Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

I WILL QUOTE LOVELY WRITER, WORDS FROM SHAKESPEARE'S
    JULIUS CAESAR.
    '' FOR BOROMAN IS AN HONOURABLE MAN''
    I REST MY CASE.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

:eek:
    boroman wrote: »
    I WILL QUOTE LOVELY WRITER, WORDS FROM SHAKESPEARE'S
    JULIUS CAESAR.
    '' FOR BOROMAN IS AN HONOURABLE MAN''
    I REST MY CASE.

I do not know when the quiz will be finished but remember "the Ides of March" was a dangerous time.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kieranosully

It certainly is. My late uncle, Sean O'Sullivan, owned the maroon coloured shop in the right of the picture. O'Sullivan's The Man's Shop. His son, Ned, is now the proprieter. Kieran

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mark142857

Hi all

Going to be in Listowel next week.

Does anyone know of any live music going on in town Monday or Tuesday nights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss Cellaneous

Been away for a while but ...I'm back
    Well done Price of a Pint, Lovely writer and Cherry Tree.
    As for Doodle Avenue - I like the way you think. Wish I could say the same about Boroman! :mad: Questions on sport! give us a break. Things are going from bad to worse.:eek: Thank god for google is all I can say :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Last night at 8.30pm, 8 ladies were having a meal in a restaurant in Listowel Town after they had played golf in Ballybunion. They were in a jolly mood naturally enough and were having some wine, when at the main course they were told by the waitress that it is the restaurants policy not to serve anymore alchohol to anyone who they felt had too much! Btw the restaurant was empty and they were spending around 370 euros. These ladies are definitely not scumbags or louts in fact they are very well known in Business and social circles in Limerick. They are very upset over it and will never return to this eatery again. Can I name the Restaurant???

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Dear Brousuka,
    Welcome to the Listowel forum.
    I regret that your friends had an unhappy experience in our lovely town. I can assure you that it is not the norm. Our restaurants are famous for their hospitality, friendliness and good food.
    It is perhaps best not to name the restaurant in question since your story is second hand and the eatery should be given a right to reply in its own defence.

entries to our quiz , remember tomorrow night midnight,deadline,

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

"not on top of his Christmas card mailing list then one could pay the price "

I am watching very carefully and I wonder if boroman is referring to "The Price of a Pint".

I have submitted my answers tonight...enough "googling" my eyeballs are red from reading not to mention my delicate fingers from typing.
    Anyway I'm in.
    Let's hope google has the same answers as Boroman....otherwise i'm F@#$ed.
    Let the games begin.

P.S the team with the most town leagues is ............wait for it.

Will be a riot in Mike the Pies....lots of heated debate on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Lads

long shot here I know but last tues (I think it was) after 5pm I left all regions internet cafe did some printing went to printing works, and then to hartnetts pharmacy, when i got to my car my 16 gig usb stick was not in my pocket no more, i must have dropped it while taking my phone out,

I also made a dash to the atm bank of ireland...

bah humbug...!

Dont suppose anyone came across it, black and quite small as they are.

cheers.

oh ya offer rewarded and all that.....

• Advertisement

Lads

long shot here I know but last tues (I think it was) after 5pm I left all regions internet cafe did some printing went to printing works, and then to hartnetts pharmacy, when i got to my car my 16 gig usb stick was not in my pocket no more, i must have dropped it while taking my phone out,

I also made a dash to the atm bank of ireland...

bah humbug...!

Dont suppose anyone came across it, black and quite small as they are.

cheers.

oh ya offer rewarded and all that.....

I feel your pain.
    I do hope some honest person found it or at least someone who realised its value.
    I'd put a sign in All Regions, Brodericks and the other places you mentioned.
    A few bob to St. Anthony might not go astray either.

Boroman,
    Hope you got my collection of carefully researched answers.
    Pintman,
    Forget this false modesty. We know you have had spies at every street corner lately. The transatlantic phonelines have also been busy.
    Bring on the answers and a welcome end to the who won the most town league debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

The entries for Round two of the Quiz are in by now. If I was a gambling man I'd put my money on Price of a Pint to win , grubby fingers and all! As for the most town leagues- would it be....................Greenville by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

There was a cv on the the usb stick, so anyone who accessed it could see who owned it.

It could have been brushed up by a cleaner..?
    such bad luck im having of late, it was just a few weeks old also.

:mad:

Id say its too late to put up notices in the aforementioned shops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church Newsletter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭listowel1

how do i submit answers to quiz.i just found the quiz and have few answers after few min work!

Answers Quiz 2

(1) 6, 5 senior and 1 u/21
    (2) Tommy Stack, Red Rum, 1977
    (3) Jerry Kiernan, 1984.
    (4) Goodbye, bred by the Trants.
    (5) Denis Murphy, Flute Player.
    (6) True.
    (7) John Macauley.
    (8) Ireland vs Germany
    (9) 1960, Glen Rovers.
    (10) Master Myles.
    (11) Sean Wight.
    (12) Fastest goal in a all- Ireland
    (13) The Listowel Show.
    (14) John o Flaherty.
    (15) Emmets vs Clounmacon.
    (16) Maurice Hayes, hon.sec. to winning Down team was grandson to Maurice Hayes
    coachbuilder to Lartigue railway.
    (17) Hurling, Limerick. Football, Offaly.
    (18) Gerald Lenihan.
    (19) The late Pat.Kennedy.
    (20) An Gleann.

Quiz round 2.
    (1) Price of a pint 19/20
    (2) Joint 2nd. Lovely writer& Cherry tree 16/20
    (3) Listowel 8. 14/20
    LEADERBOARD AFTER 2 ROUNDS
    (1) Price of a pint 34.
    (2) Lovely writer 30.
    Cherry tree 30.
    (3) Listowel 8 14.
    Again thanking all who took part,we had several first timers
    who we hope will keep up answering for the duration of the quiz.

John Sheehy Memorial Quiz

Round 3.
    entries to emmetsabu before Dec. 27th.

(1) I FIRST SAW THE LIGHT OF DAY IN 1888 AND SURVIVED 36 YEARS,WHAT WAS I. ?
    (2) WHERE IN LISTOWEL WAS THE LAST WORKING MILL WHEEL. ?
    (3) NAME THE WORDSMITH SON OF A BLACKSMITH. ?
    (4) NAME THE LISTOWEL MAN WHO WAS A CHAMPION WRITER. ?
    (5) NAME LISTOWEL'S LAST TOWN CRIER. ?
    (6) WHAT WERE THE GRAVEL CRUSHERS. ?
    (7) WHERE DID THE GARDAI RELOCATE TO AFTER THE BURNING OF THE BARRACKS. ?
    (8) WE KNOW COURTHOUSE ROAD BUT WHERE WAS COURTHOUSE ROW. ?
    (9) I WAS ONE OF THE GREAT MOVIE STARS, MY ROOTS WERE IN THE GLEANN, WHO WAS I. ?
    (10)MORTELL'S, WHAT DID THEY SELL. ?
    (11)I RACED FROM LONDON TO CAIRO,WAS FROM THE TOWN, WHO WAS I. ?
    (12)WHERE WAS BOTTLE ALLEY. ?
    (13)WHAT CANON LIVED IN GURTINARD HOUSE. ?
    (14)I WAS THE CEMENT GOD,WHAT WAS MY REAL NAME.?
    (15)NAME WHO CRIED OUT, AND FINISH THE LINE 'KEEP AWAY FROM FOUNTAIN .. ............' ?
    (16)WHAT BOROMAN WROTE THE FIRST OFFICIAL HISTORY OF THE G.A.A. ?
    (17)WHAT LISTOWEL MAN WROTE 'THE MAID OF SWEET COOLARD' ?
    (18)WHAT ACTRESS MAURA WAS MARRIED TO WHAT NED. ?
    (19)NAME A LISTOWEL SOLICTORS DAUGHTER WHO HAS PUBLISHED HER MEMORIES. ?
    (20)WHAT HALL HOSTED THE PREMIER OF SIVE AND WHAT WAS THE YEAR. ?
    NOLLAIG SHONASACH AGUS ATHBHLIAIN SHUAIMHNEACH AS AN BORO.
    WISHING ALL LISTOWEL PEOPLE EVERYWHERE A VERY HAPPY AND HOLY CHRISTMAS
    AND A HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS 2009 FROM ALL IN THE BORO.

On this very site the show in question is called The North Kerry Show

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=267053&page=92

Well done Price of a Pint. I knew well you were the one to watch

• Advertisement

when I saw the results posted I realised that my tallys were wrong for our leader, I allowed price of a pint 19 marks this I am now changing to 18.
    Leaderboard after Round 2
    (1) Price of a pint 33
    (2) Cherry tree 30
    Lovely writer 30
    (3) Listowel 8 14

Again apologies for any distress or heart failure which I may have caused.
    Mae culpa.

Boroman Did you get my entry at all ! I was having trouble with my broadband so i phoned my friend with the answers and asked her to email them to you and sign it Miss Cellaneous so's you'd know it was from me ! Please say you got it or I'll have an awful lot of ground to make up. :confused:
    Congratulations again to all. I dont think Ill have a future as a researcher :o

further corrections,
    there has been so many corrections to our answers it is starting to be like the budget with so many uturns, in response to misscellaneouses desperate plea for a fair hearing I rechecked my messages and when I checked the spam box I found a message send in last night at 10`45 by a Claire Martyn who had send it in at the behest of our petitioner.In the interest of justice and fair play for which our fair town is well noted for I am accepting her answers so this will effect the third place standings and will relegate Listowel 8 back to 4th place.
    Table after 2nd round.(amended)
    (1) price of a pint 33
    (2) cherry tree 30
    lovely writer 30
    (3) misscellaneous 23
    (4)LISTOWEL8 14

Fair play to you Boroman
    I think your system knows spam when it sees it and going by my answers I deserve to be in the spam folder.
    Keep up the good work, I'm enjoying every minute of it and can't wait to get my teeth into the next lot - look for me again in the spam ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

boroman,ithought tim kennelly won 5 senior medals and 2 u-21 medals 73
    75.question5.i thought sean wight was the 1st. kerryman to play in AFL grand final in 1988? No.19 what was wrong with my answer of giggs nolan football field in Abbu Dabbi,check it out.More research needed.congrats price of a pint,nice to see the "ashes" leading.my phone -a-friend at kevins was a dud.thank you "macca".

"Kennelly’s skill was quickly spotted by the Kerry inter-county selectors and he soon joined the minor team. In 1973 he won his very first All-Ireland title with the under-21 team. Two years later in 1975 Kennelly had a very successful year as a player. He won a second All-Ireland title with the under-21 side, having already captured his first Munster Championship and All-Ireland medals at senior level, under the new management of the legendary Mick O'Dwyer"
    This is a quote from Wikipedia, so if it is incorrect it should be corrected. Poor Listowel 8 is not to blame if he used the resources available to him to find the answer.
    Sean Wight was definitely with Melbourne in 1988 when they played in the grand final. He was there from 1985 to 1995 according to the official Melbourne site. Did he play in the final?
    Now his Abu Dabbi football field sounds a bit dodgy to me but warrants investigation.
    Poor Boroman will be addled with all this disputing and clarification.
    We are all enjoying the quiz. This week's questions are fairly challenging. Could this be my chance to overtake Pintman?
    Nollaig Shona to all on the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

boroman wrote: »
    John Sheehy Memorial Quiz

Round 3.
    entries to emmetsabu before Dec. 27th.

(1) I FIRST SAW THE LIGHT OF DAY IN 1888 AND SURVIVED 36 YEARS,WHAT WAS I. ?
    (2) WHERE IN LISTOWEL WAS THE LAST WORKING MILL WHEEL. ?
    (3) NAME THE WORDSMITH SON OF A BLACKSMITH. ?
    (4) NAME THE LISTOWEL MAN WHO WAS A CHAMPION WRITER. ?
    (5) NAME LISTOWEL'S LAST TOWN CRIER. ?
    (6) WHAT WERE THE GRAVEL CRUSHERS. ?
    (7) WHERE DID THE GARDAI RELOCATE TO AFTER THE BURNING OF THE BARRACKS. ?
    (8) WE KNOW COURTHOUSE ROAD BUT WHERE WAS COURTHOUSE ROW. ?
    (9) I WAS ONE OF THE GREAT MOVIE STARS, MY ROOTS WERE IN THE GLEANN, WHO WAS I. ?
    (10)MORTELL'S, WHAT DID THEY SELL. ?
    (11)I RACED FROM LONDON TO CAIRO,WAS FROM THE TOWN, WHO WAS I. ?
    (12)WHERE WAS BOTTLE ALLEY. ?
    (13)WHAT CANON LIVED IN GURTINARD HOUSE. ?
    (14)I WAS THE CEMENT GOD,WHAT WAS MY REAL NAME.?
    (15)NAME WHO CRIED OUT, AND FINISH THE LINE 'KEEP AWAY FROM FOUNTAIN .. ............' ?
    (16)WHAT BOROMAN WROTE THE FIRST OFFICIAL HISTORY OF THE G.A.A. ?
    (17)WHAT LISTOWEL MAN WROTE 'THE MAID OF SWEET COOLARD' ?
    (18)WHAT ACTRESS MAURA WAS MARRIED TO WHAT NED. ?
    (19)NAME A LISTOWEL SOLICTORS DAUGHTER WHO HAS PUBLISHED HER MEMORIES. ?
    (20)WHAT HALL HOSTED THE PREMIER OF SIVE AND WHAT WAS THE YEAR. ?
    NOLLAIG SHONASACH AGUS ATHBHLIAIN SHUAIMHNEACH AS AN BORO.
    WISHING ALL LISTOWEL PEOPLE EVERYWHERE A VERY HAPPY AND HOLY CHRISTMAS
    AND A HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS 2009 FROM ALL IN THE BORO.
    I cannot believe I'm still in the lead.
    Me, many miles away, and no grubby fingers to digest "Listowel and it's Vicinity" as I do not posess a copy. Could not find it for sale anywhere
    I was "googling" Fr Tony to see if he might have a few extras in his posession.
    My spies, and cohorts are my saviors. This round does not have a title.
    Maybe DoodleAvenue could give it one. Still waiting for their (note the plural) answers on round 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Although the Pintman says he "does not possess" a copy of Listowel and its Vicinity, I suspect that he is still able to get his grubby fingers on a copy by proxy. Grubbyness knows no bounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 RiverFeale

NOLLAIG SHONA AGUS BEANNACHTAI .NA FEILE IWOULD LIKE TO SHARE THIS WEBSITE WITH YOU ALL>http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/dogtown/dogtown.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

price of a pint,do you feel the sarcasm in "up the ashes" reply.I wonder if he is jealous of your success so far.I thought another "ashes" man would be happy but thank god i am not like that.To show you my good nature i will tell you if you google amazon.com &Alibris.com you will be able to find some used copies of listowel and its vicinity .If up the ashes was any good he would put it on his christmas list for you.but in fairness to him the word in certain bars in listowel is you are slow to buy your less fortunate friends a drink.Who would spread these unfounded rumors about you.

Advertisement