Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny shops that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 katymoo

katymoo wrote: »
    Hi!

Just found this board and thread.

My Mom comes from Kilkenny and I remember long school holidays there. I have a photo of my brother and I outside Farrell's florist when we were 4 and 3 - can you tell me what shop is there in it's place now?

Many thanks:)[/QUOTE

Yes, I remember it well, HIgh St, the Sony Centre is trading from there now

Thank you so much!!!;) I'll try and find on google maps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 katymoo

Shame:( You'd hardly know it was ever there. That distinctive front and pillar - gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Lanigan's garage on patrick street - been TC Tyres for ages. Used to have the petrol pumps out the front but they went.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The Mulhalls brand was selling recently, don't know if it still is. It wasn't produced in Kilkenny though, I know Pat the Baker bought it originally.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I only had a brief read through all the thread so apologies if any of these have been mentioned before.

The shop that was right beside Gas House Lane. It's across the road from the MacDonagh centre and on the roundabout. I remember going in there with my mum when I was about 4 years old. The woman had a cat. I was scared ****less of it.

0f6e9f71ab5ffbd3c966caf484514d07.png?1359660804

Also, we went into Moore's nearly every day. My mum bought ham, the newspaper and a few other things in there. I preferred going in with my dad though. He bought me a Snickers King Size. None of this Duo crap that they have nowadays.

8d9f01c4aad853e928b89643af913116.png?1359661052

Kennedy's up in Fatima Place was another favourite when we were younger. We went there every day almost for our lunch. They did lovely baps in there. Only three allowed in the shop at any time though. There was some race on to get there before everyone else.
    ergonomics wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the shortlived skate shop on James' Street?

Yes. Short-lived, just like every other shop that was before it and has been there since.

His main clientele were the lads from the C.B.S. who only ever bought Refresher bars in there. Never had a chance.

The Mulhalls brand was selling recently

Really? I wasn't aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

That shop front with all the cats hanging out inside was a bit disconcerting when you were walking past. Just a load of cats hanging out at a window.

And speaking of cats and Kilkenny shops that are no more, we can add the Black Cat to this list.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Sky King wrote: »
    Really? I wasn't aware of that.

I picked up a loaf of it when I was studying in Shannon more than a few years ago, I was very surprised. My mum used to work there right until it was closed.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hmv, sadly :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Threadhead wrote: »
    That shop front with all the cats hanging out inside was a bit disconcerting when you were walking past. Just a load of cats hanging out at a window.

And speaking of cats and Kilkenny shops that are no more, we can add the Black Cat to this list.

The petrol station??? If so why were they always more expensive for Petrol/Diesel than anywhere else :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Threadhead wrote: »

Is the Black Cat gone?

We passed by it every day after school. Used to pop in for a few Freddo bars. She made up the prices for things though and never, ever scanned them. The same items could cost you more or less the next day. Crazy way to run a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭earlytobed

The record shop in the arcade, Pops n Posters. Kay in her leather trousers!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

That shop beside gas house lane, it was called "Banneys".......my granny used to send me there.That's about 30 years ago.

Kennedys in Fatima, I remember it well......but I only remember it before they did food!

The skate shop on James' St....was that where O'Briens Bicycles were?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Can add spar on rose inn street to this list now

kkhornet wrote: »
    Can add spar on rose inn street to this list now

Was more than surprised at that one...always seemed busy and doing a good trade. Plus the shop was well kitted out.
    Reckon the rents must be crippling there as it's had a huge turnover of tenants for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I noticed Paris Texas' doors are shut also. Anyone know what's happening there?

It's also not listed for the final gig of the Rhythm and Roots at present, and it usually hosts that every year. That gig takes place on May 6th so it doesn't bode well long term for Paris Texas.

ft9 wrote: »
    I noticed Paris Texas' doors are shut also. Anyone know what's happening there?

Renovations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I only had a brief read through all the thread so apologies if any of these have been mentioned before.

The shop that was right beside Gas House Lane. It's across the road from the MacDonagh centre and on the roundabout. I remember going in there with my mum when I was about 4 years old. The woman had a cat. I was scared ****less of it.

0f6e9f71ab5ffbd3c966caf484514d07.png?1359660804

Think that shop was called Grace's?

And there was Sammy Johnston's Esso Station and Funeral home across the road, where the Polish shop and Portuguese restaurant are now.

• Advertisement

What was the deal with that place being full of cats for ages? One night I walked past and there were 5 cats sitting in the window. For months afterwards, you'd just see different cats hanging around in there, sitting in the window, watching the world go by.

brettmirl wrote: »
    Think that shop was called Grace's?

And there was Sammy Johnston's Esso Station and Funeral home across the road, where the Polish shop and Portuguese restaurant are now.

Yeah, it was Graces alight, but even before that it was Baaneys (spelling)....

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Li Gardens and the Spar on Rose Inn Street look to be shut.

Not sure about the Spar (could be for renovations, new though so unlikely) but Li Gardens been boarded up from a few weeks now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Culletons (kebab and chip shop) on friary street is also still closed, used to love that place, getting a kebab after a long night out.

Wimbago wrote: »
    Li Gardens and the Spar on Rose Inn Street look to be shut.

Not sure about the Spar (could be for renovations, new though so unlikely) but Li Gardens been boarded up from a few weeks now

They were removing some of the deli display units there this eve. A shame to see it go. Wonder what will go there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Does anyone remember instant tea? I am sure it was brooke bond's, me thinks it didn't catch on.

I think "Baney's" was actually Byrnes, - "Baney Byrne's" was what it went by as far as I know.It was Grace's after that. Does anyone remember Mrs Purcell's icecream shop in high st, -somewhere around where Oliver's Photographers is now, - going back to the early sixties now so there might not be too many of ye who can trace back that far:)!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dricky74

Digitalism wrote: »
    Culletons (kebab and chip shop) on friary street is also still closed, used to love that place, getting a kebab after a long night out.

Long before there were kebabs in Friary Street, I remember stopping at old Mrs Culletons on the way home from Senior Infants in the Pres (yes, we could walk home in groups safely in those days) to get chocolate toffee mice. Hard as the hob of hell and way to big for a 5 year old to eat in one go. Had to be gnawed at for a while :pac:.

Can anyone remember the sweet shop across from there? I want to say Leahy's, but am only guessing. First time I ever saw a Macaroon Bar was in his window. I drove him demented asking for the 'coconut bar' which he couldn't find. Ended up standing in the street, pointing at it through the window. Simple days. He used to sell ha'penny sweets long after everyone else stopped. Lovely surprise when you asked for 10 penny sweets and he handed you 20 for the same price. A whole 10p.
    Was there a coal yard beside it?

That was Ryan's shop. I used to go in there for my fix of Fizzle Sticks. I used to hide them in my pencil case! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Does anyone remember the name of the Indian that was on the lane way behind Whites Pharmacy - Pennyfeather or Pudding Lane.

It was called the Moghul for a while, but what was the original name?

Advertisement