Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny shops that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Paigne

brettmirl wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the name of the Indian that was on the lane way behind Whites Pharmacy - Pennyfeather or Pudding Lane.

It was called the Moghul for a while, but what was the original name?

Was it The Bengal? I think it was anyway, loved that place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Paigne wrote: »
    Was it The Bengal? I think it was anyway, loved that place!

Had one fantastic dinner there, lovely. Also had a disastrous dinner where I got my food a full half an hour after everyone else. Hit and miss. It's gone a while now isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

It was The Bengal, the Moghul and something else before that.

I've never got over Miss Purcell's ice-cream shop. It was where Oliver's photography is now - or thereabouts.
    When I die and go to heaven she better be there with a "six-penny glass" and blackcurrant cordial:).

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Paigne

brettmirl wrote: »
    It was The Bengal, the Moghul and something else before that.

Before it was Muhall's restaurant wasn't it? I thought the Bengal was the first Indian there.
    Had one fantastic dinner there, lovely. Also had a disastrous dinner where I got my food a full half an hour after everyone else. Hit and miss. It's gone a while now isn't it?

Yeah it's gone ages, it could be hit and miss alright but they did some awesome dishes, the crab claws, loved them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

This forum brings me back to childhood. A big day out to Kilkenny, getting the bus to the Parade, into Pauls for shoes or clothes, lunch in Mulhalls, the Mammy getting the hair done in a place roughly where Allens is now. There was a shop on the corner, junction of High Street and Rose Inn Street that sold rotisserie chickens. I can still smell them. The Mam used to bring one home on the bus, drove the other passengers mad with the hunger! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

That was Elliotts

Thanks, JC, I was only about 7 at the time, but God, the smell, lovely! I think the hairdresser the Mam went to was called "Maureens" on High Street, around Allens somewhere. There was a long garden out the back with an aviary, the hairdresser used to let me go out there to play.

madmaggie wrote: »
    Thanks, JC, I was only about 7 at the time, but God, the smell, lovely! I think the hairdresser the Mam went to was called "Maureens" on High Street, around Allens somewhere. There was a long garden out the back with an aviary, the hairdresser used to let me go out there to play.
    Yea - Maureen Allen. She still has a beauty salon but it's in John St now - beside O'Keeffe's Garden Centre. It's called Maureen O'Keeffe's now but her maiden name was Allen. She's always busy - it has a good reputation. She might remember your Mam!

inthehat wrote: »
    Yea - Maureen Allen. She still has a beauty salon but it's in John St now - beside O'Keeffe's Garden Centre. It's called Maureen O'Keeffe's now but her maiden name was Allen. She's always busy - it has a good reputation. She might remember your Mam!

Wow, thanks for that info, inthehat, I usually pop into Gardenia when in Kilkenny. I thought that lady would be long retired, but when you're seven, everyone looks ancient! :)

• Advertisement

Couple more shops that popped back into my head this week.

The OK House on High Street...what did they actually sell there? I remember they used to sell maps, but what else?

There used to be an arts supply shop on Patrick Street, beside Zuni. Can anyone remember the name? Used to pick up 2HB pencils for school.

Found this pic of High Street too, with O'Carrolls, Whites and Mooneys on the right plus The Monster House. On the left, the sports shop, beside the town hall.

338111.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

The OK House also sold pipes, Zippo lighters, souvenirs, pipe tobacco, ornaments……..all manner of stuff.

The shop in Patrick St was called The Arts and Craft Centre.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I remember all of the smoking stuff. It was also a newsagent; my grandmother would go in there every week to get her RTE guide and other magazines. They'd also order in a copy of whatever comic I was reading at the time.

I used to get most of my comics in Daly's Newsagents at the top of John Street or Burkes on Rose Inn Street.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

What was the newsagents beside toymaster?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

What was the newsagents beside toymaster?

Leonard's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

In Touch newsagent beside Dunnes closed last Saturday. A shame really, was in there every week for the last ~10 years, the staff were very friendly too

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dricky74

My Grandmother used to work in the OK House. Old Mr Griffin that ran it used to let us take a Kojak lollypop out of a big jar everytime we went in. I remember the dilemma of trying to decide what colour to take..... Simple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Very sad about In Touch, that had been there for a good 30 years anyway. Always said to see a newsagents closing down.

I have hazy memories of a tobacconist (maybe a newsagent too) where The Ground Floor cafe is now on High Street. Can anyone else remember that?

Threadhead wrote: »
    I have hazy memories of a tobacconist (maybe a newsagent too) where The Ground Floor cafe is now on High Street. Can anyone else remember that?

It was Ryan's. Always seemed to be really dark in there.

Newspapers and mags on the left and all the tobacco stuff on the right hand side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Threadhead wrote: »
    Very sad about In Touch, that had been there for a good 30 years anyway. Always said to see a newsagents closing down.

Used do a roaring trade back in the day. Dunnes extended their shop and blocked them off basically. Also Dunnes sell all that stuff now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Can add blaa blaa blaa to the list now unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Bollocks.

They were trying to sell it on though weren't they?

We should all chip in, get a whip around going.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

kkhornet wrote: »
    Can add blaa blaa blaa to the list now unfortunately

Seriously? Lovely sandwiches and staff in there. Can't imagine bar likely paying mad rents they'd did good business there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I think blaa blaa blaa owners had been easing out towards retirement for the last few years anyway. Great foid option especially in sunny weather, will miss them.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Twas the best breakfast sandwich in town

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Ate there everyone and again. It was a unique setup. It will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Comerman

I used to buy pellets for my air rifle in Griffins, used to be where the "clothing/shirt shop" below the wheatsheaf pub was now called Hendersons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I loved Griffens, I used to buy Airfix model airplane kits there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Comerman

catbear wrote: »
    I loved Griffens, I used to buy Airfix model airplane kits there.

Ah yeah, the little box with a 1001 tiny pieces and a tube of bostik

Advertisement