Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Yes indeed is brings back memories..........skinned knuckles on a wall !
    There was some good graffiti, (Spiderman i think), there the last time I was around...looks like is painted over.
    Do the local kids play anymore ?

Welcome back Arcade ,and the rest of the crew...........photos are great.

What about Che Guevara?

Spiderman and Che two very different idealists for the people of Listowel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

We broke the 100,000 barrier on views
    Where are you people ?
    Please post
    The life of the thread is people contributing.
    Over 100.000 people visited, why not post something
    Everybody's welcome.

Congratulations, Listowel Thread, on your 100,000 views! I was in Listowel about three weeks ago. When I saw how quiet Ballybunion is this time of year I was curious to see if Listowel was just as quiet. Turns out you guys had much bigger crowds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

Prompted by Boroman’s advice and my own curiosity, I went to my local library to see if any of the books recommended by Boroman was available. I had mixed success.

“Listowel and its Vicinity” was available at a few days notice – but I already have that one.
    “Listowel Races”, Listowel and the G.A.A.” and “North Kerry Camera” were not readily available but could be borrowed from Kerry Co. Library. It would take a few weeks, I was told.
    “The Lartigue”, according to the librarian, is available in Kerry Co Library but only as a reference book and cannot be borrowed.
    Lots of dedication required then seeking out the answers to the Quiz.
    I discovered a useful piece of information during my visit to the library. Borrowbooks.ie is a very good site for anyone wishing to find out if a particular book is held by any Irish library.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

Reference Books
    Having read John Granville's message to the forum yesterday I sincerly hope that I am not
    causing too much distress among likely quiz entrants, for locals the news is good, in answer
    to an email which I dispatched to the good ladies of the the Listowel Library their reply
    was,availability
    Listowel and its Vicinity.......2 reference copies,
    Listowel Races .......copies for reference and borrowing,
    North Kerry Camera .......2 reference copies and 1 borrowing,
    The Lartigue .......1 reference and 1 borrowing,
    Again I wish to stress that it is my sincere hope that I will not be the cause of anybody
    missing their nights sleep and I think my biggest problem will be to get a hat big enought
    to hold all the winning entries, so as Dday draws near the imortal words(or similar) of the
    famous Baron of Olympic fame comes to mind ''winning is not everything, taking part is what
    counts.
    THE COUNTDOWN HAS BEGUN.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

To return for a moment to a former topic, I am pleased to report, along with photographic evidence, that pedestrian access to Foley's Fields has been restored

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

To return for a moment to a former topic, I am pleased to report, along with photographic evidence, that pedestrian access to Foley's Fields has been restored

Thank you Cherry Tree for the photo and the information. It's good to see access restored. Thanks also to Arcade for the lovely photos of the autumnal river scenes etc. I tend to visit Listowel for the Races or maybe during the summer so it's good to be reminded of how the place can look at this time of year.

Thank you Cherry Tree for the photo and the information. It's good to see access restored. Thanks also to Arcade for the lovely photos of the autumnal river scenes etc. I tend to visit Listowel for the Races or maybe during the summer so it's good to be reminded of how the place can look at this time of year.

Here are some more to tempt John Granville and others to visit in autumn. In these times of recession, what beautiful sights we have available free gratis.

24 hour warning.
    clear the decks.

The first round of our John Sheehy memorial quiz is up tomorrow,
    November 15th,
    Good luck to all contestents,

I've cleared my diary.
    I have reference books at the ready.
    My Listowel cognescenti are on standby.
    My rosary beads are rattling.

Bring on the questions!

Some more photos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

THE ONE AND ONLY ---

A man in Topeka, Kansas, decided to write a book about churches around the world. He started by flying to San Francisco, and started working east from there.

Going to a very large church, he began taking photographs and making notes. He spotted a golden telephone on the vestibule wall and was intrigued with a sign which read "$10,000 a minute".

Seeking out the priest he asked about the phone and the sign. The priest answered that this golden telephone, is in in fact a direct line to god. The man thanked the priest and continued on his way.

As he continued to visit churches in Seattle, Virginia, Michigan, Milwaukee and all around the world, he found more phones with the same sign, and the same answer from each priest.

Finally --- he arrived in Ireland. Tralee to be precise. Upon entering a church, behold he saw the usual golden telephone. But this time the sign read "all calls 35c each". Fascinated, he asked to talk to a priest.

Father I have been in cities all over the world and in each church I found this golden telephone and have been told it's a direct line to heaven and that I could talk to god, but in the other churches the cost was $10,000 a minute. Your sign reads 35c a call. Why !!!!

The priest replied with a broad smile, "my son, you're in The Kingdom now --- it's a local call"

JOHN SHEEHY MEMORIAL QUIZ
    WEEKEND 15/16 NOVEMBER
    ROUND 1
    (1)WHAT YEAR DID THE LIMERICK/LISTOWEL/TRALEE RAIL LINE OPEN. ?
    (2)I LIE ALONE IN ST.MARYS,WHO AM I. ?
    (3)WHAT HAPPENED TO LORD LISTOWEL'S LEGAL AGENT ON 16/6/1929. ?
    (4)NAME THE YOUNG LADY WHO WAS HAPPY THEN SAD AND DIED ON 2/2/1959. ?
    (5)WHAT GRANDFATHER WAS SENTENCED TO DEATH AND NEVER SAW HIS GRANDSON
    RISE TO THE TOP OF HIS SPORTING GAME. ?
    (6)WHAT ARE THE CONNECTIONS BETWEEN AN EX BELLMAN AND THE ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE. ?
    (7)who was the tinman of william street. ?
    (8)A BUILDING OF CUT STONE(NOW DEMOLISHED) ON THE RIVERSIDE AT GLOUNAPHUKA WAS USED
    BY WHO AND FOR WHAT PURPOSE. ?
    (9)BY WHAT NAME DID PADDY CARMODY CALL HIS BAKERY. ?
    (10)WHO CELEBRATED 100 BY GOING TO THE RACES. ?
    (11)IN THE WORDS OF A SONG, A TOWN LEAGUE THEY HAVE NOW BEGUN,
    FOR WHICH BRIGHT MEDALS GLOW,
    THEY ARE SEEN DISPLAYED,ALLURINGLY IN SPILLANES WINDOW.
    WHO NOW OWN'S SPILLANES SHOP. ?
    (12)WHAT WAS THE NAME OF MRS COOK'S HOUSE. ?
    (13)WE KNOW WHATS AT RAINBOWS END BUT WHAT WAS AT 'JOURNEYS END. ?
    (14)WHAT WELL SIGNPOSTED BUSINESS BEGAN IN 1853. ?
    (15)WHAT FAMILY FIRST OWNED THE ARMS HOTEL. ?
    (16)THE CASTLE BAR,WHO LOST IT BY COURT ORDER.?
    (17)THE ROYAL HOTEL, WHAT IS THERE NOW.?
    (18)CUTHBERTSON'S PRINTERS IN WILLIAM ST.FOR 70 YEARS BUT IN WHOSE HOUSE DID THEY START.?
    (19)FOREVER CLOONE AND WIMBLEDON, WHATS THE CONNECTION.?
    (20)WHAT TOWNIE IS REPUTED TO HAVE SAID,'I AM FIRST AT LAST,I WAS ALWAYS BEHIND BEFORE.?
    EMAIL ANSWERS TO emmetsabu@gmail.com NOT LATER THAN 28/11/2008

I give up before I start.
    I here admit that I know the answer to only one of the questions. I have a good idea where to find the answers to about 5 others. So if any of you can answer 6 or 7 you have me beaten anyway.

Church newsletter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mark142857

Hi everyone.

I'm popping over to Listowel in December, and I was hoping to do a bit of 'family-tree' type research. I've been able to have a look at the baptism registers at St Mary's a couple of times (thanks to Billy Maloney), but this time I was hoping to go to the Genealogicial Centre in Killarney. However, I found out this week that it's been closed down!

Does anyone know what happened to the records they were keeping? The 1901 and 1911 census returns to be specific. I'm sure they had loads of other stuff too, and it would be a shame if it was no longer available.

By the way, I only got one answer to the quiz, too! It's a toughie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Bridewell Road

Hi Mark,
    I believe you can access some records (probably births deaths etc )back in Listowel hospital.As for the 1901 and 1911 census if you go into the Library in Moyderwell in Tralee those records are available there,they may even be available in Listowel, but definitely in Tralee and the staff are very helpful.The 1901 census is on line in limited form ,so try 1901 census Iraghticonner barony ,then go to Listowel civil parish.Good Luck.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mark142857

Thanks very much for that, Bridewell. Definitely worth a trip to Tralee, then.

Lads,
    I have 12 answers ferreted out by guile, charm, hard work,shameless begging and lucky guesswork (by others, not me).
    You will now have to do better than 12 to beat me.

I think by the way cherrytree has started we have a real sprinter, but to be a real champion it will be the the person with the most staying power who will be crowned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Miribelle

Hey Everyone, just joined up, I just want to say what a great idea this thread was!! I am living in Listowel, I'm 26 and love surfing through the old pics of the town!! I love history and there has been some really interesting posts on here!! Keep up the good work, credit where credit is due!!! The Mrs. Andrew Griffin in the 1953 photo is my husbands grandmother. I'm not sure yet but I think my grandfather is also in this photo. Anyway, keep the old pics coming!! :):):)

• Advertisement

Hi Miribelle,

I well remember your husband's grandmother. What a lovely woman she was. Her very best friend Mrs Sonny Flaherty is on the ground in front of her in the photo.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Miribelle

Thank you Bridewell Road!! My husband talks about her all the time, and his other grandparents!! Although I think he was too young at the time of Mr. Griffin's passing to remember much about him :(

Hi there Boroman'
    Believe it or not I am beavering away here in an attempt to get answers to your quiz.With the help of my wife and some neighbours we have managed to get answers to seven (I think!!)Cherrytree is way ahead but we're not giving up yet.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss Cellaneous

you will be the death of me ! I can't eat, I can't sleep, I'm haunted by that ****** Tin man and as for Cloone and Wimbledom...give us a break.
    Seriously boroman it's a cracking quiz, keeping us all on our toes ( or in my case on my hands and knees in despair) People who haven't spoken in years are getting their heads together and coming up with some weird and wonderful answers. You are the talk of the town ! Well done .

you will be the death of me ! I can't eat, I can't sleep, I'm haunted by that ****** Tin man and as for Cloone and Wimbledom...give us a break.
    Seriously boroman it's a cracking quiz, keeping us all on our toes ( or in my case on my hands and knees in despair) People who haven't spoken in years are getting their heads together and coming up with some weird and wonderful answers. You are the talk of the town ! Well done .
    You have all my sympathy! I have emailed every Listowel native in my address book, I have stopped traffic, I have shouted at the elderly and generally pestered all and sundry in my pursuit of answers. I'm still holding on to hope though.

quiz
    While I feel for the people who at this point are working so hard in their answering
    endeavours and seem to be leaving no stone unturned in their quest for the elusive answers
    all that I can say at this point is that this might prove to be the seminal round in as
    much as it is quite difficult to frame so many interesting questions when your area is
    quite small and of course when your audience is so smart,however we will wait and see...
    On the other hand I am now avoiding the streets and pubs as of late I have never seen such
    an avid interest in local history and for some strange reason yours truly seems to be the
    target, even at Church last weekend a well known local lady turned to me at the handshakes
    and whispered to me ''Boroman something that has been troubling me for years,could you
    tell me where Spillanes lived'', her husband pulled the demented woman away just as I was
    about to tell her, our local Garda Inspector has also reported that a strange nocturnal
    activity has been seen late at night, teams of people roaming our streets gawking at the
    shopfronts and staring at certain windows and all with sheets of paper in their fists.The
    Gardai are currently monitoring the goings on.

Boroman
    I have all my books on Listowel on the counter...digging deep and employing some spies...
    My mother got me the owner of the Castle Bar.
    1 down 19 to go !
    I can imagine some good guesswork and some funny answers.

In case there are any guards reading let me clarify,
    All my activities in pursuit of answers have been legitimate and diurnal.
    I am guilty of approaching long time denizens of the town with the greeting, "Do you know where Spillane's shop was?"
    I have chased the ghost of Bob Cuthbertson from William St. down Church St. and currently I have him cornered with Msrs. Maher and Grogan in the Square, but the question is , In whose house....?
    I have a few leads but no hard evidence on Cloone yet.
    As for the townie who was first and last. I think folk memory has forgotten him.
    I still have 6 questions unconfirmed and under ongoing investigation but a week is a long time in quizland.

Church Newsletter

Maybe prayer is the only hope for those trying to find answers to the quiz.

• Advertisement

boroman wrote: »
    JOHN SHEEHY MEMORIAL QUIZ
    WEEKEND 15/16 NOVEMBER
    ROUND 1
    (1)WHAT YEAR DID THE LIMERICK/LISTOWEL/TRALEE RAIL LINE OPEN. ?
    (2)I LIE ALONE IN ST.MARYS,WHO AM I. ?
    (3)WHAT HAPPENED TO LORD LISTOWEL'S LEGAL AGENT ON 16/6/1929. ?
    (4)NAME THE YOUNG LADY WHO WAS HAPPY THEN SAD AND DIED ON 2/2/1959. ?
    (5)WHAT GRANDFATHER WAS SENTENCED TO DEATH AND NEVER SAW HIS GRANDSON
    RISE TO THE TOP OF HIS SPORTING GAME. ?
    (6)WHAT ARE THE CONNECTIONS BETWEEN AN EX BELLMAN AND THE ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE. ?
    (7)who was the tinman of william street. ?
    (8)A BUILDING OF CUT STONE(NOW DEMOLISHED) ON THE RIVERSIDE AT GLOUNAPHUKA WAS USED
    BY WHO AND FOR WHAT PURPOSE. ?
    (9)BY WHAT NAME DID PADDY CARMODY CALL HIS BAKERY. ?
    (10)WHO CELEBRATED 100 BY GOING TO THE RACES. ?
    (11)IN THE WORDS OF A SONG, A TOWN LEAGUE THEY HAVE NOW BEGUN,
    FOR WHICH BRIGHT MEDALS GLOW,
    THEY ARE SEEN DISPLAYED,ALLURINGLY IN SPILLANES WINDOW.
    WHO NOW OWN'S SPILLANES SHOP. ?
    (12)WHAT WAS THE NAME OF MRS COOK'S HOUSE. ?
    (13)WE KNOW WHATS AT RAINBOWS END BUT WHAT WAS AT 'JOURNEYS END. ?
    (14)WHAT WELL SIGNPOSTED BUSINESS BEGAN IN 1853. ?
    (15)WHAT FAMILY FIRST OWNED THE ARMS HOTEL. ?
    (16)THE CASTLE BAR,WHO LOST IT BY COURT ORDER.?
    (17)THE ROYAL HOTEL, WHAT IS THERE NOW.?
    (18)CUTHBERTSON'S PRINTERS IN WILLIAM ST.FOR 70 YEARS BUT IN WHOSE HOUSE DID THEY START.?
    (19)FOREVER CLOONE AND WIMBLEDON, WHATS THE CONNECTION.?
    (20)WHAT TOWNIE IS REPUTED TO HAVE SAID,'I AM FIRST AT LAST,I WAS ALWAYS BEHIND BEFORE.?
    EMAIL ANSWERS TO emmetsabu@gmail.com NOT LATER THAN 28/11/2008

Boroman
    Putting the final pieces together, you have half of Listowel driven mad!
    Forum has been quiet of late, as probably all are diving into the books and pestering people for answers.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Advertisement