Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 pauloc

these first two are taken on the racecousre island

021.jpg

024.jpg

this one is taken at spa fields, I think this is at the entrance to the golf course just beyond the pump house.

025.jpg

this photo is dated 1943 with Currans wrote on it, I'm assuming this is the families names, anyone recognise them?]

026.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

From early enquires it would seem that the photograph was indeed taken in Lisdoonvarna long before Christy Moore started singing
    Oh Listoon, Listoonvarna
    more research is needed.

The forum seems to have got very quite of late, I was thinking of some reasons why,
    The American election ?
    Mass emigration ?
    Hibernation ?
    Busy at blindmans buff or snapapple ( are these games outdated in the Celtic Tiger era ?)
    Or has everyone switched to academic mode and started to swat hard in preparation for their participation in our 'Know your old Listowel' quiz which is coming your way very shortly.

Watch This Space........

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Boroman- we're all swotting for the quiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Boroman- you have everyone in Limbo.
    Get it going.
    Remember the Boards crew is waiting with bated breath
    Questions before our/my time will be a great challenge.
    I may have to try to form a team to accept the throwing of the gauntlet
    Once upon a time a quiz team did very well during the Pub Quiz years.
    I wonder..can it be done again , or are the brains now too pickled !!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Ah now fair is fair! The rules will have to be clear on this ganging up business.
    My mole tells me that a substantial prize may be at stake.
    There should be a penalty for hassling the quizmaster or for dissing the other competitors.
    Let the fun begin!

We broke the 100,000 barrier on views
    Where are you people ?
    Please post
    The life of the thread is people contributing.
    Over 100.000 people visited, why not post something
    Everybody's welcome.

Pintman,
    Where did you get that information? Sandhill is up above smiling with satisfaction.
    With your skills for delving and digging out information you'll surely do well in the much anticipated quiz!

Hang on in there Pintman, you know that the winter is long, however at this stage I can announce that Maurice Whelan & Vincent Carmody of IrishOriginals.ie have kindly offered to sponsor the prize, which will consist of a set of Irish Originals placemats and coasters from the Irish Originals range.

Rules and reference sources will be posted within a week. I would also like to add my congrads to everyone involved in reaching the 100,000 mark with views and just to add the words of a sign which appeared on the window of a well known bookshop in Church St. years ago -

'Don't stand outside looking in, come on in and look around.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

To quote the late Sandhill Rd---

LURKERS

Lurkers,
    Come out,
    Come out,
    Wherever you are!

Also, Boroman, I remember a sign in that same bookshop -"Small Shop- No Looking"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Bridewell Road

Dear UP THE ASHES,
    I also remember another notice in the same bookshop which was laid on top of the neatly spread out magazines on the counter ,it said "NO LYING ON THE COUNTER":pac:

John Sheehy Memorial Quiz

RuLes
    (1) Over 10 weeks there will be 5 sets of 20 questions.
    (2) A new set of questions will be posted on boards every second weekend.
    (3) ANSWERS TO THE PREVIOUS SET OF QUESTIONS MUST BE FORWARDED TO THE DESIGNATED E/MAIL
    ADDRESS BEFORE THE FOLLOWING SET OF QUESTIONS ARE POSTED.

(4) ALL QUESTIONS WILL BE BASED ON LISTOWEL OR THE GREATER LISTOWEL AREA.

QUESTIONS WILL BE OF A LOCAL GENERAL KNOWLEDGE AND REFERENCE TO THE FOLLOWING WILL HELP,
    (1) LISTOWEL RACES - J. O FLAHERTY.
    (2) LISTOWEL AND THE GAA, EMMETS CENTENARY HISTORY.
    (3) LISTOWEL AND ITS VICINITY - FR.T.GAUGHAN.
    (4) THE LARTIGUE(LISTOWEL&BALLYBUNION RAILWAY)-M.GUERIN.
    (5) NORTH KERRY CAMERA - V.CARMODY.
    (6) WWW.IRISHORIGINALS.IE
    IN THE EVENT OF MORE THAN ONE HAVING THE SAME NUMBER OF CORRECT ANSWERS THE WINNER WILL BE DRAWN
    FROM A HAT.
    ALL DECISIONS BY THE JURY (IN THIS CASE THE BOROMAN) WILL BE FINAL.

ANSWERS TO BE FORWARDED TO
    EMMETSABU@GMAIL.COM

hey Boroman
    Just wondering if you were able to find anymore information on the Garda Sgt?

This is another photo from the collection, theres no date but it has "Pat and his ma" wrote on the back. any ideas on who this is?

028.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

It looks like Boroman will be setting us a stiff test. Reference books may be required! I wonder how many contributers have access to all the publications mentioned? Not too many, I'll wager. Probably only Vincent Carmody himself!! :rolleyes:
    Any stray copies lying about? I hear some of them are fetching big prices.

I'm aware of the dreadful weather conditions in Kerry this year.
    A medical solution ( not valium or alcohol) to allay the depressing conditions are to take excess doses of vitamin C.
    Haliborange are a vitamin we used to eat. Even though they said 1 a day, we overdosed it. ..Excess vitamin C is not a problem.
    Try it.
    Lack of sunshine ( which is a vitamin C producer to the body) is a real problem, unless you can afford to go to Spain for a few weeks.
    It may brighten your day !

:pac:

I'd say it would take more than vitamin C to counteract the weather in the Kingdom these days.
    I'd recommend the piece of red flannel or even the sheet of newspaper next to the chest.
    This cure comes to you from folklore. Interestingly the "oideas" of béaloideas is the word that is used in Irish for a prescription.

Reference books
    I note that we have a budding medical section taking root on the forum, this could be of
    interest to people with old cures etc.
    John Granville mentioned the availability or non availabiity of reference books, I would
    suggest to Mr. Granville that he avail of the well stocked shelves of the local library,
    failing that, he might phone a friend or two, however with his local knowledge already
    shown in several previous contributions to the forum would I am sure if Berkie Browne were
    to run a book on the quiz the aforementioned John Granville would be a very short price
    favourite.
    Meanwhile all other contestents read the rules and get ready because like Santa ..........

WATCH THIS SPACE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

boroman wrote: »
    Reference books
    I note that we have a budding medical section taking root on the forum, this could be of
    interest to people with old cures etc.
    John Granville mentioned the availability or non availabiity of reference books, I would
    suggest to Mr. Granville that he avail of the well stocked shelves of the local library,
    failing that, he might phone a friend or two, however with his local knowledge already
    shown in several previous contributions to the forum would I am sure if Berkie Browne were
    to run a book on the quiz the aforementioned John Granville would be a very short price
    favourite.
    Meanwhile all other contestents read the rules and get ready because like Santa ..........

WATCH THIS SPACE.

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I'm not so sure I like this "favourite" tag! Favourites have a knack of coming unstuck as all Kerry followers of both football and racing are only too acutely aware. Can't say that my local library is up to date with Listowel reference books but, as you say, I can phone a friend. And there's always St. Joseph of Cupertino, if all else fails. Anyway, is only a bit of gas so we'll have a go.

In my case it's too late for Joseph of Cupertino. I'm on to Saint Jude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Arcade

The beautiful river Feale on a wet and windy November Day, beauty and tranquility.

I have a lovely panoramic of listowel golf course, I will put it up tommorrow.

Lovely work, Arcade!
    Pauloc, I'm looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Arcade wrote: »
    The beautiful river Feale on a wet and windy November Day, beauty and tranquility.

Nice wan.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church Newsletter

This will bring back memories of great days down at the Ball Alley

Photos taken 7/11/08
    Must learn how to insert picture and not a link onto the post.

I took this photo flying into New York in March, turned out much better than I thought.
    The rest are taken in Shawnee Kansas around St Patricks Day 2008.

Yes indeed is brings back memories..........skinned knuckles on a wall !
    There was some good graffiti, (Spiderman i think), there the last time I was around...looks like is painted over.
    Do the local kids play anymore ?

Welcome back Arcade ,and the rest of the crew...........photos are great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss Cellaneous

Was just down to see the river in flood and believe it or not there was a young fella playing racketball in the handball alley with the hailstones hopping around him. Either he is very dedicated or he has a lot to get out of his system !
    Great photos Arcade

Advertisement