Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny shops that are no more

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

Sad to see in touch ( in the marked yard ) closed , walked by it this morning and it closed 3 weeks ago ,liked the owner he was a nice man all the best to him .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

brettmirl wrote: »
    Couple more shops that popped back into my head this week.

The OK House on High Street...what did they actually sell there? I remember they used to sell maps, but what else?

There used to be an arts supply shop on Patrick Street, beside Zuni. Can anyone remember the name? Used to pick up 2HB pencils for school.

Found this pic of High Street too, with O'Carrolls, Whites and Mooneys on the right plus The Monster House. On the left, the sports shop, beside the town hall.

338111.jpg

Sorry to be resurrecting an old thread, although it seems to happen a lot with this one anyway, was reading this thread and feeling nostalgic (coming back to Kilkenny for Christmas though, delighted!). The art and craft shop in Patrick Street was Kenneally's. Think it was the same family that produced the two lads from Engine Alley.

Funny reading this thread. There's shops mentioned in the last couple of pages that had opened AFTER the original thread started.

I laughed being reminded of Riddled With Mystic all the same.

Regarding the egg stain on the cinema, there was another supposed culprit who came from the Sycamores/Aylesbury, same lad got an almighty punch in the eye outside the new cinema a couple of years later.

When you think of that cinema it's amazing. You'd arrive nearly an hour beforehand to join a queue, or else end up at the back of a queue nearly to High Street, to get interrogated by the ould wans at the door and maybe even turned away, then go in to sit on a sticky seat and when the film started everyone would start screaming their heads off, often for the first five minutes of the film. Then lads would start shouting conversations at one
    another, arranging to meet up after and so on. Unbelievable. Why on earth people put themselves through it...but what else were you going to do?

I remember going to see Die Hard With a Vengeance (I think) on a quiet night with a couple of friends, and after getting in, we went back out to buy some sweets at the counter (error not to have gone to Whyte's or Mooney's first of course), and THEN the ould wans kicked us out, saying we were too young.

So what did we do instead? Went to Hennessy video in Kieran Street and got a much more violent John Woo movie and watched it at home.

I remember with the video stores you'd invariably end up with a couple of fines in one place or another so you'd go rent elsewhere when that happened. I went to the Gogglebox in Irishtown one time and they wanted ten pounds in fines, so I walked out and went to the place on John Street (don't remember what it was called).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

brettmirl wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the name of the Indian that was on the lane way behind Whites Pharmacy - Pennyfeather or Pudding Lane.

It was called the Moghul for a while, but what was the original name?

I always wondering why someone didn't turn it in to a nightclub....good location. out of the way....probably a health hazard but sure the same could be same about the field :)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I remember that place was a regular restaurant in the 80's before it became an Indian. Anyone know what it was called then?

Agree it's a prime spot, really surprised nothing has been done with it. Although it looks like it's in fairly shoddy shape at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Sorry to be resurrecting an old thread, although it seems to happen a lot with this one anyway, was reading this thread and feeling nostalgic (coming back to Kilkenny for Christmas though, delighted!). The art and craft shop in Patrick Street was Kenneally's. Think it was the same family that produced the two lads from Engine Alley.

Funny reading this thread. There's shops mentioned in the last couple of pages that had opened AFTER the original thread started.

I laughed being reminded of Riddled With Mystic all the same.

Regarding the egg stain on the cinema, there was another supposed culprit who came from the Sycamores/Aylesbury, same lad got an almighty punch in the eye outside the new cinema a couple of years later.

When you think of that cinema it's amazing. You'd arrive nearly an hour beforehand to join a queue, or else end up at the back of a queue nearly to High Street, to get interrogated by the ould wans at the door and maybe even turned away, then go in to sit on a sticky seat and when the film started everyone would start screaming their heads off, often for the first five minutes of the film. Then lads would start shouting conversations at one
    another, arranging to meet up after and so on. Unbelievable. Why on earth people put themselves through it...but what else were you going to do?

I remember going to see Die Hard With a Vengeance (I think) on a quiet night with a couple of friends, and after getting in, we went back out to buy some sweets at the counter (error not to have gone to Whyte's or Mooney's first of course), and THEN the ould wans kicked us out, saying we were too young.

So what did we do instead? Went to Hennessy video in Kieran Street and got a much more violent John Woo movie and watched it at home.

I remember with the video stores you'd invariably end up with a couple of fines in one place or another so you'd go rent elsewhere when that happened. I went to the Gogglebox in Irishtown one time and they wanted ten pounds in fines, so I walked out and went to the place on John Street (don't remember what it was called).
    Nice pic of High Street.My CSI skills are not the best but I may have owned the little Fiat 127 343DIP, any idea what year it was taken ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

No idea, I only replied to someone who posted it. But there's an 87 reg in it and it's unlikely to much later than that from all the cars in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Threadhead wrote: »
    I remember that place was a regular restaurant in the 80's before it became an Indian. Anyone know what it was called then?

Agree it's a prime spot, really surprised nothing has been done with it. Although it looks like it's in fairly shoddy shape at the moment.

Mulhall's. The story a few years ago was that Eamon Langton had bought it and was planning to do all manner of things with it. I've a vague notion - won't swear to it - that plans for going up a few floors were shot down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

It was either The Movie House, which was near the bridge or The Video Centre which was at the other end near the train station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Memories on John St.
    Leonard's Newsagents High St,
    Mooneys/Whites High St,
    Sports Shop, High St,
    Metro, High St,
    Sony Centre, High St,
    Mulhalls, High St,
    Soundwaves, Patrick St,
    Griffins, Rose Inn St,
    Cassidys, High St/Parliament St
    Moores, Parliament St
    Dores Butchers, High St,
    Whites Butchers, Rose Inn St,
    Cody's Bookshop, Batemans Quay
    Wigoders, James St,
    The Aubergine, High St,
    Educational Supplies, Rose Inn St,
    Keneally's Arts and Crafts, Patrick St.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

holyhead wrote: »
    Memories on John St.
    Leonard's Newsagents High St,
    Mooneys/Whites High St,
    Sports Shop, High St,
    Metro, High St,
    Sony Centre, High St,
    Mulhalls, High St,
    Soundwaves, Patrick St,
    Griffins, Rose Inn St,
    Cassidys, High St/Parliament St
    Moores, Parliament St
    Dores Butchers, High St,
    Whites Butchers, Rose Inn St,
    Cody's Bookshop, Batemans Quay
    Wigoders, James St,
    The Aubergine, High St,
    Educational Supplies, Rose Inn St,
    Keneally's Arts and Crafts, Patrick St.
    Sad to say you can add Burke's Newsagents in Rose Inn Street to that list closing on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

KK4SAM wrote: »
    Sad to say you can add Burke's Newsagents in Rose Inn Street to that list closing on Friday.

Oh yea that must be there donkeys years.
    The reality is you can make far more return on premises in the centre of Kilkenny by having it let as a coffee shop etc rather than basic providers like butchers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ghost_rider

Would love to see a larger version of that picture. Anyone know of a bigger one floating around the old interweb anywhere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Oh dear. What a pity. Making way for an extended Tynan's..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Smiler's going out business? I can't imagine why.

Threadhead wrote: »

Mulhall's? It's an awful waste of prime space in the centre. It has huge value and potential.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

road_high wrote: »
    Mulhall's? It's an awful waste of prime space in the centre. It has huge value and potential.

Very little footfall, I don't think it does.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Very little footfall, I don't think it does.

If something is worth going to it'll generate its own footfall. Especially a restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

Burkes went today I heard on KCLR sad to see they were lovely in there and kept my local paper for me for years

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ellen Harvey
    The Disappointed Tourist project to show at the Butler

Hello to all people who are interested in lost sites in Kilkenny who might like to see their favourite site painted . . .

I'm about to exhibit my project: The Disappointed Tourist at the Butler Gallery, opening April 15.

For the project, I've painted over 260 places submitted by the public in response to the question "Is there some place that no longer exists that you'd like to be able to visit or revisit?"

I've love to be able to include some Kilkenny locations -- any suggestions? You can submit sites at www.disappointedtourist.org. or just email me at studio@ellenharvey.info

Many thanks in advance,

Ellen Harvey (www.ellenharvey.info)

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

MCgraths hardware Patrick Street, Reynolds butchers high street where Manning travel agency is, Healy hardware kieran street, Callaghan Connolly where Dunnes stores is Connolly garage the top of John street.

• Advertisement
Advertisement