Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny shops that are no more

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

keithj75 wrote: »
    I have particularly fond memories of Mooneys, as its where we used buy our sweets before going to the Regent Cinema on William St.

Mmmmmmmmm, quarter of apple drops.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

keithj75 wrote: »
    ...Rose Inn St: Bretts barber...
    Was the unfortunately named Dick Brett :) that one or the one on Kieran Street?
    Used to get my hair cut in there (rose inn st.) as a young lad all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Surprised no one has mentioned Elliots deli on the parade. Ladbrookes there now. the record shop in Patricks street was owned by Frank from Carlow - nice fella. Where the hotel is further up Patricks street used to be SEHB and Stathams garage.

How about upper John street used to be oneills shop - sold loose tea, biscuits etc. across the road was the Kilkenny Motor Company and where the furniture shop is was Connollys Garage. opposite Esso depot on barrack st ( sometimes known incorrectly as lower comer rd) was second branch of The motor company owned by Tynans.now apartments and vacant shops - progress

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BambooBob

Hello again. The barber on Rose Inn Street was Billy Brett. Also gone from the same street is Andy's Tavern. I think it is Lanigan's now. Can anyone tell me what was the name of the convenience shop opposite St Patrick's Church on the corner with Jacob St.
    I used to pass Leahy's grocery shop just off Father Hayden Road. I later became Mannings before closing down. You also had Shaughnessy's on Upper Patrick Street just at the Kells Road. It later became Del Pappas and is now a chinese. I barely remember Bradburys on High Street. It was a cafe to the best of my recall.

I fergot to mention Nolan's hardware on Bateman quay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

The Coffee Club where Mizzoni's is now used to do the best breakfast in town, hands down.

Also, can anyone remember the Tower Newsagent at the foot of Canice's steps?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Threadhead wrote: »
    Also, can anyone remember the Tower Newsagent at the foot of Canice's steps?

Yeah Monaghans, you also had Cleeres supermarket and the Red Lion around the corner on Vicar St. where the Kilkenny Inn is now.

On Gaol Road you had the launderette on one side and on the opposite side was the lighthouse bar or was that on the next corner futher down? I remember Cleeres. I thought it was more of a fruit 'n' veg setup. Granny used send me down from High Street to get her supplies. Hard to believe they got a hotel into the site. You had Renehan's garade around the corner in Green Street, which morphed into the now defunct Classic Furniture. On Dean Street you had Phil Treacy Renault Garage. What was on the site where the Esso service station is now located opposite what was Treacy's?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Vague memories of Farmer John's (?) on New Street (?) around where Ormond St meets New Street. Anyway, used to sell frozen food I think?

I'm really showing my age now but does anyone remember Mrs Purcell's ice-cream shop in High St, - near where Woolworths (now Paris Texas) used to be, - at the Parade side? It was really dark inside, - big old wooden counter and wooden benches to sit on. You got a bowl of icecream with a dash of cordial of your choice - lime, orange, raspberry or blackcurrant. It was amazing, - ice cream never tasted so good since! And does anyone remember the Wimpy, - fast food place around where the Credit Union is now. It was THE place to hang out in the late sixties and early seventies. Ah the memories!!!!:)

• Advertisement

The more i think about it the more places i recall. I used love the Knick Knack shop where O'Neills is now on High Street. Just up the lane you had the aforementioned Army & Navy store. Crotty's which is now Paris Texas was a fine restaraunt. Their used to be a second hand bookstore near Michael Dore's on High Street. You had the Aubergine beside the post office. I remember the railway bridge which ran across towards High Hayes Terrace. I remember Kellys, which was a boutique where Subway is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Btr wrote: »
    How about upper John street used to be oneills shop - sold loose tea, biscuits etc. across the road was the Kilkenny Motor Company and where the furniture shop is was Connollys Garage. opposite Esso depot on barrack st ( sometimes known incorrectly as lower comer rd) was second branch of The motor company owned by Tynans.now apartments and vacant shops - progress

Where was O'Neills shop?

I remember a lot of old shops on John St but not that one.

They're used to be a lot of sweet shops - Ann's, Gaffney's, Moore's, Tierney's, Lewis', Walsh's. Few drapery shops - Noonan's and McDonalds.
    Norwoods jewelery shop.

Anyone remember when Egan's was a butcher shop? Used to be three butchers side-by-side there. Busty Sullivan's, Egan's and I can't remember the name of the third one. There used to be Shiels fish shop a bit further down too.

Breathnach's used to be Jim Langton's and the World's End was the Perch.
    Matt The Millers used to be Hennessy's and Smith's before that.
    Biddy Early's was the Arch Bar.

Oneills , if I have the name right was where the perch was / is. I remember Egans but I'm curious as to whether you're remembering the original shop or the one where Donny has the pub now ? I vaguely remember that was a shop called Wilsons or Wilsdens before that. Was the third butchers called Walshs? Seem to remember they had another shop on high street. And remember the butchers where Lewis' was? Dwyers but one of the butchers was kclr's Johnny Walsh

Matt the Millers was Grogans before it was Matts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

All jokes aside... what was there before Dunne's Stores?

Bloody massive site that is, right in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭who_am_I?

For dunnes, All I can remember was an unpaved car-park beside the market yard in the early 80's

who_am_I? wrote: »
    For dunnes, All I can remember was an unpaved car-park beside the market yard in the early 80's

It was originally Callaghan and Connollys a furniture company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Peacewatcher

Saxone shoe shop was beside the Town Hall, anyone remember it? I used to go in there to hear the girl from the North speaking in the 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mcshez

There was a shop on the Dublin road near the top of Maudlin street called the Beehive I think. I remember John kenny's shop too. Used to go during indoor soccer on a Saturday morning when I was about 8 or 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I remember being a wee kid going down Kieran Street and I remember where Dunnes is now was just like a manky gravel car park that stretched down near to the river. There was none of your Blueberry's then, that's for sure.

• Advertisement

It's far from Blueberry we were reared.

(In my case it's about 6 miles).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭eosirl08.

the beehive. what a place they used to sell single fags for 10p i think it was

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

There used to be a tiny shop out in Freshford over by the church that used to sell Lep, a soft drink. That stuff was gorgeous. I wonder can it be got anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

fabbydabby wrote: »
    All jokes aside... what was there before Dunne's Stores?

Bloody massive site that is, right in the city centre.
    This is just from memory so it will probably be wrong but here goes. I think the market yard was between the brewery and a wall that ran from kytlers down to the river. I remember there were a lot of lockup units either part of this wall or elsewhere around the yard. The area between the wall and Johns bridge was mostly garden plots that ran from the rear of houses on Kieran street down to the river. There was no road connecting Johns bridge to the market yard.

Paul Henry has a painting in the Bulter gallery collection called The Tholsel Kilkenny which showed these plots as having orchards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

Cathy Clohessy's 'sweet shop' in the Village now a betting shop, Shaughnessy's garage & bicycle shop across the road, Harringtons shop beside Shaughnessys and Shaughnessys bought this in the late 70s before they had the shop further up the street.

Riddled with Mystic, beside Uncle Sam's.

It's where all the hip cool grunge kids used to buy their ponchos way back when.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Its hard to beat a hair cut in Jacks McGraths (now Maggies ) down to the ice cream parlor in the La Caseta getting the beads and bits for Alfi Cullens schools project and a pound of sausages in Dinnie Meany's home on the Freshford bus for 3.0d

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Anyone remember Wimpy on High St.? Think it was where the credit union is now,or there abouts

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Ye- I remember that.They has a glass serving hatch onto High Street can't remember if there was an seated area inside .I was very narrow maybe one door up from the Credit union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Wasn't there 2 or 3 story clothes shop between where the credit union is and the Butter Slip - can anyone remember the name?

Advertisement