Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I was just going through my car photographs that I've taken over the years and I came across this. I took this picture at the Moynalty show back in 2003:

f_LincolnContm_dd317ab.jpg

It's rare to see an American car with original Irish plates. What county and year is it? (Carchaeologist, you should know this! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I was just going through my car photographs that I've taken over the years and I came across this. I took this picture at the Moynalty show back in 2003:

f_LincolnContm_dd317ab.jpg

It's rare to see an American car with original Irish plates. What county and year is it? (Carchaeologist, you should know this! :D)

This registration number would have been issued somewhere between 2/73 - 5/73.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

That Lincoln Continental was originally an embassay car that at one stage carried armour plating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

I've had these for ages and forgot to post them, all taken at a field day (remember them) in Adamstown, Co. Wexford

Cars003.jpg

Dog_Show009.jpg

Cars005.jpg

Dog_Show005.jpg

Dog_Show011.jpg

Dog_Show006.jpg

Dog_Show008.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

That Lincoln Continental was originally an embassay car that at one stage carried armour plating!
    Must have weighed a ton or six so??she would want good brakes!!!!

• Advertisement

PanhardPL wrote: »
    This registration number would have been issued somewhere between 2/73 - 5/73.
    And its a dublin car being an embassy car, has anyone seen the irish embassy car IRL1?I cant quite remember the story of the registration though...

IRL 1 is actually an English registration number.
    It was the Irish Ambassador car in England, Hugh McCann.

And its a dublin car being an embassy car, has anyone seen the irish embassy car IRL1?I cant quite remember the story of the registration though...

Aye, the Chevrolet Biscayne:

f_1957Chevrolm_efef675.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Wow - she's probably a wedding car now...........nice.

Thanks for that kevin,i couldnt remember the exact story,it comes up on cartell as an irish number.

• Advertisement

Well it would come up on Cartell, it is taxed in Ireland.
    Believe it or not but there was a time when you were able to tax an English registered car in Ireland.

Well it would come up on Cartell, it is taxed in Ireland.
    Believe it or not but there was a time when you were able to tax an English registered car in Ireland.
    Yes, i remember my father telling me that he had his anglia here on english plates for a long time, but then it had to be changed to irish plates around the mid 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

And at that it would have been a special issue in the UK,as The letter I was not used in sequence with county numbers there,unless RL was a county number in Northern Ireland,which I dont think it was?

I worked near Grovener square in London,where you can often see the Canadian embassy car with reg CAN 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

hi5 wrote: »
    And at that it would have been a special issue in the UK,as The letter I was not used in sequence with county numbers
    That was puzzling me also. The letters 'I' and 'Z' were not used on UK plates to avoid confusion with ROI plates which always had either letter on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

reputedly specially issued number for the Embassy...and if its taxed in the UK the guy is taking a huge chance being so high-profile...

It isnt, its taxed in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

if its taxed in ireland and is regd IRL 1, which is a UK plate, maybe it was transferred as ir 11 or 1 rli, both irish numbers.

No, as I explained in an earlier post, there was a time when you could tax an English registered car in Ireland.

Hugh Mc Cann brought the car home it him, taxed it and the next owner taxed it and kept taxing it...

G Luxel wrote: »
    if its taxed in ireland and is regd IRL 1, which is a UK plate, maybe it was transferred as ir 11 or 1 rli, both irish numbers.
    Yes, i agree with kevin,its taxed here as IRL1,a chevrolet biscayne, check cartell and it will tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭andreas_220D

Yes, i agree with kevin,its taxed here as IRL1,a chevrolet biscayne, check cartell and it will tell you.
    Tried IRL1 at cartell but got "No UK vehicle found with that registration." (tried both irish and UK reg queries)

• Advertisement

Tried IRL1 at cartell but got "No UK vehicle found with that registration." (tried both irish and UK reg queries)

That came up for me too, however, I checked that reg. plate before Cartell went all arseways and it is indeed an Irish plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

corktina wrote: »
    reputedly specially issued number for the Embassy...and if its taxed in the UK the guy is taking a huge chance being so high-profile...

Yeah, must have been an absolute exception - the British system introduced back in 1903/4 reserved "Z" & "I" for Irish plates (either of which appears on ALL Irish plates including N.Ireland), and "G", "S", and "V" were reserved for Scotland (which also explains why these letters were not used as serial letters in Ireland up until the 1980's when the original I/Z system started to run out of options.

That came up for me too, however, I checked that reg. plate before Cartell went all arseways and it is indeed an Irish plate.
    Oddness..i definatly got that up on cartell before too,maybe its been scrapped!!!;):p

Oddness..i definatly got that up on cartell before too,maybe its been scrapped

I think the people who run Cartell have made a complete mess of the site.

Yes, i was just on looking up irish cars, and it told me the UK number i entered was not found,even though i entered an irish number on the irish side...grr,that happened last week too.

Gentlemen, forget cartell! Motorcheck.ie is where its at!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Gentlemen, forget cartell! Motorcheck.ie is where its at!
    IRL1 returns as:
    GREEN CHEVROLET OTHER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Eric318

I drove by a Renault Alpine A310 (red) the other day. A RHD: cant be many of these around. Not far from Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

agreed :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Saw this old Irish-reg. Mercedes 200 today in Templeouge:

f_S2300158m_3394da1.jpg

There was also an original Irish Mini Clubman just down the road from the Mercedes but I didn't get a picture of it though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement