Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny shops that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Dear Captain Havoc.
    You set the old grey matter into action, we think "The New Park Inn", what about Minogues flower shop in vicar St and a bit out of town, The Cats Laugh though Pauline McGlynn only run it for a short time, so many came and then went.
    Thanks for the memory, Lipton's anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Joe Walsh's Comer Rd. great for live music on a Sunday morning as was the Carmel Hotel.The Stargazers from Cork played regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 underpantshead

does anyone remember "Panic" in John's St? it is where "The Cutting Room" is now - opposite the county hall. i have a vague memory of getting iron maiden posters and tshirts there! :p

also the music shop in Patricks St - wasnt that called Soundwaves? used to love that place! i think the owner went off to be a priest or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Don't remember the "Panic" shop. But there was a sweet shop there called From Dawn Til Dusk for about a year. Also The Movie House on the opposite side where Clodagh Daly Auctioneers is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

McDonalds used to be the Vic snooker club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Anyone remember many comic book stores in Kilkenny?

From the 90's I can remember Arkham Comics which was on Kieran Street, next to Essaness, where the tea shop is now. (It was also a sex shop for many years)

And then from about 1994-1997 there was Butt Magic at the top of John Street next to the old Perch shop, which had a good selection of stuff.

Those are the only ones I can remember. There hasn't been one since Butt Magic closed down.

Small Sweetshops and groceries that have closed over the years.
    Dowlings Upper Patricks street
    Clohasseys Upper Patrick Street
    Sean Byrnes Games Green
    Ceasers Stephen Street
    Mullallys Abbey Square
    Ó Brien James Street
    Ryans The Butts Green
    Byrnes Granges Road
    Twoomys Freshford Road
    Kennys Troysgate
    Forans Vicar Street
    The Tower Dean Street
    Kirwins Castlecomer Road
    Byrnes Castlecomer Road
    The Beehive Dublin Road

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The Beehive,that reminded me of East End Stores further down towards the ring road,at the original corner of Sion Rd.

Ye. Forgot that one Mealys. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

KK4SAM wrote: »
    Rantan wrote: »
    That was Buster Leahy's now appartments :confused:

And the little scallywags of the area used to stick their heads in the door of the shop and sing

'What goes up but never goes down ................... '

What's the missing 3 words?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sarahjaney

Oh I love this thread :) all the memories!!!
    Anyone remember the small bakery shop in John st run by 2 little old ladies. Did the best lemon curd sponge cake ever. It got knocked down for O'Faolain's I think.
    Going into Monster House and Good's when they fabric and haberdashery depts!! the treasures there. I was in Monster House several years ago went upstairs to some offices and the stairs with mustard carpet and wooden bannisters was still there! Such a pity the place was gutted by the fire but it looks well now.
    Friday lunchtimes going to Andy's chipper on the parade, having to jump up so he could see me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

The pub mentioned earlier was Walsh's on the comer road. The bakery was the mascot

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

'What goes up but never goes down ................... '

What's the missing 3 words?

It's only 2 words, but 'your age' is the answer I have heard to this riddle :rolleyes:

Old World Store
    Remember Mr .Browns Shop for all you School Craft work, Basket weaving in CBS Primary,
    Drawers and drawers of embellishments .
    On a more sinister note, we believed to be the gentleman that hand crafted the leather straps for the Christian Brothers, long one short ones sharp ones, still feel the pain in the cold weather.

McGraths Hardware Patrick Street:
    Gifted salesmen, by the time you exchanged pleasantries’ they would be the rickety stepladder and have the very solution in front of your very eyes.
    Some say you can get nothing in the town since McGraths closed.
    Must be close to fifteen years now?

SORRY THAT IS INCORRECT__________ it's...... "Buster Leahy's Prices"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Anyone remember a restaurant/chipper on Kieran St, near the top beside Maggies - think it was called Burgerland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

brettmirl wrote: »
    Anyone remember a restaurant/chipper on Kieran St, near the top beside Maggies - think it was called Burgerland ?

Yes I sure do remember this I remember eating chips and sausages in this many years ago also anyone remember the Thursday markets in wolfe tone street car park and earlier on johns green ?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Or the chipper where Poc Fada pub is now. Think it was called Big Snack. The market in Wolfe tone st car park......there brings back some memories. Used to buy fireworks there at Halloween. 2 bottles of warm cadet for 20p

We had McGinty's takeaway when FitzMaurice's book shop closed down.

• Advertisement

Butcher Shops that have closed on our main streets :
    Irishtown: Phelans ?
    High Street: Dinny Meany
    High Street: Mr. Doheny
    High Street: Reynolds
    Parliament/High Street:Whites
    John's Street: Egan's
    John's Street: Famous Bacon place opposite Langton's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Jim Dwyers?

brettmirl wrote: »
    Vaguely remember it,was it where Paddy Rodgers jewellery shop was at the bottom the steps ?

It was up a bit further just across from Bollard's.

Go to 21:22 on this video for a glimpse of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abC9YY4bQ_Y

By the way, that film was shot in Kilkenny in 1983 and there's an amazing amount of old Kilkenny shots in it. It pretty much blew my mind when I saw it first. Especially the shots outside Tynan's which show that the Market Yard area didn't even exist.

Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Nice post.

I can't believe the pumphouse wasn't always the pumphouse! I'd assumed it was that way for donkey's years.

Yeah, it's mad. And that vegetable shop that just came out of nowhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

Irishtown: Phelans ?
    High Street: Dinny Meany
    High Street: Mr. Doheny
    High Street: Reynolds
    Parliament/High Street:Whites
    John's Street: Egan's

Dinny was my grand uncle.

my mam used work in the shop for him and i used often be there after school when i was a young lad

• Registered Users Posts: 41 alz007

manus30 wrote: »
    i remember the egg stain alright! i remember the lad that threw it too. i wont name him here but he was always around town wearing a bikers jacket and had a mohican for a long time.
    have not seen him around in years though, maybe being banned from the regent was too much for him.....:(
    the memory of that egg stain on the cinema screen made me laugh. it's funny how urban legends go. I don't know who you heard threw that egg but supposedly the guy that threw it from our folklore never wore a biker jacket or had a mohican and is now living in Canada. Possibly on the run from said vandalism :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3 katymoo

Hi!

Just found this board and thread.

My Mom comes from Kilkenny and I remember long school holidays there. I have a photo of my brother and I outside Farrell's florist when we were 4 and 3 - can you tell me what shop is there in it's place now?

Many thanks:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

katymoo wrote: »
    Hi!

Just found this board and thread.

My Mom comes from Kilkenny and I remember long school holidays there. I have a photo of my brother and I outside Farrell's florist when we were 4 and 3 - can you tell me what shop is there in it's place now?

Many thanks:)[/QUOTE

Yes, I remember it well, HIgh St, the Sony Centre is trading from there now

Advertisement