/1224298562191.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19 halfstack

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Not very nice to see this in the Irish Times, taken from a list of 40 items relating to Writers' Week:(

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2011/0608/1224298562191.html
    160 EUROS - ouch! But I suppose to be expected. It is steep but maybe not outrageous. I was sorry I couldn't make it. I have several books by David Sedaris - he is hilarious. Thanks for the link - also a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church Newsletter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Paudmac

Was thrilled to see hear Aoife Hannon from Clieveragh has been named Miss Ireland! Congrats to all the family

• Advertisement

Church Newsletter

It looks like Fine Gael's councillors are revolting after Cruella deGorman got the top job.
    Fine Gael's four councillors staged a walkout at Listowel Town Council last night. The councillors left the chamber in protest as Fianna Fáil's Maria Gorman was voted Cathaoirleach. This is not the first time the largest party on Listowel Town Council has left the chamber. It's in protest against the Fianna Fail / Sinn Fein pact which has given the two smaller parties control of the chamber.

Fine Gael councillors Tim O'Leary, Jackie Barrett, Mike Kennelly and Denis Stack walked out of the chamber after their nomination for Ms Barrett for mayor was defeated five votes to four in favour of Fianna Fail's Maria Gorman.

An emotional Maria Gorman expressed her disappointment at the behaviour of the Fine Gael councillors. She said she was elected democratically, and democracy must be respected. She appealed to the absent councillors to leave this rift behind so the chamber can get on with the business of working together for the people of Listowel.

Sinn Fein's Tom Barry was elected Deputy Mayor. The councillor who's entering his third year on Listowel Town Council is looking forward to his 12 month term.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

Musical chairs, hot air and a dummy run at City Hall. There but for the power of the people might I have been.
    I was up in Dublin last night to see Louis O Carroll and friends at the Concert Hall. A wonderful occasion, it would make anyone feel proud to be from the Kingdom !!

Church newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 20 otherhalf

halfstack wrote: »
    160 EUROS - ouch! But I suppose to be expected. It is steep but maybe not outrageous. I was sorry I couldn't make it. I have several books by David Sedaris - he is hilarious. Thanks for the link - also a good read.

I love David Sedaris, makes me laugh out loud in public places.

• Advertisement

kerrytek wrote: »
    Listowel is the only town in Ireland that didn't do many things. Why is that?

What do you mean? :confused:

tumbleweed.gif

I Love that!

boroman wrote: »
    Musical chairs, hot air and a dummy run at City Hall. There but for the power of the people might I have been.
    I was up in Dublin last night to see Louis O Carroll and friends at the Concert Hall. A wonderful occasion, it would make anyone feel proud to be from the Kingdom !!

Oh I bet it was wonderful. I saw he had a new CD out, might have to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Hi All,
    Looking to rent/share a place in listowel as moving there for a few months (work). Not fussy whether its a single or double room. Preferably in good area with reasonable rent. Tried looking online but people I contacted have problems answering and returning calls.
    Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

She prob will not see this but anyway.this was my first time in listowel cinema.it was to see bridesmaids with the OH. these two women in there late 40s early 50s came in and had a full blown LOUD conversation right up to the opening credits of the feature...that was fine-ish. the one closest to me then took off her ol' sandals and put her bare feet up in the seats in front of her.
    if a teenager did it there would be outrage. dirty fùcking bitch.
    rant over

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MariaBlaah

Thanks SNOWSCORPION.
    The 1st photo includes The Bank Of ireland , National Bank, Dr. Corridens (red door). Mr. Gannons ( salmon color). All these buildings are in the Square.
    It is said that there is a secret passage that goes underground from the Castle in the Square, continues across the Square ( another entrance is by Dr. Corridens and continues up to the very top of Church Street ( there are ruins of a Church at the top of Church St). As a child we knew where the entrance was and also the place near Dr. Corridens- we ventured but not too far--those were the days before TV.
    In the Castle there was a chimney where we used to shimmy up and eventually be at the top of the castle ( if our parents found out we would be in deeptrouble).
    The photo of all the buildings together is from the Square ( from Leahy's Corner ( see the Green Letter Box) up to the Bank of Ireland).
    Re Ballybunion map:
    I do not know the name of the long road ( it is new to me).
    The one at top of Church Rd towards the Doon Rd , I always thought of it as Church Rd.
    I THINK that that is the 9 Daughters Hole, it seem to be in the are I remember-we all had to take a peek at one time or another.
    The man who owned the RAILWAY BAR was Michael G. Clancy and his wife Marguerite, his brother DEENY owned the farm up Doon Road on the left.( I made an error in an earlier thread).
    Thanks for the photos!

:O can anyone tell us more about this secret tunnel?!? would love to find it!! apparently it runs under my friends grans house near the bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭J.R.

MariaBlaah wrote: »
    :O can anyone tell us more about this secret tunnel?!? would love to find it!! apparently it runs under my friends grans house near the bank!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=267053&page=94

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

So in the week every forecourt in Killarney and Tralee dropped the price of there petrol, the garage in the six crosses by 4 cent a litre, once again cantillons and the garage on the bridge road show there distain for there customers by leaving there prices at the same extortionate prices they have been for months.

Just so everyone is aware!

So in the week every forecourt in Killarney and Tralee dropped the price of there petrol, the garage in the six crosses by 4 cent a litre, once again cantillons and the garage on the bridge road show there distain for there customers by leaving there prices at the same extortionate prices they have been for months.

Just so everyone is aware!

It's a better vintage in Listowel.:o

• Advertisement

The driver of a 97 KY *** Toyota Corolla made a complete mess of things yesterday evening on the bridge.

I think everybody at the three lots of traffic-lights must have heard sirens, and realised that something was going to appear from some direction, but not the woman in the Toyota, who just started to drive over the bridge when the fire-engine approached her at high speed from the other side:eek:. Everybody else stayed put.

Instead of reversing, she just sat there like an eejit for what seemed like a lifetime, until she finally decided to reverse at a snail's pace, so the fire engine could get through.

I hope that her incompetence didn't have an adverse affect on the outcome of the emergency that the fire engine was trying to get to.:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Those traffic lights are a right nuisance. I'd rather drive out Gortcurreen and onto the six crosses than be stuck in the square waiting 20 minutes to get as far as the bridge.

Yakult wrote: »
    Those traffic lights are a right nuisance. I'd rather drive out Gortcurreen and onto the six crosses than be stuck in the square waiting 20 minutes to get as far as the bridge.

I don't know why it takes 3 months to do a bit of work on a bridge, it's not exactly the Golden Gate.

awaits response from defensive people.:P

I don't know why it takes 3 months to do a bit of work on a bridge, it's not exactly the Golden Gate.

awaits response from defensive people.:P
    Did you see how long it took them to do market street!

You would imagime that it being the main arterry into listowel, the council would have made it part of the contract that they would work split shifts 16 hour days. There over 2 weeks at it now and they still havent finished that stretch of footpath.

Oh and charlie cantillon still has not reduced hes petrol prices!

Did you see how long it took them to do market street!

You would imagime that it being the main arterry into listowel, the council would have made it part of the contract that they would work split shifts 16 hour days. There over 2 weeks at it now and they still havent finished that stretch of footpath.

They're obviously on an hourly rate. It's a good job they never got the contract for the Great Wall of China, because it wouldn't be that great at ten feet long and two rows high.

Mind you, it's not just Listowel where it takes a month of Sundays to get anything done.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

Met Charlie out socially last evening and told him that his pump fuel prices had been mentioned unfavorably on boards , I am glad to report that from this weekend he is in the process of changing his supplier.....and the good news is that his new prices will be lower than any of his competitors, don't take my word on it, check them out yourself

Church Newsletter

Met Charlie out socially last evening and told him that his pump fuel prices had been mentioned unfavorably on boards , I am glad to report that from this weekend he is in the process of changing his supplier.....and the good news is that his new prices will be lower than any of his competitors, don't take my word on it, check them out yourself

He'll probably give Michael999999 a "special discount", if he ever finds out who he is.:eek:

• Advertisement

Is that a pig i see flying past the window!

Advertisement