Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The LandRover is used every day, I pass it each morning and I think the guy has another one too !

Also his neighbour, possibly a relative uses a yellow original Irish reg'd Dolomite Sprint everyday too !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Wedding car so it's kind of cheating (: but here goes anyway:

citroen.JPG

Taken as i walked by a church in Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Saw a UK reg lilac colour Minor a Million westbound on the M4 today Reg was RRG ### sorry no pic as it peeing rain and v. windy at the time. Rare bird if it's genuine....

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Do-more wrote:
    Saw a UK reg lilac colour Minor a Million westbound on the M4 today Reg was RRG ### sorry no pic as it peeing rain and v. windy at the time. Rare bird if it's genuine....
    A friend of mine has one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

theres cetainly one in the North Cork area....a member of the Charleville Club I think.....dont think I ever saw one in the UK as it happens...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Just did a quick check on the net, only 350 produced and now about 40 still known to be "on the road"

One currently for sale in the UK asking £2950

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Just seen an artic carrying two artic trailers and perched on top a rubber bumper MGB GT, hope he doesn't encounter any low bridges or it'll become a Roadster:D

saw an Orange MGB GT on the road in Cork city today...ZV 24xxx...anyone on here?

I did one up last year and sold it locally, it was orange with chrome bumpers and rostyle wheels. I put new sills, door skins and wings on it and resprayed it and it looked very well if its the same car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Eric318

sionnach wrote:
    Wedding car so it's kind of cheating (: but here goes anyway:

citroen.JPG

Taken as i walked by a church in Spain

Lovely Traction!!

This is an 11B from after July 1952.

First you can tell it is a postwar one because of the louvres on the bonnet instead of flaps. If you could see the rear of the car, you also see that there is no ridge around the rear screen.

Then you can tell it is not a 6 cyl (15) because their are no small triangular flaps on the sides of the front grill.

In June 1952, Citroen fitted indicators on the front wings and the rear body, the windscreen wipers were relocated from the top of the windscreen to the bottom, the bumpers became straight as opposed to curved. There were also substantial changes inside the car.

In July 1952, two rear lights and a "square" boot lid hiding the spare wheel and supposedly increasing the size of the boot (earlier cars had a flat boot lid with the spare wheel outside and covered with a round cover). So a short series of cars were produced with modern fitments but still retained the more stylish and desirable "round backside".

This one is a B (Berline) as opposed to a BL (Berline Légère), longer (in fact the same body as the 6 cyl) because you can see that the front wings do not bolt directly to the grill. The grill is convex as opposed to recessed on the BL and the crank hole is oblong as opposed to round on the BL. You could also see that the rounded part of bottom rear doors following the rear wing does not go all the way up to the door handle.

• Advertisement

and for good measure, here is a Pre July 1952 11BL:

vmtrac01st5.jpg

Luckily... it is mine ;)

junkyard wrote:
    I did one up last year and sold it locally, it was orange with chrome bumpers and rostyle wheels. I put new sills, door skins and wings on it and resprayed it and it looked very well if its the same car.

probably is...was going well throught the rush hour traffic in Bishopstown near Dunnes roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Eric318 wrote:
    and for good measure, here is a Pre July 1952 11BL:
    Luckily... it is mine ;)
    That has to have been you I saw on Talbot Street early one Sunday morning about a year or two ago - Fantastic car, I don't imagine it left the factory in white?

Here's another belonging to a friend - we took the engine out last Wednesday after a valve went (on the traction owners club rally :( )

P1010054.JPG

That has to have been you I saw on Talbot Street early one Sunday morning about a year or two ago - Fantastic car, I don't imagine it left the factory in white?

Hmm, probably not. Mine is tucked away in the South of France, sleeping beauty awaiting probably her next prince (next generation?) as it looks like I am now here to stay... :)

When I bought it in... 1983, it was dark pink and metallic grey, with a Peugeot 203 interior, 2cv indicators a tired engine and in serious need of tlc... When I striped the paint down to the metal, I went through a layer of... black indeed :)

I used a 1938 photo taken during a Concours d'Elégance in Paris as a blueprint. It is slightly off-white but not quite ivory, a Mercedes colour actually. 7 coats of the acrylic stuff and a few years of polishing and buffing (I actually never really finished it). The interior is blue, what we call in French "Bleu Pétrole", a Peugeot fabric, and commanded the respect of professionals when it was finished (actually made by my mom...). It also follows the 1938 pictures.

It was my everyday car during 4 years at university and was a wonderful car to drive in the rain and snow, going regularly from Lyons to Nice at a cool and legal 60mph cruise speed, occasionally pushing 70. The speedometer was found to be quite pessimistic when calibrated during a race with a Renault 5. I used to love giving snotty drivers a run for their money on bendy roads in particular, where the Traction has amazing grip. I still have a little notebook where I ticked the Golf GTIs I overtook :)

Beside the colour and the discreet indicators, the car is as it would have left the factory, with original bits all around (even the foglights have the "Cibié Virages et Brouillard" engraving, same brand as the headlights), except the outside mirror! The steering wheel is a period accessory, painted in the same colour as the rest of the car: very nice effect. It won a first prize at a show in Lyon in 1986, with the lady and the dog all 50's style, in front of sexier Traction cabriolets :)

If I had the time now, I would finish rebuilding and fitting a spare gearbox that has been waiting in the shed, redo the whole front axle with modern bits, move the whole car to 12V and fit seat belts. It would be good for another 20 years!! Every time I go to France, it still starts very well!! Last summer I had the radiator redone and fitted with a period temperature gauge sender: the dial is fitted to the steering column, white background like all other instruments, gorgeous!!

Sorry to hear about your friend's car valve :( How did this happen?? It is a post 52, 11B with 15/6 lookalike chrome headlights. I like the two-tone ones, particularly black and green!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Still not sure how it happened. We're replacing the block and will probably need new pistons too. Do you fancy participating? He has no lack of knowledge, but it's fun to shoot the breeze with someone who has Traction skills. He's in Clontarf, so not far from you.

I believe his is an 11B Normale from 1953. The exterior has some wear and tear but the interior is pristine. It also drives (well, drove) fantastically well.

Id love to chip in!! I may even have some bits that could be of use!! Clontarf is right around the corner really. See PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Poor little Triumph Herald waiting to be rescued from House of Fraser (Dundrum). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

God that's sacreligious!

Reliant Robin spotted in Ballykisteen, Co Tipperary. (It's seems to be one of the 'newer' ones so it's probably not really a classic - no reg plate)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

spotted in Luton airport a few weeks back

I thought it was a Ferrari 400 - uh uh, a Bitter, never saw one before

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭andyj22

JustinOval wrote:
    Stag in Mahon -

picture00217oc.jpg

(must get a decent camera phone :rolleyes: )

thats nice like to see my Triumpgs Out~there

Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 BMWE21

Particularly nice to see an original Irish car too. Dublin reg I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah Dublin..............'74 I think !
    spotted in Luton airport a few weeks back

I thought it was a Ferrari 400 - uh uh, a Bitter, never saw one before

.........yeah based upon the Opel Senator "A" Mechanicals. They were not a bad GT car !

Lads, I'm confused! I spotted this Land Rover Discovery with an old (pre '87) Kilkenny plate - VIP. I didn't think they were around that long. :confused:

PS - The tax disc said €45.

Vintage Landrover chassis = vintage tax, lift off the body of your Landrover Discovery and bolt it on to the chassis of your vintage Landrover and you've got a vintage car. You can do it with a Range Rover too, I know of 4 of them. Personally I couldn't be ar*ed, its not worth the hassle, the things drive like tractors anyway.:rolleyes:

junkyard wrote:
    Vintage Landrover chassis = vintage tax, lift off the body of your Landrover Discovery and bolt it on to the chassis of your vintage Landrover and you've got a vintage car. You can do it with a Range Rover too, I know of 4 of them. Personally I couldn't be ar*ed, its not worth the hassle, the things drive like tractors anyway.:rolleyes:
    Well you learn something new everyday. Thanks junkyard. I agree - why the bother?

PS - I see the occasional pre '87 Range Rover - when did they come out officially?

The first one came out in 1970, I remember there was one around my town when they came out first and I was in awe of it, it might as well have been a Lear jet driving down the street as far as I was concerned. I spent my early years dreaming of owning one and when I did buy one you can imagine my disappointment, it was a big let down, what a pile of crap they really are. This was a 1997 model, 4.6 V8, it would pass anything except a petrol pump, 9 mpg on a good day and built like buckaroo, always waiting for something to fall off or blow up in your face, absolute f*cking rubbish, its no wonder the Brits no longer have a motor industry worth talking about.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

junkyard wrote:

or you could just get your hands on a 30+ year old Land Rover tax book and take an angle grinder to your Discovery's chassis plate.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

bloody farmers.... like they dont get enough breaks...

nudge - not 100% serious. Not to be encouraged though

• Advertisement

junkyard wrote:
    I was in awe of it, it might as well have been a Lear jet driving down the street as far as I was concerned. I spent my early years dreaming of owning one and when I did buy one you can imagine my disappointment
    You know what they say junkyard - you should never meet your heroes! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement