Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Dazzler wrote:
    It has a world class golf course and beach. .... But, instead of capitalising on these unique selling points, the town has clearly stagnated and not made any investment in itself or the future. As a result you have the dump that is BB now.

The town is not capitalizing on the golf course? I was under the impression that the golf course was world-famous.

Dazzler wrote:
    There are so many other towns that cater for tourists far better, why bother to return? It is all about first impressions. If I am a typical cross section of society, then that does not bode well for the town.

If you were God for a day, what specific improvements would you make to Ballybunion?

Dazzler wrote:
    But then again, if the town sorted itself out, where would all the undesirables go on holidays???:confused:

They can go join the rest of the undesireables in France. :D

9,002 views!

The Quest for 10,000 begins!

(cue The Long Ranger Music!)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

No town deserves insults like "dump" thrown at it. I think Ballybunion is a throwback to another age. Much of it is little changed since the sixties. So there are a few blackspots, but lighten up guys, this is our own you're slagging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Hi Progen I was working there for the Rally weekend - things went off pretty well considering the crowd we had there - and the main thing of course that everyone got home from it safely. :)

I agree with you that BB needs more investment to bring it up to where Killarney, Kenmare & Dingle etc are now. That was a problem I saw for myself when I was there back in the early 90's.

The connection with Limerick troublemakers is BB's main problem as they don't seem to go anywhere else for their summer holidays. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

fiesolelargewebview2dk.jpg

I'll just have to go back and see for myself.

• Advertisement

This is view from behind the church.Note the cars etc.

patterndayballybunion29pn.jpg

Is this now the site of the 'new' Graveyard ?

:confused:
    Thursday 11th of May 2006 04:50 pm
    Kerry's Eye launches column dedicated to the Polish community
    The significant increase of Polish people living in the Kerry has prompted one local publication to begin a column dedicated to the community. This week the Kerry's Eye has launched a column which will bring the Polish people a weekly update of the latest news from their homeland. There are now over 116,000 Polish people working in Ireland. News Editor Colin Lacey says he wouldn't rule out the possibility of expanding the column in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Progen

:confused:

Whats wrong?

There's nothing wrong. I just didn't know there was such a large Polish population in Kerry.

So what's going on in the village? The Kerryman, as usual, has not updated it's website. It's still showing the 13 April issue. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Dazzler has a point. Sometimes its hard to hear negative comments about something we love (or about ourselves). But if they are true, then we have to accept them and try to improve them.

I love Ballybunion, but it is showing its age, and living on former glory. Until last year or two, there has been little investment in the town, and no new projects. But this year we see the opening of new Tintean theatre, the foundations for new sports centre are laid, and planning permission granted for new hotel.

I think trouble with BB is same trouble with many Irish towns (and people!) We have had it good during Celtic Tiger and not had to work hard for reward/success. Things came easy. Now we should pull up socks and get back to offering cornerstones of commerce..... customer service, tidy / clean workplace, polite staff, etc

Snow: if Kerryman is not updated, try www.kerryseye.com

Hey, Rider, good to see you're still around. I was starting to wonder what happened to you.

There's going to be a new sports center? Where?

Any word on what's going to be inside? A swimming pool? Weight room? An indoor running track? That sort of stuff?

The good news: the online edition of The Kerryman has been updated! :D

The bad news: after a six week wait for the update, nothing exciting happened in Ballybunion last week. :(

police2ae.jpg

Book 'em ALFA !

police2ae.jpg

Book 'em ALFA !

The catch phrase from that new TV show: Ballybunion Five-O :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I used to be the terror of B/B when I was there - or so I am told. :o

Well it was hard to wind down from my time in Limerick - certain references were made to Robocop. I think there was even a song written about me. :D

Well I was a big fan of Hawaii Five O - and found B/B a bit too quite for me in the winter.:rolleyes:

fiesolelargewebview2dk.jpg

I'll just have to go back and see for myself.

Is that you, Sandhill?

Is that you, Sandhill?

That is myself outside Florence this past April.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

hi guys. sorry i have been quiet lately..... work interrupted play!

I hope to have more photos and news after this weekend.

Snow, the sports centre is being built (as we speak) on the site of an old play park. Its on new road (or Kit Ahern road as it is called now), aka the ring road. If you are coming into town from Listowel or Tralee, take the left just before the Garda station and follow road around to the back of the Golf Hotel....its there.
    Not sure whats going to be in it exactly, but there will be a pool! Me and my boys are watching with interest as they are laying foundations for the pool...... it looks small, about 20m. But its better than nothing!

hi guys. sorry i have been quiet lately..... work interrupted play!

I hope to have more photos and news after this weekend.

Snow, the sports centre is being built (as we speak) on the site of an old play park. Its on new road (or Kit Ahern road as it is called now), aka the ring road. If you are coming into town from Listowel or Tralee, take the left just before the Garda station and follow road around to the back of the Golf Hotel....its there.
    Not sure whats going to be in it exactly, but there will be a pool! Me and my boys are watching with interest as they are laying foundations for the pool...... it looks small, about 20m. But its better than nothing!

Welcome back, rider!

More photos and news - always good!

I know the road you're talking about. It's in one of Alfa's photos from the first page of the thread.

• Advertisement

Hope you have your sound on. If not, it is still OK.

viewcard.asp?code=JN27675759

The BALLYBUNION Forum is the place for :
    Golf, Sea Air and many Memories.
    Come back again!

Enjoy.

Enjoy.

That's a very talented dog. He's great at fishing and golf.:D

Hi, Tree, I see you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭A90Six

Hi all,

Had a lot of computer problems, viri etc., had to reformat drives and basically start from scratch. fortunately I had my pics and docs saved elsewhere, but it's taken me a while to remember sites, usernames, passwords, etc.

I shall have to go back and have a rummage through all the posts of the last few months to catch up.

I'll get back into the swing of it before long.

Slainte.

Another familiar face - or name!

Good to see everyone drifting back.

Another familiar face - or name!

Good to see everyone drifting back.

With a smile that only a mother could love. Welcome back A90SIX

9 more views to get to 10,000!

Walking into town:

copyofeastend338kb7sx.th.jpg

thegreatest7jc.jpg

Congratulations to SNOWSCORPION

Starter of the longest Ballybunion thread on the world wide intraweb!

The image above is not of SANDHILLROAD but of SNOWSCORPION , photo taken by Frank Snaps ( remember ?)

• Advertisement

Today is a great day in Ballybunion to:

golf56fy.gif

Later we better have some :

sandwic30lx.gif

To top the day off we will go uptown for :

music0034if.gif

Advertisement