Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Newsletter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 warboy

While some people in Listowel never heard of nearby Scattery Island
    I know quite a few others from Listowel used to take trips there for hunting, walking, boating etc.. St Senan ended up there when he finished in Kerry.

For those of you interested Senan Scanlan (born on the Island) just published a book on the life of the islanders. He's distributed printed copies to libraries around Clare and there is one on the way to Listowel if they'll take it.

Clare Library have with his permission put the entire contents up on their site:

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/don_tran/fam_his/scattery/scattery_index.htm

I was sent these photographs. Can anyone identify the date?

A number of people have looked at the photographs and I am still looking for a date.

Church Newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 IMScotty

Hello Everyone,

I have an ancestor who is listed on the 1901 census as living on Newman's Lane, Listowel. I cannot find Newman's Lane on a map. Does anyone know if it exists today? Has it been renamed?

Thanks,
    Scott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

IMScotty wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,

I have an ancestor who is listed on the 1901 census as living on Newman's Lane, Listowel. I cannot find Newman's Lane on a map. Does anyone know if it exists today? Has it been renamed?

Thanks,
    Scott

I asked that same question some months ago regarding Newman's Lane but got no reply. Nobody seems to know where it was. I got some old maps from Land Registry but they don't show it either. Maybe someone with an interest in local history could do a little investigative work?

I asked that same question some months ago regarding Newman's Lane but got no reply. Nobody seems to know where it was. I got some old maps from Land Registry but they don't show it either. Maybe someone with an interest in local history could do a little investigative work?

CAUTION: Pure speculation! There are 4 entries for a Thomas Newman in Griffiths.

- 77 Pound Lane: as owner of a vacant house. I believe from the maps this was one of the buildings that were then in front of McKenna's corner. Think opposite Whelan's veg shop out in the middle of the road where you might stop if you were turning left up William St. These 3 or 4 buildings were knocked to widen Market Street. There is a lane behind them. Perhaps known as Newmans?
    - Renting a garden where McKenna's yard next to the Garda Station was. Basically where the Revenue have now set up. Perhaps Newman's Lane was the name for the backway behind John B's down around to the back of the Harp and Lion.
    - 85 Glanafuca: Near Tarrants on Market Street
    - 21 Pound Lane: Around Whelans Veg Shop

From previous post's link to 1901 entries on Newman's Lane:

1 John Relihan private dwelling
    2 Jeremiah Connor private dwelling
    3 Michael Fitzmaurice private dwelling
    4 John Lacey private dwelling
    5 Michael Murphy private dwelling
    6 William O'Brien private dwelling
    7 Patrick Fennell private dwelling
    8 unoccupied Timber, Iron and Creamery John P. Enright of William St.
    Saw Mill
    9 Thomas Lawler private dwelling
    10 Black smith forge John Stack of Bridewell Lane

Newsletter

Warboy,

Thank you very much for your reply. Interesting Speculation. I intend to take a look at the 1911 Census and see if Newman's Lane is mentioned there. I will post what I find.

Scott
    warboy wrote: »
    CAUTION: Pure speculation! There are 4 entries for a Thomas Newman in Griffiths.

- 77 Pound Lane: as owner of a vacant house. I believe from the maps this was one of the buildings that were then in front of McKenna's corner. Think opposite Whelan's veg shop out in the middle of the road where you might stop if you were turning left up William St. These 3 or 4 buildings were knocked to widen Market Street. There is a lane behind them. Perhaps known as Newmans?
    - Renting a garden where McKenna's yard next to the Garda Station was. Basically where the Revenue have now set up. Perhaps Newman's Lane was the name for the backway behind John B's down around to the back of the Harp and Lion.
    - 85 Glanafuca: Near Tarrants on Market Street
    - 21 Pound Lane: Around Whelans Veg Shop

From previous post's link to 1901 entries on Newman's Lane:

1 John Relihan private dwelling
    2 Jeremiah Connor private dwelling
    3 Michael Fitzmaurice private dwelling
    4 John Lacey private dwelling
    5 Michael Murphy private dwelling
    6 William O'Brien private dwelling
    7 Patrick Fennell private dwelling
    8 unoccupied Timber, Iron and Creamery John P. Enright of William St.
    Saw Mill
    9 Thomas Lawler private dwelling
    10 Black smith forge John Stack of Bridewell Lane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Colbert Street

IMScotty wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,

Thanks,
    Scott
    Newmans Lane is now called Mill Lane. It runs down behind John B's and up past the Old McKennas Yard (which now houses the inland revenue commision and out to Colbert Street

Thank you so much for your help.

Scott

Newmans Lane is now called Mill Lane. It runs down behind John B's and up past the Old McKennas Yard (which now houses the inland revenue commision and out to Colbert Street

Problem solved! Thanks for that Colbert St. - and Warboy. Colbert St. is another place that had a name change. Formerly called Bridewell Lane but known to all as Forge Lane (never officially, as far as I know). I think I prefer the unofficial name. It's reminiscent of the time when the street rang with the anvil sounds from the forges of Bill Behan and Tadgh Brennan.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Oui Oui !

Please check your private message box.

Church Newsletter

An elegant addition to the Garden of Europe in Listowel

Fly Trap Patent
    Robert Hanham Cox, Listowel, Ireland

http://www.google.com/patents?id=87ZLAAAAEBAJ&dq=1141039

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Bridewell Road

Hello Colbert Street,
    According to a 1851 valuation of tenements in Listowel a Thomas Newman either owned or rented a house, offices and a large yard in Pound Lane ,which at that time stretched through the whole of William St.From the map it seems that there is a yard backing on to the laneway ,the entrance to which is between Jumbos and Chute's apartments.This laneway goes at the back of Market St. and comes out by Willie Sullivan's which is now a doctor's surgery.It is quite likely that this lane is Newman's .I know for sure from my own ancestors that there were dwelling houses up that lane and my relatives lived there also.
    Bridewell Road.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cmsull

Please could anyone help me. I am trying go get some information about the history of listowel hospital. A relative of mine died around 1940, and i am putting together some history of my family, i was told he died in listowel hospital, but i dont know if the orginal hospital is still there.
    Thanyou

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Many nice Listowel pics at this site http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=listowel&page=1. A lot of them are from Listowel, Canada, but nevertheless, there are a lot of the Listowel, Co. Kerry variety too.

• Advertisement

Hello Colbert Street,
    According to a 1851 valuation of tenements in Listowel a Thomas Newman either owned or rented a house, offices and a large yard in Pound Lane ,which at that time stretched through the whole of William St.From the map it seems that there is a yard backing on to the laneway ,the entrance to which is between Jumbos and Chute's apartments.This laneway goes at the back of Market St. and comes out by Willie Sullivan's which is now a doctor's surgery.It is quite likely that this lane is Newman's .I know for sure from my own ancestors that there were dwelling houses up that lane and my relatives lived there also.
    Bridewell Road.:o

There are two opinions then as to where Newman's Lane was. 'Colbert St.' thinks it may have been the laneway that runs at the back of John B's while 'Bridewell Road' is of the opinion that it was the lane that ran from William St along the back of Market St. I don't know which it was for certain but an ex-pat I spoke with recently, who also had a relation living there, is pretty sure it was the latter.

Colbert St. and Warboy are correct about the whereabouts of Newmans Lane.It's the lane that runs between the back of Charles St.and the rear of the Garda Station and continues down around the back of William St.I was always told by my parents and grand parents that our ancestors always lived in the lane at the rear of Market St .I now know from records that Newmans Lane and the lane at the rear of Market(never known as anything else but the lane at the back of Market St.) are separate places.According to Census 1901 my relatives lived in Newmans Lane and by 1911 they had moved to the lane at the rear of Market St. .So I stand corrected.Bridewell Road:)

Church Newsletter

JohnBandholocausMemorialt676x507.jpg

Church Newsletter

Church Newsletter

Listowelvisit600x450.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Anyone remember the house in billeragh on the tralee road that had the huge hedge which had the name of the family that owned the house cut into it,it was really nicely done,but the hedge has been cut down since:(
    Has anyone a photo of it?

cmsull wrote: »
    Please could anyone help me. I am trying go get some information about the history of listowel hospital. A relative of mine died around 1940, and i am putting together some history of my family, i was told he died in listowel hospital, but i dont know if the orginal hospital is still there.
    Thanyou
    Listowel Hospital is still there.It was always run by the Mercy Order,now in lay hands.If cmsull rang the secretary at 068 21022,she may have information or ring the Mercy Order in Tralee 066 7126336.hope this helps.

• Advertisement

musiciansandvolunteers.jpg

Advertisement