Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭tc20

Could be one of his Ben, but wasnt him driving. Also spotted in bray, in a driveway of a house opposite Bray Tennis Club, is a silver W114 coupe. each time i go by, a bit more of the bodywork has disappeared :eek:
    (well not so much disappeared as cut away, good project)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭andreas_220D

MercMad wrote:
    .......sounds like one of Benjamin's cars, he's out that way !

It's a guy called Andreas, like me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Geeks..
    Such harsh criticism from someone so up their own arse are to come out with this stream of verbal diarrhea regarding the less-than-iconic Pete Doherty.
    Always a sell out, Babyshambles. The thing you miss about Doherty is his ability to craft a tune, delving into a romantic genre of London in the 60s and 70s and conveying this sentiment quite akin to the Kinks. His abrasive approach stems from influences from the Clash and the Stooges. These influences coupled with his lyrical, poetic ability makes for great listening. It's his Byronic ideal that gets on most people's nerves..the idealised but flawed character thing..mistaking opiates as a something the romantics dealt in..silly. He takes this way too far in my opinion, to his own detriment. But that's something I don't dwell on. Musically he's not put a foot wrong. Their gigs are incendiary and his magneticness on stage is quite amazing. I'm glad their appeal hasn't extended to the lumpen mass solely due to the unthinking, uninformed morons who chose to buy a tabloid, scan over it, and form idiotic opinions on what is clearly a talented musician. I feel his musicianship must be qualified, not the circus that is his personal life.

Ah.. Magneticness. That elusive form of magnetism. Obviously magneticness is not available to us "unthinking, uninformed morons" who are bound by the strictures of a common language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

I took a look at timburlaine's other posts ( http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=tamburlaine+site%3Aboards.ie&meta= ) - looks like his/her boards.ie account might have been hijacked by some pre-adolescent gobsheen, probably a model for the KrustyBurger employee with the breaky voice "hello MISTER simpson, CAN I take your ORDER"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you are most unfair.:) ...dontcher realise that Music is Art and therefore worthy of study by Academics whereas obviously only people of lower intelligence like us would be interested in the colour of a steering wheel and I doubt if this guy would have any use for anthing ribbed, whether for her pleasure or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dsc01497.jpg

For sale in Tramore, its been there since before Christmas.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mercedes Benz 280CE Coupé (W114?) spotted in Rush today.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,057 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Geeks..

If you're getting no sense of belonging here, tamburlaine, feel free to go elsewhere :rolleyes:

What's that, Mike? Looks like an NSU Prinz, but I don't think it is...

mike65 wrote:
    Dsc01497.jpg

For sale in Tramore, its been there since before Christmas.

Mike.
    What does the sign say "Only in Ireland"?

Does the owner mean "Only one in Ireland"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

Wishbone... haven't seen that one around yet.
    Might be a day visitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

unkel wrote:
    What's that, Mike? Looks like an NSU Prinz, but I don't think it is...

It's a ZAZ 996, a Russian made, rear engined 900cc aircooled car (on Hungarian plates).

It's a design that the Russians copied from indeed the NSU Prinz (who in their turn leaned heavily on the Chevrolet Corvair)

Mercedes Benz 280CE Coupé (W114?) spotted in Rush today.

Wishbone you're spot on - all coupes were W114s. The W115 had the 4cyl engines, all 6pots are W114

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MercMad
    .......sounds like one of Benjamin's cars, he's out that way !

It's a guy called Andreas, like me :-)

.......sorry Andreas, I didn't realise you still had German plates on !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What does the sign say "Only in Ireland"?

Does the owner mean "Only one in Ireland"?
    Maybe the asking price is €10,000... now that would be "only in Ireland". :D

tc20 wrote:
    Wishbone you're spot on - all coupes were W114s. The W115 had the 4cyl engines, all 6pots are W114
    Thanks for that useful clarification tc20. I was afraid I'd get it wrong and be slaughtered by the wealth of knowledge here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

PaulK_CCI thanks for the knowledge!

Mike.

Spotted (and followed to make sure :o ) the little brown 75 Civic that graced these pages recently. Was on my way home from work (i live in Greystones) and saw the car in the flesh, possibly on a test drive. Lady driver, in great nick - the car too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭corelon

Spotted in waterford this weekend.. was in mint condition and god could it move.... taken with my new classy mobile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    water.jpg

Wow... had forgotten how good those looked.

Saw a red Beetle with "53" and stripes at the roundabout in Lucan this evening - got a mad wave from the lad driving it too (I was in a green MGB).

Totally enjoying the "daylight" coming home from work once again, roll on Summer !

MercMad wrote:
    .......sorry Andreas, I didn't realise you still had German plates on !

It's another Andreas. My classics all run on ZV Plates.

It just coincidence that he has the same name/car ;)

• Advertisement

tc20 wrote:

At least there was the 240D 3.0, a W115 with a 5 cyl engine.

BTW, the Vehicle Number Sequence of these cars started with 115.114 :)

Of course Andreas you're right, i'd forgotten about that - my humblest apologies to our oil-burning brethren :o
    Would i be right in saying this was the worlds first production 5cyl diesel?

Probably, and probably the worlds first 5cyl. engine full stop !

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

Sorry guys but I should think records should be checked as I am pretty sure Gardners were the first to build a 5cyl diesel.

Actually it was an off the cuff remark, that I knew I would regret ! :)

I never heard of Gardners, and I assume they are a Commercial manufacturer ?

I know nothing of commercials................always willing to learn though !

PanhardPL wrote:
    Sorry guys but I should think records should be checked as I am pretty sure Gardners were the first to build a 5cyl diesel.

Gardner 7L 5-cyl diesel engines were built for busses (Bristol L5G e.g.) in 1938, but the MB 3L diesel engine was the first 5-cyl diesel used in cars.

BTW, those who are interested in the engine, i'll bring a W108 with a 3L diesel engine from Germany to Ireland in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

MercMad wrote:
    Actually it was an off the cuff remark, that I knew I would regret ! :)

I never heard of Gardners, and I assume they are a Commercial manufacturer ?

I know nothing of commercials................always willing to learn though !
    Gardners built 4,5 and 6 cyl. engines, which were always described as oil engines rather than diesel. They supplied their engines to both truck and bus manufacturers and also for marine and stationery use. They were a very simple design of engine and were very long lasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Blue850

Spotted a tidy Blue MK2 Triumph 2000 (UK L-reg) on an A-frame behind a Discovery in Crusheen on Sunday morning, and theres a 1982 Merc W123 for sale in Kilrush. Camera was left in Galway:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I spotted a car today that I thought had long been extinct in this country! It was a red Fiat Ritmo, & it was on old Irish plates, just near St. Patricks Cathedral. It was the face-lift model (Strada). Looked to be in very good condition, although it was quite a distance from me when I saw it.

No pictures though, I really need to invest in a camera phone.

• Advertisement

'74 Celica near Clonsilla a week or so ago

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement