Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church Newsletter

I am very interested in everything that is said about the town.

Thank you all for information. There are obviously hidden depths to the town of Listowel.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

An older friend once told me of a true incident which he witnessed along with 5 other locals, while drinking after hours in a candlelit bar belonging to Griffins ( afterwards Toddy O'Connor's and now Hy Brazil boutique in Church St. ) The weather had been bad and the night wet and windy. The local were discussing the topics of the day, when there was an almighty noise and an ashen faced Mr. Griffin started shouting, "It's an earthquake". Pandemonium set in. Three hit for the front door and the others jumped the counter to rescue the boss. What they saw on the floor was a hole which my friend said you could fit a donkeyload of turf into. Into this and down into a torrential stream had fallen two firkins of stout which had been stored under the counter. Mr. Griffin who was in a state of shock saw two months profit vanishing in front of him made several efforts to go down after the barrells, (At this time they would probably be sailing under The Freezers) only to be restrained by those present. An enquiry found that the roof of the Church St. drain had caved in. It was said afterwards that a sober rat was not to be found near Tae lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Boroman.
    You are a mine of information. I never knew of a tannery in the square.
    Keep it coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

It is interesting to see Boroman describe the bottom of Tae Lane as a "harbour" in his post on page 94. It must have been a fine harbour at one time, as the late John B. Keane once told me that the Irish Naval Service's Atlantic Submarine Fleet was based there for the duration of "The Emergency".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Some pics of listowel from october 1972 on this flickr page..
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=old+listowel

• Advertisement

It is my intention to host a Know your old Listowel on the forum shortly, this will be in memory of the late John Sheehy, details re/ rules and questions sources posted later.
    Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

boroman wrote: »
    It is my intention to host a Know your old Listowel on the forum shortly, this will be in memory of the late John Sheehy, details re/ rules and questions sources posted later.
    Watch this space.

Splendid idea! I will have to pray to John for help with the answers though. Us, non native Listowellians will need lots of hints and clues. I'm lining up my "phone a friend" mates already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 pauloc

Hey everyone,
    just wondering if anyone has any old pictures of Greenville in Listowel?

Meant to post this ages ago, this is actually a postcard of collins bacon store, lower church st.
    collins.jpg

I wonder when this picture was taken and who the man is. I can never remember a time when this shop traded. Is it possible it sold only bacon?
    BTW welcome to the thread. I love to see newcomers livening up the debate. If you have any more photos we'd love to see them.

• Advertisement

The present McGuire chemist shop has one again joined together two houses which in the 1800s operated as an Listowel Inn. In the photograph the upper door led straight to the back yard where horses were stabled.A great granddad of John McGuire rented the lower half of the premises from Wm MC Eligott who himself started Listowel Provision Store after the demise of the Inn (c)1880s.These houses had no backlane entrance.

I wonder when this picture was taken and who the man is. I can never remember a time when this shop traded. Is it possible it sold only bacon?
    BTW welcome to the thread. I love to see newcomers livening up the debate. If you have any more photos we'd love to see them.

It's actually a postcard so I assume that it's Mr. Collins, I got it at a car boot sale years ago, there was some photographs aswell but I have no idea where they are now, I'll give a look for them later. As far as I know it was a general store, and the postcard is from around the 1940's, all the photographs that were with it had dates ranging from 1940 - 48. I believe the council tried to contact to family before they took possession of the building, but they were unable to locate any members of the family. If anyone else has more information on the building or family I would love to hear it.

A Mr PJ Collins operated the store from the early 1920s, he must have bought it off the McElligott's as John MCGuire bought it off the reps off this family prior to the renovation. I would say that is Mr. Collins at the door front. n.b. the big barrell would be used for salting bacon.

The present McGuire chemist shop has one again joined together two houses which in the 1800s operated as an Listowel Inn. In the photograph the upper door led straight to the back yard where horses were stabled.A great granddad of John McGuire rented the lower half of the premises from Wm MC Eligott who himself started Listowel Provision Store after the demise of the Inn (c)1880s.These houses had no backlane entrance.

If there was no back lane how did the horses get to the stables? Surely they did not use the door on the street.
    Did Wm Mc Eligott own the store? Where does Collins' come in ?
    Maybe if the photograph is of Mr. Collins that he owned the shop after McEligott and McGuire.
    Do you think it was in business in the photo? It looks very empty to me.

A Listowel Provision Store letterhead of the early 1900s offered instore,IRISH hams(best) Canadian Hams, American Bacon,(various classes) Danish Heads, Lard, Ling, Codfish, Herrings, salt, Red Herrings, Cheese, Onions- Dutch or Spanish.
    And that was before the Celtic Tiger roared.

A Listowel Provision Store letterhead of the early 1900s offered instore,IRISH hams(best) Canadian Hams, American Bacon,(various classes) Danish Heads, Lard, Ling, Codfish, Herrings, salt, Red Herrings, Cheese, Onions- Dutch or Spanish.
    And that was before the Celtic Tiger roared.

I am trying hard not to imagine the smell of this unlikely combination of comestibles. I'm glad the horses were separated by a stout wall from this stinking collection.
    I did not know that a red herring actually existed. You learn something new everyday.
    Thanks Boroman.

hi boroman,
    you mentioned that John MCGuire bought it off the reps, but off which family? the Collins or the McElligott's? I would love to return the photo's that I have to the family, a while back I posted the pictures on a couple of geneology sites but I could not find anyone.

This is one that I was able to recognise, I'm assuming that it's a relative of the collins, it was taken on the island and it's dated 1948. anyone recognise this man?
    island_bridge.jpg

I think I know who this might be but I'm reluctant to put a name on the thread. Will you put up some more of the photos and Boroman will surely recognise them.

Hopefully someone will know this hotel, don't know if this is in Listowel
    spaviewhotel.jpg

• Advertisement

the first one is dated 1938 and has "left for westport on transfer" wrote on it

007.jpg

this one has no date but it's the same kid that was in the photo on the island bridge.

017a.jpg

These photos are very interesting and of very good quality. I don't think that it is the same child but I think it may be the same photographer. I sense a Church Street connection. There used to be a photographer in Church St. where Lawlers cake shop is now. I dont know if it was the 1940's though.
    Boroman please help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

It is the same boy in both photos. None other than Frank Murray. Wasn't he cute!! The two gentlemen? Probably his father and his brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

yes john, that is my old nextdoor neighbour frank murray and i think his brother michael also frank and his father,a real gentleman.brings back great memories.great to see the old photos.

The photo of the RIC man and his family looks like it was taken at the door of the barrack in Listowel. What a lovely family!
    I don't think the hotel is in Listowel. Maybe Lisdoonvarna?
    Are there any more photos in your collection?

Cherry Tree,
    I think you have your forces wrong, the R.I.C. finished their tour of duty in 1921. It is taken outside the Garda Station all right and it will take some time to locate the family.

Pauloc,
    I have spoken to F Murray. the boy in 2 of the photo's. He is amazed to find out of their existance, never seen them before, most interested, he told me that there was good friendship between Ena Collins of the bacon shop and his older siblings.

I think that I know the name of the Garda Sgt. and his family, however further investigative work is ongoing .

Hi Boroman
    that's great news, I would be delighted to pass them on, I'm in the process of scanning them all at the moment. Here are some more that I've scanned

Thses are the four girls that are in the picture with the Garda Sgt.

011.jpg

unfortunately there is no date on this one but someone may recognise them

020.jpg

• Advertisement

Hi boroman
    this is another photo of franks brother dated 1950, a holiday in Galway.

029.jpg

Advertisement