Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss Cellaneous

Two out of three ain't bad ! ...I'll try again with the second one Here goes

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/1778/bridge1zs3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

Yes, Vincent, a great website. Congratulations & I add my good luck wishes to Cherry Tree's.
    I have several of your Listowel place-mats & coasters.
    I must get some of the Tom Dooley/Small Square ones with my mother & junior brothers looking on at the ' goings on ' from the first-floor window and myself in the front door w/ my father at 8 Main Street.

DOOLEY! Where did I get that?. ( ' Lay Down Your Head '?)

Tom DOODLE, of course, I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

That is unbelievable...looks like a Hurricane moved through the Town...In all my years when I lived there I never saw that......looking at the floods going through the Race Course Bridge I doubt If there was someone there asking to "Throw me down something"

I just talked a few days ago on the phone to a friend of mine from Listowel who is also one here. I must admit I am not on here and making comments as I should be...he was right...so for the future I hope to do this in a more frequent fashion as time will permit me. I would also like to praise Cherry Tree for her constant and positive input into this forum...only for her I know this site/forum would not have the great output that it has to make it, what it is today...We all have to praise her for this...excellent work Cherry Tree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That is unbelievable...looks like a Hurricane moved through the Town...In all my years when I lived there I never saw that......looking at the floods going through the Race Course Bridge I doubt If there was someone there asking to "Throw me down something"

Only a life-belt. :pac:

Church Newsletter.

This is a link to a new North Kerry publication. It is celebrating one year of publication by going on the Internet.

http://www.theadvertiser.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

At the end of a summer of almost constant rain, Listowel residents have to observe water conservation practices for the foreseeable future. This is why

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/ireland/mhqleyidauau/

and it's raining again today!

So I hope that all residents that have their water supply cut off are been supplied with FREE BOTTLED WATER. Here in Ontario Canada a few small Towns in the past have had there water supply cut off due to pollution and the local government supplied the residents with FREE BOTTLED WATER, It was the least they may do, everyone pays enough taxes.

Here is an issue that I want to bring up which has been bothering me very much when my friend from County Meath came to visit me here over the summer. Its about a place which everyone who is Irish is well aware of..Its called the “Hill Of Tara”…have people lossed all there senses. Why are the people of Ireland letting our Government build a Motorway (or the so called people who run the NRA and have all Politicans in there money lined pockets) at this Historic site. That place is sacred to us, It’s the essence of who we are, Its where being Irish was created. I watched a video on "LiveVideo" of Hired Polish Security Guards pull down one of our Irish Flags..”How Dare They”..as our Gardai just watched and laughed at the people there who were protesting there. I could say a lot more…but for now I just want to know what the members’ of this Forum think. I know County Meath is a good few Miles from Kerry but its still a sacred place to all Irish people. Another issue is the situation at Rossboro with the Gas Line but that’s for another day.

Heres the link to that disgracefull video...just make sure you have the sound turned up to hear whats been said. Those people protesting are very educated people..there not just there for show...they are dedicated to our heritage and they do have day jobs.

http://www.livevideo.com/video/C89A7130F59742F489BAE6604B48E2F4/another-illegal-eviction-8-7-0.aspx

For those of you who dont want to make comments on this forum you can send your personal comments to bob.dylan60@yahoo.ca

Please always remember..."The Needs of the Dedicated Many Always Outway the Needs of the Corrupted Few"

God Bless Ireland

• Advertisement

I see no one has been on here since I posted my last comment......everyone on vacation.

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Up Kerry !!
    Great 2nd half today.
    Had my heart in my mouth as Cork tried an unsuccessful an unlucky come back
    Tyrone are next for the GIANT KILLERS !!
    A full strength Kerry team with Darragh and Paul will be hard to beat.
    I can only imagine the crowd's response when the team line out in 3 weeks time.
    Wish I could be there.

Regards.

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

On this--September 6th.---the first anniversary of his death, John Sheehy, AKA SandHill Road on this the Listowel thread ( and on the Ballybunion thread) is sadly missed for his many contributions to both threads on boards.ie. R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

RIP.

On this--September 6th.---the first anniversary of his death, John Sheehy, AKA SandHill Road on this the Listowel thread ( and on the Ballybunion thread) is sadly missed for his many contributions to both threads on boards.ie. R.I.P.

R.I.P. John.
    I know that all contributors who "knew" John will agree that things have never been the same around here since his passing. He was truly the lifeblood of this forum and I miss him every time I log on here. In his memory I, for one, will resolve to contribute more photos to help to keep our Listowel diaspora abreast of events at home.

William Street, Listowel on a quiet Sunday morning in late August 2008.

Here is a photo of the newly developed John R's. The shop now incorporates MacAuliffe's next door and is a very striking presence in Upper Church St.

Church Newsletter

• Advertisement

The beautiful cover of the first day race card on the 150 th anniversary of racing in Listowel featured photographs from Healy Photography

Photos from Weds

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Thank you to Cherry Tree for posting the pictures of the races. The conditions look reasonably good considering all the rain, even though the crowds look smallish. I hope yourself and Mr. Sheehy back a few winners!

I am really looking forward to the All Ireland Football Final this Sunday. I will be up bright and early, have a Good Irish Breakfast and be at the Irish Club here in Brampton, Ontario, Canada .....our time it starts at 10:30 am. We will be Victorious I have no doubt about that...they are hungry for that 3-in-a-row and a few Pints afterwards will be well appreciated by all. Great Photos Cherry Tree for Listowel Races.

Church Newsletter

Another lovely day at the races

Some more well dressed ladies

I hope we bring the SAM back on Sunday

• Advertisement

Here are some photos from sunny Listowel.
    I hope they will cheer Bob Dylan fan up a bit. Please note the banner in the backround.
    I think people come to this forum for entertainment, information and nostalgia. Maybe we should leave the politics for another day
    and another place. Just a thought!

Advertisement